NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-27-2021, 09:23 AM
Howard Chasser

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
I think that sentiment has a fatal flaw though. The issue with this virus is that it can be transmitted to people who haven't assume the risk. That's the danger of it. You are welcome of course to have your own stance on behaviors but ultimately your behavior can affect other people's health who haven't assumed the same risks.
People who smoke around people who don't put people at risk who haven't assumed it

People who text (or talk depending on how) while they drive put people at risk who haven't assumed it.

People who produce and promote the myriad food offerings that contribute largely to chronic disease in what is supposed to be the richest, most technologically advanced country in the world put people at risk who haven't assumed it.

People who send their children to school when they have a fever, are sneezing, coughing, etc. put people at risk who haven't assumed it.

People who create large amounts of unnecessary waste including using an excessive amount of plastic and treating non renewable resources as their privilege put people at risk who haven't assumed it.

Because covid is acutely present and "interrupting our lives" all of a sudden "the greater good" is a priority?! Please.

These came quickly off the top of my head - I am sure there are MANY more things that are done and ignored daily that puts people who haven't assumed it , at risk. Injecting something that has the possibility of harm (however small and without a guarantee of 100% effectiveness) must be a choice.

Cards for sale: https://www.flickr.com/photos/185900663@N07/albums

I am actively buying and selling vintage sports cards graded and raw. Feedback as a buyer: https://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=297262

I am accepting select private consignments of quality vintage cards (raw or graded) and collecting "want" lists for higher end ($1K+) vintage cards.
Old 04-27-2021, 09:55 AM
Andy Wa.lko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnep31 View Post
Unfortunately, what they don't realize, is they are the research.
Yeah that's true to some extent...obviously rushing a vaccine to the market in less than a year isn't ideal. But neither is letting COVID ravage the globe for years. There are no easy answers to a global pandemic.
Old 04-27-2021, 10:24 AM
Wimberleycardcollector

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime View Post
Yeah that's true to some extent...obviously rushing a vaccine to the market in less than a year isn't ideal. But neither is letting COVID ravage the globe for years. There are no easy answers to a global pandemic.
Well said.
Old 04-27-2021, 10:38 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcv123 View Post
People who smoke around people who don't put people at risk who haven't assumed it

People who text (or talk depending on how) while they drive put people at risk who haven't assumed it.

People who produce and promote the myriad food offerings that contribute largely to chronic disease in what is supposed to be the richest, most technologically advanced country in the world put people at risk who haven't assumed it.

People who send their children to school when they have a fever, are sneezing, coughing, etc. put people at risk who haven't assumed it.

People who create large amounts of unnecessary waste including using an excessive amount of plastic and treating non renewable resources as their privilege put people at risk who haven't assumed it.

Because covid is acutely present and "interrupting our lives" all of a sudden "the greater good" is a priority?! Please.

These came quickly off the top of my head - I am sure there are MANY more things that are done and ignored daily that puts people who haven't assumed it , at risk. Injecting something that has the possibility of harm (however small and without a guarantee of 100% effectiveness) must be a choice.
Doesn't make any of those things right. With your logic, why not drink and drive? Just making a choice for personal freedom that puts others at risk. If I happen to skid my car into some kids waiting at a school crossing, well, that is just the consequence of my choice, so deal with it, don't get MADD at me.

Drunk drivers are assholes. Parents who send a sick kid to school...assholes. People who text while driving...assholes. People who smoke in non-smoking areas...assholes. You get my drift?

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 04-27-2021 at 10:39 AM.
Old 04-27-2021, 10:39 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Maybe we should all attend the National as "Bubble Boys". Then we can ditch the masks and vaccinations, so everyone can be at ease...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bubble-boy.jpg (10.7 KB, 827 views)
Old 04-27-2021, 10:43 AM
Jay Shumsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime View Post
Very true. Considering how polarizing so many things related to COVID have become (vaccines, masks, etc), the fact the the US has administered the most vaccine shots of any country is amazing. While the vaccines were definitely approved in significantly less time than vaccines normally would be, the hope is (and the results so far show) that the benefits outweigh the risks. Even with the J&J vaccine, the risk of blood clots caused by the vaccine is much lower than the risk of blood clots caused by getting COVID.
Old 04-27-2021, 10:44 AM
T@yl0r $ch0ck

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcv123 View Post

You forgot the irony of ironies. People who lead sedentary lives and haven't taken care of their own health up to this point by eating properly, exercising, and doing the other things to stay healthy in the first place, now want other people to protect them from themselves while ignoring their previously poor life/health decisions.

