NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-20-2005, 06:00 AM
Administrator

Default What % do you spend on cards?

Posted By: Chris Mc

I was just adding up the amount of money I spent on cards this year and was quite surprised that I spent just about 10% of what I made this year on vintage cards! I was wondering what percentage other people on the board spend ,not the professionals( sole source of income is buying and selling cards). This would verify if I need to seek professional help with my habit, er hobby. Remember only percentages.

Old 11-20-2005, 06:14 AM
Administrator

Posted By: dennis

i imagine not to many posters on this site will want to venture a guess on what % of their incomes they spent on cards...too scary,but at least we know others will pay for them too,if we decide to sell.

Old 11-20-2005, 09:25 AM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

my wife might be watching

Old 11-20-2005, 10:27 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve

Until I know be better what to buy in Vintage.

Old 11-20-2005, 11:52 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Lee Behrens

I spend aboout 33% of what I make. But I also sell too so what % is actually spent I don't know.

Lee

Old 11-20-2005, 01:58 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dave

I put this topic in the same category as my boat. It is a 1988 Sea Ray 20' which has been used by two ex-teenage boys for skiing and wake boardingas they grew up. Lots of repairs now.

If I computed the $ per use, I would probably have to sell it.

Same with cards. I get by, my wife complains, and I don't add up the numbers.

Better that way.

Old 11-20-2005, 01:59 PM
Administrator

Posted By: cn

I try to keep it at 5%. When I was 16 years old and got first hooked on vintage cards I worked in a hospital after school and made about $200 a week. When most kids were saving up for a Camaro or Mustang I was content to drive a 1967 Valiant and spent about 75% of my money on vintage cards. That was 25 years ago and I think it was worth the sacrifice of not having a fancy car.

Old 11-20-2005, 09:00 PM
Administrator

Posted By: nbrazil

cn...if you kept those cards, that sure was a wise thing to do. when i was younger, i thought saving up my topps 1988 cards would amount to the same thing. maybe i should have bought a nice car instead.

Old 11-21-2005, 07:20 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Darren J. Duet

5-10%

Old 11-21-2005, 10:47 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Geno

I spend 1% of a military salary each month...somehow I've managed to complete a basic T205 set, so you can imagine the condition I collect!

Geno

Old 11-21-2005, 12:06 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Max Weder

Here's my amount, but for the life of me, I keep wondering why I get further in debt....

Old 11-21-2005, 12:15 PM
Administrator

Posted By: tbob

Adam speaks for all married men collectors

Old 11-21-2005, 01:17 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Scot Reader (ebay: sreader3)

About 5%. My wife encourages me to spend more. She realizes that vintage cards have better potential for appreciation than my crappy stock picks.

Old 11-22-2005, 06:09 PM
Administrator

Posted By: identify7

It starts out simple enuff - an assembly of cards which are attractive to you, for lots of reasons. But it grows, grows more. It outgrows all attempts to contain it. The shoebox, binder(s), all attempts to enclose it. Eventually it becomes too valuable for the house itself.

And it must be fed. Continuously. Until you alone are not enuff of a provider. More cards, it must grow - it must eat.

Gentlemen: get control back!

Right now I just received two cards yesterday (none today). I have two singles incoming from purchases and a group from a trade. I am negotiating a purchase and trying to figure out how I am going to afford a multiple card offer which is pending. And I know myself to be an aspiring minor player in this game. And yet the incessent call "feed me".

It no longer is a hobby if you don't spend equal or better time enjoying your assembly of cards. And if they are not even in your home; how can you do that?

The behemoth must be controlled. Until the past couple of months I have limited my acquisitions to a budgeted expenditure which included other collectibles. Right now, there are no other collectibles budgeted. And I am over my budget.

I will stop, sit back and enjoy. My budget? Up to 2% earnings for baseball cards. Total collectibles = 5% or less, usually (that is formerly)less.

Old 11-22-2005, 06:17 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Koteles

in 2004 , I spent 51000.00 and was so disgusted in myself , I offed 50k back and spent a GRAND !

Old 11-22-2005, 06:38 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Chris Mc

A former work associate of mine has a huge card collection, somewhere in the million card plus catagory. He has a couple of self storage units to house "the commons" He is the black hole of card collectors sucking up everything that gets close enough. I asked him one time how he got that by his wife and his reply to me was that for every dollar he spent on cards he spent an equal amount on stocks and bonds. To date he has never sold or traded a card and I am pretty confident to say he is sitting on a nice nest egg.

Old 11-23-2005, 06:55 AM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

She happened to be at the office when I received the Mastro, Lipset and a few Ebay items on the same day. Had to do some pretty quick shuffling there; thankfully I could show her how the auctions ended weeks or months ago and coincidentally I got my stuff on the same day. Besides, with (1) the bow-wow stock picks she made this year, and (2) the good year my business had, she owes me some slack. Only cost me a string of ballroom dance lessons at the local community college.

Old 11-23-2005, 07:47 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Charlie O'Neal

Ballroom dancing ??? Now that's the gift that keeps on giving.

I'm sure that everyone one this board that is married would break out the ol' 2 step to get out of this question.

Old 11-23-2005, 08:06 PM
Administrator

Posted By: JimCrandell

About 35% of cash comp; including stock quite a bit less; including stock and investment income less still.

Old 11-24-2005, 07:54 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie Vognar

Old 11-24-2005, 09:02 PM
Administrator

Posted By: cmoking

100% of my gambling winnings.