NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 08-26-2020, 01:12 PM
Marc

Hey Greg- I know you said you might want to start collecting/displaying mini-pennants. I found this one for you with a really nice spine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2020-08-26 at 2.10.01 PM.jpg (20.6 KB, 302 views)
Old 08-26-2020, 01:20 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
Hey Leon...

Where does this thread rank, in terms of the total number of views?

It's gotta be way up there, with 686,953 views (as I write this). Even the epic "What's your Monster Number" thread has only 619,521 views.

So are there any threads that rank higher? And if so, what is the most views of any single thread?
My life's greatest achievement?
Old 08-26-2020, 04:36 PM
The Uber Anal Retentive Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by bocca001 View Post
hey greg- i know you said you might want to start collecting/displaying mini-pennants. I found this one for you with a really nice spine.
Yikes!

Last edited by thetahat; 08-26-2020 at 04:38 PM.
Old 08-26-2020, 05:32 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetahat View Post
Yikes!
Must've been the very end of the roll!
Old 08-28-2020, 01:46 PM
Rob

Picked this up from JR. It is in unbelievable condition (save for the "bite" in the A) and that has me a little concerned. The colors are super bright and it doesn't have that old smell. JR dated it to the 1930's and I have no idea. It measures 8.5" x 26". What do you guys think? Have you seen this one or any similar?

I've always thought JR to be an honest seller. Hell, he didn't even remove the dog hair that showed on the A in his ebay listing. Even if you guys say it's no good, I'm not going to raise a fuss. I think JR represented it to the best of his ability and, besides, I'm having a hard time finding any new for me Giants pennants lately.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2020-08-28 02.02.58.jpg (79.0 KB, 264 views)
File Type: jpg 2020-08-28 03.27.07.jpg (77.6 KB, 275 views)
Old 08-29-2020, 10:17 AM
Rob

I thought I had never seen the Giants pennant that Erik sold and Bocca posted. Well, scrolling thru my saved pennant pictures, I see I have three previously saved images of it. Guess I had seen it, after all.
Old 08-29-2020, 10:45 AM
Marc

Good to know that there are some others out there.

I like the look of that stitched Giants pennant, even if it is not old.
Old 08-29-2020, 11:24 AM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooo-ribay View Post
I thought I had never seen the Giants pennant that Erik sold and Bocca posted. Well, scrolling thru my saved pennant pictures, I see I have three previously saved images of it. Guess I had seen it, after all.
Been there done that.

You posted the link to your Giants photo album didn't you? Can you share again? I'd like to take another look at it.
Old 08-29-2020, 02:00 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fballguy View Post
Been there done that.

You posted the link to your Giants photo album didn't you? Can you share again? I'd like to take another look at it.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/VTWwsCGCUcnhRKy28

https://photos.app.goo.gl/5w4MyAqWtyAqb8JU7
Old 08-29-2020, 02:02 PM
Rob

Quote:

I like the look of that stitched Giants pennant, even if it is not old.
I need the "heavy hitters" (you know who you are) to weigh in.

You and I, Marc, are not quite in that category.
Old 08-29-2020, 04:11 PM

I have no idea of era and feel is best indicator but I think it is vintage. I have some very old pennants with that same unique stitching at the very top and bottom of the spine (which doesn’t permit a dowel). I’ll see if I can find an example. .... Didn’t we see a series of very old pennants like this with city names? Perhaps because of two NY teams the nickname was used.
Old 08-29-2020, 04:19 PM
Marc

I also had a Seals pennant that turned out to be not vintage that had the same type of spine (no way to slide in a stick) and stitched letters. I forget the name of the company that made it, but Seattlerainers helped me figure it out.
Old 08-29-2020, 05:05 PM
Rob

Quote:
I have no idea of era and feel is best indicator but I think it is vintage. I have some very old pennants with that same unique stitching at the very top and bottom of the spine (which doesn’t permit a dowel). I’ll see if I can find an example. .... Didn’t we see a series of very old pennants like this with city names? Perhaps because of two NY teams the nickname was used.
Yeah, those auctioned recently. I’ll backtrack thru this thread. One somewhat comforting thing is that my pennant does have pinholes at the corners.
Old 08-29-2020, 06:02 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Some good news, and some bad (to a far lesser extent...)