This list is much larger than those who are at risk through no fault of their own.

Last edited by tschock; 04-27-2021 at 11:07 AM. Reason: removing the sarcasm attempt 'for the greater good'
Old 04-27-2021, 10:52 AM
T@yl0r $ch0ck

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayshum View Post
Very true. Considering how polarizing so many things related to COVID have become (vaccines, masks, etc), the fact the the US has administered the most vaccine shots of any country is amazing. While the vaccines were definitely approved in significantly less time than vaccines normally would be, the hope is (and the results so far show) that the benefits outweigh the risks. Even with the J&J vaccine, the risk of blood clots caused by the vaccine is much lower than the risk of blood clots caused by getting COVID.
Assuming that the longer times a 'normal' approval would take really mitigates the risk. Maybe the 'new normal' (as the phrase goes) should be faster approvals? Or maybe that every single drug commercial has the caveat of 'do not take this drug if you are allergic to it' might be an indicator as to where we think we need to be with mitigating risk?
Old 04-27-2021, 10:54 AM
Joh.n Spen.cer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey2296 View Post
Next time walk through the back door confidently dressed in PPE with some gadget that beeps, stop at every table and inspect every card.
_
Oh Lord, no National? Think of the pent up demand and the red hot market - a seller's paradise! Can't move it to Mumbai. Not cool there.
Old 04-27-2021, 10:56 AM

I don't see any ironies or think there is a concept of the greater good in anything anyone does. We should all be fairly certain by now that nobody cares about the greater good in any capacity.

Still, it doesn't hurt anyone to wear a mask and I do believe people feel respected when you wear your mask in their presence.

Last edited by packs; 04-27-2021 at 10:56 AM.
Old 04-27-2021, 11:08 AM
T@yl0r $ch0ck

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
I don't see any ironies or think there is a concept of the greater good in anything anyone does. We should all be fairly certain by now that nobody cares about the greater good in any capacity.

Still, it doesn't hurt anyone to wear a mask and I do believe people feel respected when you wear your mask in their presence.
Removed the attempt at sarcasm. ('for the greater good')
Old 04-27-2021, 11:54 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

This doesn't look problematic in the slightest. No sir.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Nat'l.jpg (80.1 KB, 821 views)
Old 04-27-2021, 12:27 PM
Wimberleycardcollector

Quote:
Exactly right. Better than the alternative of having COVID. I've had both COVID and the vaccines. There are small risks with every vaccine. Nothing is 100%. Birth control pills aren't even 100%. Not even sure what the argument on here except someone wants to always have the last word. LOL. Bottom line is if you are worried about the risk don't go. Have the convention for those who can go and want to go. If that bothers you stay home and feel good that you have advised everyone else on how to handle the pandemic.

Last edited by Wimberleycardcollector; 04-27-2021 at 12:28 PM.
Old 04-27-2021, 01:26 PM
CostA Kl@d1@n0s

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
you DO know the vaccine isn't 100% effective?
So whats the end game then? If nothing is 100% effective will we just have masks and restrictions in place for the rest of time?
Old 04-27-2021, 01:59 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wimberleycardcollector View Post
Exactly right. Better than the alternative of having COVID. I've had both COVID and the vaccines. There are small risks with every vaccine. Nothing is 100%. Birth control pills aren't even 100%. Not even sure what the argument on here except someone wants to always have the last word. LOL. Bottom line is if you are worried about the risk don't go. Have the convention for those who can go and want to go. If that bothers you stay home and feel good that you have advised everyone else on how to handle the pandemic.
I work with a dude who nearly died of Covid. Want to know why? Brother of a guy we work with went to the Sturgis rally. Was exposed. Came home and then gave it to his wife, who in turn gave it to my buddy and his wife. And my friend, now better, almost gave up the ghost.

So the idiot who went to Sturgis gave it to a guy who has never stepped foot in South Dakota.

The decisions we make can affect other people. Why that is such a difficult thing for people to grasp with a communicable disease I don't know.

