NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-12-2015, 07:19 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Default Golden and Goodwin

Like their catalogs. A nice simple description as to what the item is. Not line after line after paragraph with overheated hyperbole about how you've stumbled upon the most magical rare unicorn that has ever been spotted. With some of these guys you can hear the thesaurus flipping furiously in the background. Kind of ridiculous, as I am sure 99% of their audience is very well informed.
Old 12-12-2015, 07:51 PM
Robert Williams

I'm confused. Goodwin is one of the main storytellers on describing cards. Sometimes I feel as though I'm reading a short story when looking at one of his cards.
Old 12-12-2015, 07:54 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Maybe. Messed that one up. Was just looking at some old auction results. Maybe they pare them back after the auction.
Old 12-12-2015, 09:27 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 View Post
I'm confused. Goodwin is one of the main storytellers on describing cards. Sometimes I feel as though I'm reading a short story when looking at one of his cards.
you actually read those?
Old 12-13-2015, 06:59 AM
D@vid Fel@

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
Like their catalogs. A nice simple description as to what the item is. Not line after line after paragraph with overheated hyperbole about how you've stumbled upon the most magical rare unicorn that has ever been spotted. With some of these guys you can hear the thesaurus flipping furiously in the background. Kind of ridiculous, as I am sure 99% of their audience is very well informed.

Where in the simple description below does it describe why the card graded authentic?

If the 1952 Topps Mickey Mantle is the post WWII “Holy Grail”, then the 1951 Bowman Mantle rookie must be considered the “Mona Lisa”. For whatever reason, the Mantle Topps rookie soared to utmost popularity during the height of the card market explosion. Yet, what many people forget is that the “TRUE” Mantle rookie card is his 1951 Bowman issue. Mickey Mantle’s Bowman rookie card is one of the cornerstone of card collecting, and in PSA’s “Top 250 Sportscards” publication, is listed as the 8th best card in the hobby! However Mantle’s mystique was established, no one will argue that his Bowman rookie image, with his #6 uniform number, will forever be embedded in hobby folklore, and is one of the few post WWII cards that surpasses most of the high-end pre-WWII cards. The ‘Mick’s” lifetime batting statistics, while impressive, were not overwhelming. Yet, his unquestionable power, long tape measure home runs and overall love for the game and fans add to the legacy of this card. He was Goliath, Davey Crockett, John Wayne and Joe DiMaggio all rolled up into one super icon, the ultimate embodiment of a National hero.
Old 12-13-2015, 07:47 AM
Ken Goldin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
Thanks you
And it's GOLDIN Auctions. I not E
Old 12-13-2015, 08:58 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
you actually read those?
It the same as actually reading why a seller wants to sell cards in a bin listing 'pay medical bills, or taxes' yet the listing keeps being relisted week after week! If they don't have to sell the cards for the highest offer they get no matter what is by a certain date then why bother giving a reason why they have to sell the cards..

Last edited by 1952boyntoncollector; 12-13-2015 at 09:00 AM.
Old 12-13-2015, 01:38 PM
Bill T.

Quote:
you actually read those?
The way I look at it, the long paragraphs just give them more chances to use words incorrectly, make typos and grammatical errors, and bollix up the layout. It sets my editor teeth on edge, but after a while it's like a bad wreck: horrible but you can't look away.

Bill Todd, editor extraordinaire
Old 12-13-2015, 01:40 PM
Jeff

Oh, you can look away, easily.

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."
Old 12-13-2015, 03:58 PM
Sam Sw@rtz

Generally speaking, I presume that most auction participants would not need to be reminded that Ty Cobb or Mickey Mantle, for example, were actually skilled ballplayers, so I don't know why the descriptions wax poetically about HOF stats. I do see value, however, with describing the provenance of more rare issues, as Heritage did with Leon's collection.

Additionally, I tend to call BS when every single description claims that at least one facet of the card is "worthy of a higher grade." Just ONCE, I'd love to read a description that says something like, "Generously graded a PSA 5 by PSA, the rounded corners and 65/35 centering appear worthy of a VG/EX assessment."
Old 12-13-2015, 05:47 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Yes, I've noticed that everything is always graded very tough, and it's face appeal is always much higher than the stated grade. De rigueur.

But again, why wax poetic about what a good hitter Ty Cobb is, or how unfair Satchel Paige was treated, or talk about the historic importance of Jackie Robinson outside baseball. Not exactly breaking news.
Old 12-13-2015, 06:22 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanicalman View Post
Generally speaking, I presume that most auction participants would not need to be reminded that Ty Cobb or Mickey Mantle, for example, were actually skilled ballplayers, so I don't know why the descriptions wax poetically about HOF stats. I do see value, however, with describing the provenance of more rare issues, as Heritage did with Leon's collection.

Additionally, I tend to call BS when every single description claims that at least one facet of the card is "worthy of a higher grade." Just ONCE, I'd love to read a description that says something like, "Generously graded a PSA 5 by PSA, the rounded corners and 65/35 centering appear worthy of a VG/EX assessment."
I've seen REA do that occasionally. I imagine his consignors either OKd it or were not terribly happy about it.
Old 12-13-2015, 06:39 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

Quote:

you forget 'candidate for a bump' and when emailing offers you get back from the seller 'I may send in the card to psa myself' just send it in already..

or when really poor condition card, 'aside from the hole at the top and the crease down the middle tremendous eye appeal for the grade'

Last edited by 1952boyntoncollector; 12-13-2015 at 06:40 PM.
Old 12-13-2015, 09:05 PM
Robert Williams

Quote:

I believe Rob Lifson does what you suggest. Go back and check through his auctions. I did it on one of my cards, but it was exactly one. SGC definitely missed the ball on something one time, and I had to make note of it. The buyers saw it in the scan anyway, so why lie?
Old 12-13-2015, 09:29 PM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
Agreed. Same with the history of well known cards, like the story about how cases of 52 Topps high numbers were dumped in the ocean.
Old 12-16-2015, 03:54 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

For auctions in general, Sometimes I read the descriptions and they can be entertaining. Most times I look at the card and try to get to the (hopeful) part of a description that tells about the card just in case there is something which can't be seen from a scan. I was looking at a beautiful SGC 30 something or another a day or two ago and had to look hard to see the wrinkle, but it was there. Had it been a higher grade I might not have looked so hard for a problem with it.
Old 12-16-2015, 04:12 PM
Larry

Quote:
I've seen REA do that occasionally. I imagine his consignors either OKd it or were not terribly happy about it.
I believe that Rob Lifson has stated that if he feels the card is over-graded, REA will not accept it unless the seller agrees to his assessment of the card in that respect being included in the description.

Best Holiday wishes,

Larry

Last edited by ls7plus; 12-16-2015 at 04:13 PM.