NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 02-18-2022, 05:58 AM

Excellent as usual, like the Indian association.
Old 02-18-2022, 06:55 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Awesome stuff, Carlton. Thanks for sharing!
Old 02-28-2022, 11:27 AM

Default Who was Tim Callahan

This was always one of my favorite posts...so I'm rehashing it here
Originally posted February 25th 2014

photo LSTimCallahanD_zpsb9769e8c.jpg

I picked up this Lucky Strike trolley car sign this last November from fellow board member WillowGrove, thank you Peter!....I actually had seen it about 6 months prior on eBay and when it got past $100.00 or so I bailed because of the condition...mostly forgot about it until one day I saw it in the Net54 BST section...Peter and I arm wrestled over a month I think it was...and we finally made the deal...It was a partial trade and cash deal but the total dollar amount was quite a bit more than the $100 I bowed out at on eBay...but it just kept speaking to me...Regardless of the condition where would I ever find another Lucky Strike trolley with an Ivy League football player from 1919...it really was my kind of piece...So what the hay I finally bit the bullet...

It wasn't like there was a lot of background on Callahan...I had to do some digging...Once I found the Times Square photo below I started thinking...who is this guy...20 years old...has his mug plastered on Times Square!...Employed as a national advertising vehicle...Yes he was the Yale football Captain but I couldn't find anything really extraordinary...then when I read about his blue blood Boston heritage and all...dating Rose Fitzgerald (later Rose Kennedy)...I think maybe he was just hooked up with the right crowd...Then I was curious what ever happened to him...Went on to a career lawyering first for the Justice Department fighting for prohibition...then later with the Securities and Exchange Commission as a prosecutor...So now I just have to get it restored!...

photo LuckyStrikeTim_zpsc39c0dd8.jpg

photo LuckyStrikeTimCallahanSignCloseRed_zps4dfc6b33.jpg

photo JohnT1_zps20e3209b.jpg

photo CallahanBrothersYalevsPrinceton_zpsd50d5c6b.jpg

photo TeamBlue_zpsce002f79.jpg

photo Scores_zps0aabae6c.jpg

photo FloridaSighting_zpscbe7073d.jpg

photo 1_zps389a3a13.jpg
 photo 2_zps82ab8a38.jpg
 photo 3_zpsa9de9c1c.jpg

photo R1_zpsf7a86bbc.jpg
 photo R2_zps3f7a3c7c.jpg
 photo R3_zps6589917c.jpg

Last edited by CarltonHendricks; 02-28-2022 at 11:50 AM.
Old 03-01-2022, 11:31 AM
Rob

^^^^ Would Tim Callahan have been able to endorse Luckys while at Yale or would that sign have been made shortly after he graduated?
Old 03-02-2022, 12:39 AM

Default goo question

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooo-ribay View Post
^^^^ Would Tim Callahan have been able to endorse Luckys while at Yale or would that sign have been made shortly after he graduated?
Good question...I assume while at yale...

Old 03-02-2022, 06:11 AM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarltonHendricks View Post
Good question...I assume while at yale...
I thought that kind of thing wasn’t allowed for amateur athletes….
Old 03-02-2022, 12:26 PM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooo-ribay View Post
I thought that kind of thing wasn’t allowed for amateur athletes….
The NCAA did not exist back then. The only athletes who were held to a higher, and many times obscene/unreasonable, standard back then were those who compete in AAU competitions. Football was not an AAU sport. Athletics (track and field) and swimming were the sports that fell under that purview. James 'The Tyrant' Sullivan was responsible for creating those high standards and they remained in place even after he died in 1914. He was a bit of a hypocrite though. He refused to recognize U.S. and world records if the athletes did not wear Spalding track shoes. He was partially employed by them and thus in their pocket.

