NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-13-2021, 07:52 PM

Default WTB: Babe Ruth playing days card... need help and advice please.

Hi all,

I am looking to purchase a Babe Ruth card printed during his career, strip cards or gum cards I'm game for almost anything. I'm currently studying histiry at the University of Colorado so my budget is somewhat small but I'm in the process of selling off a few cards and pieces of my collection to fund this ambition.

I have always been a collector who has bought small cards here and there but never gone after any big time cards or purchases. Recently while looking at Peyton Manning rookie cards, I changed my philosophy and realized that for what people are asking for the cards of his that interest me, I could instead purchase one instead of a player like Ruth, Gehrig or Robinson and that had I saved my money that went towards many of my smaller purchases, I would be well on my way to being able to afford a decent card of a big name (albiet low grade.)

So, I'd like to embark on a journey to acquire a card of the Babe from his playing days. I'm looking for something presentable but creases, tears, cuts or chunks missing won't bother me... being a history student, I'm in it for the history above all else, plus these "defects" will allow me the chance at a more affordable copy. My budget is $1,000 but obviously cheaper is better for this fifth year senior lol.

If anyone is able to help educate me on what is out there within my range or better yet, share what they might be willing to sell, it would be ver much appreciated!

Thanks so much,

Jake
Old 06-13-2021, 08:34 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

1929 Shonen Club or 1932 Sanella would be my suggestion, maybe a low grade 1929 Kashin. I might also suggest a way to save for big cards that works for me, take that 1K and start a separate account, keep looking at every Ruth available including auction houses so you learn the Ruth market, in the meantime sell some cards that are less important to you and put it in that account, don't buy $6 coffee or go out to eat, put that money in your Ruth account. Soon enough the Ruth card that speaks to you and your budget will meet. Good luck in your hunt!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-
Old 06-14-2021, 09:57 PM
Val Kehl

Jake, I think you can acquire a decent-looking card from either of these Babe Ruth sets for your budgeted amount:
Seeking very scarce/rare cards for my Sam Rice master collection, e.g., E210 York Caramel Type 2 (upgrade), 1931 W502, W504 (upgrade), W572 sepia, W573, W575-1 E. S. Rice version, 1922 Haffner's Bread, 1922 Keating Candy, 1922 Witmor Candy Type 2 (vertical back), 1926 Sports Co. of Am. with ad & blank backs. Also T216 Kotton "NGO" card of Hugh Jennings. Also 1917 Merchants Bakery & Weil Baking cards of WaJo.
Old 06-14-2021, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstroJake09 View Post
Hi all,

...My budget is $1,000 ...

Jake

If I was buying a "Ruth" and had a $1k budget and was in a hurry:
1929 Churchman Sports

Great image, interesting background text, unique set. Not the most collectible/wanted so upside is likely modest, but would be a nice personal collection piece if you wanted some Babe in your life.

Best of luck...can always wait and save for something that sparks joy. I have a 42 card (graded/one-touch) display case that I have with UV glass in a light limited room. The cards that truly make me smile live in there. My recently-passed friend and I would always discuss purchases on whether they'd be "case worthy" or live in my banker's cardboard box (aka my "shame box"). If they weren't worthy of going in the display case, odds of me buying would go down...also meant I'd need to figure out which card was leaving the case...

Good luck!
Old 06-15-2021, 12:57 AM
Eddie S.
Eddie Smi.th

There aren't a whole lot of options anymore for a playing days Ruth card for under $1,000, but I like 1931 Josetti Tobacco card of Ruth with actor Harold Lloyd. The card has a a real photo of Ruth (taken during the making of the movie "Speedy"), as opposed to some of the hideous strip cards that barely resemble Ruth.

https://www.psacard.com/cardfacts/ba...oyd-151/631230

The 1932 Bulgaria Sport Tobacco card of Ruth (shown in his Yankees uniform) with boxer Max Schmeling is another nice option that is consistently available for under $1,000.

https://www.psacard.com/cardfacts/mu...ing-256/631232

Last edited by Bored5000; 06-15-2021 at 01:09 AM.
Old 06-15-2021, 06:38 AM
Justin

I would keep my eye out for a low grade or altered 1929 Kashin Ruth.

Its a large card with a photo image so presents nicely.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/303940365837

Looks like a couple have sold for under 1k recently.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Last edited by Jcosta19; 06-15-2021 at 06:38 AM.
Old 06-15-2021, 07:37 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValKehl View Post
Jake, I think you can acquire a decent-looking card from either of these Babe Ruth sets for your budgeted amount:
These are well over 1k now....
Old 06-15-2021, 08:14 AM
Bob Donaldson

Sanella Babe Ruth has a great pose and can easily be had for under $1k
Old 06-15-2021, 08:18 AM
Tom Re.bert

Default Ruth strip card

I have been watching the Ruth strip cards, many of those ungraded are reprints. I would suggest a graded example if you go that route--
Old 06-15-2021, 08:57 AM

Kashin is the way to go. Might have to be patient to get one under $1,000 but it's a great card. I bought this one for $1,500 last March but I don't know if you can still find them in that range. I particularly like this issue for the image and the fact that I could pick up a mid-grade example:

Old 06-15-2021, 11:04 AM
Dan Bl@u

If you are going to get just one Ruth item, I personally would get much more enjoyment from a larger real-photo premium than a strip card or the other cards noted above. The R310 Butterfinger can still be had for under $1000 (four recent eBay sales under that mark). There is also a Quaker Oats premium with a great photo; it's hard to find but they usually go for $500 or less. I just picked up both of these last month and the total bill was under $2K.

Old 06-15-2021, 09:57 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

Froy Joy. A pretty rare and significant card that is undervalued because of all the fakes. Which also means you want to buy a graded one.

I like the Senella. Paper think but a nice looking card.
Old 06-16-2021, 06:09 AM
Scott Russell

1932 Bulgaria Sport is a neat card, and affordable even in a decent grade.

Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions

Last edited by Aquarian Sports Cards; 06-16-2021 at 06:10 AM.
Old 06-16-2021, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
1932 Bulgaria Sport is a neat card, and affordable even in a decent grade.

I like this less expensive card because the Babe is in uniform.

Brian
Old 06-16-2021, 10:59 AM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianp-beme View Post
I like this less expensive card because the Babe is in uniform.

Brian
and easily recognizable, which is not the case on a number of the cards mentioned.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 06-16-2021, 01:01 PM
Jeremy W.

I would save up for a Kashin, if it were me. Preferably, already graded.