NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-08-2009, 08:43 AM
Administrator

Default Steve Finley-Next moderator of Network 54

Posted By: marshall barkman

After contacting Leon last night and informing him in regards to how i feel about Network54 here is a lovely e-mail sent to me by one of the outstanding politically correct members of Network54. Instead of the guy actually having the guts to be himself here and post his thoughts in a thread he decides to write my personal e-mail. I actually kind of like the guy but i wish he would have just been himself in public instead of a coward and e-mailing me personally. The world needs more personality. I posted this e-mail because others on here have acted like i do not get e-mails from folks in regards to Network54.

Marshall,
I am a regular visitor to network 54, but I in absolutely no way ever claim to be as knowledgeable about cards as people such as Dan, Leon, Jeff L., Sloate, or the rest of them. I could, however, not give a **** if you ever post there again. In short, well.... you're a douche bag. Face it. Tomorrow look in the mirror at yourself and honestly tell me that you're not a D-Bag. You can't do it. I've read all your posts and I know that you come from money that you spend on cards and horses and sweatbands that you probably wear on your wrist when you go to the mall. But all of those material items don't negate your douche-ness. The rest of of them are to kind to say it, but.... god you're a ****ing loser.
Don't sell yourself short though. As an audio engineer I really appreciate your music. I appreciate how ****ing horrible it is.

Elaine- Thank your bassist... for ripping off Nirvana. You ****ing Douche. "I'm sick and tired of all your ****. I've figured out who you are and it makes me sick." God someone give you an award. I can hook you up with SESAC. They love ****ty writers. Oh yeah, if you're a ****ing retard and didn't understand what I said at first, listen to Nirvana's "Polly" and then tell me your bassist is brillant. Because he's not. He's a joke just like you.

Super Girl- Nice three chord progression for the intro. ****ty Lyrics. Call SESAC. Also for the verse... nice three chord progression. No wonder you're famous.

Fate- Not even going to touch that one. To ****ing easy.

It's Okay- Yeah it's ****ing OK because they drown your piece of **** - muted chord - disaster of vocals in so much ****ing reverb I fell like I'm in blaring your song in Westminster Abbey. God you're a ****ing loser.

And what are you.... ****ing 40? Why the **** are you wearing sweatbands on your arm?

****. Seriously.

Do me a favor and accept the fact you're a joke and shut your **** face.

Old 03-08-2009, 08:48 AM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

Your last email to me, early early this morning, said you were leaving Net54. I don't hate you. I don't even dislike you, however, as I had said, I have a job to keep harmony on Net54 VBCF and you can't seem to understand that. If I protect you and lose 20 good, every day VINTAGE CARD folks (which you really aren't), have I done the community a service? regards

Old 03-08-2009, 09:09 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Al C.risafulli

Well-played, Steve.

-Al

Old 03-08-2009, 09:12 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Fred C

Seriously, did Steve Finley have the courtesy to insert all of those asterisks? I would think in a personal email he could have at least just spelled it out. This is the problem with our country today. People just wont say what's really on their minds...

Old 03-08-2009, 09:19 AM
Administrator

I can safely say the original email didn't have asterisks in it....IF all of those that are so upset about Marshall would start a great Vintage card thread we would be in good shape. best regards

Old 03-08-2009, 09:27 AM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

I've been emailing Leon all morning and agreed not to start a thread about Marshall's conduct, but since Marshall started one himself then I will express my thoughts. And I know Marshall will neither listen to or care about what I have to say, but hopefully other board members will.

Marshall, it's time for you to go. Period. After a rocky start on Net54 I actually thought you were doing a pretty good job contributing to this community. A bit eccentric, no doubt, but certainly conforming to how we do things. But I always felt you were one post away from blowing it all.

And of course last night was the night. I know you don't give a hoot what anyone says about you, and frankly I could care less. But like it or not this board is a community, and if you can't agree to abide by a few rules of simple decorum, then I say you are not welcome here.

You insult Wonka, Al C., Joshua L., Jim VB, Joann, me, and just about anyone who crosses your path. These are really good intelligent people who don't need a smart-ass like you telling them otherwise. I don't give a sh*t about Marilyn Manson or how many naked women you've seen or what loser rock band you have been in, conform to the f*cking rules on this board or leave.

