NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-08-2005, 06:19 PM
Administrator

Default 1887 Syracuse Trade Card Help

Posted By: Rhys

I just recently picked up this 1887 Syracuse Stars Team Cabinet/Tradecard. It is interesting because it pictures one of professional baseball's first Black Stars named Robert Higgins. The question I have is that this says at the bottom that it is "Manufactured Expressely for GEO G. CAMPBELL, 78 E. Genesee St. Syracuse N.Y." I have been trying to do some research because if Campbell was just a photographer than this is just an 1887 Team Photo. If Campbell was a merchant of some kind and this was made for him to promote his business or sell, than it is a baseball card. If that was the case, this would be the first baseball card picturing a Black player. I have tried to do some searches of census reports and have not been able to find the information I have been looking for. Does anyone on this forum have access to the databases that could tell me who George G. Campbell of Syracuse New York was? Thanks in advance for anyone who can find this info and I will gladly compensate you for your time if needed, or if anyone can tell me how to find the info myself it would be appreciated.

Old 12-08-2005, 06:35 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Hal Lewis

George Campbell (no middle initial)

Born "About 1854"

In the 1880 census, there was only one such person listed in Syracuse... and he lists his prefession as a:

"Comm. Agent" (commerical agent?)

There is no 1890 census that I can find.

In the 1900 census, he is listed again (with his sons) as living in Syracuse... and he lists his profession as a:

"Teamster"

Don't know what this says about him... but these are the only census records that exist.

Old 12-08-2005, 07:27 PM
Administrator

JUST FOUND IT!!! YOU OWE ME ONE!!!

1887-1890 Syracuse City Directory:

George G. Campbell

Business Address: 76 East Genesee

Home Address: 58 Warren

City: Syracuse

State: New York

Year: 1888 1889

CLEARLY a card made for his "saloon" as it lists the business address and NOT his home!!

He is definitely NOT the photographer who took the photo!!

Some folks may get technical and call it a "Trade Card" since these were probably given out free at the bar as advertising...

but STILL definitely a "baseball card"!!

Old 12-08-2005, 07:30 PM
Administrator

Here was the last thread about the card. GREAT pick up and GREAT piece of history!!!

http://www.network54.com/Forum/153652/message/1130174799/Hidden+Treasure+on+Ebay

Old 12-08-2005, 07:37 PM
Administrator

Granted, the Syracuse Stars were a Minor League team... but definitely still a "professional" team.

No doubt Higgins and others would have made it to the Major Leagues had certain white players not made a stink about it and caused them to be banned. I think Cap Anson was the leader of this less-than-noble cause.

Old 12-09-2005, 07:06 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Bryan Long

Just how in the world do some of you guys get so luckey to pick this stuff up.

Old 12-09-2005, 07:48 AM
Administrator

Hal

Thanks for all your help, that is exactly what I was hoping to find! That was really cool of you to do that research for me and I do owe you one. I see no reason why this would not be considered a baseball card with that information and as such it is the first one to picture a Black Base Ball Player.

Rhys

Old 12-09-2005, 07:52 AM
Administrator

The research is what I enjoy the most!

What are the dimensions of the piece?

Is it hard cardboard or thin paper?

If it is Cabinet sized and somewhat thick... then you really do have something that anyone would be hard-pressed to deny is a "baseball card"!!

Old 12-09-2005, 08:42 AM
Administrator

Posted By: ramram

Rhys -

That's just a great item no matter how you slice it or what you call it!

BTW, too bad one of us couldn't have added that 1887 Buffalo (Frank Grant) image to our collection from the ebay auction the other day!

Rob M.

P.S. Do you know who that high bidder was M.F.Walker (aka Moses Fleetwood Walker)? I know Barry/Mark Rucker and Donald Johnson made pretty good runs at it as well but I don't know the high bidder. Seems he pretty much exlusively buys Negro League items.

Old 12-09-2005, 08:59 AM
Administrator

The card is roughly 7 1/2 inches by 5 1/4 inches so just a touch bigger than an N173. It is mounted to a paper stock closer to the feel of a cabinet card than a trade card. I had to remove it from being glued down for years to something more modern, but it came off pretty well. There were actually some newspaper clippings from one of the games Higgins pitched in that came with it as well and in one of the games, Higgins played against Newark who fielded Moses Walker and George Stovey. That would have been a game to see.

I do not know who the high bidder was that won the Grant photo, I have never seen that ebay handle before.

Rhys

Old 12-09-2005, 02:33 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bruce Babcock

Where else can you post a question like this and get the answer in 68 minutes?

Old 12-09-2005, 02:59 PM
Administrator

About time my interest in geneology and my on-line subscription to census records paid off!!