NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Basketball / Cricket / Tennis Cards Forum

Old 11-25-2020, 07:50 AM

Default Nike Poster Cards

Just wanted to let everyone know that the mystery involving the Nike Poster Cards checklist has been solved. The whole story is posted on the following web page that I created to deliver this info to collectors

www.nikepostercards.com

None of the standard BB Card catalogs have check listed this massive multi sport set. These are 5 x 7 replicas of the nike posters produced in the period 1982/83 - 1992. They were displayed in sporting goods stores so customers could see the posters they were buying.

Grading houses like PSA and Beckett have had a continually changing policy on which ones they grade based mostly on the lack of any checklist description in sources like the Std. Catalogs. Since giant catalogs like that are no longer being printed, there is currently no where for anyone to deposit the information they have collected and have it archived, like old friend Bob Lemke used to do for the Std. Catalog of BB cards. Thus I created the web site.

My numerous attempts to contact Nike for an official checklist of all the posters have been to no avail. Communication with a senior Nike employee resulted in this response "Our records from yesteryear weren’t the best and to that end, we have little definitive information about the actual number of poster cards made, which posters were included and when they were released." SO, anyone awaiting Nike to swosh in and verify or correct all this information is probably in for a long wait.

There were 4 types of poster cards issued during the period which is all explained in the blogs. A 6 digit "Nike numbers" exist for all the posters that were offered for sale. We have determined these catalog numbers by their presence on the front or back of the Nike poster cards, from sales order forms, from labeling on the posters and/or from the labeling on the outside of the unopened packaging containing the rolled up posters.

Gathering all this information is not something that I have done alone. Many other collectors including Ron “Daytrader1122” Sevane, Bruce “ImaPacRat“ Fisher, Jeff Barrett, Ortreasures_4 and Ken Goetsch have contributed to the checklist that has been developed over the past 20+ years.

This work is partially summarized in the Sports Collectors Digest June 5th 2020 issue and their website at:

https://sportscollectorsdigest.com/c...michael-jordan

There are also articles in Sports Collector Daily here:

http://www.sportscollectorsdaily.com...s-1980s-1990s/

https://www.sportscollectorsdaily.co...e-a-set-apart/

Sorry that I have not included any pictures on this blurb, but I still have not learned how to do that on this web site...

After checking out the web site please send me any comments or additions.
Old 11-25-2020, 11:36 AM
Joe M.

Had 5 or 6 at one time. Remember Bo Jackson, not the others.

Collecting Detroit 19th Century N172, N173, N175.
N172 Detroit. Getzein, McGlone, Rooks, Wheelock, Gillligan, Kid Baldwin Error, Lady Baldwin, Conway, Deacon White

Positive transactions with Joe G, Jay Miller, CTANK80, BIGFISH, MGHPRO, k. DIXON, LEON, INSIDETHEWRAPPER, GOCUBSGO32, Steve Suckow, RAINIER2004, Ben Yourg, GNAZ01, yanksrnice09, cmiz5290, Kris Sweckard (Kris19),Angyal, Chuck Tapia,Belfast1933,bcbgcbrcb,fusorcruiser, tsp06, cobbcobb13
Old 11-27-2020, 12:14 PM
Dave

I don't know much about these, but it's fantastic that you put together this resource that can be easily accessed for a set such as this, especially with Mr. Lemke no longer around to do this for us.

Only thing I know about these, is that I probably had dozens of the 1985 Michael Jordan "Air Jordan" cards back in the day.

This was the cheap alternative to the 1986 Fleer card when that set started taking off a couple years after it first came out.

The Jordan card came in a cellophane wrapped "set" of about 10 or 12 athletes, I forget how many exactly. But card show dealers in my area seemingly had bins full of them, at a buck or two a set.

Back then there was a much more stringent expectation for what collectors considered "cards", so there wasn't much interest in these at all. By the time I sold the stack of sets off that I had accumulated, I doubt I ever got more then 20 bucks for one of those sets, but at the time I was happy to get that.

If only I knew then, what I know now...............about almost everything.
Old 07-05-2021, 09:02 AM

Default Nike Jordan poster cards 1985 - 1992

For all you Jordan fans out there, just to let you know there is now a Nike Jordan set in PSA :
https://www.psacard.com/psasetregist...985-1992/21452

All of these are rarer than his 86 Fleer and several of them were released in 1985 and 1986 soon after his Nike contract coming out of school.