NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-06-2014, 02:28 AM
Bill Gregory

Default Follow the yellow Mick road! Follow the yellow Mick road!

So, I'm obviously not Dorothy, nor am I the Scarecrow, the Tin Woodsman or the Cowardly Lion. And, it's not likely that I am I going to "ease on down the road" anytime soon. I'd probably mess up my knee again if I tried. But I have decided, after much consideration, to start what will be a very long journey, indeed. Today, in setting aside $100, I have begun saving for my very own 1952 Topps Mickey Mantle. I have taken that first step down my very own yellow brick road.

"When you come to a fork in the Yellow Brick road, take it."-Yogi Berra

And when I finally do arrive at the Emerald City, several years from now, with my money in hand, I am hoping not to see the Wizard, but the Mick Himself, in all his glory. Not young Mick, mind you. I'd hate to show up after my long journey only to learn that he, Yogi, Hank and Billy were out late on another all-night bender at the Copacabana. No, I'm talking middle age Mick, still healthy. Still full of life. And, I'm hoping to find the Mick on a good day, so he will give me not brains, not courage, and not a heart, but a trip back to Kansas. Wait, no. I'm hoping he will help me find a '52 Topps Mickey Mantle! Can you manage that, oh great and powerful Mick?

"Therefore, by virtue of the authority vested in me as a member of the 500 home run club,
I hereby present to you this fine example of my 1952 Topps card, in a PSA 3 grade, without qualifiers!"

This road will not be easy. It will require incredible discipline on my part, as my road to the Emerald City will be a long one. I'm hoping to get to the '52 Mantle before I'm 50. I'm 42 now. It will mean setting aside a little every month for years, until one day I wake up back home, safe in bed after suffering a bad bump to my head.

"Home! And this is my room. And look, you're all here. Yogi, and Hank, and Billy...

Let's see if I can do it. There are many baseball cards I want. Several distractions along the way. A T206 set to build. Clemente and Yount PCs to add to. A '53 Bowman Color set to work on. My '33 and '34 Goudeys. Oh, and those blasted E95 and E96 Philadelphia Caramels. And my T202s. And I really love those Exhibits cards. And postcards, too.

But just $100 a month, a little more when I can spare it...chunks of my tax returns when I get them...I can do it. I will be the little cheesehead that could.

The 1952 Topps Mickey Mantle is pretty much the ultimate prize for any modern baseball card collector. God willing, I have many years ahead of me to work on the rest of my collection. But the Mick is something I'm going to work on. Four years ago, I could have saved for a few months, and bought it. It's funny, though, how bumps in the road change perspective. I appreciate money more now, and when I finally get my Mantle (and I will), I think I'll appreciate it all the more.

So, I look forward to taking this trip, and invite you guys, my friends, to share it with me.

Today, I just bought the tip of the lower left corner! Only $8-10,000 more to go (holy cow, did I just say that??!!)

So, here's my running total.....how much I have saved.....

$100!!!

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.

Last edited by the 'stache; 05-06-2014 at 02:40 AM.