I completely agree with Greg that "feel" is the best indicator. But (without having it in-hand) I like the look and grain of the felt, as much as the pics can portray. Everything else about it also looks vintage and correct.

The Pin holes are a good sign, as are the little moth bites in the "A". Moths are not too hot on polyester blends, last I checked.

So with that said... what era is it from? Those previously discussed generic embroidered types from the Teens were all full-sized and had 2-color tassels. Plus, they had the City Name, rather than a team name. This Giants pennant is 3/4 size, and looks much more like it's from the very late 1940s - mid 1950s.

The Giants switched from a Blue/Red color scheme to Black/Orange in 1947. Based on all of this, I feel strongly that it's an early - mid '50s NY Giants pennant.

Hope this helps!

Last edited by perezfan; 08-29-2020 at 06:03 PM.
Old 08-29-2020, 07:00 PM
Rob

Quote:
Some good news, and some bad (to a far lesser extent...)

I completely agree with Greg that "feel" is the best indicator. But (without having it in-hand) I like the look and grain of the felt, as much as the pics can portray. Everything else about it also looks vintage and correct.

The Pin holes are a good sign, as are the little moth bites in the "A". Moths are not too hot on polyester blends, last I checked.

So with that said... what era is it from? Those previously discussed generic embroidered types from the Teens were all full-sized and had 2-color tassels. Plus, they had the City Name, rather than a team name. This Giants pennant is 3/4 size, and looks much more like it's from the very late 1940s - mid 1950s.

The Giants switched from a Blue/Red color scheme to Black/Orange in 1947. Based on all of this, I feel strongly that it's an early - mid '50s NY Giants pennant.

Hope this helps!
That does help! It is made of super soft felt. I noticed the tassels seem longer than usual....
Old 08-29-2020, 07:37 PM
Rob

Quote:
Didn’t we see a series of very old pennants like this with city names? Perhaps because of two NY teams the nickname was used.
We did and I just wasted one and a half hours of my life (that I’ll never get back), trying to find a fairly recent AH listing of maybe 8 of them. I’m thinking the auction was within the last year. I think the lot of 8 went for around $500, which may have been the opening bid. Does anyone remember whose auction that was?

I did find a couple of posts in this thread (page 60ish) where someone posted an original newspaper ad to those “city” pennants. Unlike mine, those had two different color tassels and the lettering was kind of 3-D. I’d still like to find that damn auction, though, so I can compare them to mine!
Old 08-29-2020, 07:45 PM

Quote:

I'm no heavy hitter, but I completely agree with Mark: it's likely from the late 1940s or 50s. These 26" long pennants were super, super common during that time frame. They seem to have become less popular by the 1960s.

Last edited by Domer05; 08-29-2020 at 07:59 PM.
Old 08-29-2020, 07:58 PM

Quote:
We did and I just wasted one and a half hours of my life (that I’ll never get back), trying to find a fairly recent AH listing of maybe 8 of them. I’m thinking the auction was within the last year. I think the lot of 8 went for around $500, which may have been the opening bid. Does anyone remember whose auction that was?

I did find a couple of posts in this thread (page 60ish) where someone posted an original newspaper ad to those “city” pennants. Unlike mine, those had two different color tassels and the lettering was kind of 3-D. I’d still like to find that damn auction, though, so I can compare them to mine!
Boom! See: https://memorylaneinc.com/site/bids/...e?itemid=53212

Definitely not from the same series..... Those promo baseball pennants measured 10" x 30" and had a "Detroit Free Press" label on the reverse.
Old 08-29-2020, 08:36 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domer05 View Post
Boom! See: https://memorylaneinc.com/site/bids/...e?itemid=53212

Definitely not from the same series..... Those promo baseball pennants measured 10" x 30" and had a "Detroit Free Press" label on the reverse.
Thank you! Definitely not close but at least now I can get on with my life.