Old 03-08-2009, 09:30 AM
Administrator

Posted By: rob

NOISE brought, Sloate-style.

by the way, when's the next auction Barry?

Old 03-08-2009, 09:31 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jim VB

OK. Who are you and what have you done with our real Barry Sloate?

Old 03-08-2009, 09:34 AM
Administrator

That isn't quite what I meant about starting a new thread but you are certainly entitled to espouse (is that the correct word?) your opinion, just like everyone else. I guess I don't mind mentioning that, in my opinion, when you are part of a community you do give up certain personal rights to be a part of it. Not conforming to our more's is not something that bodes well, long term. I do agree that either our members get with the program (community) or not participate in it....best regards

Old 03-08-2009, 09:38 AM
Administrator

Posted By: john/z28jd

Leon,sometimes the inmates know how to run the asylum because they have been there so long. Your comment should be the other way around in most peoples eyes.I haven't said a thing to or about Marshall since his first week and I'm keeping it that way but I do moderate a fairly busy tight-knit baseball board as you know and I realized when posters get together against one person who is knowingly causing problems the quality of the board goes down until that problem is resolved. Telling people to start a thread about vintage cards is basically telling them what theyre rallying for is wrong despite what so many people think. The outcries are going to continue until the problem is solved because the Net54 family sticks together,I think we've proven that in the past with others who for one reason or another wore out their welcome

Old 03-08-2009, 09:42 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve

Geez I missed all the fun last night.

Marshall is not a bad guy. You guys are all wrong.

Steve

Old 03-08-2009, 09:45 AM
Administrator

I could be wrong but I think the problem is pretty well resolved. I choose to ask for positive contributions instead of negative ones. We all moderate differently I guess....take care

Old 03-08-2009, 09:46 AM
Administrator

Sorry all if I got carried away, but Marshall pushed the wrong button. When I read his posts from last night I had just about enough.

Old 03-08-2009, 09:46 AM
Administrator

This will be my last post in regards to this precious Natzi boot camp. I understand full well what goes on here in this community. You have like 10 people who are very critical and jump down people's throats when they spell words wrong or post something wrong about a card or anything wrong where they can impower themselves. You see miserable people with no power get power by getting in a group like this.

Case in point. Last week i posted where i needed help in regards to a card, no big deal there was no mudslinging or name calling. I recieved two private e-mails in regards to the card and both board members said the same thing. Basically they did not want folks on here to know they were helping me and also if they were wrong then they would be immediatly bombarded with critical remarks and made fun of. I mean are you serious? Is this a baseball card message board or a Natzi boot camp? Man if i were afraid to voice my opinion anywhere i would move on pronto.

Also i will state for the record Elaine was written in 1990 before polly was and the tracks on my website are all demo tracks that were written for demo purposes for RCA records in 1990.....jeez the songs were written 19 years ago and Finley acts like i wrote them last night. I do not come from money and the money i have is made by yours truly. Also Mr.Finley i think James Paul Wisner and Chris Lord Alge have accomplished more in their musical careers so i will leave it that Mr. audio engineer wizard.

I really do understand the 20 folks that Leon is referring to. I understand that in order to be a part of this group and function then one has to be very submissive by nature and if someone makes fun of them or is critical then do not respond back......especially to Wonka who hovers over the group in his flying saucer chocolate eclair.

I really do not socialize with people or have friends that do not act like Americans. My friends and i cut up all the time and give each other the needle because we do live in the land of the free. I also do not hijack threads looking to start trouble knowing because i am well respected in the community that a blind eye will be turned my way.

You guys can have your Natzi boot camp board and i do feel sorry for all the members that do not feel comfortable enough where they can even post their opinion or take part in threads because they fear the backlash that will happen from this group.

Last i will say i do like this Finley character. I wish he would have just been a real person and posted his true thoughts on the board.....ohhhhhhh....that's right he probably was afraid of what folks would think about him, my dear friend Finley be yourself and never worry about things like that because life is to short.

Old 03-08-2009, 09:48 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe D.

forget the noise....

the brooklyn just came out of barry!

Old 03-08-2009, 09:57 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Marty Ogelvie

Barry,

Remind me to never pizz you off!

scarybaseball.jpg

marty
Old 03-08-2009, 09:59 AM
Administrator

Posted By: CoreyRSh.anus

Marshall as you leave us here's one thought you might reflect on --

The people really worth respecting are those who walk the walk without talking the talk.

