NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 09-25-2021, 07:12 AM
Bill H@e1ig

My youngest son started playing the saxophone in elementary school and one of his first public performances of the National Anthem was at the 2004 Ripken World Series (Aberdeen, MD) at age 13 and one of his goal was to someday perform it at Camden Yards....

Well that goal was reached this past Thursday evening...He nailed it and has already been asked to come back in '22 (hopefully in front of a larger crowd):

Last edited by roarfrom34; 09-25-2021 at 07:47 AM.
Old 09-25-2021, 08:29 AM
Clint

That’s awesome Bill, congrats to you both!
Old 09-25-2021, 10:14 AM
Alan Strout

Bill,

What a great moment. Congrats to Matt.
Old 09-25-2021, 01:47 PM
M@rk Comer

Bill,

That’s awesome!
Old 09-25-2021, 04:01 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Frickin' awesome!!!!! (Although they forget the "OF" before "OUR" in the scoreboard caption.)

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 09-26-2021, 07:21 AM

Default playing at camden yards

wow. proud father moment for sure...congratulations.
Old 09-26-2021, 07:57 AM

Default 1970 Hearst All Star Game Wooden Plaque

Good monring, everyone. I recently found this item and thought it was too cool to pass up on. When I found it, I was not aware of the history or purpose of the annual all star games. My research is limited but found a few hits on google. The most helpful article was from SABR. The SABR article talks about the annual games in NYC. So...my research is a bit limited but the Hearst Sandlot Classic for 20 years offered a showcase for young baseball talent. Many of those who participated signed professional contracts and others were able to obtain scholarships to further their education. Hearst News Papers around the country sponsored the games. The Hearst family owned the Baltimore News Post. The NYC All Stars played a game annually against All Stars from the rest of the country. They played in different venues. Apparently the Orioles hosted a game for 11 years. The game in Baltimore at Memorial Stadium in 1970 appears to be the last. The plaque is wood and has two spots in white (either side of the bird) that were changed annually with the number of the game being played (11th) and a name of a person that must have hosted the game (John Gilmore; I beieve he was a former executive with WBAL in Baltimore but could be mistaken). The game was played at Memorial Stadium I believe in August of 1970. This particular game has an article written about it on July 26, 1970 by the Cumberland Times. It is in an archive you can subscribe to. Anyway, i thought it was an interesting item that will probably resonate with some of you. Please let us know if you have any details to share. Have a great Sunday.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hearst Orioleland Plaque.jpg (81.2 KB, 246 views)
Old 09-28-2021, 07:38 AM
Bill H@e1ig

I realize I posted this a year ago, but today (unbelievably) marks the 10 year anniversary of "Game 162."

I generally don't go to weeknight games due to the driving distance, but I had a rain check that I had to use or lose so I called my son the night before & asked him if he wanted to go to the last game of the season...Fortunately, he agreed and one of our Baltimore area friends met us there...

There was a long rain delay (86 minutes to be exact) and when they resumed play the Orioles said you could sit anywhere you wanted & fortunately we chose seats in left field probably 100 feet or so from the Red Soxs' Carl Crawford (who was unable to handle Robert Andino's game winning liner)...I'll never forget watching the Orioles players celebrate & Papelbon and the rest of the Sox players walking off the field when the Jumbo Tron suddenly switched to the action in St. Pete & showing Longoria hitting his walk off HR thus eliminating Boston from the post season...

The only thing I can compare it to was like New Years Eve as we left Camden Yards that night 'high fiving' everyone (including the on duty cops) and headed over to Sliders (our favorite bar outside the park) who was serving free Natty Bohs...Needless to say I didn't get home until 4:30 AM..

I keep score at all the games I attend, so here is my scorecard which over the years I've had signed on the cover by all the key participants of that ninth inning (Reimold, Davis, Kyle Hudson & of course Robert Andino):

Old 09-30-2021, 02:35 PM
Ian H@ll

Quote:
Originally Posted by roarfrom34 View Post
I realize I posted this a year ago, but today (unbelievably) marks the 10 year anniversary of "Game 162."

