NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-13-2020, 05:48 PM
Steve P
Steven Pacc.hiano

Default damn the Jordan rookie

about a year ago i was thinking of selling my jordan rookie. bvg 8. looked it up on ebay & they were selling for about 1500-1800. i decided to keep it. i looked again last night & they selling for 3500-4000

wtf is going on?

its good news but why the huge jump in such a short period of time?

like i posted the other day the bonds rookies are up too a lot.

i dont see the same spike though in the t205 or babe ruth cards that i also collect
Successful transactions with: Drumback, Mart8081, Obcmac, Tonyo, markf31, gnaz01, rainier2004, EASE, Bobsbats, Craig M, TistaT202, Seiklis, Kenny Cole, T's please, Vic, marcdelpercio, poorlydrawncat, brianp-beme, mybuddyinc, Glchen, chernieto , old-baseball , Donscards, Centauri, AddieJoss, T2069bk,206fix, joe v, smokelessjoe, eggoman, botn, canjond

Looking for T205's or anything Babe Ruth...email or PM me if you have any to sell.
Old 04-13-2020, 05:56 PM
Scott Russell

So sell the stupid modern crap and by T205's and Ruths, easy game!
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 04-13-2020, 06:39 PM
$cott Cl1nt0n

I think a lot of people are thinking there's going to be a jump in prices with the ESPN 10-part doc coming up.

Feels like the anticipation of a price spike may have caused a price spike.
Old 04-13-2020, 07:05 PM
Steve P
Steven Pacc.hiano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
lol yea, seems i rarely sell anything though. got to work on that but its hard parting with the good stuff!
Successful transactions with: Drumback, Mart8081, Obcmac, Tonyo, markf31, gnaz01, rainier2004, EASE, Bobsbats, Craig M, TistaT202, Seiklis, Kenny Cole, T's please, Vic, marcdelpercio, poorlydrawncat, brianp-beme, mybuddyinc, Glchen, chernieto , old-baseball , Donscards, Centauri, AddieJoss, T2069bk,206fix, joe v, smokelessjoe, eggoman, botn, canjond

Looking for T205's or anything Babe Ruth...email or PM me if you have any to sell.
Old 04-13-2020, 07:17 PM
Bobby Binder

Basketball cards 90's all the way to current are going through the roof. It is because of all those people that are trading and selling shoes through that website X or whatever it is called and now doing the same thing with cards. So you are getting crazy money for every big name, only in the modern era. No big spikes in the vintage. Zion, Ja Morant, Luka, etc...mega dollars

Last edited by BobbyVCP; 04-13-2020 at 07:18 PM.
Old 04-13-2020, 07:21 PM
David Peck

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyVCP View Post
Basketball cards 90's all the way to current are going through the roof. It is because of all those people that are trading and selling shoes through that website X or whatever it is called and now doing the same thing with cards. So you are getting crazy money for every big name, only in the modern era. No big spikes in the vintage. Zion, Ja Morant, Luka, etc...mega dollars

This is exactly what I said was happening in the stock market thread weeks ago. The Gary V effect. He nailed it.
Old 04-13-2020, 07:37 PM

Jordan cards are taking off because the NBA season is suspended. This happened the last time the NBA was on strike. People back off on the young players and turn to the established greats. Also remember basketball is popular with collectors in other countries, specifically Jordan, over other sports.

I own a BGS 9.5 Jordan RC as well as all 4 Goudey Ruths and a t205 set. There is nothing wrong with having them all. I would hang on to your Jordan, it will continue to go up over time.
Old 04-13-2020, 07:45 PM
Bobby Binder

Stock X that is the name if it...those are the ones that are getting heavily involved into the newer Basketball cards.
Old 04-13-2020, 07:56 PM
David Peck

Quote:
Stock X that is the name if it...those are the ones that are getting heavily involved into the newer Basketball cards.
I have a few clients whose sons play the sneaker game. Once I got filled in on it the forecast that Gary V made on the Rich Eisen show became very clear.

Trading cards have low barriers to entry and the potential for exponential gains.