Old 03-08-2009, 10:05 AM
Administrator

Posted By: J Levine

Corey,
I have been trying to tell him that for weeks...he does not listen.

By the way, I thought it was against the rules to post emails on the board.

I also really really really find it disgusting to be compared to a Nazi.

Yuck,

Joshua

Old 03-08-2009, 10:08 AM
Administrator

He didn't post the contact part of the email and I figured it was a last post so let it go. I am pretty well sick of babysitting.....Can't we just talk about cards again, please?

Old 03-08-2009, 10:12 AM
Administrator

Alright, I've calmed down and it does appear Marshall will be leaving us. If I may posit a final thought to Marshall, everyone here is free to express their opinion, and this is not a "Nazi" (check your spelling) boot camp as you suggest. We're just all tired of you insulting everyone and drawing so much attention to yourself. It's not the Marshall Barkman Show but the Net54 VBBC board. You seem to be happiest when it's all about you. When you express good opinions people will listen and respond. But they will not respond to all your rants about what you have accomplished. I've accomplished a lot of things too but I'm not coming on this forum to talk about them.

Frankly, I think you have some real unresolved issues but I'm not going to even go there right now. I would just like to see a little more respect for this board.

Old 03-08-2009, 10:14 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Richard Simon

Does this mean the attention starved Marshall is through? Leon, you left that question kind of up in the air. Don't know if this is part of the rules, but why not put it to a vote??
=

I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed opponent.
Unknown author
--
We made a promise. We swore we'd always remember.
No retreat baby, no surrender.
The Boss

Old 03-08-2009, 10:16 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve F

Marshall or whomever you are,

Why you are still here baffles. You try to instill fear and intimidate and in general disrespectful to this Board's integrity. You're fooling yourself to believe the VBC's a bunch of turnkey teenies with hip-hop on our ipods.

And I'm certain, you're witty at all those celebrity mixers -where the ETOH flows. But here, where we are sober, your posts are obnoxious and your conceit is confounding.

You're untrue to to us and to yourself, any fool can see your full of ****. Don't try to convince the Board you're 'different'. Perhaps you're an anomaly, but the people I've known in my fifty years that are connected/successful are humbled by it, not boastful bragarts. We know more about you than you will ever know. You fool noone.

You indicate your worldliness and experience. So why it hard to believe your disgraceful putdowns and narcisistic rants are ALWAYS a turn-off and inciteful to the membership?

What's seen is a nippy, little chihauha in a pitbull suit running around the floor gnashinmg at our shoes. In your twisted logic, you imagine simply owning a stellar memorabilia collection clinches acceptance in this group.

So again... Why are you here?, and try honesty for a change.

Leon, Those knowledgeable collectors, from the Pre-Noize era, just aren't posting or participating like before. It's no longer Easy Street and the tension is palpable. I miss those days, Don't you? Our ankles are chewed to the bone. Please fix this. Steve Falletti

Old 03-08-2009, 10:17 AM
Administrator

Thanks but no thanks....BTW, you rarely talk about vintage cards either so you might reflect on that a little bit before you go to voting. Marshall has at least talked about cards sometimes. Have you?

Old 03-08-2009, 10:17 AM
Administrator

Leon,

I am truly sorry...I think I have added a lot to the forum...The friends I have made here are important to me and I tend to feel offended when they are attacked. The teacher in me wants to educate and help. I, like John, will not longer post to Marshall. I am done with him. Just for the record, I am not a big fan of banning someone, but I am a big fan of respect. That respect has to be earned. Leon (and Dan), you have my utmost respect for the knowledge you have about cards, the way you handle yourselves, your skills as moderator (a job I would never want), and the general respect you give others. Thank you so much and like I said...time to get back to cards....

Just noticed the 2009 SCD lists the variations that I discovered a couple of years ago...here they are side by side for comparison.
Anybody seen any of these lately?

Joshua

[linked image] [linked image]

edited scan size

Old 03-08-2009, 10:24 AM
Administrator

What i find disgusting is that a guy from Brooklyn acts like he is from Martha's Vineyard. People in Brooklyn do not constantly whine about rules,scans,prices,auctions,cussing and so on because whining is not allowed, just ask Andrew Dice Clay now he is true Brooklyn and he also did not allow people to tell him how to speak or act.