The price was higher than I remembered. $177 ea.
Old 08-30-2020, 07:18 AM

Quote:
I'm no heavy hitter, but I completely agree with Mark: it's likely from the late 1940s or 50s. These 26" long pennants were super, super common during that time frame. They seem to have become less popular by the 1960s.
No heavy hitter? Are you kidding? You’re like a fully roided Barry Bonds playing in Coors Field! (Sorry Marc and Rob) ... your research is amazing and has greatly added to the enjoyment of my hobby.
Old 08-30-2020, 08:28 AM
Rob

Quote:
No heavy hitter? Are you kidding? You’re like a fully roided Barry Bonds playing in Coors Field! (Sorry Marc and Rob) ... your research is amazing and has greatly added to the enjoyment of my hobby.
I miss those days
Old 08-30-2020, 10:27 AM

Did we ever determine whether that same newspaper (or another newspaper) ever released a similar pennant series for National League teams around the year 1913? I can't say I've ever seen a "BROOKLYN" pennant that was 10" x 30," had 3-D sewn letters, and multi-colored tassels before.

I'm thinking probably not, as Detroit was solely an American League city; and the Detroit Free Press likely didn't cover the National League teams too much in those days.

But who's to say another newspaper from a National League city wouldn't have tried the same promo using NL teams?
Old 08-30-2020, 10:50 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Did we ever determine whether that same newspaper (or another newspaper) ever released a similar pennant series for National League teams around the year 1913? I can't say I've ever seen a "BROOKLYN" pennant that was 10" x 30," had 3-D sewn letters, and multi-colored tassels before.

I'm thinking probably not, as Detroit was solely an American League city; and the Detroit Free Press likely didn't cover the National League teams too much in those days.

But who's to say another newspaper from a National League city wouldn't have tried the same promo using NL teams?
I think something probably would have turned up at some point. I have never seen the NL versions of those specific pennants (with the 2-color tassels and the 3D style embroidered lettering). I would surmise that there was never a National League version of those.... but you never know!
Old 08-30-2020, 11:01 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
I agree with Kyle being a heavy hitter. But rather than a roided-up Bonds, I think he's more of a Rod Carew. Methodical, well-studied, patient, and uses his research to deliver the blow. Carew was a "hitting scientist" who put in the hard work, rather than taking illegal shortcuts as a path to success.

So I would say Kyle is the Rod Carew (or perhaps the Tony Gwynn) of this Forum. Greg is the Babe Ruth, and Baseball Rob is the Willie Mays. That guy who started the angry vindictive Glove Repair thread can be the Barry Bonds (roid-rage and all).
Old 08-30-2020, 11:13 AM
Rob

Not sure what this is but interesting that it's embroidered and has multicolored tassels. Seller claims from 1900s but offers no provenance to support that.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Milwaukee.jpg (74.2 KB, 239 views)
Old 08-30-2020, 12:30 PM
Rob

Quote:
That guy who started the angry vindictive Glove Repair thread can be the Barry Bonds (roid-rage and all).
Hey, now! Don't believe the hype!
Old 08-30-2020, 12:35 PM
Rob

Quote:
If it was I who started calling them "3-D letters", I don't think that is accurate. "3-D" would be a border on on the left or right and top or bottom as if you were viewing from either side from above or below. Those "city name" pennants have fully outlined borders. Yes?
Old 08-30-2020, 01:13 PM
Doug Goodman

Quote:
I miss those days
I used to get in trouble with security for wearing my "Pitch To Barry" shirt to Dodger Stadium.
Old 08-30-2020, 05:00 PM

Quote:
I agree with Kyle being a heavy hitter. But rather than a roided-up Bonds, I think he's more of a Rod Carew. Methodical, well-studied, patient, and uses his research to deliver the blow. Carew was a "hitting scientist" who put in the hard work, rather than taking illegal shortcuts as a path to success.

So I would say Kyle is the Rod Carew (or perhaps the Tony Gwynn) of this Forum. Greg is the Babe Ruth, and Baseball Rob is the Willie Mays. That guy who started the angry vindictive Glove Repair thread can be the Barry Bonds (roid-rage and all).
Well thank you, but in the broader baseball memorabilia world I’d be more like a Rob Deer. One dimensional!
Old 08-30-2020, 05:11 PM

Quote:

Oh man ... I AM ROD CAREW.....

