NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-30-2022, 08:40 AM
Johnny MaZilli

Default Leland’s Results Mint Auction

Last Night I was Following the Path of this 1951 Bowman Mantle PSA 8

https://auction.lelands.com/bids/bidplace?itemid=107698

The Card Sold in July 2021 for $498,000 Memory Lane Auction Same Card Same Cert as Leland’s Mint Auction

https://memorylaneinc.com/site/bids/...e?itemid=60643

The card sold last night for $368,580

This card a long with other big cards is Playing Musical Chairs Auction to House Auction House. Was this done to manipulate the market and drive up the prices on all the cards across the board? Especially those of lower grade ?

Who allegedly spends that kind of money to flip losing $130,000 in less than seven months unless they’re complete idiots. I don’t know too many people with that kind of money that are that stupid unless something else is going on here.

Maybe they can take the loss if they had recouped enough off 51 Bowman Mantles in grades 2-5 they manipulated up to balance off their 130k loss….idk

I think people are finally starting to wake up.

Last edited by Johnny630; 01-30-2022 at 08:48 AM.
Old 01-30-2022, 08:50 AM
pete ullman

dunno? buy the card not the holder?

Is the rt one worth 400K more than the left???? I think not?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2022-01-30 at 9.48.40 AM.jpg (20.4 KB, 560 views)
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2022-01-30 at 9.48.23 AM.jpg (19.9 KB, 560 views)

Last edited by ullmandds; 01-30-2022 at 08:51 AM.
Old 01-30-2022, 08:54 AM
Johnny MaZilli

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post

That’s not what I’m talking about here Pete
Old 01-30-2022, 08:55 AM
pete ullman

psa 8 sold for over 500K this past weekend?

Last edited by ullmandds; 01-30-2022 at 08:55 AM.
Old 01-30-2022, 08:58 AM
pete ullman

I mean I am certainly a believer in the pump and dump schemes in the hobby...but also the easy money in the economy/hobby has pretty much come to an end?

Just like in the market the overvaluedstocks with nonsensical valuations have fallen back to earth...where the quality stocks have held their own moreso.

The 500K mantle just sold is much better than the lelands one you've shown...imo?
Old 01-30-2022, 08:58 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

IMO Single stupidest auction....I've ever seen.

Guessing these cards will appear ( back?) On the collectable app. As the fine print shows they were a sponsor of the auction.

Lelands, since the passing of Josh Evans, had gone down him and gaining speed.

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 01-30-2022, 09:05 AM
Johnny MaZilli

Quote:
I mean I am certainly a believer in the pump and dump schemes in the hobby...but also the easy money in the economy/hobby has pretty much come to an end?

Just like in the market the overvaluedstocks with nonsensical valuations have fallen back to earth...where the quality stocks have held their own moreso.

The 500K mantle just sold is much better than the lelands one you've shown...imo?
Pete I don agree it is better :-) , $150k better I can’t buy. People who are collectors with big money pay for grade to a large extent.

I guess what I’m trying to say is I believe this card has been moved around by a leveraged group of buyers manipulating the price not just on this card I feel it’s been going on for a least the past two years.

Last edited by Johnny630; 01-30-2022 at 09:06 AM.
Old 01-30-2022, 09:09 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny630 View Post
Pete I don agree it is better :-) , $150k better I can’t buy. People who are collectors with big money pay for grade to a large extent.

I guess what I’m trying to say is I believe this card has been moved around by a leveraged group of buyers manipulating the price not just on this card I feel it’s been going on for a least the past two years.
+1
Old 01-30-2022, 09:12 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

Quote:

See my post about the sponsor "collectable" of this ...."auction"

100% agree. I'd be curious to know if collectable consigned or bought any items. The collectable site lists

Michael Heffner
Partner at Lelands, the original sports memorabilia auction house and most respected in the hobby

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors

Last edited by Republicaninmass; 01-30-2022 at 09:57 AM.
Old 01-30-2022, 09:37 AM
pete ullman

Quote:

Gotcha
Old 01-30-2022, 10:11 AM
Charles Jackson

Thought it was interesting that 9 of their 25 items did not meet reserve (reserves were not listed), including two of three pre-war card lots as neither the T3 Turkey Red SGC set nor the 1910 E98 Cobb met reserve. The T206 set less Joe Doyle error and Wagner sold for $303K.

Last edited by cgjackson222; 01-30-2022 at 12:21 PM.
Old 01-30-2022, 10:36 AM

I have no comment on the auction, but I am glad they changed their description of the near-complete t206 set, which did meet reserve
Old 01-30-2022, 10:36 AM
Jay Shumsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgjackson222 View Post
Thought it was interesting that 9 of their 25 items did not meet reserve, including two of three pre-war card lots as neither the T3 Turkey Red SGC set nor the 1910 E98 Cobb met reserve. The T206 set less Joe Doyle error and Wagner sold for $303K.
As I posted in another thread, the listing for the T3 set had an estimate of $150-200K, and considering the overall condition of the cards in the set, that was way too high to be realistic so if the reserve was based on that, there was no chance it would sell. Final bid was around $42K so a little over $50K with the BP which was probably a reasonable price to pay for the set if it had actually sold.
Old 01-30-2022, 11:37 AM

The T206 set came in a little light IMO. With the Plank and high end Cobb I thought it would end up a bit higher.
Old 01-30-2022, 12:46 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republicaninmass View Post
IMO Single stupidest auction....I've ever seen.