I generally don't go to weeknight games due to the driving distance, but I had a rain check that I had to use or lose so I called my son the night before & asked him if he wanted to go to the last game of the season...Fortunately, he agreed and one of our Baltimore area friends met us there...

There was a long rain delay (86 minutes to be exact) and when they resumed play the Orioles said you could sit anywhere you wanted & fortunately we chose seats in left field probably 100 feet or so from the Red Soxs' Carl Crawford (who was unable to handle Robert Andino's game winning liner)...I'll never forget watching the Orioles players celebrate & Papelbon and the rest of the Sox players walking off the field when the Jumbo Tron suddenly switched to the action in St. Pete & showing Longoria hitting his walk off HR thus eliminating Boston from the post season...

The only thing I can compare it to was like New Years Eve as we left Camden Yards that night 'high fiving' everyone (including the on duty cops) and headed over to Sliders (our favorite bar outside the park) who was serving free Natty Bohs...Needless to say I didn't get home until 4:30 AM..

I keep score at all the games I attend, so here is my scorecard which over the years I've had signed on the cover by all the key participants of that ninth inning (Reimold, Davis, Kyle Hudson & of course Robert Andino):
Such a great memory, and it's awesome that you have the scorecard from the game.

I was at the game as well. Went on a whim with my wife's cousin. We left during the rain delay, as I had to be at work at 5:00am! The timing worked out perfectly though, as I got home in time to see the crazy endings.

12:05am Andino's hit to win it!
12:08am Longoria's HR to send Tampa to the playoffs and Boston home!
12:36am St. Louis clinched their spot as well.

One of my favorite baseball memories for sure!
Sold to: Sean1125, sayitaintso, IgnatiusJReilly, hockeyhockey, mocean, wondo, Casey2296, Belfast1933, Yoda, Peter_Spaeth, hxcmilkshake, kaddyshack, OhioCardCollector, Gorditadogg, Jay Wolt, ClementeFanOh, JollyElm, EddieZ, 4reals, uyu906
Old 10-02-2021, 06:15 AM
Mike Magee

Default 1972-1974 Orioles Ephemera

Good morning,

I recently picked up Orioles items from someone from South Dakota who was in contact with the Orioles from between 1972-1974. There were very nice condition schedules, bumper stickers, a Bobby Grich postcard, and various paper items. The most interesting to me was a pamphlet advertising the 1st Annual Orioles Art Contest, sponsored by Equitable Trust. There was also a form letter with facsimile autographs of the Orioles at the time, including Brooks. Not pictured are the many Orioles newsletters from between 1972-74. All of this came in one of the original mailing envelopes from the Orioles.

72 to 74 Lot.jpg

Annual Art Show- Front.jpg

Annual Art Show- Back.jpg

Envelope.jpg
Old 10-02-2021, 07:29 AM
Bill H@e1ig

Mike

I love that '74 Bumper Sticker! Looks like you got some other neat items as well...

Here is a used Louisville Slugger bat from the 1977-79 labeling period issued to the AA Charlotte Orioles (Alan would you know what players wore #11 during that time period?):

Old 10-02-2021, 08:18 AM
Mike Magee

Quote:
Mike

I love that '74 Bumper Sticker! Looks like you got some other neat items as well...

Here is a used Louisville Slugger bat from the 1977-79 labeling period issued to the AA Charlotte Orioles (Alan would you know what players wore #11 during that time period?):

Thank you Bill and congrats to your son!
Old 10-02-2021, 11:12 AM
M@rk Comer

Mike,

I’ll second that on the bumper sticker; never seen that particular one and “really” like that it contains the year.