"The man who can keep a secret may be wise, but he is not half as wise as the man with no secrets to keep”

Last edited by Michael B; 03-02-2022 at 12:27 PM.
Old 03-03-2022, 11:03 PM

Default Best Hat Box

https://www.sportsantiques.com/2013natrt2.htm
Show your hat boxes...here is probably the best I've ever seen...saw it tonight in an old 2013 National story linked above...it was in the Springfield Antiques Center in Springfield Ohio...probably should have bought it...priced right and all, I just didn't want to deal with getting all the way home...plus the size...hat boxes....cigar boxes....that crate I just bought...take up a lot of real estate...nevertheless I should have bought and had them ship it...never seen a better...

Last edited by CarltonHendricks; 03-03-2022 at 11:06 PM.
Old 03-03-2022, 11:26 PM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

Show your hat boxes...here is probably the best I've ever seen...saw it tonight in an old 2013 National story linked above...it was in the Springfield Antiques Center in Springfield Ohio...probably should have bought it...priced right and all, I just didn't want to deal with getting all the way home...plus the size...hat boxes....cigar boxes....that crate I just bought...take up a lot of real estate...nevertheless I should have bought and had them ship it...never seen a better...

Carlton,

Those Springfield, OH antique centers are pretty extensive. There are 3 good ones within two exits on Rte 70. I stopped at them on my way to The National last summer. I found a certificate signed by BB HOFer Morgan Bulkeley and an item signed by one of the original photographers from the 1896 Olympics, Burton Holmes. I sort of skimmed the display cases since I still had a little bit of a drive to Indianapolis. Seeing 15-20 rows of 8 foot tall glass cases is pretty impressive. I saw a lot of Ohio State items and other sports memorabilia. If you wanted to look real close in every case you could spend a day in each one.

"The man who can keep a secret may be wise, but he is not half as wise as the man with no secrets to keep”
Old 03-04-2022, 12:17 AM

Default you bet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael B View Post

Carlton,

Those Springfield, OH antique centers are pretty extensive. There are 3 good ones within two exits on Rte 70. I stopped at them on my way to The National last summer. I found a certificate signed by BB HOFer Morgan Bulkeley and an item signed by one of the original photographers from the 1896 Olympics, Burton Holmes. I sort of skimmed the display cases since I still had a little bit of a drive to Indianapolis. Seeing 15-20 rows of 8 foot tall glass cases is pretty impressive. I saw a lot of Ohio State items and other sports memorabilia. If you wanted to look real close in every case you could spend a day in each one.

Oh yeah it's target rich...I hit um all whenever I come thru there...

Old 03-16-2022, 08:32 PM

Default Boat Stuff

Here's my latest boat stuff...I struck gold recently...picked up these two pieces back to back...I was on the lookout for one of these air intake cowls a long time...passed on ones I later wished I'd gotten...when I was still learning stage...but recently I got this one that blows the others out of the water...I wasn't expecting to find one this good....in person it's stunning...practically looks like a statue in my collection...

And then...there was this boat steering wheel...best boat steering wheel I'd ever seen...guesstimate about c1920...Paid more than I wanted to go but good ones like this just don't show up so went for it...it's my third one...

Old 03-17-2022, 10:27 AM

Would like to add to my knowledge
what makes this a boat steering wheel and not a car steering wheel is it the size?
Old 03-18-2022, 05:38 AM

OK, I seriously give Carlton my vote for "Most Interesting Guy"
with the most eclectic, well researched collection on the planet.

Love this thread!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Most interesting guy image.jpg (107.3 KB, 972 views)
Old 03-20-2022, 11:46 PM

Default Back-Story

Scott…oh my gosh what a hoot…you really got a laugh out of me…I need a get-up like that…

Ron…Thanks for asking that…I always ask the same question with these steering wheels…I’ve yet to find a wheel with markings you could research…so there isn’t any science to it…no one has published on it…I’m still learning the ropes but basically you have to ask questions as to where it came from…and gather as much intel you can before buying…As for this one…There’s no makers marks to prove its from a Gar Wood boat but the engraving is very unusual…and over-all it has an unusual look….intuition said I could regret not getting it even though it was pricey….seller told me later that the collection he got it from was in Springfield Ontairo Canada…which is right there in the Great Lakes region, sort of the motherland of early powerboating…Gar Wood…Hacker…Chris-Craft…Dodge… were all there in that region…Not to mention the renown Canadian boat builders of the Muskokas region of Ontario… Port Carling, Ditchburn, Minett-Shields, Greavette, and Duke…As for the difference between an automobile and boat steering wheel…I asked one classic boat authority this question about my wheel: Is there any way to tell for sure it’s from a boat?....He wrote back: “Many boats used automotive wheels, so it probably was from a car manufacturer. Whether or not it was ever in a car, who knows”…I could see that in some instances…but for those high end powerboats that went to the mega-rich of the day…I might speculate special wheels were made…After this post you’ll be noticing every antique steering wheel you see LOL…