Guessing these cards will appear ( back?) On the collectable app. As the fine print shows they were a sponsor of the auction.

Lelands, since the passing of Josh Evans, had gone down him and gaining speed.
Completely agree with the part in bold. Both the quality and quantity of offerings have already dropped off considerably.
Old 01-30-2022, 01:52 PM
Jeff Lazarus

I'm not super familiar with the particulars of this auction, but I do think that the last couple of years has shaken up the market in ways that will have a ripple effect for a long time.

It's hard (for me at least) to know what is going on. Which prices went up as a result of legitimate entry of new money into the market and what is driven by other factors. Of course, when funds get involved, the way that they operate could mean that at any point, one (or more) could decide that cards are not a great vehicle for storing and growing wealth, and many items can quickly reenter the market. Of course, there was likely a decent amount of "pump-and-dump" going on as well.

Certain markets, like the ticket market, seem to be maintaining many of the increases to this point. The card market has definitely seen some settling on prices.

Many of the major auction houses have shifted for 2-4 auctions a year to monthly auctions, which I don't think will benefit the hobby in the long run. It means less impressive and interesting auctions, a focus on cards over other collectibles (which is fine for some but leaves segments of the hobby out) since cards are super easy photograph, catalog and describe very quickly.

I haven't sent anything to an auction house in a couple of years but I wonder what the explosion of auctions has done for fees to the auction house... has the competition to add items meant the houses are willing to be more generous with consignors?

Interesting times. I'm glad that in general my collecting areas are obscure enough that they are not part of this whole rollercoaster.
Old 01-30-2022, 02:12 PM
Al Stein

Maybe the MAXX guy bought it with his customers' money and had to cash in.

Just because people have money doesn't mean they are smart about what to do with it. I know a lot of people that if they get $1 million they have to spend $999,000 of it.
Old 01-30-2022, 04:04 PM
Fred

Quote:

Peter, you think not? Really? There's a 7 on one flip and an 8 on the other, surely you saw that. Are you insinuating that the 7 and 8 are the same? I mean, you really wouldn't pay the extra $400K for that increment?

I think it's asinine. I'm so glad I don't give a crap about registries and trying to have the NO.1 set on earth. Especially when there's a good chance that someone with a card in a lesser grade holder probably actually has a nicer card. Oh, that's what you were getting at...
Old 01-30-2022, 06:55 PM
Drew W@i$e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topnotchsy View Post
I'm not super familiar with the particulars of this auction, but I do think that the last couple of years has shaken up the market in ways that will have a ripple effect for a long time.

It's hard (for me at least) to know what is going on. Which prices went up as a result of legitimate entry of new money into the market and what is driven by other factors. Of course, when funds get involved, the way that they operate could mean that at any point, one (or more) could decide that cards are not a great vehicle for storing and growing wealth, and many items can quickly reenter the market. Of course, there was likely a decent amount of "pump-and-dump" going on as well.

Certain markets, like the ticket market, seem to be maintaining many of the increases to this point. The card market has definitely seen some settling on prices.

Many of the major auction houses have shifted for 2-4 auctions a year to monthly auctions, which I don't think will benefit the hobby in the long run. It means less impressive and interesting auctions, a focus on cards over other collectibles (which is fine for some but leaves segments of the hobby out) since cards are super easy photograph, catalog and describe very quickly.

I haven't sent anything to an auction house in a couple of years but I wonder what the explosion of auctions has done for fees to the auction house... has the competition to add items meant the houses are willing to be more generous with consignors?

Interesting times. I'm glad that in general my collecting areas are obscure enough that they are not part of this whole rollercoaster.
I agree about the monthly auctions. I think they are over saturating the market.
Old 01-30-2022, 09:46 PM
Chase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republicaninmass View Post
See my post about the sponsor "collectable" of this ...."auction"

100% agree. I'd be curious to know if collectable consigned or bought any items. The collectable site lists

Michael Heffner
Partner at Lelands, the original sports memorabilia auction house and most respected in the hobby
Go Evan Mathis, go! What a hobby.
Old 01-31-2022, 04:37 AM
Jamie

I believe that auction was to coincide with a seminar/convention that is scheduled soon.
Old 01-31-2022, 06:38 AM
Mi.ke Que.vill.on

Default possible reason for high resserves?

I could be wrong but aren't a lot of these cards owned by the fractional ownership group who had their members agree to consign these cards as long as they met reserve?