NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-16-2008, 05:27 AM
Administrator

Default All Star Game: AL Wins...Again!!!!!

Posted By: peter ullman

What a game huh, guys!!! I'm a bit short of sleep today...but it was worth it!!! Were they actually booing Drew when he won the AS MVP...or were they "dreeeeewing" him?

Old 07-16-2008, 06:20 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jimmy

very long game, very tired - never seen so many balls pitched

the AL was thinking of using David Wright!

still a great last All Star game at Yankee Stadium

Jimmy

Old 07-16-2008, 06:21 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Rob D.

This was the last All-Star Game at Yankee Stadium? Were the folks at Fox even aware of this?

Old 07-16-2008, 06:28 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve

Peter, Those were jeers. The consesus is Arod, Jeter or Rivera should have been MVP.

Funny how the Post twisted Paps words around to antagonize.

JD really has turned it around since last year's playoffs.

Old 07-16-2008, 06:53 AM
Administrator

Posted By: peter ullman

Yeah...I read Paps remarks...and there was nothing wrong with what he said. All in good fun for the yankee fans...they/we will take any excuse to BOO...esp the bosox!

Old 07-16-2008, 07:56 AM
Administrator

Posted By: James Feagin

George Sherill represented my Orioles very well!

Old 07-16-2008, 11:25 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob

My Twins players showed well- Joe Nathan pitched a 1-2-3 inning, Joe Maurer batted twice with a single and a walk and played great defensively, and Justin "Jason" "Who is that big guy?" Morneau had two hits and scored the winning run.
A lot of flack about who got the MVP trophy, personally I thought (and I guess I am the only one) it should have gone to Mr. Clutch Michael Young. If the fat boy from Tampa could have run better than an 8.5 40, Young's single would have won the game. As it was, Young hit the sac fly that won it. Big deal you might say, but how many times did AL guys come up with men in scoring position and hit dribblers or strike out? Young leads all major leaguers in batting average with men in scoring position. He is fabulous in the clutch. If he played for the Red Sox or Yanks, he would be on a par with Jeter or Ortiz. Oh yeah, Young is the bizarro A-Rod, who proved once again that it is easy to hit a 450 foot home run when you are up or down 7 runs but with the game on the line, he is the biggest choke artist in baseball history. Great player but simply can not perform with the game on the line. Not only All-Star games and playoffs but World series games also.

Old 07-16-2008, 01:04 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jon Canfield

Bob - as a Yankee fan, I just want to point out A-Rod has yet to play in a world series game so your last statement is incorrect

Old 07-16-2008, 01:43 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jamie

In what started out as tier box seats for me and my friend ended up at 12 in the morning as field champ seats which I am sure cost about 5K a ticket. I got to see the 10th-15th innnings 3 rows from the field behind home!! it was crazy!

Old 07-16-2008, 02:18 PM
Administrator

Posted By: steve

The pitching was more dominant than the hitting.

Which leads to this tangent topic:

When most of you choose the top all-time players in list format, best player listed first, Ruth was consensus #1, and I think Cobb was #2.

I say give me all pitchers as the first 5 all-time best players ever. I will then shut down the likes of Ruth, Gehrig, Cobb, Teddy and the bunch.

I bet I win more games over a season with my first 5 choices:

Walter Johnson
Sandy Koufax
Lefty Grove
Satchell Paige
Nolan Ryan

What a starting rotation, g'luck to any other team !!!

steve

Old 07-16-2008, 02:26 PM
Administrator

Posted By: paulstratton

The "fat boy" is one of the most improved catchers in the game and it looked like he was safe to me.

The fact that Arod hasn't played in a WS kinda makes Bob's point for him. If he didn't struggle so badly in the last few postseasons he might have played in one by now.

Old 07-16-2008, 03:34 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Ron

That was a great game last night and congrats to J.D. Drew as well.
Seems like they were all ripping A-Rod on the Fan (radio) today...
it appears that when A-Rod was taken out of the game he hit the showers and left the park. He's such a class act...A-Rod proving he's really an A-Hole again.

Ron

Old 07-16-2008, 03:50 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Bretta

I really like A-rod when he first came up, but when he went to Texas and I read about all the contract demands my respect for him really fell, then he went to New York and he seemed to take a lot of unwarranted (IMO) abuse from Yankee fans I started to warm towards him again, but all this news lately about leaving his wife, mismanaging his rental properties in Florida and now leaving the AS game early with the game still in doubt I just think he's an idiot. I'm glad the Red Sox never got this guy. Jeter on the other hand was on the top dugout steps 'til the end.

Old 07-16-2008, 04:23 PM
Administrator

Posted By: quan

great game! my boys jd drew and russell martin did great, not sure how this turned into another a-rod bashing thread. arod saw the big picture, if he helped the AL won then the red sox would have an easier time winning the WS .

Old 07-16-2008, 05:02 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Bretta

Actually Quan I was rooting for the NL to win this year so the Red Sox could win the clinching World Series game at home this time.