This isn't rocket science. They want action and "flip life" is very real. Young entrepreneurs in the making. Some will do well and other will get left holding the bag.
Old 04-14-2020, 12:06 PM
Josh Adams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post

Not all modern cards are stupid. the Fleer Jordan rookie is one of the most iconic cards of an iconic player. probably the most well known athlete besides Ruth.
The modern market is robust. Just look at auction houses like REA, Lelands and Heritage. They have several listings of modern "crap" that is highly sought after and has a large following. Plus if it's in REA, you know it probably a highly sought after issue.
Just don't understand the snobbery against modern cards. It is possible to like both. they are not mutually exclusive.
Personally, I feel more of a connection to a Jordan rookie that I had as a kid as opposed to a t205 of a player I never saw.
that's why the hobby is so great. there's something for everyone.
Old 04-14-2020, 12:25 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagewhitesox View Post

Not all modern cards are stupid. the Fleer Jordan rookie is one of the most iconic cards of an iconic player. probably the most well known athlete besides Ruth.
The modern market is robust. Just look at auction houses like REA, Lelands and Heritage. They have several listings of modern "crap" that is highly sought after and has a large following. Plus if it's in REA, you know it probably a highly sought after issue.
Just don't understand the snobbery against modern cards. It is possible to like both. they are not mutually exclusive.
Personally, I feel more of a connection to a Jordan rookie that I had as a kid as opposed to a t205 of a player I never saw.
Well said, and I'd also add, due to the desire in collecting modern cards, we should all be happy as that is also helping in keeping the bobby strong for everyone.
Old 04-14-2020, 12:36 PM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

Wow, my 1980 Topps Johnson/Bird PSA 8 that I bought for $200 is now up to $1200+. That's crazy!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1980_topps_bird_erving_johnson_front_horiz.jpg (79.5 KB, 1013 views)
Old 04-14-2020, 12:42 PM
Scott Russell

Quote:

Relax, it was in jest.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

Old 04-14-2020, 12:53 PM
Brian
Bri@n Yos.sef

Thankful i got mine early. 3 PSA 8's and 1 PSA 7.
Old 04-14-2020, 01:02 PM
Ro.b Gui.1fo.y1e

Default damn the Jordan rookie

I bought an MJ RC PSA 8 over the summer for $2700 and was surprised to see one sell for $5350 last night.

Edit: I bought my MJ RC in December, not over the summer. My bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by NYYFan63; 04-15-2020 at 04:44 PM.
Old 04-14-2020, 01:23 PM
Ma.tt Lan.dry

Quote:
Bobby can you share what happened with the Jordan psa10 RC in 2016? Didn’t it go from 15k to 30k and then back to 18k or so?
Old 04-14-2020, 01:25 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by glchen View Post
Wow, my 1980 Topps Johnson/Bird PSA 8 that I bought for $200 is now up to $1200+. That's crazy!
Awesome card, I don't have any basketball but if I did that card would be the first one on my list.
Old 04-14-2020, 01:31 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

How soon collectors forget...

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 04-14-2020, 01:57 PM
Ran-jodh Dh.ill0n

Look at the Scottie Pippen and Dennis Rodman rookies. They used to sell for about $10 - $20 each and now they are going for a few hundred.
Old 04-14-2020, 02:51 PM
Mike P.ap

Default Rookie.....

Last time I sold a PSA 8 Jordan RC (maybe 2 years ago?) it was $1500.....ugh! I owned a shop in the 1990s and had a Jordan RC PSA 9 that I remember well, it sold for $1100 back then! UGHHHHHHH!

This Sticker is the only Jordan RC I saved. At least I got that right!

I have about $2000 total into this one! Yay!

Peace, Mike

eyJpdiI6ImhlVlFGTFlxbW1HU0hKSTU5OTlYc1E9PSIsInZhbHVlIjoia3ZyV1JCSGdCSERoSFV2RHVVTkRZc2grTEdmMzBa.jpg
Old 04-14-2020, 07:54 PM
Bobby Binder

Here is the graph of the PSA 10 Jordan for the past 14 years.

https://www.net54baseball.com/attach...1&d=1586915623

You can see in 15/16 there was a run up then it softened. But for the past 2 years looks like a steady incline
about the time the StockX people started playing in the card game.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2020-04-14 at 3.51.22 PM.jpg (14.7 KB, 842 views)

Last edited by BobbyVCP; 04-14-2020 at 07:56 PM.
Old 04-14-2020, 09:52 PM
Patr1ck Mu111N5

I own a pair of new old stock Nike Kruegers that's worth about $20k. I got them about 10 years ago from a buddy who was doing an internship with Nike. Been wanting to sell them for awhile but don't want to put them on eBay as I've heard not so good things about online sneaker sales.
Old 04-15-2020, 07:03 AM
Albert Bee

