NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 05-10-2024, 03:18 PM
Emlily Ell.is

Default How does a mark affect a card's grade?

I'm just now getting into graded vintage, and my LCS has a 1955 Topps Kaline that looks awesome. In fact, I asked them to take it out of the case so I could get a look at it. I was hoping to buy it with intent to grade. However, upon inspection, it's got the letter "Y" written on the front in ink. The card overall would probably grade a 6 if not for that mark.

So how does a mark affect the grade? Will it knock all the way down to like a 1-2 even though the rest of the card looks good? Will it only knock it down a point or 2? If it gets, say, a 6 grade but with an MK designation, does that mean it's really a 4? Just trying to figure out of I want to buy the card and sub it. It's really, really sharp. So just curious.

I have done deals with: snowman, exhibitman, roquan, vintagetoppscards, bobsbbcards, sayitaintso, tsp06, gorditadogg, 4reals, bnorth, clydepepper, jcfowler6, jimmer77, tsp06, Bartholomew_Bump_Bailey, swk473 plus others.
Old 05-10-2024, 05:09 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

228. Twoplicity
The suppositional rule of thumb that a card with a qualifier should have a monetary/trade value equal to a straight graded card two whole numbers lower.

• The supposed two point drop in grade for a qualifier emanated from the PSA Registry, where a PSA 6 MK would only count as a PSA 4. It's become a rule of thumb, but many of us don't ascribe to that particular theory, and put more consideration into the overall eye appeal (i.e., is the off-centering minor, or is the mark not too blatant?) to determine its value.

• With PSA it is pretty straight forward. If they say a card deserves a grade of X and it has a mark, the result will be a PSA X MK. With other TPGs, it is not so easy to pinpoint what a mark will do to the number grade, or how low it will drive it.

• On a side note (and it's nothing personal, as I'm talking about each and every collector), no one is ever right about the grade they say a card will get, so if you're thinking the 1955 Topps Kaline should be a 6 (sans mark), you should definitely act like it will come back a 4 or 5 to protect yourself, and make an offer to the owner accordingly.

Good luck!!

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 05-10-2024, 07:38 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

The mark type also matters. If it is in pencil or ball point pen and that caused a ridge to form on the cardboard, consider the highest grade it would get to be a VG-EX 4(MK). If it's in Sharpie or Marker and did not damage the surface, then it would get higher based on the look of the card without the mark.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old Yesterday, 05:21 PM
Gary

I can offer a recent example from my own experience.

I sent a 1960T Maris to SGC. It had writing on the back where a previous owner wrote their initials in pen. I thought it was a 6 if not for the mark. SGC knocked it down to a 2.

I recently sold it. You can see the listing here: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/276378146537
Old Yesterday, 05:53 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

SGC, without qualifiers, will normally drop any card with writing or even miscut down to the 1.5-2 area, so that's what I would have expected if I tried SGC.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old Yesterday, 06:08 PM
Lüc@s Dëwėãšę

Here is my 48 Bowman Red Schoendienst. Looks superb but has a small pen strike on the back. I would say it lost 2-3 grades because of it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg a1a3aa5e-060c-49cd-a7aa-7844e32c8c47 (1).jpg (112.8 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg a1a3aa5e-060c-49cd-a7aa-7844e32c8c47.jpg (88.6 KB, 53 views)

My Baseball Snapshot Photo collection- https://imageevent.com/lucas00/snapshotcollection

Original Type 1/Press photos etc for sale- https://imageevent.com/lucas00/photosforsale
Old Today, 07:25 AM
J@son Per1

There’s no set rule on grading penalization when it comes to marks. It really depends on the mark itself. I had a 54 Hodges PSA 4 MK. The mark was a pen dot in back and the card sold basically for what a PSA 4 no mark would sell for.

An otherwise mint card with scribbles on the front will grade a 1 as far as I know but more importantly nobody is likely to pay more than “1 money” for it.

I own a PSA 3MK diamond stars Rick Ferrell. Because it has MK the guy sold it to me for the price of a 1.5 or so. The MK is some light staining on back I think. It’s really a nice 3.
Old Today, 07:39 AM
J@son Per1

Here it is. All that stuff around Rick's collar isn't actually a mark, even though it looks like it could be made by a pen. I believe the MK is due to the staining on the back. Which is kind of ridiculous because if that was worthy of a mark then half the bowman cards made between 1951 and 1955 should have "MK." When it comes to the MK qualifier in particular, not all marks are created equal and the graders will often be confused as to what to do, but ultimately the market will decide how much the mark matters to the pricing. Obviously a high grade with a MK will tend to take the biggest hit in pricing because people aren't as likely to spend top dollar for a card with MK. But there are probably exceptions even to that....