NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 10-16-2015, 09:12 AM
M@tt Schw@de

Default Grading an autograph?

I saw a Babe Ruth PSA Gem Mint 10 cut selling in an auction ending this weekend. Babe Ruth signed a lot and is generally in the 2500-3500 range. The Gem Mint 10 signature is currently at $5500 (wowsers) and we haven't even hit the final day yet. Does having it graded a 10 really add *THAT* much value? I bought a PSA Babe Ruth that was already slabbed and graded a 7 six years ago. Would it command more than the average if it's graded a 7? What would the dropoff be from say a 10 to 9? I just think $5500 is a huge number to pay for a Babe Ruth cut when there is plenty of his signatures out there and I'm assuming that the difference in eye appeal is not that great from a 10 to an 8. I've never had my autographs I'm selling graded, but based on this, I'm wondering if it might be worth it now.

Thanks,
Matt
Old 10-16-2015, 09:51 AM

I don't know if the "10" factors into the price. Eye appeal is going to be the big decider and if you found a "7" and a "10" that looked similar I think you'd see a similar price.
Old 10-16-2015, 10:02 AM
M@tt Schw@de

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
I don't know if the "10" factors into the price. Eye appeal is going to be the big decider and if you found a "7" and a "10" that looked similar I think you'd see a similar price.
I can tell you right now that I'd be shocked if my 7 came near $5K. I love my Ruth, but I'd be unfairly biased if I said it's worth $5k.
Old 10-16-2015, 10:09 AM

Well you're only focused on the grade though. What I'm saying is that the grade I think comes secondary to serious collectors. If your 7 looks just like the signature graded a 10, regardless of the grade I think the price would be similar. But if your signature doesn't look as nice, it would make sense that it would sell for less, even without the 7 attached to it.
Old 10-16-2015, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Well you're only focused on the grade though. What I'm saying is that the grade I think comes secondary to serious collectors. If your 7 looks just like the signature graded a 10, regardless of the grade I think the price would be similar. But if your signature doesn't look as nice, it would make sense that it would sell for less, even without the 7 attached to it.
+1

Just a single data point: I think most would agree I'm a "serious collector." I don't give a damn about PSA or JSA grades, and would never have an item of mine graded. (Or authenticated, for that matter.)
Old 10-16-2015, 11:10 AM
Banned

Some people chase the number and in doing so, they can overpay if they want. yes, a nice dark ruth signature will garner more money, but some people see that number '10' and they get crazy with their pocketbook just because of it.
Old 10-16-2015, 11:34 AM
Fra.nk Rein.stein

I think the other issue, especially with more modern signatures (like Mantle) is that something will grade a 10, and then fade to 9-8 over time. However, it is still "rated" a 10.
Old 10-16-2015, 11:35 AM
Fra.nk Rein.stein

Oh, and to add what others have stated-I stand by the old line that someone once said here-I don't care if it is authentic, as long as it is real.
Old 10-16-2015, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazdmb View Post
I think the other issue, especially with more modern signatures (like Mantle) is that something will grade a 10, and then fade to 9-8 over time. However, it is still "rated" a 10.
Fade to a 9? How much fading is that? At what point did that 10 become a 9? Grading is completely subjective--and thus is bullshit.

And any serious autograph collector will tell you, it's the item that determines value, not the strength of the writing. Content, content, content.
Old 10-16-2015, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazdmb View Post
Oh, and to add what others have stated-I stand by the old line that someone once said here-I don't care if it is authentic, as long as it is real.
+1
Old 10-16-2015, 01:13 PM
K&v!/\/ R@g$d@/3

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Atkatz View Post
Fade to a 9? How much fading is that? At what point did that 10 become a 9? Grading is completely subjective--and thus is bullshit.

And any serious autograph collector will tell you, it's the item that determines value, not the strength of the writing. Content, content, content.
I agree 100% .
The signature itself is the value and the strength of signature for the most part is only important in a few cases.
Value is the item type and CONTENT , if applicable.
This grading is a marketing ploy and another way the grading companies are interfering with the autograph market to line their pockets. If the grading companies have any value it should only be to determine authenticity. And their ability to do that is questionable also!!!
Old 10-16-2015, 01:32 PM

I don't believe in autograph grading but I do happen to own a 10 for what that's worth:

Old 10-16-2015, 02:25 PM
K&v!/\/ R@g$d@/3

Quote:
I don't believe in autograph grading but I do happen to own a 10 for what that's worth:

Do not want to be a smart ass but why is that a 10?
Does anyone know why?
Other than PSA saying it is .
Old 10-16-2015, 02:38 PM

Isn't that enough?
Old 10-16-2015, 02:45 PM

Haha I have no idea to be honest with you. To me it looks like any other sharpie signature without an obvious flaw, like a smear or fading. That was the point I was trying to make. I bought it because it was strong and looked good. The "10" could say anything and I'd have paid the same price.
Old 10-16-2015, 02:47 PM
K&v!/\/ R@g$d@/3

Quote:
Isn't that enough?
I forgot PSA is the great and infallible judger of all...they may start issuing LOAs on humans and grading us also . Who knows maybe they will slab us also!
Old 10-16-2015, 03:51 PM
M@tt Schw@de

Thanks guys and I agree on the content piece! Thanks!
Old 10-16-2015, 06:15 PM
Steve Zarelli

Quote:
Agree. I've seen supposed "10s" that were dark and bold, but terribly sloppy examples. Is that more desirable than a textbook perfect exemplar that has a tiny amount of fading and graded an 8?

Just a marketing ploy for registry mind slaves in my opinion.
Old 10-18-2015, 07:04 PM
M@tt Schw@de

$6500 before BP.... SMH.
Old 10-19-2015, 01:09 PM
Bob Davies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klrdds View Post
Do not want to be a smart ass but why is that a 10?
Does anyone know why?
Other than PSA saying it is .
Because it looks nothing like the printed signature on the card itself...