Nice pickup…

Bill,

Love the bat!!
Old 10-03-2021, 02:57 PM

Default RIPFAN Recent post with 74 Sticker

Hi. I have been putting together a collection of vintage Orioles stickers. The 1974 one looks great. I will show my collection soon. They are fun to look for and find. Bring back a lot of memories. Thanks for showing.
Old 10-03-2021, 03:00 PM

Default Brooks Game Used

Anyone else collect Brooks game used items? I have a couple bats. Looking for his helmet (I know...good luck), a jersey (I know...expensive) and a hat. A boy can dream. Here is a mid 60s bat and his last year bat. Both game used and signed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Brooks game used bats.jpg (19.8 KB, 190 views)
Old 10-03-2021, 04:38 PM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chstrite View Post
Anyone else collect Brooks game used items? I have a couple bats. Looking for his helmet (I know...good luck), a jersey (I know...expensive) and a hat. A boy can dream. Here is a mid 60s bat and his last year bat. Both game used and signed.
Charlie,

As you know “I kinda do” collect Brooks GU, but just don’t have much. Those items your looking for are definitely out there. I believe I mentioned this, but just be aware of fakes on the jerseys. I know people can fake the caps and bats as well, but have seen several non GU jerseys in my time collecting.

Can you get some close up photos of the two bats? Hard to see in the pic attached.

I believe that Bill has a GU cap, but I’m sure he’s going to donate it to me one day…
Old 10-03-2021, 08:47 PM

Default Brooks Robinson GU Bat Pics

Hi, Mark. Additional pictures of the two Brooks' bats.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BR Bat 1.jpg (15.8 KB, 199 views)
File Type: jpg BR Bat 2.jpg (15.7 KB, 192 views)
File Type: jpg BR 3.jpg (10.4 KB, 191 views)
File Type: jpg BR 4.jpg (14.9 KB, 190 views)
File Type: jpg BR 5.jpg (15.9 KB, 197 views)
Old 10-04-2021, 05:28 AM
Bill H@e1ig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark70Z View Post
Charlie,

As you know “I kinda do” collect Brooks GU, but just don’t have much. Those items your looking for are definitely out there. I believe I mentioned this, but just be aware of fakes on the jerseys. I know people can fake the caps and bats as well, but have seen several non GU jerseys in my time collecting.

I believe that Bill has a GU cap, but I’m sure he’s going to donate it to me one day…
Mark...

You mean this hat ?

Old 10-04-2021, 06:22 AM

Default Brooks hat

That hat is a beauty! I will trade you a bat for a hat! 😃
Old 10-04-2021, 12:15 PM
Mike Magee

Default 1966 Junior Baseball Federation Program

Good afternoon,

Last year Mark posted some broadsides from a couple of times the Orioles played the Phillies in the Junior Baseball Federation charity game. I recently found a program from the 1966 game that also featured the O's. There's a nice photo of the 1966 team and some photos of Brooks and Frank.

1966 Junior Baseball Federation Program.jpg

1966 Junior Baseball Federation O's team.jpg

1966 Junior Baseball Federation Brooks.jpg

1966 Junior Baseball Federation Franks.jpg
Old 10-04-2021, 04:09 PM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
Mark...

You mean this hat ?

Bill,

Yes; that’s the one… You have my address, right?!? 😳
Old 10-04-2021, 05:36 PM

Default Brooks hat

Mark, if you get that hat in his will, I have a Disc I will trade you.
Old 10-04-2021, 06:18 PM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
Mark, if you get that hat in his will, I have a Disc I will trade you.
You’d have a deal…😍
Old 10-04-2021, 06:22 PM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripfan008 View Post
Good afternoon,

Last year Mark posted some broadsides from a couple of times the Orioles played the Phillies in the Junior Baseball Federation charity game. I recently found a program from the 1966 game that also featured the O's. There's a nice photo of the 1966 team and some photos of Brooks and Frank.
Mike,

Very cool program. I think Alan may have examples of when the Orioles played in this exhibition game as well. I tried to start a spreadsheet of all the games, dates and who the Phillies played, but I didn’t get very far. I really need one of those subscriptions to the newspapers and do a search that way. I really was just looking for the years they played the O’s, but got carried away.
Old 10-05-2021, 07:58 PM
Bill H@e1ig

I was sorry to learn this evening of the passing of Eddie Robinson who was MLB's oldest living player at the age of 100.