Very well then, I pledge to only use my research for the good of our hobby.
Old 09-01-2020, 05:47 AM
Stephen

Big thanks to Fballguy for the opportunity to add these Tiger pennants to my collection.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2822.jpg (36.7 KB, 226 views)
Old 09-01-2020, 06:24 AM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by ser1979 View Post
Big thanks to Fballguy for the opportunity to add these Tiger pennants to my collection.
Awesome. You're welcome! Really glad they made it to you. The USPS has been an adventure lately. That was relatively quick considering.
Old 09-01-2020, 10:00 AM
Marc

This is the most pristine white Giants pennant I've ever been able to buy. It's in really nice shape. My picture doesn't do it justice. It's not felt... more like a very stiff cloth material. Like cloth soaked in paint. Thanks to Greg for pointing it out to me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Giants white and pinkish pennant.jpg (53.2 KB, 216 views)
Old 09-01-2020, 10:20 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Great acquisitions, Stephen and Marc!!
Old 09-01-2020, 10:57 AM

Quote:
This is the most pristine white Giants pennant I've ever been able to buy. It's in really nice shape. My picture doesn't do it justice. It's not felt... more like a very stiff cloth material. Like cloth soaked in paint. Thanks to Greg for pointing it out to me.
Marc and I have had discussions about the 1969-197? ASCO set. You may recall I have an unhealthy obsession with trying to complete the 1969 set in cloth, with the distinct fat MLB mark. This is no doubt the same company. I need a few teams still ... I have them in felt not cloth ... but I have never seen the ‘69 cloth ASCO Giants. It likely looks like this one, I wonder if it is multicolor. The felt versions are all black on orange.
Old 09-02-2020, 03:05 PM
Rob

Well. boys, it's a momentous day here in the "Hey, pennant guys" thread because I have figured out how you Heavy Hitters can frame your oversized pennants. If you look in the "September pickups" thread. you'll see my latest, low end acquisition. It measured 22 x 28, so I bought a cheap ($12) 24 x 36 poster frame and cut it down (I do this with both plastic and wood frames).

With the leftover plexi, I framed a small NYG pennant. You could do the same with oversized pennants. The only tools you need are shown in the photo (those and a straight edge). You could get one frame out of a 24 x 36 frame or two out of a 27 x 40. Unfortunately, you would not have enough "edging" for the two but, with a steady hand, wrapping the edges with black electrical tape wouldn't look terrible....at least not to a "low end" guy like me.

I really hope someone (Greg?) tries this and posts the results!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2020-09-02 04.49.40.jpg (77.3 KB, 201 views)

Last edited by ooo-ribay; 09-02-2020 at 06:35 PM.
Old 09-02-2020, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Well. boys, it's a momentous day here in the "Hey, pennant guys" thread because I have figured out how you Heavy Hitters can frame your oversized pennants. If you look in the "September pickups" thread. you'll see my latest, low end acquisition. It measured 22 x 28, so I bought a cheap ($12) 24 x 36 poster frame and cut it down (I do this with both plastic and wood frames).

With the leftover plexi, I framed a small NYG pennant. You could do the same with oversized pennants. The only tools you need are shown in the photo (those and a straight edge). You could get one frame out of a 24 x 36 frame or two out of a 27 x 40. Unfortunately, you would have enough "edging" for the two but, with a steady hand, wrapping the edges with black electrical tape wouldn't look terrible....at least not to a "low end" guy like me.

I really hope someone (Greg?) tries this and posts the results!
That’s awesome!!! You used a utility knife to cut the plastic and it cut easy without chipping? Great work. I have been doing this with 20 and even 40 gauge vinyl rolls. I made 5 holders from a rolls that cost $40 which was almost half shipping. This looks fantastic.

And I should add that it’s an awesome pennant, too!

Last edited by thetahat; 09-02-2020 at 06:20 PM.
Old 09-02-2020, 05:24 PM

I am definitely going to try this, Rob ... here is one of my vinyl holders which is soft but much thicker than soft sleeves. I’m also doing this for my minis which I am now collecting ...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2C7BB615-8BBD-4FC5-BA79-9896D61331C7.jpg (19.7 KB, 188 views)

Last edited by thetahat; 09-02-2020 at 05:59 PM.
Old 09-02-2020, 06:34 PM
Rob

Quote:
That’s awesome!!! You used a utility knife to cut the plastic and it cut easy without chipping? Great work. I have been doing this with 20 and even 40 gauge vinyl rolls. I made 5 holders from a rolls that cost $40 which was almost half shipping. This looks fantastic.