Old 03-21-2022, 08:58 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

Default Obviously

"I'm Carlton ......... And This is My World"

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 03-21-2022, 12:56 PM

thanks for info carlton
the lesson is if u are not sure ask someone that may know more than u
the one pic of the garwood top left corner with the 4 spoke wheel makes sense as to why this may be from a garwood
Old 03-21-2022, 03:49 PM
Jimmy

I concur.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Garner View Post
OK, I seriously give Carlton my vote for "Most Interesting Guy"
with the most eclectic, well researched collection on the planet.

Love this thread!
Old 03-21-2022, 05:52 PM
Jeff Carlson

Seeing these recent posts reminded me of visiting the Antique Boat Museum in Clayton, NY on the St. Lawrence River. It is an absolutely fantastic museum and you can actually take rides on the river in one of the wood boats they have restored.
Old 03-28-2022, 04:09 AM

Default Fred Archer

Just unpacked this terra cotta tobacco jar of famed English horseracing jockey Fred Archer 1857-1886…Over the years I’d seen stevengraphs and I think maybe tobacco cards of Fred Archer, but never knew much about him...But I was attracted to this because it was figural…once I got it unpacked and displayed I was glad I got it…has some cracks but for a buck fifty I can live with it…came from England. A tragic figure but great at what he did…

Frederick James "Fred" Archer
Born 11 January 1857 Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, England
Died November 8, 1886, Newmarket, Suffolk, United Kingdom

Fred Archer, also known by the nickname The Tin Man, was an English flat race jockey of the Victorian era, described as "the best all-round jockey that the turf has ever seen". Delirious from wasting and the loss of his wife during childbirth, he took his own life at the age of 29.
alchetron.com

Last edited by CarltonHendricks; 03-28-2022 at 04:20 AM.
Old 04-03-2022, 04:13 PM

Default Evinrude

Here's today's snag at Alameda...It’s a great consolation prize for getting outbid today on the double sided Dodge Boats sign below....I thought I had a decent crack at it with an $1100.00 bid...ha!...went for $6200.00...the other boat signs in the same auction went for big money too...It was a learning excursion for me...I knew boat stuff was curiously high for as obscure as it is...but apparently not as obscure as I thought...and I'm not the only one that likes the stuff...Dodge...Hacker...Chris-Craft...and Gar Wood are basically the biggest names in early powerboat racing....would have been nice to get the Dodge...That Evinrude is quite remarkable though...not powerboat racing but too good to pass up...you don't usually find stuff that caliber at Alameda...Usually things that good go in a brick and mortar...The seller knew the history of the poster...said he got it from the family of someone who worked at the Schreiber establishment that sold Evinrudes on Tomales Bay in Marin County, north of the Golden Gate Bridge...referenced on the bottom the poster...and I found a photos online of the business...I think the seller said the building is an historic landmark or something...Useless information...Drakes Bay where we used to cut school and go to isn't far from there...

Last edited by CarltonHendricks; 04-08-2022 at 11:32 AM.
Old 04-04-2022, 07:37 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Cool stuff, Carlton. Thanks for sharing!
Old 04-04-2022, 07:48 AM
Hank Thomas

Quote:
Scott…oh my gosh what a hoot…you really got a laugh out of me…I need a get-up like that…