Eddie played 13 seasons with seven different clubs including a handful of games for the Orioles late in the 1957 season (and later coached and scouted for them).

He also owned a restaurant with Brooks Robinson near Memorial Stadium (Gorsuch House).....

About 10 years ago I had the pleasure of meeting him in Horsham (PA) at an event organized by the Philadelphia A's Historical Society & they produced a special Hartland statue of him for the occasion (which I had signed).

RIP Eddie

Last edited by roarfrom34; 10-05-2021 at 08:02 PM.
Old 10-06-2021, 05:28 AM
Mike Magee

Good morning Bill,

I was also very sorry to hear of Mr. Robinson's passing. My wife is from Detroit and is a Tigers fan and Mr. Robinson was kind enough to sign a 1957 Topps card to her.

The Philadelphia A's Historical Society unfortunately closed a couple of years after that event, before I had an opportunity to visit.

That Hartland Eddie Robinson is a great piece.
Old 10-06-2021, 06:17 AM
Bill H@e1ig

Today marks the 30th anniversary of the last Orioles game at Memorial Stadium. For anyone that was there, I'm sure you could agree it was an unforgettable, emotional Fall afternoon.

Ironically, the last outs of the game came when (somewhat fittingly) Cal Ripken Jr. bounced into a double play off Frank Tanana of the Tigers....

Signed 16x20 of that last play:

Old 10-06-2021, 02:56 PM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
I was sorry to learn this evening of the passing of Eddie Robinson who was MLB's oldest living player at the age of 100.

Eddie played 13 seasons with seven different clubs including a handful of games for the Orioles late in the 1957 season (and later coached and scouted for them).

He also owned a restaurant with Brooks Robinson near Memorial Stadium (Gorsuch House).....

About 10 years ago I had the pleasure of meeting him in Horsham (PA) at an event organized by the Philadelphia A's Historical Society & they produced a special Hartland statue of him for the occasion (which I had signed).

RIP Eddie

Bill,

I didn’t hear about his passing till your note. Thanks for informing; we’re losing so many of the O’s of the past.
Old 10-07-2021, 09:53 AM
Alan Strout

Hi guys,

I just arrived in Sarasota for the winter, so I was off the grind for a few days and getting caught up on some of the posts.

Anyone traveling in the Sarasota area, give me a shout. Would love to meet other O's fans. If you can find Ed Smith Stadium, you're close...

Quote:
Bill,

Here's what I found from my programs.

1977 Charlotte Orioles #11 - Jim Skaalen 1B
1978 Charlotte Orioles - No roster sheet
1979 Charlotte Orioles #11 - Jose Alvarez Coach

Quote:
RIP Eddie

195759 Postcards 14 - Copy.JPG

Quote:
Today marks the 30th anniversary of the last Orioles game at Memorial Stadium. For anyone that was there, I'm sure you could agree it was an unforgettable, emotional Fall afternoon.
The Orioles issued two different program covers for the final weekend at Memorial Stadium (Final Weekend & Final Game versions)

1991 Program #6.jpg 1991 Program #7.jpg

Quote:
Very cool program. I think Alan may have examples of when the Orioles played in this exhibition game as well. I tried to start a spreadsheet of all the games, dates and who the Phillies played, but I didn’t get very far. I really need one of those subscriptions to the newspapers and do a search that way. I really was just looking for the years they played the O’s, but got carried away.
Mark,

From my research, the Junior BB Federation game started in 1948. From 1948-1954, the Phillies played their crosstown rivals, the Philadelphia A's. No info on the opponents from 1955-1963. I know the Orioles played the Junior BB Federation game from 1964-1966 and 1970-1972. I'm guessing the Orioles might have played before 1964 and in 1967-1969, but haven't found anything to confirm that. From 1973-1979, the Phillies played a variety of NL teams. 1973 (Reds), 1974 (Mets), 1975 (Cards), 1976 (Braves), 1977 (Expos), 1978 (Cards) and 1979 (Pirates).