Default 1986 Fleer Jordan

IMO...a waste of 3 or 4 grand
Old 04-15-2020, 07:31 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

Until the buyers group decided to start selling slowly. Albeit, via shill bids and non paying bidders

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 04-15-2020, 07:53 AM
+0m J()rd@N

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALBB View Post
IMO...a waste of 3 or 4 grand
I'm quite positive that 95+% of the general population would say the same about any piece of cardboard that we collect at that price point, be it Jordan, Mick, Ruth or Cobb.
1952 Topps - low numbers (-1)
1954 Bowman (-5)
1964 Topps Giants auto'd (-2)
Old 04-15-2020, 08:01 AM
Scott S

I just listed a bunch of Jordan cards last night on eBay, and the bidding activity has been crazy already. Strike while the iron is hot!
Old 04-15-2020, 08:06 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdaddy View Post
I'm quite positive that 95+% of the general population would say the same about any piece of cardboard that we collect at that price point, be it Jordan, Mick, Ruth or Cobb.
My wife is in that 95+%. It doesn't matter if it is the T206 Ty Cobb, Wade Boggs bat, or the Ted Williams cards I recently bought.
Old 04-15-2020, 11:02 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Other early Jordan cards have been going up for a while.

The 1985 Star Slam Dunk 5 x 7 is up about 30% since last year. One of the nicest looking Jordans IMO:

The 1986 Merchante has nearly tripled since 2015.

While I find the sudden run-up on the 86 Fleer to be suspiciously like the manipulated prices on the baseball RCs a few years ago, the overall market for early Jordan cards does seem to be legitimately up in a trend that long predated the surge on the 86 Fleer. In the case of the Star cards, prices are jumping w/o the help of the PSA registry since PSA won't grade them. As for me, since everyone is gold-rushing the early Fleer and Star cards I am picking up 1990s parallels instead to fill out my collection

Also might be worth grabbing some early Jordan team issued photos

These are often undervalued and misidentified when offered for sale.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 04-15-2020 at 06:02 PM.
Old 04-15-2020, 01:55 PM
Tim Odeen

Quote:

I like modern, but i just don't have the stomach for speculation. I bought heavily in high school and college. But I finally decided to stop chasing shadows. Now I can't fathom spending some of the prices running on a single pack.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Successful deals with: Banksfan14, Brianp-beme, Bumpus Jones, Dacubfan (x5), Dstrawberryfan39, Ed_Hutchinson, Fballguy, fusorcruiser (x2), GoCalBears, Gorditadog, Luke, MikeKam, Moosedog, Nineunder71, Powdered H20, PSU, Ronniehatesjazz, Roarfrom34, Sebie43, Seven, and Wondo

Last edited by todeen; 04-15-2020 at 01:58 PM.
Old 04-15-2020, 02:35 PM
S Vincent

On the autograph side, his UDA signatures seem to all have gone nuts the past six or so months. Things that were $1,200 are now $3,000.
Old 04-15-2020, 03:14 PM
James M.

Hello I'm very new here guys, so I apologize if this is the wrong place. I received a Graded Michael Jordan Rookie from my Father years ago. I believe he purchased it on Ebay. However I have a lot of suspicions that it's fake. The Graded case looks like It might have been tampered with, and the cut of the graded label from SGC looks very sloppily cut. The Case itself was even coming open. The images are here. Thank you again.

https://imgur.com/a/7NTiXR1

Last edited by Seven; 04-15-2020 at 03:14 PM.
Old 04-15-2020, 04:01 PM
John Donovan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seven View Post
Hello I'm very new here guys, so I apologize if this is the wrong place. I received a Graded Michael Jordan Rookie from my Father years ago. I believe he purchased it on Ebay. However I have a lot of suspicions that it's fake. The Graded case looks like It might have been tampered with, and the cut of the graded label from SGC looks very sloppily cut. The Case itself was even coming open. The images are here. Thank you again.

https://imgur.com/a/7NTiXR1
Welcome Seven! Well, typically I would say that yes, you've come to the wrong place. However, since we appear to have a Michael Jordan rookie card discussion trending here on this pre-war baseball card board, we'll just go with it

I'm not really well versed in fake Jordan rookies (and I know it is a HIGHLY counterfeited card). I will say at a MINIMUM your card is NOT the card that is supposedly referenced on the SGC label. A grade of 96 means that the card is FLAWLESS to the naked eye...and you can clearly see that the upper right corner of the card in the picture is not in good shape.

