NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 03-07-2024, 10:33 PM

Default Raw cards and PSA crackouts going to SGC

I've been procrastinating sending these cards in to SGC for grading, but SGC will be at the Phoenix Card Show this weekend so it's time to do it. Some are raw, some I'll be cracking out of PSA holders to submit.

With the raw cards I'm going with SGC even though PSA is acquiring them. It seems PSA is incredibly harsh grading lately, and researching sales of these cards on eBay it appears SGC has been getting prices very comparable to PSA.

I'm going to crack these out in hopes of getting 8's on them. I doubt they would grade lower, so I'll give it a shot.

Feel free to give me your thoughts. Potential grades on the raw cards? Is it worth a shot on the crackouts? It's not the end of the world if I'm not successful, and I'm curious to see first hand how SGC grades will compare to PSA.

Thanks, Mark

https://www.net54baseball.com/attach...1&d=1709875231

https://www.net54baseball.com/attach...1&d=1709875501
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1972 Erving 300 pixels.jpg (54.7 KB, 311 views)
File Type: jpg 1973 Erving front 300 dpi.jpg (48.2 KB, 307 views)
File Type: jpg 77 Erving 320.jpg (27.3 KB, 303 views)
File Type: jpg 59 Musial 320.jpg (26.2 KB, 313 views)
File Type: jpg 67 Aaron 320.jpg (34.1 KB, 308 views)
File Type: jpg 61 Clemente 320.jpg (48.1 KB, 305 views)
File Type: jpg 63 F Robinson 320.jpg (39.2 KB, 305 views)
File Type: jpg 63 Gibson 320.jpg (36.4 KB, 306 views)
File Type: jpg 63McCovey 320.jpg (39.1 KB, 306 views)
File Type: jpg 64 Gibson 320.jpg (36.5 KB, 307 views)
Old 03-08-2024, 12:27 AM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Hey, I would be careful with the 1967 Aaron, because my eye told me it looks unnaturally thin. So I laid it on top of your Musial to compare them (assuming the same scanner was used, etc.), and it doesn't appear to match up. Look on the left side. The bright white is the Aaron card, and the dull grayish stuff extending beyond it is the Musial - looking a bit wider than it.

Could be nothing, but definitely give it a proper measuring to protect yourself, and good luck with the sub!!

59Musial67aaroncomp.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 03-08-2024, 01:26 AM

I was thinking the same thing about the Aaron.
Scott
Old 03-08-2024, 08:18 AM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

I guess I'm not sure I follow your motivation here, particularly with respect to those that are already graded by PSA.

Are you merely curious to see how SGC will grade these?

Have cash to burn, so feel like spending more on TPG services?

Your collection is mostly SGC, and the PSA slabs don't fit in?

Or are you genuinely trying to get some grade bumps because you think they are undergraded?

I guess the whole exercise intrigues me a bit. But as a helpless set registry goon, I'm the last one to be casting aspersions and throwing stones. Regardless, I wish you luck, and I guess we'll see how it turns out in a few weeks when you get them back.

1963 Post complete panel
1968 American Oil left side
1971 Bazooka numbered complete panel
Old 03-08-2024, 08:35 AM
Will.i.@m $t@dy

That Dr. J rookie is a beauty. Love those crunchy edges.

If you want a card, you might not get a deal. If you want a deal, you might not get a card.
Old 03-10-2024, 07:49 PM
Eric
E.ric Bau.mh0er

I agree with the above thoughts on the 67 Aaron ,
Also would not break the Clemente out - appears to be less strictly graded - I would peddle it .. use the funds to get an already graded SGC with better registration and less print dots
Old 03-10-2024, 09:48 PM
Mike P.ap

Default ........

I would NOT crack any of those PSA cards to slab with SGC. SGC is and has been much stricter in terms of recognizing alterations.

I will say this, you will most likely not be happy with the results.

My 2 cents.

PS Please post your results if you decide to do this with pics please! I've been wrong before! Thanks!

Last edited by vthobby; 03-10-2024 at 09:52 PM.
Old 03-11-2024, 11:19 AM
J@son Per1

Quote:
Originally Posted by vthobby View Post
I would NOT crack any of those PSA cards to slab with SGC. SGC is and has been much stricter in terms of recognizing alterations.

I will say this, you will most likely not be happy with the results.

My 2 cents.

PS Please post your results if you decide to do this with pics please! I've been wrong before! Thanks!
Agree with Mike, seems like a bad gamble. Hope I'm wrong but you are cracking out relatively old PSA slabs and hoping to turn 7s into an 8s, but with SGC which ceteris paribus won't generate as much revenue as PSA at same grade levels. You will have to crack them out, deal with the shipping costs, and risk, and then hope pretty much for 8s or better across the board to do better than break even.

It could work out, but I wouldn't do it. Then again, they are your cards and it might be an enjoyable project/experiment.
Old 03-11-2024, 11:57 AM
Will.i.@m $t@dy

Yeah, the OP doesn't seem concerned about any harm coming from this being a fail...so I think it's great fun and will provide some interesting information.

If you want a card, you might not get a deal. If you want a deal, you might not get a card.
Old 03-13-2024, 08:15 AM
J0hn Collin$

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidepocket View Post
It seems PSA is incredibly harsh grading lately, and researching sales of these cards on eBay it appears SGC has been getting prices very comparable to PSA.
I wouldn't say harsh so much as incredibly inconsistent. If I had a dollar for every person I've seen sending NM cards in that are returned PSA 4's recently - well, I'd have more $ to spend on this hobby, for sure.

Last year a good friend of mine (and board member, hi Robert...) sent in a blazer Ryan RC, only it was miscut s-s. The corners even under magnification were pack fresh perfect, nothing else wrong with the card. We were expecting it to get an 8 (MC) from PSA at the minimum. Instead they sent it back a 4 (MC). Total crap grade and inconsistent with their standards - I could have seen them giving it a straight 4 for the MC if they didn't want to use a qualifier - but as many of you know, that's not how PSA rolls. Giving it such a low grade with the qualifer everyone knew it would get anyway was asinine, and I would bet money would not happen to a submitter who was a known quantity to PSA.

I digress, only to say to your original post those cards have a lot better chance of getting a fair shake at SGC than they do at PSA right now. Acquisition or not...

Last edited by jchcollins; 03-13-2024 at 08:18 AM.
Old 03-15-2024, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidepocket View Post
..... it appears SGC has been getting prices very comparable to PSA.
Mark,

I know you are referencing the cards listed below your post, but it also depends upon what set is being crossed. Some sets still have a wider disparity in prices for the comparable grades.