NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 11-25-2011, 03:49 PM

Default Opinions on Mantle Auto?

Authentic or Not
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 030.jpg (69.4 KB, 202 views)

Last edited by richieb315; 11-25-2011 at 03:52 PM.
Old 11-25-2011, 04:05 PM
Christopher Williams

Burn it!!!! Simply awful!!!!
Old 11-25-2011, 04:22 PM
Steve S.
St.eve S@lem

No good, sorry.
Old 11-26-2011, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetruthisoutthere View Post
Burn it!!!! Simply awful!!!!
What makes it Awful? I dont collect autographs just have this ball and few other players.
Old 11-26-2011, 04:21 PM
David Nova.kovich Jr.

Nobody ever likes to get into why something's bad. It's kind of an unwritten rule... But I'll go as far as saying that the obvious tell is in the second M, and the 2nd is the y. I saw those two things, cringed, and stopped looking. I'm sure there's plenty of other reasons as well, but I can't bring myself to look at it again..
Old 11-26-2011, 04:48 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

The "tails" on the Ms drop down too far. The humps of the Ms are too pointy and should be more rounded. The transition from the M to the a is too wide, with far too much of a gap. A large percentage of the Mantle fakes have these same identical issues, so they become very easy to spot after a while.

There are other attributes that clearly contribute to its "bogusness", but these are the ones that strike me as most obvious.

Last edited by perezfan; 11-26-2011 at 04:49 PM.
Old 11-27-2011, 07:11 AM
Craig

As some of you know, I have specialized in collecting Mantle - almost exclusively vintage, original photos. So I am clearly not an expert in evaluating his autograph - with the possible exception of outrageous examples.

Most of what I have were signed in my presence as well as a few from Upper Deck and from Tommy Catal (all complete with matching holograms and COA).

That being said, I am always eager to learn and am attaching an autograph (designated as real) that was posted on a previous thread about Mantle's autograph on this site. I don't see significant differences in the M's or Y between this "real auto" and the one on this thread that several have declared as an obvious fake. Can anyone educate me or am I hopeless?

Thank you.

Craig
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Real mantle.jpg (52.2 KB, 105 views)
Old 11-27-2011, 10:28 AM
Steve Zarelli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozen in Time View Post
I don't see significant differences in the M's or Y between this "real auto" and the one on this thread that several have declared as an obvious fake. Can anyone educate me or am I hopeless?

Thank you.

Craig
In addition to a number of subtle tells, but the obvious sign is the fake posted by the OP, is a common "Milkey Mautle" forgery style. This style was sold by the thousands by home shopping shows in the 90s.

This style usually also has the unusually sharp points to the tops of the Ms.
Old 11-27-2011, 12:19 PM
M@rk V3l@rd3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozen in Time View Post
I don't see significant differences in the M's or Y between this "real auto" and the one on this thread that several have declared as an obvious fake. Can anyone educate me or am I hopeless?

Thank you.

Craig
Craig,
Look at the second M in both. In the second, the curve is nice and smooth, as if done very naturally. In the first, there are at least 3 points where a more sharp turn appears. 2 are right above the "7" and one is further up the left side. This is the sign of a deliberate, as opposed to fluid, motion.
Hope that helps,
Mark

Other interests/sets/collectibles.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/96571220@N08/albums

My for sale or trade photobucket album
https://flic.kr/s/aHsk7c1SRL
Old 11-27-2011, 01:54 PM
Craig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordstan View Post
Craig,
Look at the second M in both. In the second, the curve is nice and smooth, as if done very naturally. In the first, there are at least 3 points where a more sharp turn appears. 2 are right above the "7" and one is further up the left side. This is the sign of a deliberate, as opposed to fluid, motion.
Hope that helps,
Mark
Thank you Mark. I now can clearly see the differences. It's funny, I have what most people would say is a very critical eye when it comes to photos but am still in first grade regarding autographs.

I guess it all comes down to knowledge, and specific, detailed comments such as yours, really do help.

Thanks again.

Craig