NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 05-27-2022, 01:36 PM

Default One of the most beautiful sports photos I’ve seen and the story of a CU pioneer!

Hi all,

My recent pickup is a photo that I’ve seen before and previously passed on buying. It recently popped up again and I finally acquired it. It might possibly be one of the best football photos I’ve seen. The photo shown below features University of Colorado Football pioneer Gary Washington, known to be the first deaf player in program history…

Washington enrolled at CU in 1974 on a football scholarship after a successful high school career at the Colorado School for the Deaf and Blind in which he rushed for 6,202 yards in just three seasons and became a state champion after recording a 100-yard dash time of 9.7 seconds.

From 1974-1977, Washington primarily played special teams and sat on the bench. He would work with his interpreter, Fritz Beyeler, to relay plays and instruction from Coach Bill Mallory on the sideline through American Sign Language. It wasn’t until his 1977 senior year that Washington would carry the ball in a game and it was his second and final carry which would go down in the annals of Colorado athletics.

With thirteen seconds left in the final game of the season against Kansas State and up 17-0, Washington was inserted at running back. He proceeded to take the handoff and go 72 yards to the end zone. After the game Washington was lifted onto the shoulders of his teammates and carried off of Folsom Field and into history.

Gary Washington passed away after a battle with cancer at the young age of 59 in 2013 without much press. Sadly, Washington’s legacy and impact as a deaf athlete in a primarily hearing world and as a beloved teammate within the Colorado Football program is all but forgotten by the athletic department and the University and he is a largely unknown figure to the Buffs of today. However, he and his story are remarkable and should be celebrated and remembered.

Last edited by AstroJake09; 05-27-2022 at 01:36 PM.
Old 05-27-2022, 01:42 PM

I'm a former student and loyal fan of Iowa State, a former Big 8 rival. I agree with you, his story should be remembered. Thanks for posting. - Brian
Old 05-27-2022, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bammerbb View Post
I'm a former student and loyal fan of Iowa State, a former Big 8 rival. I agree with you, his story should be remembered. Thanks for posting. - Brian
Thank you Brian! I’m a recent CU grad and obtained my bachelors degree in history following this spring semester. I’m always trying to uncover and learn of the stories of individuals and events that history has seemingly forgotten to gain new perspectives.

Here’s another photo I acquired with the first one showing Washington and his interpreter.

Last edited by AstroJake09; 05-27-2022 at 03:10 PM.