Ron…Thanks for asking that…I always ask the same question with these steering wheels…I’ve yet to find a wheel with markings you could research…so there isn’t any science to it…no one has published on it…I’m still learning the ropes but basically you have to ask questions as to where it came from…and gather as much intel you can before buying…As for this one…There’s no makers marks to prove its from a Gar Wood boat but the engraving is very unusual…and over-all it has an unusual look….intuition said I could regret not getting it even though it was pricey….seller told me later that the collection he got it from was in Springfield Ontairo Canada…which is right there in the Great Lakes region, sort of the motherland of early powerboating…Gar Wood…Hacker…Chris-Craft…Dodge… were all there in that region…Not to mention the renown Canadian boat builders of the Muskokas region of Ontario… Port Carling, Ditchburn, Minett-Shields, Greavette, and Duke…As for the difference between an automobile and boat steering wheel…I asked one classic boat authority this question about my wheel: Is there any way to tell for sure it’s from a boat?....He wrote back: “Many boats used automotive wheels, so it probably was from a car manufacturer. Whether or not it was ever in a car, who knows”…I could see that in some instances…but for those high end powerboats that went to the mega-rich of the day…I might speculate special wheels were made…After this post you’ll be noticing every antique steering wheel you see LOL…

Those boats are gorgeous. What do they go for?
Old 04-04-2022, 07:53 AM
Jeffrey Kuhr

As Always Great Stuff Carlton

When are you going to pitch a show to History Channel or someplace for your reality show?

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 04-04-2022, 08:00 AM
qualitycards

As always, one of my favorite threads on N54, keep em coming Carlton
Old 04-19-2022, 01:35 AM

Default Everitt Race Car Photo

I initially saw this photo at the Nov. 2021 Grass Valley Old West show…I bought a bunch of stuff that weekend and had to pass…but four months went by and it was still on my mind…but I couldn’t recall the dealer to see if he still had it…I saw him set up at the San Francisco Book and Paper fair in February…He didn’t bring it but said he still had it…problem was he lived 5hrs away in Three Rivers Calif near Fresno…So last week he texted me he would be set up a the Gas City Saloon show in Stockton April 16th….So finally I went and bought it…

The Everitt was manufactured from 1909 until 1912 by the Metzger Motor Car Company in Detroit…there were quite a few cars made in Detroit back then by different companies you’ve probably never heard of…Personal and jobbing out were all very intertwined…bodies made to order for other companies…seats and interiors jobbed out…and a lot of buy outs…Chrysler buying dodge…etc..etc…it was kind of the wild west of manufacturing…as the automobile was selling like hot cakes…

I’ve had it two days and still can’t sort it all out…Not sure where the track is…It looks perhaps like it was a practice run....as I don’t see any other cars…For me several aspects make it exceptional…First the 30” x 12” size is rare for that early…I’m all about big photos…The frame looks original from the 1910 period and the glass is wavy so I’m convinced it was produced in the same era it represents….so it’s “old”…Then you have the wide angle view…almost panoramic….The image says a lot…look at that stream of dust coming out from behind the front right wheel…then look at the cloud of dust extending all the way around the track…That’s good photography…good capture…The three gentleman standing in the track are interesting…they don’t look like fans….more like company principles very interested in how fast it can go…the one on the right looks like he may be holding a stopwatch…

It’s all about the clues with photos like these…little tell-tale nuances that help you figure out the who what where…In this instance there really isn’t a lot to go on…But having the EVERITT on the hood is certainly cornerstone…There is a number 1 on the grill…that’s interesting….implying it was in races...where is yet to be learned…And then I hit some pay dirt…on the back is a sticker…DENVER is very clear…That’s certainly interesting…so I spent a lot of time trying to trace the sticker…after a lot of detective work the sticker says:

J. Gibson Smith
Art Dealer
322 17th St.
Denver

Essentially…it sounds like J. Gibson Smith was a picture framer who sold art at some point…So either the photo was taken elsewhere than the Denver region and brought in for framing…or it was taken in the Denver area…I found one photo of the…but that’s just a bunch of hunches…I have some iron in the fire waiting to hear back…

Old 04-19-2022, 11:43 AM
Shawn England

Default Eddie

That would be cool if it was Eddie Rickenbacker driving that car being that he had teamed up with Barney Everitt and gang...
Old 04-19-2022, 11:55 AM
Paul Lehr