Here's the 1964, 1965 and 1972 programs. I also have the 1966 program, but still looking for the 1970, 1971 programs and any other years the Orioles were involved.

1964 Junior Baseball Federation (Philadelphia).jpg 1965 Junior Baseball Federation (Philadelphia).jpg 1972 Junior Baseball Federation (Philadelphia).jpg
Old 10-09-2021, 03:17 PM

Default Orioles Programs

Hi. Wanting to buy Orioles Programs. Prefer in very nice condition. I have 1954, 1966, 1969 and 1971. Need the rest between 1955-2019.
Old 10-09-2021, 03:31 PM
Rich

Default programs

Message sent.

Rich
Quote:
Hi. Wanting to buy Orioles Programs. Prefer in very nice condition. I have 1954, 1966, 1969 and 1971. Need the rest between 1955-2019.
Old 10-09-2021, 03:35 PM

Default Orioles Yearbooks - Want to Buy

Hi. I was a little sloppy. Meant to say Orioles Yearbooks. Wanting to buy Orioles Yearbooks. Prefer in very nice condition. I have 1954, 1966, 1969 and 1971. Need the rest between 1955-2019. I realize they did not produce on for several years.
Old 10-09-2021, 03:41 PM
Rich

Default yearbooks

I have quite a few duplicate yearbooks as I have been buying them recently to try to fill out my collection. I will send you a list of all the Orioles I yearbooks I have to sell via pm.

Thanks,
Rich

Quote:
Hi. I was a little sloppy. Meant to say Orioles Yearbooks. Wanting to buy Orioles Yearbooks. Prefer in very nice condition. I have 1954, 1966, 1969 and 1971. Need the rest between 1955-2019. I realize they did not produce on for several years.
Old 10-09-2021, 06:02 PM

Default Yearbooks

I replied. Very interested
Old 10-10-2021, 06:16 AM
M@rk Comer

[QUOTE=BaltOrioles;2151652]

Mark,

From my research, the Junior BB Federation game started in 1948. From 1948-1954, the Phillies played their crosstown rivals, the Philadelphia A's. No info on the opponents from 1955-1963. I know the Orioles played the Junior BB Federation game from 1964-1966 and 1970-1972. I'm guessing the Orioles might have played before 1964 and in 1967-1969, but haven't found anything to confirm that. From 1973-1979, the Phillies played a variety of NL teams. 1973 (Reds), 1974 (Mets), 1975 (Cards), 1976 (Braves), 1977 (Expos), 1978 (Cards) and 1979 (Pirates).

Here's the 1964, 1965 and 1972 programs. I also have the 1966 program, but still looking for the 1970, 1971 programs and any other years the Orioles were involved.

Alan,

Thanks so much! I updated my spreadsheet so now I have the actual dates for the games listed on your programs. If you happen to locate more please let me know.

I’m off on some of the years/dates currently on the spreadsheet especially from the 19th Annual going into the 20th Annual Jr. BB game unless they skipped 1967. It would be cool to have all the games and dates listed.

Does anyone have one of those newspaper subscriptions where you can search the newspapers? Figure the papers in PA would definitely have the dates and the team that played in the paper.
Old 10-10-2021, 06:19 AM
M@rk Comer

[QUOTE=Mark70Z;2152534]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaltOrioles View Post

Mark,

Alan,

Thanks so much! I updated my spreadsheet so now I have the actual dates for the games listed on your programs. If you happen to locate more please let me know.

I’m off on some of the years/dates currently on the spreadsheet especially from the 19th Annual going into the 20th Annual Jr. BB game unless they skipped 1967. It would be cool to have all the games and dates listed.

Does anyone have one of those newspaper subscriptions where you can search the newspapers? Figure the papers in PA would definitely have the dates and the team that played in the paper.
Forgot to mention the 24th Annual BB Fed game. Unsure of that one as well…
Old 10-10-2021, 08:50 AM
Alan Strout

Quote:
Alan,

Mark,

Here are the dates of the games that I know the Orioles participated.

