NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-10-2021, 03:44 PM
Frank
Fra.nk Anth0ny

Default To Many Dam Auctions

It was really nice when auction houses had 1 or 2 real quality auctions a year. Now it seems, they need to have special auctions, flash auctions, out of no where auctions and lets see if we can make a buck off this stuff auctions. Some auctions now are just continues. The excitement is gone and it's getting boring seeing cards graded 2,3 and 4 in a so called big auction. Consigner's must be getting killed. Frank
Old 06-10-2021, 04:05 PM
Todd Schultz

I dunno, I kind of like it. The more the merrier. Maybe as the competition gets more and more crowded auction houses will lower their BPs to attract more action (he says with a wishful sigh).
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.
Old 06-10-2021, 04:10 PM
Ma.tt Whi.te

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank A View Post
It was really nice when auction houses had 1 or 2 real quality auctions a year. Now it seems, they need to have special auctions, flash auctions, out of no where auctions and lets see if we can make a buck off this stuff auctions. Some auctions now are just continues. The excitement is gone and it's getting boring seeing cards graded 2,3 and 4 in a so called big auction. Consigner's must be getting killed. Frank
Can’t blame auction houses for keeping up with demand. If people weren’t selling, auctions would need to happen.
Old 06-10-2021, 04:15 PM
Scott Russell

Quote:
If consignors were getting killed they wouldn't be lining up to sell...
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 06-10-2021, 04:18 PM
�tis J�hns�n

I love it. I wish there were even more auctions.
Old 06-10-2021, 04:19 PM

Are you a beaver cause DAM
Schlei (Catching) Back run: 10/12 (minus blank back)

Actively collecting t206 Hall of Famers, Southern Leaguers, and Various backs in good to excellent condition. Love talking cards too.
Old 06-10-2021, 04:19 PM
Jeff Carlson

Quote:
It was really nice when auction houses had 1 or 2 real quality auctions a year. Now it seems, they need to have special auctions, flash auctions, out of no where auctions and lets see if we can make a buck off this stuff auctions.
Nobody goes there anymore, it's too busy.
Old 06-10-2021, 04:20 PM
Jeffrey Kuhr

For me it is sensory overload and continuous temptation

Also hard because some times I see multiple cards I want and do not come up often but the funds are not there and I miss out.

But over all I enjoy the auction parade

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 06-10-2021, 04:24 PM
Jimmy

Live auctions are much better! miss those days, still go to some of the smaller ones. There does seem to be an increase in online auctions for cards.

Jimmy
Old 06-10-2021, 04:38 PM
mªttHǝɯ h0uℊℌ

I like more auctions. Bring 'em on!
Old 06-10-2021, 04:38 PM
C0nor D0na.hue

Yoo shood do auction right-ups.
Old 06-10-2021, 05:21 PM
Johnny MaZilli

More Auctions Mean More Money........Many People with Big Money are Buying Cards... Maybe as a fun hedge asset that isn't as boring as gold.....idk.

I think 5 Guys and 5 Guys Only I wish I could make a INDEX with these Cards

1. Ruth
2. Cobb
3. Jackie
5. Mantle
6. Mays

Buy these hold these for 10 Plus Years See What Your Return Is.

If I was an Investor I'd be doing this.
Old 06-10-2021, 05:33 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Love the multiple auctions, especially the side hustles where you can find some good deals on great cards. The advantage to an escalating market is that it makes some rare long-held cards available to the market again.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-
Old 06-10-2021, 05:43 PM

The more auctions the better. More chances to find something to buy. I am pretty much done with eBay. Auctions are shilled and buy it nows are way too high.

Last edited by rats60; 06-10-2021 at 05:44 PM.
Old 06-10-2021, 06:15 PM

It's fantastic. The high volume of buying and selling shows that interest is at an all-time high and that demand is growing. Sure, some of the people are only in it to make a quick buck and will leave – but a considerable percentage of the new arrivals will be in the hobby for the long run!

Additionally, frequent sales and the auction format mean that we can more accurately determine what the value of a given card is. More data points = better price discovery!

Love seeing cool cards routinely hit the market.
Old 06-10-2021, 06:18 PM

To Many Dam Auctions, a single, unregulated auction is a threat to cause severe flooding during monsoon season.

Brian (part time profundity pundit)
Old 06-10-2021, 06:20 PM
C0nor D0na.hue

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianp-beme View Post
To Many Dam Auctions, a single, unregulated auction is a threat to cause severe flooding during monsoon season.