Mr.Corey read your own post because that is exactly what you are talk. I have accomplished everything i wanted to do in my life except for one thing and that is win a PGA tour event before my father's death but i can live with that because i have not given up.

I did walk on with 0 help from school or teachers or even having played on a high school golf team and recieved a full golf scholarship to Florida International which was not easy and might i add i never once failed to qualify for a tournament. I also have met,played with and recorded with some of the most musically talented individuals the world has to offer, i never once took a guitar lesson or drum lesson.

Somehwere in the near future i will just show up with no announcement for a Nationwide or PGA Tour event and trust me my peers and friends on tour know i have major league talent and i get along with all the chaps. In fact i will not mention names but most guys want to talk about music and rock-n-roll when we are in the workout van or putting green because for whatever reason guys just love rock-n-roll stories.

Edit....what i notice is when i defend myself or answer questions then it gets turned around like i am bragging or seeking attention. A guy says you do not own cards, you are a liar, you don't even have a collection. I write back well my cards sold for 37,000 at auction and people say .....oh....he is bragging....what a attention seeker......no one states outside of Leon the truth which is all i am doing is responding.

The real truth is that if you go back to my original PSA grading thread you will see that i was merely posting a thought on a baseball card message board, when the mudslinging started a fired back......and whoaaaaaaaaaaaa........folks were in a state of shock. How dare he come in here and insult me after i insulteed him. Doesn't he understand that i can be critical but he has to keep his mouth shut.

Also for all the folks on here that are so highly intelligent and great researchers the tour i played on in 2006 has not had a tournament since then, it has been sold and there are lawsuits abounding everywhere in regards to financial matters, the parent compnay Greensworldwide is who owned the Us Pro golf tour. Even though i am a card carrying member not once have i threatened the tour with a lawsuit or posted anything negative about them nor will i ever.

Old 03-08-2009, 10:25 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Richard Simon

Leon - I don't really collect many vintage cards, other than NY Giants, but I have contributed information and pictures to the memorabilia board. I apologize if my suggestion of voting was not proper.

==

I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed opponent.

Unknown author

--

We made a promise. We swore we'd always remember.

No retreat baby, no surrender.

The Boss

Old 03-08-2009, 10:27 AM
Administrator

Marshall - there are four million people in Brooklyn, so you can't generalize about them. And that's pretty classy insulting Corey Shanus...if you knew how successful he has been in his life, and if you knew the kind of collection he has (and tells nobody about it) you would take back what you said.

Old 03-08-2009, 10:34 AM
Administrator

You have contributed a lot and I appreciate your posts. That being said I hate being put in the position of having a vote to ban someone. I don't think that is right. I can't stand banning people and even a few that have been banned could come back if they wanted too (and have come back on the BST pages). Only 1 person will never be welcomed back and actually he should really hope we never meet. I am quite sure that in a day or less we will be back to talking about what this forum is best for. I won't even let this thread go on a lot longer. No real good can come of it. Once again, I don't like this position I am in, but don't really have a choice so I will just do the best I can. I have strong beliefs about allowing non-anonymous folks to say mostly what they want to and that belief system gets in the way of my taking quicker action. Good or bad that is the way I am. I count hundreds of board members as friends and hope that # will increase. I love collecting and the hobby. take care

Old 03-08-2009, 10:40 AM
Administrator

My life does not revolve around cards alone Barry and just because someone has cards does not mean they have class, it was pretty classy what he said also. People with class would not even post. Now Jim Crandall has class so it does not suprise me there is no post from him in regards to this matter.

Old 03-08-2009, 10:49 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Don

Animadvertistine, ubicumque stes, fumum recta in faciem ferri?

Old 03-08-2009, 11:00 AM
Administrator

"who hovers over the group in his flying saucer chocolate eclair."

LMAO

Steve

Old 03-08-2009, 11:02 AM
Administrator

Posted By: John V

Leon,
Thanks for the great job you do as moderator. You're very fair and quite patient. I find these far-off-topic posts a detriment to the purpose of the board. I recommend that you crack open an extra box of Net 54 locks. As moderator, I urge you to use them quickly and without discussion or courtesy warnings.
John

Old 03-08-2009, 11:02 AM
Administrator

Quinon proficit deficit

Old 03-08-2009, 11:03 AM
Administrator

Why doesn't someone simply say:

Futue te et ipsum caballum

Old 03-08-2009, 11:21 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

Is it OK to curse in Latin LOL.

