NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present)

Old 11-01-2014, 03:40 PM

Default Topps uncut sheets

Can someone educate me. Did Topps have sheets with the order
of the players different on each sheet or all the same? If different, any idea
of how many different sheets with a certain player you would find?
Old 11-01-2014, 08:19 PM
D3nn!s B@!!ou

For years 1974 on I think they would have lettered sheets like a,b,c,d. And the cards would be consistent on those sheets. At least that was my understanding, though I could be wrong. Before 74 with individual series, I am not sure although I believe topps was pretty consistent with keeping order in the sheets.
Old 11-01-2014, 08:52 PM
Steve Birmingham

That's pretty much it. 74 through ? Not sure weren't lettered, but were 132 card sheets. Actually printed two sheets side by side, so there were probably two of each sheet. the 726 card sets all had one row doubleprinted on each sheet, so six sheets. Or three double width sheets.

They were consistent.

One interesting thing and one exception.
in 1983 they sold uncut sheets through retail chains like child world. I haven't seen a wrapped one in a long time, and hardly ever saw the wrapper for sale.

And in I think 1984 there was a mail in offer. Save some number of wrappers and send them in with some small payment and you could get any 10 cards you needed. Of course nearly everyone abused the system and ordered an assortment of stars or rookies. Topps made special sheets to handle the lopsided demand that had each high demand card in a group of three. They're very uncommon, I've seen one and I'm sure it was cut into blocks of three.

Steve B
Old 11-02-2014, 11:31 AM

Default Uncut sheets

Are you saying that there could be 4 different variations of order on where
a particular player is located on a sheet ?
Old 11-03-2014, 09:17 AM
Steve Birmingham

From 74 till the mid 90's and maybe beyond I believe they're almost all the same layouts.

What I was explaining badly is that the sets don't fit the production sheets exactly.
660/132 =5 but the sheets direct from the press are 264 cards, so there's either an extra sheet OR they printed something else on the other sheet, or they printed 5 press sheets making it all work out evenly.

I'd forgotten about the 74 and 76 traded sets. It looks like there were different layouts used while those were being sent out. I found a picture of a 76 sheet with some of the traded cards on it and an odd layout.

Steve B
Old 11-03-2014, 02:40 PM

Default Uncut sheets

Thank you for your help
Old 11-04-2014, 01:05 PM
Howie Schenker

I bought 1985 sheets at a retail store.
Old 11-26-2014, 12:30 PM

Default Topps Sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
From 74 till the mid 90's and maybe beyond I believe they're almost all the same layouts.

What I was explaining badly is that the sets don't fit the production sheets exactly.
660/132 =5 but the sheets direct from the press are 264 cards, so there's either an extra sheet OR they printed something else on the other sheet, or they printed 5 press sheets making it all work out evenly.

I'd forgotten about the 74 and 76 traded sets. It looks like there were different layouts used while those were being sent out. I found a picture of a 76 sheet with some of the traded cards on it and an odd layout.

Steve B
Steve is correct. For some of the cards printed in later years, the sheet code (ie A-F) was printed on the reverse of the card. If alterations were made to the original sheet, Topps would include an "*" next to the letter as in the attached. I am not sure when Topps went from the typical copyright code to adding sheet codes as well as copyright data.

Z Wheat
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sheet Code.jpg (21.5 KB, 88 views)