If you're lucky, someone swapped out an original, poor condition Jordan in that holder. However, in my opinion, if someone is shady enough to switch cards, my assumption is that they would not put a real card in it's place.

Sorry for the bad news.
Old 04-15-2020, 04:34 PM
James M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatkidfromjerrymaguire View Post
Welcome Seven! Well, typically I would say that yes, you've come to the wrong place. However, since we appear to have a Michael Jordan rookie card discussion trending here on this pre-war baseball card board, we'll just go with it

I'm not really well versed in fake Jordan rookies (and I know it is a HIGHLY counterfeited card). I will say at a MINIMUM your card is NOT the card that is supposedly referenced on the SGC label. A grade of 96 means that the card is FLAWLESS to the naked eye...and you can clearly see that the upper right corner of the card in the picture is not in good shape.

If you're lucky, someone swapped out an original, poor condition Jordan in that holder. However, in my opinion, if someone is shady enough to switch cards, my assumption is that they would not put a real card in it's place.

Sorry for the bad news.
I appreciate it, I was leaning towards that being the case. The label looks funky and everything's a little suspect. This is really my first attempt as an Adult to get back into the Hobby, The grade always seemed a little suspicious to me. I'm going to see If I can get the case off, without damaging the card, and send it into PSA. I don't have the heart to tell my Father, regardless of what the outcome is. Maybe later down the road I can track down a Jordan Rookie if this turns out to be fake. Thank you for the input, it's appreciated.
Old 04-15-2020, 04:42 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilKing00 View Post
about a year ago i was thinking of selling my jordan rookie. bvg 8. looked it up on ebay & they were selling for about 1500-1800. i decided to keep it. i looked again last night & they selling for 3500-4000

wtf is going on?

i dont see the same spike though in the t205 or babe ruth cards that i also collect
You just dont know, but you would think you can never go wrong with Jordan or any huge HOFer. I bought a ton of 1987 Bellingham Griffey rookies back in the mid-late 90's. PSA 10's were selling for about $2500, rare blank backs for about $10K.... Take a peak at what their worth now.... Another good example is McGwire's 1985 rookie.....

Last edited by CMIZ5290; 04-15-2020 at 04:43 PM.
Old 04-15-2020, 04:47 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilKing00 View Post

wtf is going on?

Steve, not sure what's going on, but I bought an SGC 98 Jordan (sticker) rookie for about $5K in the late 90's, it booked for almost $25,000....I sold it for a modest profit, but nothing like I thought it would bring...
Old 04-15-2020, 06:57 PM
Scott Russell

Quote:
I appreciate it, I was leaning towards that being the case. The label looks funky and everything's a little suspect. This is really my first attempt as an Adult to get back into the Hobby, The grade always seemed a little suspicious to me. I'm going to see If I can get the case off, without damaging the card, and send it into PSA. I don't have the heart to tell my Father, regardless of what the outcome is. Maybe later down the road I can track down a Jordan Rookie if this turns out to be fake. Thank you for the input, it's appreciated.
It's hard to be positive without holding it in person, but the Fleer logo on the front looks like the fake version as well as the photo being grainy, and the print quality of his name at the bottom being fuzzy it doesn't look good. However all of those things can be affected by your photo as well. If you had a good flatbed scanner I could tell you 100%.

Old 04-15-2020, 07:08 PM
Brendan Mullen

Unfortunately 100% fake. The giveaway is that the triangle connected to FLEER should be darker. Almost orange. Not the same color yellow. I learned the hard way too recently (from a purchase 20 years ago).
Old 04-15-2020, 07:17 PM
Bobby Binder

There is always this MJ that sold for $350,000

https://www.net54baseball.com/attach...1&d=1586999846
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 19835696.jpg (79.6 KB, 581 views)
Old 04-15-2020, 08:33 PM
James M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpm0014 View Post
Unfortunately 100% fake. The giveaway is that the triangle connected to FLEER should be darker. Almost orange. Not the same color yellow. I learned the hard way too recently (from a purchase 20 years ago).
I did some further research and was comparing cards and you're spot on with that conclusion. I'm still going to keep it, the emotions associated with it being a gift and all is something that won't go away, Regardless of it being fake or not. I don't think I would have the heart to sell any card he ever got me truthfully at the end of the day. A live and learn sort of scenario I guess. Thanks for all the input again.
Old 04-16-2020, 08:03 AM
John Donovan

Quote:
I did some further research and was comparing cards and you're spot on with that conclusion. I'm still going to keep it, the emotions associated with it being a gift and all is something that won't go away, Regardless of it being fake or not. I don't think I would have the heart to sell any card he ever got me truthfully at the end of the day. A live and learn sort of scenario I guess. Thanks for all the input again.
I think you are spot on with your conclusion. I often sit and think about the "value" of these cards we collect. For dealers I know it's a little bit different, they are making a living out of turning an actual dollars and cents profit...so the value is a little more concrete.