Last edited by Snapolit1; 04-27-2021 at 01:59 PM.
Old 04-27-2021, 02:17 PM
Jay Shumsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by maniac_73 View Post
So whats the end game then? If nothing is 100% effective will we just have masks and restrictions in place for the rest of time?
I think the hope is that as a significant number of people get vaccinated and as treatments improve, it will be something that can be lived with (like the flu) without significant restrictions in place. Although in some Asian countries, mask wearing when someone is sick has been common practice which is likely part of the reason the spread wasn't as bad in places like South Korea and Japan than it was in the US.
Old 04-27-2021, 02:31 PM
Johnny MaZilli

It's amazing how many people blindly acquiesce to losing their freedoms.
Old 04-27-2021, 03:29 PM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny630 View Post
It's amazing how many people blindly acquiesce to losing their freedoms.
what "freedoms" might you be referring to?
Old 04-27-2021, 04:20 PM
Wimberleycardcollector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
I work with a dude who nearly died of Covid. Want to know why? Brother of a guy we work with went to the Sturgis rally. Was exposed. Came home and then gave it to his wife, who in turn gave it to my buddy and his wife. And my friend, now better, almost gave up the ghost.

So the idiot who went to Sturgis gave it to a guy who has never stepped foot in South Dakota.

The decisions we make can affect other people. Why that is such a difficult thing for people to grasp with a communicable disease I don't know.
I grasp it just fine. I had COVID bad for several weeks, five days with a fever of 102. Got it three days after my first vaccine shot. I'm at high risk too. Type 1 Diabetic and immune system compromised. No fault of mine I got it. Followed protocols to a tee since last March. Contracted it in late January this year. Some one gave it to me but I'm not butt hurt about it. I also haven't lived my life in a bubble. You act like your the only one who has been affected by this pandemic and that you know everything. I know two people that have died from it. Both were obese and had heart issues. Have you had it? All I'm saying is stop trying to tell everyone else to live like you. Don't want to get out and go places? Stay your ass at home but don't criticize others who don't want to do that and stop preaching to everyone about how stupid they are for not being like you.

Last edited by Wimberleycardcollector; 04-27-2021 at 04:22 PM.
Old 04-27-2021, 04:26 PM
Wimberleycardcollector

Quote:
I think the hope is that as a significant number of people get vaccinated and as treatments improve, it will be something that can be lived with (like the flu) without significant restrictions in place. Although in some Asian countries, mask wearing when someone is sick has been common practice which is likely part of the reason the spread wasn't as bad in places like South Korea and Japan than it was in the US.
There will be many, many people who will never get vaccinated. If that is the hope it'll never be over. I know at least 10 people who will never get it in just my group of close friends. They all have their own personal reasons. Unlike others I respect that and they respected my decision to get it.
Old 04-27-2021, 04:43 PM
Johnny MaZilli

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
what "freedoms" might you be referring to?
Religious Assembly.
Old 04-27-2021, 05:22 PM
Dan=iel Enri.ght

As the vaccine has arrived and is now fairly readily available, I'm comfortable with allowing the Covid virus and it's many future variants to come and play evolutionary maker.

Anyone who is stupid enough to believe their freedom of not taking a vaccine (that will save their lives) - is more important than living the rest of their days - is a poor addition to the human species and its need to imagine a better future.

Y'all can die out and remove a little of that moronic DNA from our futures, we all good. I won't make you keep breathing....please just do us tax payers a solid and fill out a 'do not assist me as I struggle to sieve air through my drowning lungs, I wish not to avail myself of this medical witchery that is being peddled by lefty gun stealing non fracking tree huggers'.

Win win all round.

Last edited by 68Hawk; 04-27-2021 at 06:16 PM.
Old 04-27-2021, 05:57 PM
C0nor D0na.hue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wimberleycardcollector View Post
There will be many, many people who will never get vaccinated. If that is the hope it'll never be over. I know at least 10 people who will never get it in just my group of close friends. They all have their own personal reasons. Unlike others I respect that and they respected my decision to get it.
I’m fine with anyone who doesn’t want to get it. But I do think they should be denied medical care should they need it. Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.
Old 04-27-2021, 06:30 PM

I really hope they don't skip Chicago!
Old 04-27-2021, 06:37 PM
Scott
Scott All.en

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68Hawk View Post
Y'all can die out and remove a little of that moronic DNA from our futures, we all good. I won't make you keep breathing....please just do us tax payers a solid and fill out a 'do not assist me as I struggle to sieve air through my drowning lungs, I wish not to avail myself of this medical witchery that is being peddled by lefty gun stealing non fracking tree huggers'.

