NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 05-19-2023, 10:07 PM

Default Help with Authenticity - Ruth, Mantle, Mays

Hey Net54! I'm new to these parts, spend most of my baseball card forum time over at Blowout. I have an opportunity to purchase a pretty sweet collection. A large part of the value consists of a few cards I would really appreciate the expert opinions of this forum on regarding authenticity. I know the pictures included may not be extremely helpful, and I have the opportunity to get better pics but this is what I have currently. The cards I'm curious about are:

-1933 Goudey Sport Kings Babe Ruth
-1952 Topps Mays Rc
-1953 Mantle
-1956 Mantle

The seller has an SGC graded 1933 Goudey Gerhig, a nice BGS graded Gretzky RC and some other nice graded vintage cards so its plausible the above 4 cards are all authentic. I question the Sport Kings Ruth the most as I think that's the easiest to fake. FYI the seller has had this collection since the 90's and I'm confident he purchased all of them assuming they were authentic.

Thanks in advance for any guidance ya'll can give! I'm obviously super excited about the collection and the opportunity to own such iconic cards but I want to be as informed as I can and tread carefully.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
Old 05-19-2023, 10:56 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Fakes. Wrong stock.
Old 05-19-2023, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1911 View Post
Fakes. Wrong stock.
Thanks, much appreciated. Do the other random raw cards included in the pics look good to you? I now have to question every single card in the collection with any significant value I guess. Which makes it very hard to navigate trying to buy the rest of the collection.

As far as I can tell the 2 biggest cards left in the collection are the Gretzky rookie and the Goudey Gerhig. Both are graded, are you confident in those from the pics? Also included is a mid grade Payton rookie which I feel good about - when the seller was buying that card probably wasn't worth faking.

Thanks for your time and knowledge.

Old 05-20-2023, 08:56 AM

How about this '52 Topps Eddie Mathews RC? Have these been widely faked or can I have more confidence in this one? The '57 Mays looks nice as well. Same question - how does this one look and are there a lot of counterfeits of this particular card out there?

Opinions welcome! Again, thanks for your time and knowledge to all contributors.

Old 05-20-2023, 10:49 AM

Default Graded Cards

..The graded cards can be examined in hand ? Do you know to look for "frosted" reseals ?..
..On the raw cards though , if a particular issue is never found centered but you are suddenly offered a fantastic group of centered ( but raw ) cards , from that issue , well that should send up a large oversized red-colored flag , one would think ??

..keep us posted though , since we all love these questions from new members.

Old 05-20-2023, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeGarcia View Post
..The graded cards can be examined in hand ? Do you know to look for "frosted" reseals ?..

..On the raw cards though , if a particular issue is never found centered but you are suddenly offered a fantastic group of centered ( but raw ) cards , from that issue , well that should send up a large oversized red-colored flag , one would think ??

..keep us posted though , since we all love these questions from new members.

Thanks for the response. Yes I can examine everything in hand including the graded cards. I'll do some research on frosted reseals. I will also remove the '52 Mathews from the screw down and get better pictures of it. I'm currently doing research on fakes so hopefully I'll have a decent knowledge base before I get there.

VERY good point on the centering, I should've thought of that. I've been in and out of the hobby since the mid '80's but never had much vintage.

Your insight is valued and appreciated, I'm getting a crash course right now and it's fun and exciting to do so.

Old 05-20-2023, 12:12 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

What city do you live in? If you're in the Florida Panhandle, I can probably meet you and review the cards in person. Others in other parts of the country may be able to as well.
I won't be buying, just verifying authenticity. (I'm mjohnatgt over on Blowout, FWIW)
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 05-20-2023, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarmee View Post
What city do you live in? If you're in the Florida Panhandle, I can probably meet you and review the cards in person. Others in other parts of the country may be able to as well.

I won't be buying, just verifying authenticity. (I'm mjohnatgt over on Blowout, FWIW)
Thanks for the offer, very generous! I'm in San Antonio, TX. If anyone is close and willing to help in any way maybe we can work something out.

I decided to start watching Breakout Cards YouTube collection to continue my education. Loving it.

Old 05-28-2023, 03:15 PM

Hey Gents,

So I bought the collection sans the Mantles, Ruth, '52 Mays and Mathews and the Killebrew RC. I ended up buying a loup with an LED light and black light and learned what to look for. But once I got to the sellers place and got my hands on the cards above I was convinced pretty immediately they were counterfeits. I showed him the print dot differences, glow under the black light and the difference in the feel of the cards and he agreed with me.

I bought the Goudey Gehrig with a guarantee of money back if proved fake, and took the card to the local card shop. The owner felt good about it.

Thanks for all the help! I'm planning on hanging around these boards and soaking in knowledge for many years to come.

Old 05-28-2023, 04:33 PM
Eric
E.ric Bau.mh0er

Heck of a find of sports kings
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_ssn...75.m3561.l2562
Old 05-28-2023, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beercan collector View Post
Yeah, thanks. The seller had a nice Sport Kings Collection and the other main attraction was a full 1991 Topps Desert Shield set. I'm proud to own the Gehrig, and the Gretzky RC looks undergraded at a 7 but the surface grade of a 6 pulled it down. Looks like "snowing" on the surface, is that right?

Old 05-28-2023, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beercan collector View Post
In other news, I negotiated for over 300 old beer cans from the same seller. Hah! He said they were mainly from the 70s, and most of them he drilled holes in the bottom to keep the top pristine. I need to go through them, don't know what I've got there.

Old 05-28-2023, 05:37 PM
Eric
E.ric Bau.mh0er

Quote:
Originally Posted by redauto5 View Post
In other news, I negotiated for over 300 old beer cans from the same seller. Hah! He said they were mainly from the 70s, and most of them he drilled holes in the bottom to keep the top pristine. I need to go through them, don't know what I've got there.

I’ll just make one post because it’s off-topic - Morean auctions is A good place to check for a quick vague education in beer cans , 70s collections not what you wanna hear but it just takes one can , also beer cans had the same crazy jump as baseball cards during Covid
https://www.moreanauctions.com/catalog.aspx