But for the rest of us collectors...the value really comes in the amount of joy they bring us. And your Jordan (fake or not) connects you to your dad and a time when he wanted to buy and give you a MICHAEL JORDAN ROOKIE CARD. And that is priceless in my opinion. So yes, hang on to it and enjoy it.
Old 04-17-2020, 03:39 PM

I think the fact the card is faked so much actually helps the value and the branding of the card to be honest. And basketball is very popular with the younger generations. Lastly, the players in that sport are brands themselves and Jordan was the pioneer of that. So he is the holy grail.
Old 04-18-2020, 02:08 PM
B. Schneid.
Ben Sch.neider

I sold a few generic base Jordan's last night for about 300% what they were going for just a few months ago. Now's a good time to sell Jordan junk wax base. They made a ton so you will have no seller's remorse and should easily get them back for next to nothing when all this documentary hype dies down. Plus, I don't think people realize how bad this looming recession will be. People are going to be unloading their non-rare cards on eBay in 3-6 months for half of what they go for now. Guaranteed.
Old 04-18-2020, 05:08 PM

I second the notion that basketball is now Number 1 with young collectors. Recently, I have sold quite a few modern cards on ebay in the $20.-200. range. The Kershaw and Scherzer base rookies in PSA 10 went disappointingly low. However, my basketball stuff has done surprisingly well, way better than baseball, and they are not even rookies. Dare I say basketball is now King and baseball has taken the back seat? Appears so. There is only one name I would collect in modern baseball now that seems to have decent demand... Mike Trout.
Old 04-18-2020, 06:09 PM
David Peck

I thought you could only discuss pre war cards on this main page. What the hell is going on??? LOL

I listed my only graded Jordan card to end right after the documentary and it is up to a little over $100 which is 80% above prior sales with time to go.

I ended up over paying for a set because I wanted the rare back Tyson in the set and was disappointed with the graded results with the other stars. Thankfully the Tyson with the Gritti back got an 8 so that was good but the Jordan that looked like a lock for an 8 got a 6 but has great eye appeal.

It seams like with star cards times heals all wounds. Hoping for some more action on it!
Old 04-18-2020, 07:13 PM
"Thumbs Down Guy"

5001-4190 - 1985 Nike Michael Jordan Gem Mint 10 Rookie, Part 1 of 3
Old 04-19-2020, 06:22 AM
J0hn H@rper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100backstroke View Post
I second the notion that basketball is now Number 1 with young collectors. Recently, I have sold quite a few modern cards on ebay in the $20.-200. range. The Kershaw and Scherzer base rookies in PSA 10 went disappointingly low. However, my basketball stuff has done surprisingly well, way better than baseball, and they are not even rookies. Dare I say basketball is now King and baseball has taken the back seat? Appears so. There is only one name I would collect in modern baseball now that seems to have decent demand... Mike Trout.
It's ironic that the last baseball sets of significance were in '85, and then the age of most basketball card collecting starts in '86 (especially with the younger generation, naturally). As an '80s kid, I'd still want a million Bird/Magic rookies before a single '86 Fleer Jordan. But I imagine most collectors under 40 feel the opposite. Michael is still held onto as a kid's star. Larry and Magic are treated as past generation, and are practically forgotten by youngsters by comparison.

With the modern stuff, maybe there are just too many choices and too much production for anyone to care that much about most things. Unless it's Brady, Kobe, LeBron, or Trout. Even Kershaw isn't big enough to matter.

Last edited by cardsagain74; 04-19-2020 at 06:24 AM.
Old 04-20-2020, 11:01 AM

I’ve got a ton of loose/raw Jordans from the 90’s.... even late 80’s
Fleer/upperdeck/sky box/ etc etc (junk era stuff)

I’d like to move them, not looking for a killing.

Probably need to post this in the BST.

If anyone see and is interested (please PM me)

Thanks!