Brian (part time profundity pundit)
I thought it was an open letter to most (but not all) auction houses specializing in the sale of dams.
Old 06-10-2021, 07:27 PM
Sco.tt Mar.cus

I don’t think it’s a bad thing, but I do wish there was an easier way to keep track of all the auctions. I’ve missed out on items I would’ve liked because it was in some obscure auction house that I found out about the day after the auction ended.
Old 06-10-2021, 07:54 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanuts View Post
It's fantastic. The high volume of buying and selling shows that interest is at an all-time high and that demand is growing. Sure, some of the people are only in it to make a quick buck and will leave – but a considerable percentage of the new arrivals will be in the hobby for the long run!

Additionally, frequent sales and the auction format mean that we can more accurately determine what the value of a given card is. More data points = better price discovery!

Love seeing cool cards routinely hit the market.
Me too. I was really sick of consigning an item and waiting 6+ months to get it sold.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 06-11-2021, 10:59 AM
Frank
Fra.nk Anth0ny

Well well well. The spelling police are out in force to get you if you spell something wrong. All that tells me is they all think they are brilliant and the poor guy that wrote the word is an idiot. Sorry guys but you make yourselves look stupid. In fact ASSHOLES is a better word. I think I got that spelling correct.
Old 06-11-2021, 12:51 PM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

Quote:
Well well well. The spelling police are out in force to get you if you spell something wrong. All that tells me is they all think they are brilliant and the poor guy that wrote the word is an idiot. Sorry guys but you make yourselves look stupid. In fact ASSHOLES is a better word. I think I got that spelling correct.
You mix up your homonyms, people have a little fun with it an you get upset? A bit silly. Perhaps a little more fiber will do or a Drano enema.

"The man who can keep a secret may be wise, but he is not half as wise as the man with no secrets to keep”
Old 06-11-2021, 12:54 PM
Scott
Scott All.en

Quote:
Be grateful no one is critiquing your grammar.
Old 06-11-2021, 01:14 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

DAM is an initialism for Didn’t Acquire Much. As such, I share the original poster’s frustration since this describes most auctions for me. We need to find more auctions where we acquire things. Virtual high five.
Old 06-11-2021, 01:45 PM
Bill K@sel

I'm enjoying all the auction activity right now, and I've been able to make a lot more progress on my sets than just BST. I tend to stay away from EBay unless something interesting comes up that isn't a BIN (which are always ridiculously overpriced).

Bill
Old 06-11-2021, 03:03 PM
C0nor D0na.hue

Quote:
Dam yankees.
Old 06-11-2021, 03:32 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Damn the Torpedoes, full speed ahead...
-
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Farragut.jpg (62.1 KB, 464 views)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-
Old 06-11-2021, 03:34 PM

Default Civility:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAllen2556 View Post
Be grateful no one is critiquing your grammar.
...Please leave his family out of this....

Old 06-11-2021, 07:07 PM
Brian May
Bri.an M@y

Quote:

Get Off My Lawn !!!!
Old 06-11-2021, 11:06 PM

To move from A-Hole to B-Hole status, I present my take on this topic. I believe Ebay, which for 20 years or so was the place to move 2nd and 3rd tier vintage cards, has become very undesirable to both seller and buyer the last few years. Auction houses, including the major ones, have most understandably seized upon the opportunity to take up the slack, and I believe they have a done a good job doing so.

Brian
Old 06-12-2021, 06:09 AM
Jason Wells

And still hardly a freshly listed T210 Red Border to be found. I vote more Auctions lol.
Old 06-12-2021, 07:02 AM

Quote:
To move from A-Hole to B-Hole status, I present my take on this topic. I believe Ebay, which for 20 years or so was the place to move 2nd and 3rd tier vintage cards, has become very undesirable to both seller and buyer the last few years. Auction houses, including the major ones, have most understandably seized upon the opportunity to take up the slack, and I believe they have a done a good job doing so.

Brian
This is a good point. EBay has become unfiriendly to buyers over the last 6 months. I have pretty much quit buying off there. I hope to see more 100-500 dollars cards from auction houses to fill in from what I used to buy off eBay. That means more auctions such as a monthly small auction in addition to big ones a few times per year. That would be ideal in my opinion.
Old 06-12-2021, 07:10 AM
Johnny MaZilli

Big Money is Spent with the Auction House…

Shows is dumpster diving and kicking the tires people.

That’s just the way it is.

Last edited by Johnny630; 06-12-2021 at 07:11 AM.
Old 06-12-2021, 07:50 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

See both sides.
It’s nice having basically non stop eye candy to look at.
However I agree that it no longer seems as special. In the past there would be a count down for the big aiction houses with great anticipation. A preview would be released to much oohing and ahhhing. Now they just seem to drop big auctions continuously. I guess the supply and demand are there, so strike while the iron is hot as they say.
But it don’t seem to have the magic it used to have.

