NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 05-28-2021, 07:15 PM
Steve

Default What is Media?

While thinking about selling this book, and probably using USPS Media Mail to ship it, I asked myself - self, why aren't cards considered media themselves? After all, they are paper stock with graphic imagery and full of textual data, just as books are. Does the PO simply want the profit from first class mail, or does it have some arcane definition of sportscards as not media because they may or may not be collectible? Incidentally, there is no dispute with the postal authorities involved in this inquiry, if anyone is wondering.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TOPPS BASEBALL CARDS 1951-88.jpg (82.8 KB, 183 views)
Old 05-28-2021, 07:42 PM
Al Richter

Great book. I think I have 3 update years and then they discontinued them

Last edited by ALR-bishop; 05-28-2021 at 07:43 PM.
Old 05-28-2021, 08:00 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

They'll ship cards media mail, it just takes about a month to get there. It'd probably be cheaper to send that book in a priority box for $8, unlimited weight.
Fun book, I remember having one of those to.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-
Old 05-29-2021, 02:47 PM
Curt

Thinking you left off a 1 in from of that price.

That book is very heavy and I don't think it would fit in any of the flat rate priority boxes though. Media would be the way to go with that one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey2296 View Post
They'll ship cards media mail, it just takes about a month to get there. It'd probably be cheaper to send that book in a priority box for $8, unlimited weight.
Fun book, I remember having one of those to.
Old 05-30-2021, 11:17 AM
Jam.es Braci.liano

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmopar View Post
Thinking you left off a 1 in from of that price.

That book is very heavy and I don't think it would fit in any of the flat rate priority boxes though. Media would be the way to go with that one.
If it fits in a flate rate cardboard envelope, it can ship for around $8. There are 2 sizes, letter and legal.
Old 05-30-2021, 03:20 PM
Curt

That book is huge, much larger than legal. It's also really thick.
I was thinking large flat rate box, but I think it is even too large for that size.

I have one upstair and could measure, but going off memory and guessing, probably 18" x 12" x 2" in size.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim65 View Post
If it fits in a flat rate cardboard envelope, it can ship for around $8. There are 2 sizes, letter and legal.
Old 05-30-2021, 11:14 PM
Steve

Default Monster book

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmopar View Post
That book is huge, much larger than legal. It's also really thick.
I was thinking large flat rate box, but I think it is even too large for that size.

I have one upstair and could measure, but going off memory and guessing, probably 18" x 12" x 2" in size.
I took a tape measure to it, and it's about 15"x12"x2.5", not sure if flat rate box comes in that size, but whatever the case, I was thinking to just let it go for the shipping cost because, as is visible in the pic, it has severe bottom edge damage and I really haven't had much occasion to look at it in the last thirty years.

Last edited by Volod; 05-30-2021 at 11:20 PM.
Old 05-31-2021, 05:16 AM
Tom S

I used to sell books on Ebay and sold this book several times. Just package it up and send it out media mail and you'll be fine. Don't recall any special problems with measurements etc. In fact I would ship large (5-10) lots of books. Strickly based on weight and I believe it is the same price where ever it goes in the continental USA. (Note: I have not sold on Ebay in approximately 2 years. Am not aware of any recent changes to mailing policy).

Only problem I had was once I used an old box with Liquor advertisement and was told to repackage.

This is a very popular book. Update versions not so much

Media Mail would take approximately 5 business days (Pre pandemic)
Old 06-01-2021, 05:59 PM
Steve Birmingham

Books should be fine.

I used to mail cards media mail or under a different now cancelled "unbound printed matter" rate that got absorbed into media mail.
I did briefly consider including an old paperback book and calling the cards packing material, but I'd have to pack them poorly, and the PM is a sort of humorless fellow.
We've had a couple fun discussions, each of us holding our own printout of what we believe is the important part of the DMM.... The clerks used to give me leeway, he never did. He did at least freeely admit that the rules were often contradictory and had areas where they were unclear. But like an umpire, if the rule was unclear his ruling was it.

But post 9-11 they asked what exactly you were shipping, and after a few more boxes, the PM said no more cards in media mail. It will of course depend on how your local place interprets the rules, and if it gets opened for inspection along the way as they reserve the right to do with media mail, how that person interprets it.
Old 06-01-2021, 09:17 PM
Steve

Unhappy Wonder what DeJoy thinks...

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
Books should be fine.

I used to mail cards media mail or under a different now cancelled "unbound printed matter" rate that got absorbed into media mail.
I did briefly consider including an old paperback book and calling the cards packing material, but I'd have to pack them poorly, and the PM is a sort of humorless fellow.
We've had a couple fun discussions, each of us holding our own printout of what we believe is the important part of the DMM.... The clerks used to give me leeway, he never did. He did at least freeely admit that the rules were often contradictory and had areas where they were unclear. But like an umpire, if the rule was unclear his ruling was it.

But post 9-11 they asked what exactly you were shipping, and after a few more boxes, the PM said no more cards in media mail. It will of course depend on how your local place interprets the rules, and if it gets opened for inspection along the way as they reserve the right to do with media mail, how that person interprets it.
Thanks for your thoughts, Steve. I agree that it most likely depends on whatever a local PM thinks about "media." I believe most would want to limit the category to books, or maybe printed material, as long as it did not contain ads. I have, however, shipped a lot of old mags media mail over the years, and they certainly had ads in them, even if placed by long defunct merchants. Also agree that postal people might be suspicious of a package as large and heavy as this book shipped media mail.
Old 06-02-2021, 07:25 AM
Dave.Horn.ish

Fun fact-Topps used their own reprints for the 1952 set images except for the five players who opted out in 1983.
Old 06-02-2021, 07:54 AM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volod View Post
Thanks for your thoughts, Steve. I agree that it most likely depends on whatever a local PM thinks about "media." I believe most would want to limit the category to books, or maybe printed material, as long as it did not contain ads. I have, however, shipped a lot of old mags media mail over the years, and they certainly had ads in them, even if placed by long defunct merchants. Also agree that postal people might be suspicious of a package as large and heavy as this book shipped media mail.
A friend of mine had a magazine from the 1890's returned for additional postage because of the ads. When he pointed out that well over 90% of the companies were long out of business, they just said "an ad is an ad, even if the company closed 100 years ago"

I'd have to look up the current regs, but at the time, books were fine, as were both 16 and 8mm films*, and I think most other recorded media - records, tapes, dvds, VHS, etc.
Media is basically the public version of "library rate" which by now may have been condensed into media mail.

The local branch I used to be at at least a couple days a week would occasionally ask me if something someone had at the counter could go by whatever odd rate that customer was asking for. Or how to pack something, like a pennant.

*Neither 16 or 8mm were produced on nitrate stock, the stuff that self oxidizes when it burns. 35mm obviously was, and isn't allowed in media mail but at least at the time could be mailed if it was packed a certain way and got "no fly" stickers. I've never checked the really old 9.5mm stuff, which I assume might be nitrate, and nobody has ever asked. I think the rule was written that any film 16mm or less was ok. (Or maybe less than 35, but that leaves a bunch of potentially hazardous weirdness in a gray area like 28 and 17mm both very very old. )