NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 10-26-2016, 11:50 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Default Van Oeyen Photo

I picked up this photo for a grand total of $10. Is marked on the back that it's from the Western Reserve Historical Society's Van Oeyen collection. There is of course a real place with a significant collection of sports photos. Scratching my head. Looks new but is the museum in the business of printing new copies? Is this just a gift shop item?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0474.jpg (36.7 KB, 221 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0475(1).JPG (69.6 KB, 226 views)
Old 10-26-2016, 12:39 PM
Banned

Ya its a modern reprint...great image though
Old 10-26-2016, 11:29 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

Even as a reprint, $10 is a reasonable price. I would guess it may have been some sort of internal or press photo, not a gift short item.
Old 10-27-2016, 08:35 PM
L@nce Fit.tro

The WRHS is where a large chunk of Van Oeyen's negatives wound up. They were originally pulled from his files for a retrospective book of his photography that was never published. They still have the negatives there, and I believe you can purchase prints directly from them if you go there in person, but they also have an arrangement with Getty for many of the images. Bill Boyd on our board was in contact with them quite a bit when trying to pin down info on some Van Oeyen photos of Babe Ruth that he had.

Unfortunately, the WRHS does not have a website with the photos where they are publicly available for remote viewing or ordering prints, and their catalog of Van Oeyen's images, such that it is, has a lot of missing information regarding who the subjects are in many of the images.

Long story short, that does appear to be a modern print from one of the original negatives that they have in their archive. As David said, $10 is not a bad price for a quality modern reprint from the original negative, and I believe is substantially less than what they would charge you for the same print today.
Old 10-28-2016, 10:47 AM
Bill Boyd

Steve,
These copies can be purchased over the phone as well, by calling the WRHS, as long as you know the folder number of the photo you want. The WRHS has about 500 photos in the VanOeyen collection, about 26 of Babe Ruth. At least that is what they have on their index list. Their index list is for sale, however many on the list are unidentified, and remain so.
I posted a couple of sample pages on a thread about a year and a half ago. The photos remain unidentified. Getty owns many of the negatives to the original photos they have on file. The WRHS is allowed to sell a copy from the originals, but I am sure Getty gets the majority of the $10.
Here is a link to the thread I started some time ago, with an example of two of the index pages.

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=189967
Old 10-29-2016, 07:54 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Bill many thanks. I did a search here before posting and didn't see your thread.

I didn't think I was getting a steal for $10, but was curious why they were making prints. Thanks.

Last edited by Snapolit1; 10-29-2016 at 07:55 AM.