July 27, 1964 (17th Annual Game)
July 14, 1965 (18th Annual Game)
July 13, 1966 (19th Annual Game)
June 8, 1970 (23rd Annual Game)
May 13, 1971 (24th Annual Game)
May 8, 1972 (25th Annual Game)

I don't think they skipped the 1967 game, but not sure who the Phillies played. My understanding is that 1979 was the last official game and after that the format changed.
Old 10-10-2021, 10:47 AM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaltOrioles View Post
Mark,

Here are the dates of the games that I know the Orioles participated.

July 27, 1964 (17th Annual Game)
July 14, 1965 (18th Annual Game)
July 13, 1966 (19th Annual Game)
June 8, 1970 (23rd Annual Game)
May 13, 1971 (24th Annual Game)
May 8, 1972 (25th Annual Game)

I don't think they skipped the 1967 game, but not sure who the Phillies played. My understanding is that 1979 was the last official game and after that the format changed.
I have the small broadside for the Monday, June 8th game, but states 22nd Annual Jr. Fed game, not the 23rd (believe it’s for ‘70). Do you have the program for this one?
Old 10-10-2021, 12:42 PM
Alan Strout

Quote:
I have the small broadside for the Monday, June 8th game, but states 22nd Annual Jr. Fed game, not the 23rd (believe it’s for ‘70). Do you have the program for this one?
Mark,

Interesting. I don't have the 1970 or 1971 programs, but do have the 1972 (posted earlier). The 1972 program says 25th Anniversary and not actually 25th Annual game like the others I have. So maybe you're right and a year was skipped.
Old 10-16-2021, 10:30 AM

Default Orioles Bumper and Miscellaneous Stickers

Morning! Anyone else collect Oriole Stickers? I have a few. Surprisingly, they are hard to find. Ebay has a lot of other stickers from the 1990s and later, but can't seem to find many from the 1970s. The local radio stations use to hand these out for free. Some of these are easier to place with a year than others. I am looking for any with the older Bird, particularly the Angry Bird from mid 1970s. Always looking for more if anyone has any laying around. Show your stickers if you have a cool vintage one not shown here.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Stickers Os 1.jpg (20.8 KB, 118 views)
File Type: jpg Stickers Os 2.jpg (39.9 KB, 117 views)
Old 10-16-2021, 01:24 PM
Bill H@e1ig

Quote:
Morning! Anyone else collect Oriole Stickers? I have a few. Surprisingly, they are hard to find. Ebay has a lot of other stickers from the 1990s and later, but can't seem to find many from the 1970s. The local radio stations use to hand these out for free. Some of these are easier to place with a year than others. I am looking for any with the older Bird, particularly the Angry Bird from mid 1970s. Always looking for more if anyone has any laying around. Show your stickers if you have a cool vintage one not shown here.
Great Bumper Sticker collection!

This one has always been my favorite:

Old 10-16-2021, 01:38 PM
Clint

Love it Bill!
Old 10-26-2021, 07:20 AM
Bill H@e1ig

The World Series which starts tonight doesn't really interest me much, however in scanning the rosters of both teams, I've decided to pull for the Braves, due to their third base coach Ron Washington.

"Wash" only played in 26 games for the 1987 Orioles (hitting a lusty .203) however he is best known to Orioles fans for replacing Cal Ripken Jr. defensively at shortstop in the bottom of the 8th inning during a blowout loss in Toronto that September.

Cal had played in a record 8,264 consecutive innings, which dated back to June 1982.

Even though the Blue Jays had also set a MLB record for most HR's in a game that evening (10), I wrote the Jays ticket office the following day asking if I could have a ticket to the game (explaining the reason why I wanted one) & they accommodated me by sending both a full ticket and game program (no charge).

A few years later I was able to acquire the jersey that Washington wore that game as well (I had the NOB restored as it had been removed).

I know I've posted these previously, but thought it was worth a repeat

Last edited by roarfrom34; 10-26-2021 at 10:51 AM.
Old 10-26-2021, 08:25 AM
Alan Strout

Quote:
The World Series which starts tonight doesn't really interest me much, however in scanning the rosters of both teams, I've decided to pull for the Braves, due to their third base coach Ron Washington.