Seems deflating to see such much of everything you like always being churned. It’s like owning a Tesla I’m sure. Was a lot more fun and special when you didn’t see 40 of them every day driving to work.

Last edited by Snapolit1; 06-12-2021 at 07:53 AM.
Old 06-12-2021, 08:05 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Every time I see the title of this thread I cringe. I almost changed it when it went up as it sort of drives the OCD in me crazy. But not a big deal....

Back to the story. Million dollar cards are a dime a dozen now, especially new artificially manufactured rarity. There seems to always be a a major auction or three going on now. I still like cards you don't see every day but they don't have the monetary value of the more mainstream and common ones.

Last edited by Leon; 06-12-2021 at 08:06 AM.
Old 06-12-2021, 08:24 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Those are awesome!
Precisely why I’ve moved more heavily into memorabilia. It’s nice holding something truly scarce and cool.
Old 06-12-2021, 11:36 AM
Tim Newcomb

Default original post was worthless

but the responses made it worthwhile!
Old 06-14-2021, 08:10 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

To Many Auctions

could mean

Two, Many Auctions

or it could be

Too Many Auctions

or it could be

Two Too Many Auctions

or it could be

Tutu Many Auctions

or it could be

Two Tutus Too Many Auctions

or it could be

Going To Too Many Tutu Auctions

Toodle-oo

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 06-14-2021, 08:23 AM
Joe

What did the fish say when he ran into a brick wall?
Old 06-14-2021, 08:39 AM
β∪τ∁ℏ †∪RΩεΓ

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2dueces View Post
What did the fish say when he ran into a brick wall?
All in all it's just a 'nother brick in the wall.
Old 06-14-2021, 09:51 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
Frankly speaking I’ll admit to having one, but after 30+ years of colorectal surgery, I probably have seen more assholes than anyone on this forum. Personally I’d rather be an asshole than a hemorrhoid, fissure or abscess.
And if you can’t take the heat, don’t fan the flame.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 06-14-2021, 10:04 AM
Sco.tt Mar.cus

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbmd View Post
To Many Auctions

could mean

Two, Many Auctions

or it could be

Too Many Auctions

or it could be

Two Too Many Auctions

or it could be

Tutu Many Auctions

or it could be

Two Tutus Too Many Auctions

or it could be

Going To Too Many Tutu Auctions

Toodle-oo
Maybe we’re reading too much into this, and he’s complaining about the number of dams being auctioned off. While I am not aware of plans to auction off the Hoover or Three Gorges dams, given Egypt’s financial woes it is entirely possible the Aswan High Dam will go to the auction block one of these days.
Old 06-14-2021, 03:50 PM
Paul Gruszka aka P Diddy, Cambo, Fluke, Jagr, PG13, Bon Jokey, Paulie Walnuts
Pa.ul Grus.zka

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2cIGYpFA68
Old 06-14-2021, 04:35 PM
Eric Perry

Quote:

...after 30+ years of colorectal surgery, I probably have seen more assholes than anyone on this forum...
Front-runner for the quote of the year?

As always, Frank, your wit is as sharp as a scalpel.

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)
1956 Topps Baseball (189/342)

"You can observe a lot by just watching."
- Yogi Berra
Old 06-14-2021, 05:40 PM
C0nor D0na.hue

Dam, the jockes are just continues.
Old 06-14-2021, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Frankly speaking I’ll admit to having one, but after 30+ years of colorectal surgery, I probably have seen more assholes than anyone on this forum. Personally I’d rather be an asshole than a hemorrhoid, fissure or abscess.
I think we would all like to know your perspective on polyps.

Brian
Old 06-14-2021, 06:34 PM
Jeff Carlson

Quote:
after 30+ years of colorectal surgery,
Maybe you should have found a faster doctor.
Old 06-14-2021, 07:00 PM
M@rk S@tterstr0m

Quote:
I think we would all like to know your perspective on polyps.

Brian
"Polyp" was my nickname in high school.
Old 06-14-2021, 07:59 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlsonjok View Post
Maybe you should have found a faster doctor.
Jeff,

I was the surgeon. I was never considered slow, but to be honest, most patients preferred to have their procedure finished before I left the operating room.
I can assure you that we had a clock in the OR, but never needed a calendar to measure the length of an operation. Results are far more important than the elapsed time.

274/1000 Monster Number

Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 06-14-2021, 08:14 PM
Joh.n Spen.cer

Quote:
And if you can’t take the heat, don’t fan the flame.
Frank, I just ran screaming to my bathroom and grabbed the Preparation H.