That's a fantastic photo!
Old 04-19-2022, 02:02 PM
Jeffrey Kuhr

still think you should pitch a reality show about your hobby and exploits

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 04-19-2022, 05:52 PM
Matt

Carlton...........Awesome photo. I would not have walked away from that piece the 1st time, no way! Glad you were still able to get it. Very cool.
Old 04-24-2022, 04:45 AM

Default Woolworth Trophy

Thanks Shawn, Paul, Jeffrey, and Matt for your kind words on the Everitt photo...Jeffrey sir...yes a T.V. show would be nice...maybe I should start pitching something...Mike Wolf said he pitched his show for five years before he got it started...Don't think I haven't thought about it...it's just that it's everything I can do to work a full time job plus hunt this stuff down...and I'm having so much fun!!!!...

OUTBID ON AN OUTBOARD
Here’s an outbid story for ya…just went down Friday…I spotted this c1930 outboard motor boat race trophy on eBay soon after it was listed…so it was nine days of getting ready…that is…due diligence research…and in-turn deciding what to bid…I watched it close while I was at work…I was emotionally exhausted after the auction ended and actually had to go sit down and take a break….What a companion piece it would have been for that Evinrude poster I got a few weeks ago...Inboard's are my preference...the big powerboat races are the inboards...the Detroit Gold Cup....and the Palm Beach regattas and all...nevertheless I've never seen a better outboard trophy...

WHAT A COMPANION PIECE IT WOULD HAVE MADE

Half way thru the week of watching it I decided to forego the usual snipeing and bid I think it was $1850...figuring let it get run over then i can forget about it and get on with my life...and yes I got out bid....but I kept thinking about it and decided to up it to like $2150...with a snipe bid...which got run over about the last few hours before it closed...Fineally it got to $3600...within the last 20 minutes...so it was do or die...I decided to go one last hitch and bid $3650...I was top bidder with about 10 minutes left...and boom...got run over again by two bidders...ended up at $3839.10

So what this is…is an outboard boat race trophy for races that took place in Winthrop, Maine on Lake Maranacook between 1928-30 or thereabouts…much of its history is right in the engraving…but to really understand it I had to dive into research…

ADDENDA 4/26/22 (meant to include this)
Before going further I should point out this type trophy is what’s called “presentation silver”…that is…there’s two basic types of antique American trophies…you have your typical silver plate stock cups ordered out of a catalog…Then you have a higher level quality trophy that are one of a kind made to order and are sterling silver…typically like this trophy the title, inscriptions and art work are cast in the surface…not engraved like catalog ordered trophies…Even the fantastic figural Spalding trophies as great as they are were of the catalog ordered variety…But this Woolworth trophy would be considered “Presentation Silver”…and presentation silver is sort of a different animal…if you get into it you’ll see very elaborate works that were typically given by...or to…the very wealthy…given for something the very wealthy wanted to commemorate…in a price is no object fashion…Presentation silver is a whole subject unto its self…for another time…but in short the grand works usually show up in Sotheby’s, Christie’s, and Heritage…and generally were produced from about 1890 to about the late 1930’s…so this trophy would be from about the end of that era…I would guess by the 1930’s most of the old timer craftsman who had made the great works were retired...and the art died off…like I say it’s a story for another time….

As you can see it’s called the “Woolworth Trophy”...many of the younger generation may not recognize the Woolworth name…But there was a time when everyone knew Woolworth’s…or the official name F. W. Woolworth Company Five and Dime…The founder Frank Winfield Woolworth 1852-1919 pioneered the retail the store in that he put products out on the floor for customers to choose from…Before he started in business typically customers would come to the counter and request something and the clerk would bring it to the counter…I am not an expert on Woolworth’s…I just have a little knowledge from reading up….so fact check me…I could easily miss-up something…But generally from what I read Frank was very particular how his stores looked and operated…and he worked hard to fashion them his way…

F.A. WOOLWORTH I KNOW....BUT WHO'S F.M. WOOLWORTH
So back to this trophy…as you can see, prominently inscribed on the Trophy…It’s titled “The Woolworth Trophy” and was provided by “Mrs. F. M. Woolworth”…Ok so I knew it must be somehow connected to the Woolworth stores…a little research and I learned F.W. Woolworth stood for the founder Frank Winfield Woolworth…So who was “F. M. Woolworth”…A little digging and I learned it was Frank’s cousin “Fred Moore Woolworth” 1872-1923…In 1909 Fred went to England to start Woolworth stores there…about forty four of them…and was very successful…you can read up on him on this page linked here…But he died at fifty one years old, possibly from over work…His wife who gave the trophy was Velma Bailey Woolworth 1875-1934....I believe she was originally from Maine and returned there after her husband died…Fred and Velma had a son Norman Bailey Woolworth 1901-1962…From my cursory review…I think Norman may have given a different Woolworth Trophy for outboard races around 1949-50…

Last edited by CarltonHendricks; 04-26-2022 at 12:27 PM.
Old 04-24-2022, 09:14 AM
Rob

Sorry you lost out, Carlton. At least two people got you and it wasn’t the (my) usual of “one friggin’ guy on the whole planet” syndrome. I feel a little better coming in 3rd or 4th than second.

I was wondering if you ever go the restoration route? Your Evinrude poster could be even more spectacular….
Old 04-26-2022, 12:24 PM

Default Yes on Restoration et al

Thanks Rob...yeah on the Evinrude I already decided it's too important not to restore...I haven’t decided who to use…anyone have suggestions?

FYI…I forgot to address the “presentation silver” aspect of the Woolworth…so added it to the post in red…

Last edited by CarltonHendricks; 04-26-2022 at 12:24 PM.
Old 04-26-2022, 01:05 PM
Mich@el K. Tr0tnic

Quote:
Thanks Rob...yeah on the Evinrude I already decided it's too important not to restore...I haven’t decided who to use…anyone have suggestions?

FYI…I forgot to address the “presentation silver” aspect of the Woolworth…so added it to the post in red…
Not The Art of Restoration in Chicago
Old 04-26-2022, 04:52 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Valiant attempt, Carlton...

I really hope that Woolworth Trophy makes its way to you some day. What a beautiful artistic piece, and just perfect for your great collection!
Old 04-28-2022, 01:23 PM
T!M R10rd@n

Carlton,

I love the passion, the effort, and the fact that you share all of these amazing things and stories with us!

Thank you!

Successful transactions with:
300dw123, autograf, bn2cardz, buymycards, CobbvLajoie1910, Daves_resale_shop, frankbmd, GoCubsGo32, GoldenAge50s, GrayGhost, Head928, Jayworld, jdl860, jgmp123, kamikidEFFL, larrie804, Leerob538, lharri3600, Lordstan, megalimey, Orioles1954, quinnsryche, Redleg25, rjackson44, Rob D., SAllen2556, scmavl, slantycouch, slipk1068, Smanzari, TCMA, thetruthisouthere, Wolfgang427, yanks12025, ZackS
Old 04-29-2022, 09:37 PM

Carlton - Why didn't you just put another zero before the decimal. Guaranteed to win, right ?

Seriously, I enjoy your collecting passion so much. See you at the shows. All the best.
Old 04-30-2022, 08:57 PM

Default Gar Jr.

Thank you all for the kind words...here's an interesting pick up from today...I thought I recognized the trophy in this press photo...checked my files and sure enough...Dealer was asking more than I wanted to pay when I saw it in 2013...I see him around at shows still...last I asked he still had it...but now...not only is it only Gar Wood's son...now I know it's missing the top...

Last edited by CarltonHendricks; 04-30-2022 at 09:12 PM.
Old 05-01-2022, 08:28 AM
Rob

….and the top is pretty damn cool.
Old 05-07-2022, 12:21 AM

Default Grass Valley

Yesterday I went to the Grass Valley Old West show....Towards the end of the day I didn't think I was going to find anything more than a couple small pickups, a 1921 Excelsior Motorcycle catalog...and a damaged but very early French penny toy of a motorcycle...paid a record amount for the penny toy...$10.00...It's probably the least expensive thing ever sold at that show....In the early 20th century they sold penny toys of many themes on the street in big cities in the United States and western Europe...New York, London, Paris, etc....But anyway at the end of the day as I was about to leave the show bronze dealer Chuck Morgenstern offered me this Vienna Polo Bronze for a price I had to bite...so worked it into my cabinet...