"Wash" only played in 26 games for the 1987 Orioles (hitting a lusty .203) however he is best known to Orioles fans for replacing Cal Ripken Jr. defensively at shortstop in the bottom of the 8th inning during a blowout loss in Toronto that September.

Cal had played in a record 8,264 consecutive innings, which dated back to June 1982.
Bill,

I love the stories behind your collection. Playing only 26 games, still earned Ron a team issued postcard and 8x10 photo.

1987 Postcards 09 - Copy.jpg Washington, Ron 1 - Copy.jpg

On a side note, once the Red Sox are eliminated, I can enjoy watching the World Series.
Old 10-28-2021, 07:18 AM
Mike Magee

Default New SABR book on the O's

Good morning,

I just received my new SABR e-book about the Orioles and saw that Bill was a contributor.

Congrats Bill!
Old 10-28-2021, 02:59 PM
Bill H@e1ig

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripfan008 View Post
Good morning,

I just received my new SABR e-book about the Orioles and saw that Bill was a contributor.

Congrats Bill!
Much appreciated Mike:

This book was originally supposed to published in 2020 when the annual SABR convention was scheduled to be in Baltimore. Of course COVID pushed the convention all the way back to next summer, so they decided not to make their membership wait any longer.

I personally chose the game where Brooks hit his final career home run (of course no one realized it at the time) because it always resonated with me being I was a sophomore in HS living outside of Columbus, OH and heard it happen live on the Indians radio broadcast & I remember how good it made me feel.

I also wanted to tackle a Game Project for SABR and decided it was the best time to 'get my feet wet.'

Additionally about 10 years ago, I was fortunate to obtain the original pitching chart kept by Scott McGregor that historic night (which was also useful in my research). When I watch Brooks hit the HR on YouTube it's very cool knowing that the pitching chart I own resided in the Orioles dugout that night.

As an aside the Babe Ruth Museum is holding a book launch party (along with a panel discussion which I volunteered to participate in) on November 13.

Mike said he may come down and if anyone else has any interest DM me and I'll email you the details!

Last edited by roarfrom34; 10-30-2021 at 12:03 PM.
Old 10-29-2021, 11:13 AM
M@rk Comer

Bill,

That’s so cool. See, I told you should have been a Brooks collector.
Old 10-30-2021, 10:02 AM
Bill H@e1ig

Quote:
Bill,

That’s so cool. See, I told you should have been a Brooks collector.
Mark-

I would but you & the other guys here already have all the good stuff lol...

Anyways, Cal's son Ryan played with the Norfolk Tides (Orioles AAA) this past season & here are a pair of his (size 15) game used cleats plus his locker name tag that I recently picked up:

Last edited by roarfrom34; 10-30-2021 at 11:31 AM.
Old 10-30-2021, 01:26 PM

Default 2 Orioles Year Books need to complete the run 2007 and 2011

Looking for 2 Orioles Yearbooks.

I am missing 2007 and 2011.

Anyone have these and willing to sell?

Charlie
Old 11-03-2021, 07:09 AM
Jeff Carlson

Apologies for butting in on the Brooks thread, but I have a question for Baltimore Orioles collectors that probably isn't worth it's own thread.

I am in the process of a long overdue cataloging of my Paul Blair collection and I have several questions I am struggling to resolve. I am still working to see if I can answer some myself, but this one I cannot figure out: TCDB's Paul Blair checklist lists a 1970 Traffic Safety set and a 1971 DMV Safety set. The two sets have identical checklists, but I cannot find any source other than TCDB that lists them separately. To complicate things, the 1971 DMV set has pictures for each card, while the 1970 has no pictures. So, I can't even compare images.

To make things even stranger, on eBay you can only find these cards for the Washington Senators. Not a single Oriole to be found. I suspect that there is only one such set and it is erroneously listed twice on TCDB. Can any of the experts here clear up for me whether there are one or two of these traffic safety sets? Thank you.

Here is the one I have: