NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present)

Old 01-07-2023, 04:55 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
I think I get the joke, but do you really think having an actual organized group comprised of actual collectors wouldn't be helpful in looking out for collectors/members of such a group, and for sharing such information for their benefit?

It is actually the same basic idea/concept as to why people come on Net54, to share information and such so everyone can supposedly benefit and be aware of things happening in the collecting world. By making fun or a joke of my comments, you are sort of making fun of yourself by being on Net54 to begin with. Or is that just your attempt to directly take a jab at me and suggest I belong in some kind of asylum?

Hi Bob, I think collectors in general are kind of odd ducks, myself included. Those that obsess over these errors and variations are really in their own league. More like the "rain men" of a hobby. I think finding this board allows us to share thoughts with those few people who actually care about errors and variations. I really dont think there are that many people in the hobby who care enough about them. This comes from someone who scoured for SIGNED errors and variations! Certainly not a Jab at anyone, but do think its pretty esoteric

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 01-07-2023, 05:10 PM
Al Richter

I can confirm that Ted is an odd duck. Otherwise I have no idea what he is talking about
Old 01-07-2023, 07:17 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republicaninmass View Post
Hi Bob, I think collectors in general are kind of odd ducks, myself included. Those that obsess over these errors and variations are really in their own league. More like the "rain men" of a hobby. I think finding this board allows us to share thoughts with those few people who actually care about errors and variations. I really dont think there are that many people in the hobby who care enough about them. This comes from someone who scoured for SIGNED errors and variations! Certainly not a Jab at anyone, but do think its pretty esoteric
Thanks Ted,

Was just checking though. LOL My comment was more generalized about the overall state of the hobby in total, and in response to Al's comment about the hobby itself needing "someone in charge of this stuff". I was straying off topic a bit, my apologies for doing so. Was also referencing how the hobby itself, in a lot of aspects, could really use some oversight and be better off if there were a group/organization actually representing all the "true collectors" in the hobby, and not leaving it up to the TPGs, AHs, big-time dealers, and such others in the hobby industry that end up currently making the decisions for us collectors, and telling us what is or isn't collectible, valuable, etc., etc..

Definitely agree with your comment about card collectors possibly being a little on the "not always so sane" side of things. Grown men obsessing over baseball cards, yeah, we're normal! LOL
Old 01-16-2023, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republicaninmass View Post
1952 topps #146 frank house

Possible 3 placements in sheet

1,2. Produced with normal tiger logo

3. Produced with yellow tiger logo

1a, 2a. Logo changed to remove red little by little leaving green mixture on house's throat

1b,2b,3a. Logos all matched
Ted,

Have you tried to get PSA to recognize the green throat variation? Also, what type of "proof" do they typically require prior to recognizing this
Old 08-17-2023, 08:24 PM
Ron

Thank you for sharing. Impressive and informative list of variations!

Ron
Old 08-18-2023, 10:44 AM
Larry Grigsby

The 1979 Bump Wills card was a big deal until the madness of the 80's started.
Old 08-18-2023, 11:14 AM

I think one of the coolest error versions are no doubt the 1969 White Letters with Mantle leading the way.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mantle White Letter Front SGC.jpg (198.0 KB, 59 views)
Old 08-19-2023, 09:52 AM
Jonathan Sterling

On your list of Significant errors. The 1954 Ted Williams #66 replaced by Jimmy Piersol was was once labeled the rarest post war card. Larry Fritsh sold a very popular checklist book in the mid 70's this was the cover. I remember discovering (first time for me) errors while putting a large group of 1966 topps in order so 66 was one of the first sets where I sought out errors and This checklist book was a huge help. All of the 1969 White letters have always been highly sought after. Just like there are a number of 1981 Fleer errors that collectors chase as much as the Nettles. Corrected errors have always been fun to collect.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg md13137783414.jpg (19.8 KB, 38 views)

Last edited by bigfanNY; 08-19-2023 at 10:04 AM.