It's amazing the mallet is original...never broken off....And the horses body is suspended by only the back legs...the two front legs don't touch the base...So though it's unsigned I would speculate whoever the sculptor was they were seasoned...I'd like to think it was done by Franz Bergman, the king of Vienna bronze sculptors...But far as I know I think his pieces were usually signed...The three conjoined soccer/Euro football players to the left of the polo is a Bergman...Maybe the baseball batter catcher is too I can't recall...I would speculate there were number of studios in Vienna who produced Vienna bronzes other than Bergman at the height of their popularity...

I'll throw in some other shots of the show too at the bottom...

Last edited by CarltonHendricks; 05-31-2022 at 01:59 AM.
Old 05-07-2022, 12:33 AM

Default More Grass Valley Shots

Here's some more photos of the Grass Valley show...I didn't take a ton...but here's a few...

Old 05-08-2022, 02:15 PM
Rob

I really dig the Excelsior catalog!

Looks like a great show to browse around at.
Old 05-21-2022, 03:10 PM

Default outbid again

Got outbid on this today…bummer I really had my eye on it…weird German auction on liveauctions…huge two day affair…tons of Porsche memorabilia…from ephemera to car parts….v little antique stuff like this…never seen an auction quite like it…and of course being in Germany started at 1:00AM Pacific Time…watched it all week I was the only bidder…whole thing was kind of weird…very sparse description...condition wasn’t even addressed…one dark photo to go on…

Description Quote:
early '20s, trophy motorist support himself on a wheel and tire with laurel in the hand, in a dress that is typical of its time , on a marble base, height: 29cm

So I dinked around all week with a minimum opening bid of 440 Euro…then yesterday…kept upping it...till about 3 this morning I put one last bid of 600 euro and went to bed...it was only 50 bids away and I was the only bidder but I wasn’t going to stay up for it….then I wake up and it says I lost it and it went for 600 euro…wha the…Only thing I can figure is someone left an in-person top bid of 600 Euro directly with the auction house prior to my bid...and that topped my internet bid…What's strange though is all those "COMPETING BIDS" in the bid history below...I think those were all my bids...so I don't know what to think...

At about 11 ½” including the base…I don’t ever recall seeing anything quite like it….bummer…

Old 05-24-2022, 01:45 AM

Default Cactus II

I’m not a big postcard guy but this one of the Cactus II yacht caught my eye…I like ones like this that are advertising… The company that issued the postcard and made the yacht was the Williams-Whittelsey Company, of Long Island City, N.Y…There’s a Wikipedia page about them that is a little sparse….but to have a Wikipedia page they must have been somebody…Anyway…the boat was so sleek and cool looking…I bit…

One of the principles of Williams-Whittelsey Company was H. Newton Whittelsey…I think he designed this yacht…he had a long career in marine architecture…I found references to the yacht being owned by C.E. Proctor…my first inkling was he was probably the Proctor in Proctor and Gamble…however…I couldn’t connect him…so kept plugging away…and found a C.E. Proctor of the Proctor Furniture Company of Knoxville Tennessee…

Great looking boat…One thing about yachts and ships is there are usually surviving records of them…If I went looking I could probably tell you the whole life story from who and where it was built…to all the succeeding owners…to where it was sunk or scrapped…but it’s just a little postcard…

Wealthy…middle-class..or poor….when men and their toys get together they often get competitive…and yacht owners were right in there…seems they often couldn’t just enjoy cruising…they inherently wanted to race each other…I’m still learning the ropes on all this boating stuff but I think, other than the America's Cup which was for the big dogs...the major yacht race for average rich guys was from New York to the Bermuda Islands…can be a pretty grueling race…and I think once a yacht did that race it took on the moniker of “a Bermuda Racer” from then on…like a status…

I never found any reference to Cactus II as a Bermuda racer…but in the flurry of cursory researching I think I saw a reference to Cactus II in some races…the races were called regattas…sometimes “water carnivals”…typically put on by a yacht club...and there were many...