Win win all round.

Yep. I know people who have the same attitude about abortion - go for it. They think the more abortions performed, the fewer democrats around to mess things up.

I've had both shots, so it doesn't matter to me who gets vaccinated and who doesn't. If I'm immune then I can be around people who aren't. I'm willing to play the odds that if I'm vaccinated I can be around others who choose not to get it. To each his own.
Old 04-27-2021, 06:53 PM

It will be early June when the final decision is made.
Old 04-27-2021, 07:03 PM
CostA Kl@d1@n0s

Quote:
Originally Posted by conor912 View Post
I’m fine with anyone who doesn’t want to get it. But I do think they should be denied medical care should they need it. Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.
So Smokers and people who drink should also be denied medical care? How about people who dont exercise or eat too much fast food? What a ridiculous take
Old 04-27-2021, 07:07 PM
C0nor D0na.hue

Quote:
Originally Posted by maniac_73 View Post
So Smokers and people who drink should also be denied medical care? How about people who dont exercise or eat too much fast food? What a ridiculous take
Correct. And obese people should have to pay for two plane seats instead of spilling into mine.
Old 04-27-2021, 07:31 PM
A.J. Johnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAllen2556 View Post
Yep. I know people who have the same attitude about abortion - go for it. They think the more abortions performed, the fewer democrats around to mess things up.

I've had both shots, so it doesn't matter to me who gets vaccinated and who doesn't. If I'm immune then I can be around people who aren't. I'm willing to play the odds that if I'm vaccinated I can be around others who choose not to get it. To each his own.
The problem with this is that if enough people don't get vaccinated it allows the virus to mutate with the possibility of affecting all the vaccinated people. You need enough immune people (75-85%) to snuff out the virus before it can mutate into a variant that's potentially more deadly. We're in a foot race right now.

As an aside this is an interested read from docs and nurses who've had to deal with the covid deniers. https://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/c...ened_when_you/
*Proudest hobby accomplishment: finished the 1914 Cracker Jack set ranked #11 all-time

Last edited by ajjohnsonsoxfan; 04-27-2021 at 07:33 PM.
Old 04-27-2021, 08:05 PM
Rowbeartoe Toemoss

Default 🤔🤔🤔

Are you guys bickering about that virus that has a 99.7% survival rate? Or the one that has “supposedly” killed less than 1% of the US population?
Old 04-27-2021, 10:16 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny630 View Post
Religious Assembly.
Religion...so no one can tell you not to assemble to engage in a belief system that dictates what you can and cannot do in virtually every aspect of your life...the irony is delicious.

i'm an atheist but I am also fat, so i had zero problems staying home from my events. I have to wonder though: if you got COVID while worshipping (like those people in Texas) and died, would She be pleased with your choice to ignore the public health authorities?

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 04-27-2021 at 10:29 PM.
Old 04-27-2021, 11:43 PM
Rob

This is watercooler stuff, like who's your favorite 80's hair band, or do you believe in a higher power? Oprah channel stuff.
Old 04-28-2021, 04:15 AM

Default love it

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCMcKenzie View Post
This is watercooler stuff, like who's your favorite 80's hair band, or do you believe in a higher power? Oprah channel stuff.

Fav 80s hair band - flock of sea gulls
Old 04-28-2021, 04:55 AM
Kevin from Franklin Square, LI

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldinJared View Post
I really hope they don't skip Chicago!
Underrated comment right here !
Old 04-28-2021, 04:59 AM
Kevin from Franklin Square, LI

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCMcKenzie View Post
There is an 80z Italian disco group by the name of “La Bionda” with a catchy song “I Wanna Be Your Lover”. Worth a listen.

Me? 80s hair band? I want to make something real. I want to make a Yaz record...
Old 04-28-2021, 11:59 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfish View Post
Fav 80s hair band - flock of sea gulls
This one ranks right up there as well...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGNiXGX2nLU
Old 04-28-2021, 02:52 PM
Ke.n Su.lik

Not a hair band, but how about some beans?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyCEexG9xjw
Old 04-28-2021, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by conor912 View Post
Prizes given out by stupid,opinionated people!
Old 04-28-2021, 03:51 PM
Rhett Yeakley

Well that went downhill!