Old 03-08-2009, 11:24 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Al C.risafulli

Addo sonitus.

-Al

Old 03-08-2009, 11:27 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Don

"Addo sonitus."

LOL

Old 03-08-2009, 11:28 AM
Administrator

Posted By: boxingcardman

The tribe has spoken and he IS the biggest loser...

Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc

Old 03-08-2009, 11:29 AM
Administrator

a nippy, little chihauha in a pitbull suit running around the floor gnashinmg at our shoes.

...and peeing on the carpet!

Old 03-08-2009, 11:31 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob

I've steered clear of this whole diatribe but when someone attacks Wonka and Barry, two of the most considerate guys on this board, I have to bristle. My own personal feeling, for what it's worth, is that this world could use a whole lot more Wonkas and Barrys in it.

Old 03-08-2009, 11:36 AM
Administrator

Not too many Barrys, I hope. happy.gif

Old 03-08-2009, 11:38 AM
Administrator

Since this stupid thread is already at the top I will let some folks know what I have to think about when I (and/or the other moderators) make a decision to ban someone.

Is that person a known person? If no, then banning is easy.

Will that person stop when asked? If no, then banning is fairly easy.

Does that person START the negativity?

Does that person ever contribute positively to the forum?

Does that person conform to community standards? (I am somewhat of a non-conformist so this is meant in a way to not restrict, as much as possible)
Does that person incite arguments not conducive to the welfare of the community?

There are many other things to consider too, imo, but those are the main ones. Any of them can have greater weight than another in a specific situation.

This thread will probably be locked soon, but when I do that there is ALWAYS someone(s) that say they really NEEDED to get THEIR last words in. Then they ask if they can start another thread, and if I say yes or no, it sucks.

All in all if we are talking about vintage baseball cards and the history of them and the players, we will be in good shape. (utopia-esque)...best regards

Old 03-08-2009, 11:39 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Frank Wakefield

I agree with John V above, and TBob immediately above.

Bring on the silence...

Old 03-08-2009, 11:48 AM
Administrator

Posted By: JimB

Yawn.... and good riddance.
JimB

Old 03-08-2009, 12:02 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mark Evans

There was a brief period when it seemed that Marshall had toned down the noise a bit. At that point, I thought he could well be a valuable contributor to the Board, even with his over-the-top, manic delivery...a colorful character. But then the original Marshall re-appeared with a vengeance. True he was at times provoked, but overall just too much bragging, insulting, sexism and generally obnoxious behavior.

By the way, I will say I admire his golfing skills. Having taken up the game a few years ago upon retirement, I find it deceptively difficult (after all, the ball IS sitting still when you hit it), even for those of us who believe we have halfway decent hand-eye coordination.

As for the techo-rock, or whatever it's called, I can't speak to that except to say it doesn't appear on any Thelonious Monk cd's.

Mark

Old 03-08-2009, 12:16 PM
Administrator

Mark the trick is a simple one, keep
your head down.

Steve

Old 03-08-2009, 12:17 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Ken McMillan

Apparently after further research, he is not currently on the PGA tour. Last event is listed in 2006. Also didn't see him at the accenture played in my neighborhood. Can you say blowhard????

Old 03-08-2009, 12:40 PM
Administrator

Perhaps his game suffered from dallying too much with naked maids and models.

Old 03-08-2009, 01:01 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rhett Yeakley

I pretty much agree with what Mark just stated in regards to Marshall. When he first came on here he really rubbed me (and many others) the wrong way, but he seemed to tone it down a bit and for a while he seemed to at least be trying to be a part of the collective (in his own way). However, he does seem to have temper issues, and when he gets upset all hell seems to break loose... which is what we had here of late.

I agree that I don't think he needs to be totally banned, maybe just a little hiatus. When/If he can play nice he should be allowed to return, while he doesn't seem to actually collect the cards anymore, he does have interest in them, and that is what this board is all about. Anyways, that is just one mans opinion.

He would kick my butt in Golf though!

-Rhett

Old 03-08-2009, 01:13 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Frank L.

Marshall

What year did you go to FIU? I did my undergrad there from 1981 to 1986? Boy has the place changed. Used to be a small sleepy little campus. They just got a Medical School of all things.

Frank L.