And I should add that it’s an awesome pennant, too!
The little yellow tool is a plexiglass cutter. It basically scores the plexi, which then snaps cleanly. The plexi that comes in those cheap poster frames is very thin but I’ve also used this tool on heavier plexiglass (a 4’ x 8’ sheet). The utility knife would probably work on the thin stuff although the yellow tool only cost a few bucks. I used the utility knife to cut the cardboard backing and the “frame.”
Old 09-02-2020, 10:47 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
I am definitely going to try this, Rob ... here is one of my vinyl holders which is soft but much thicker than soft sleeves. I’m also doing this for my minis which I am now collecting ...
Gee Greg...

Couldn't you pick a better pennant to demonstrate your vinyl holder?

Last edited by perezfan; 09-02-2020 at 10:48 PM.
Old 09-03-2020, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Gee Greg...

Couldn't you pick a better pennant to demonstrate your vinyl holder?
Ha .... yes this is one of my favorites, everything is stitched including the elephant. No paint.
Old 09-03-2020, 03:07 PM
Rob

Greg - I’d probably pop for the acrylic cutter. It drags out a little curl of plastic as you pull it towards you. The utility knife might work but it also might be too fine.
Old 09-04-2020, 06:09 PM

Two recent pickups. Athletics is unknown year, but I suspect it is early 1930s at the latest. Maybe late teens? Very thick, soft felt. Normal size pennant. Red Sox is a Keezer, I guess they did multicolor only for local Sox. I found it interesting that despite having a spine, the tassels were stitched on the outside.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg B84833AA-12F8-4A2D-97EB-A0EDA2A845F7.jpg (20.3 KB, 153 views)
File Type: jpg 6578E544-ABED-4CA6-B60D-7204261F46CE.jpg (21.1 KB, 154 views)
File Type: jpg 4EC8A9D2-E725-4647-A250-40AF4D4673FC.jpg (14.0 KB, 154 views)

Last edited by thetahat; 09-04-2020 at 06:10 PM.
Old 09-05-2020, 04:00 PM
Marc

I don't think I've ever seen tassels stitched that way before.
Old 09-06-2020, 09:21 AM
Rob

Quote:
I don't think I've ever seen tassels stitched that way before.
Nor have I.

I did another little experiment a few days back...washing a pennant. Just hot water and some powdered laundry soap. I was a tad freaked at first but the stains shown in my picture came out completely. The red isn't any the worse for wear, altho the spine is a bit lighter now.

The old, cloth-like pennants seem really delicate when they are soaking wet!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2822.jpg (76.2 KB, 119 views)
File Type: jpg 2020-09-03 03.02.39.jpg (71.7 KB, 118 views)
Old 09-06-2020, 09:23 AM
Rob

I'm wondering if any of you knew Bob Rothschild? He was a pre-ebay, SCD pennant seller. My collection pretty much started with pennants bought from Bob in the 1990's.
Old 09-06-2020, 11:11 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Same here! No pics in those SCD ads. Just a written one-line description for each item. I probably bought 25 of my very first Pennants from Bob. What a different world back then!

He was a no-nonsense Guy. Is Bob still around?
Old 09-06-2020, 11:58 AM
Rob

Quote:
Same here! No pics in those SCD ads. Just a written one-line description for each item. I probably bought 25 of my very first Pennants from Bob. What a different world back then!

He was a no-nonsense Guy. Is Bob still around?
Don't know if he's still around. I think, back then, you still needed to consider the time of day for "long distance rates."
Old 09-06-2020, 12:31 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Very true. And I still remember calling to reserve them, only to find they had sold days ago. SCD took forever just to reach the west coast.
Old 09-06-2020, 03:29 PM
Jim Murphy

The halfway point between Bobs house in Jersey and mine was an exit of the Jersey turnpike. We met quit often back then