NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 06-17-2015, 02:23 PM
Mark

Default Chipping paint on vintage stadium seats

My wife and son bought me a vintage stadium seat from Engel Field in Chattanooga for my collection room.

The seat is in usable shape and I plan on sitting on it in my room, however the paint on the seat is chipping considerably.

I'm shying away from repainting it as you can see several different colors of paint on it now showing the years (green, red, yellow)

Any advise on how to keep it from chipping away too much without damaging the integrity of the seat.

Old 06-17-2015, 05:18 PM
Joe

Nice seat Mark, very cool looking! Others my have a different opinion or more experience to offer other suggestions, but my personal preference for a seat like this is to keep the original condition, and not refinish - adds to the character and charm. I think you have two options....keep as is, or if you really want to get use as a seat, I think you need to refinish. Personally I would leave as is and find another chair to sit in.
Old 06-17-2015, 06:09 PM
Ron V

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagesportscollector View Post
Nice seat Mark, very cool looking! Others my have a different opinion or more experience to offer other suggestions, but my personal preference for a seat like this is to keep the original condition, and not refinish - adds to the character and charm. I think you have two options....keep as is, or if you really want to get use as a seat, I think you need to refinish. Personally I would leave as is and find another chair to sit in.

I have to agree with Joe. I have shibe park seats that are chipping the red paint and under it you can see the original green and the seat numbers. I personally like them like this unless they are really bad then I would restore. Very nice seat.
Old 06-17-2015, 06:27 PM
Rick

Be aware that the paint may be lead based. I like seats in original condition, to me they tell more of a story that way . I have seats both ways; original and refurbished.
Old 06-18-2015, 03:39 PM
D3nn!s B@!!ou

I'd leave it be.
Old 06-18-2015, 03:49 PM
Chris Wassmuth

Probably a dumb thought but could you spray it with a low-gloss clear coating to keep the look of the peeling paint without having to worry about it flaking off? Seems like it might be the best of both worlds but might not work.
Old 06-18-2015, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwazzy View Post
Probably a dumb thought but could you spray it with a low-gloss clear coating to keep the look of the peeling paint without having to worry about it flaking off? Seems like it might be the best of both worlds but might not work.
This occurred to me as well, but I'd think a thicker coat or multiple coats would work better to hold the current finish in place and that brushing on may help achieve that better than spraying, which I think would leave a thinner coat. First, I'd gently peel off the loose flakes because, let's face it, they're going to flake off anyway in time if you actually sit on the seat as you said. With the loose flakes off and the remaining paint protected by the clear coat (polyurethane, I'd think), you just might be able to keep it from flaking even more.

Overall, I'm a fan of leaving such things as is and, if it were mine, I'd probably display it without alteration and not sit in it.
Old 06-19-2015, 05:33 PM
M@rk Comer

Default Chair

I'd leave it as it is. I have a couple Memorial Stadium seats which are basically doing the same thing. I sit in them every once in a while with a few flakes coming off now and then. I think the seats look just fine like this...
Old 06-19-2015, 07:43 PM
Matt

Default Ditto

Hey Mark..............Like everyone else said, leave them original as they are so much more attractive with the vintage character. Refinished seats are just plain and unattractive to me......they look like reproductions. We have several sets of Tiger Stadium seats (2 rows of 3 and one row of 4) that are sat in on a daily basis in our business' lobby. Several of the wood slats were heavily worn on the edges of a couple seats to a point where the original green paint was gone and bare wood showed. I lightly brushed some similar colored green enamel paint on those areas and they look great and don't take away from the original, vintage feel. Take care........Matt