Hopefully we can get to a point where we can all be comfortable going to a show together again and remember we have a lot in common.

ebay store: kryvintage-->https://www.ebay.com/sch/kryvintage/...p2047675.l2562
Old 04-28-2021, 04:45 PM
Wimberleycardcollector

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhettyeakley View Post
Well that went downhill!

Hopefully we can get to a point where we can all be comfortable going to a show together again and remember we have a lot in common.
Amen to that. I haven't been to a National show in a very long time so I am certainly hoping they have one this year. All vaccinated up and ready to go with mask in hand if necessary to buy cards.
Old 04-28-2021, 05:03 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlywynnfan View Post
Not a hair band, but how about some beans?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyCEexG9xjw
Love it...

As teenagers, we used to call them “Wall of Doo Doo”

Better days!!
Old 04-28-2021, 07:17 PM
Wayne

Dallas and orlando
Old 04-28-2021, 08:26 PM
Tom Re.bert

Default Pizza

So if the National is cancelled, there goes the PIZZA!
Old 04-29-2021, 09:56 AM
Tony Gordon

https://blockclubchicago.org/2021/04...nMWW-vQucZzHeQ
Old 04-29-2021, 10:51 AM
Eric Pugh

I’ve already had to make plans so the fact they can’t say yes or no at this point means I can’t go. So it is already costing some attendance. On the other hand - if it is a go- it’ll be jam packed regardless due to the excitement in the hobby.
Old 04-29-2021, 01:08 PM

IT's sad that collectors like Eric will have to miss the National, but no matter when it is held, it will likely break records for attendance similar to the Anaheim show so many years ago. So, if the attendance will have to be limited, it might make more sense to reschedule it until full attendance can be guaranteed. Even then, it might be difficult to get everyone in daily. It would be advisable to show up early each day.

I haven't set up at a show since August 2019, but I have had substantial sales anyway -- in fact, 2020 ranks as one of the top three years (out of 46 years) I have had in sales and profits. Who would have thought? Especially from a vintage only dealer -- for the most part, I cut off at 1975.

Hopefully we will all get a reprieve soon and shows will become possible all over the country.

Steve
Old 04-29-2021, 04:19 PM
Chris
Chr.is Ta.bar

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrackaJackKid View Post
Are you guys bickering about that virus that has a 99.7% survival rate? Or the one that has “supposedly” killed less than 1% of the US population?
Are death and 100% full recovery the only two possible outcomes of getting COVID?
Old 04-29-2021, 05:38 PM
Rowbeartoe Toemoss

Default ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabe View Post
Are death and 100% full recovery the only two possible outcomes of getting COVID?
Never said it was. Yeah, it hits everyone differently but for the most part it’s nothing more than the flu for most. I’ve already had it.

Everyone claims to want to follow the science so given the numbers I’m gonna live my life like normal, if it really scares you that bad, then stay home.
Old 05-01-2021, 08:37 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrackaJackKid View Post
Never said it was. Yeah, it hits everyone differently but for the most part it’s nothing more than the flu for most. I’ve already had it.

Everyone claims to want to follow the science so given the numbers I’m gonna live my life like normal, if it really scares you that bad, then stay home.
I get my second shot tomorrow. I am still wearing a mask most times. In Texas, most places it's not mandatory. Some it still is but not most. It's suggested to but not mandated even where I workout.

My daughter, the data scientist, doesn't want to get one yet. She is 24 and married and all I can do is tell her I think she should, and I do tell her. She won't budge for now and says she might get one in the future. To each their own I guess.

Old 05-01-2021, 12:20 PM
Rowbeartoe Toemoss

[QUOTE=Leon;2098343]I get my second shot tomorrow. I am still wearing a mask most times. In Texas, most places it's not mandatory. Some it still is but not most. It's suggested to but not mandated even where I workout.

My daughter, the data scientist, doesn't want to get one yet. She is 24 and married and all I can do is tell her I think she should, and I do tell her. She won't budge for now and says she might get one in the future. To each their own I guess.

Exactly, to each their own. I refuse to wear a mask also. Expecting a surgical mask or a gator to protect you from a virus that’s nanometers small is like relying on a chain link fence to keep out mosquitoes. They’re plain theatre. Just my two cents.