Last edited by CarltonHendricks; 05-24-2022 at 03:52 AM.
Old 06-07-2022, 03:36 AM

Default June Alameda

Here's my Alameda folk art pickup from last Sunday...made of steel no plastic...guesstimate c1930's...Have to make a stand for it...Then the motorcycle painting at the bottom...oil on board...looks like a flat track race the way they have their foot out...I'm not a mid century collector but the art quality and condition had me...

Last edited by CarltonHendricks; 06-07-2022 at 03:45 AM.
Old 06-07-2022, 07:53 AM

Default Sat Evening Post Cover

I like the bronze, Carlton. If you like the Univ of Penn poster football image you might find one of these. Nov. 14 1908 Saturday Evening Post.

I immediately recognized your poster image
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SEP6.jpg (194.8 KB, 352 views)
Old 06-07-2022, 12:10 PM

Default Thanks

Thanks Hoy...I'm guessing you are referring to the auto racer statue...not actually bronze but spelter...A friend in the Netherlands sent me a bunch of photos of Euro statues with the same pose...see below....

https://www.sportsantiques.com/PurdueNWBBPost.htm
Yeah that Saturday Evening Post cover was one of many that the artist Joseph Leyendecker did monthly for the SEP...including an occasional sports illustration...I had one that had the same kicker...for a high school...I did a story back in 2010 which addresses it...which seems to point to Leyendecker shrewdly getting his monies worth from his work by allowing that image to be used for a high school...link to story above...

Old 06-07-2022, 03:52 PM

Carlton - sorry, new to the forum and late to this thread... I was referring to the "Two Strikes" Vienna bronze you posted a couple of years ago.

Here are two other SEP illustrations, both baseball. The bunting batter looks poised for a broken finger or thumb! But I still love these.

Found a treasure trove of old SEPs magazines at a road side book store in WV last fall. These were the only sports covers (plus an automobile one I don't have displayed).

-Hoy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SEP7.jpg (191.2 KB, 314 views)
File Type: jpg SEP8.jpg (193.8 KB, 314 views)

Last edited by Hoy'sNoDummy; 06-07-2022 at 03:53 PM.
Old 06-07-2022, 11:39 PM

Default Vienna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoy'sNoDummy View Post
Carlton - sorry, new to the forum and late to this thread... I was referring to the "Two Strikes" Vienna bronze you posted a couple of years ago.

Here are two other SEP illustrations, both baseball. The bunting batter looks poised for a broken finger or thumb! But I still love these.

Found a treasure trove of old SEPs magazines at a road side book store in WV last fall. These were the only sports covers (plus an automobile one I don't have displayed).

-Hoy

https://sportsantiques.com/viennabbbronze.htm
Great covers...and framed up nice...thanks on the Vienna Two Strikes... above a link to a 2009 feature I did...where it all started...

Old 06-15-2022, 11:42 AM

Default golf

Just to show I'm not only about boats...here's a pickup from earlier this year...this hit the gotta have it level...only example I've ever seen...

Last edited by CarltonHendricks; 06-15-2022 at 11:52 AM.
Old 06-21-2022, 04:10 AM

Default Fort Sutter Motorcycle Swap Meet

Last Friday June 17th 2022 I attended the Fort Sutter Motorcycle Swap Meet held at the Dixon Calif fairgrounds…put on by the Fort Sutter Chapter of the Antique Motorcycle Club of America…This was the second time I had gone to it…the last was in June 2019…and this was the first one since then because of covid…WOW the Lord blessed me and I scored big…picked up a c1930’s Indian jersey…in thirty five plus years going to every kind of antiques show I’ve never seen one of these surface…It was essentially a virgin/first up the food chain find…an older gentleman had it hanging on one of the posts of his tent when I spotted it…It got a lot of attention carrying it around before I it out to my truck…

Last edited by CarltonHendricks; 06-21-2022 at 12:17 PM.