NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-12-2022, 01:45 PM
Sam Dodero

Default Newley Discovered

Went to a garage sale today because I saw some old tools that I could have use and found this as well!

Old 08-12-2022, 01:48 PM
mªttHǝɯ h0uℊℌ

I must be going to the wrong garage sales...
Successful transactions with: Natswin2019, ParachromBleu, Cmount76, theuclakid, tiger8mush, shammus, jcmtiger, oldjudge, coolshemp, joejo20, Blunder19, ibechillin33, t206kid, helfrich91, Dashcol, philliesfan, alaskapaul3, Natedog, Kris19, frankbmd, tonyo, Baseball Rarities, Thromdog, T2069bk, t206fix, jakebeckleyoldeagleeye, Casey2296, rdeversole, brianp-beme, seablaster, twalk, qed2190, Gorditadogg, LuckyLarry
Old 08-12-2022, 01:48 PM
Scott S

Wow, what a score! Is it '14 or '15? Any issues we can't see from the pic? Looks beautiful!
Old 08-12-2022, 01:55 PM
Sam Dodero

Default Cj 1914

It’s a 14

Mostly Carmel stains

Last edited by mordecaibrown1; 08-15-2022 at 05:50 AM.
Old 08-12-2022, 01:58 PM
Bob Andrews

Wow… that card is the pot of gold at the end of my hobby rainbow…. my ultimate goal. What a find! Congratulations
Old 08-12-2022, 02:16 PM
Scott Russell

Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 08-12-2022, 02:18 PM
Bill K@sel

That's crazy! Congratulations!

Bill
Old 08-12-2022, 02:30 PM
Jeffrey Kuhr

very nice and Congrats

And please invite us to your next round of Garage Sales

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 08-12-2022, 02:37 PM
pete ullman

Awesome!!! How much???
Old 08-12-2022, 03:08 PM
Matt

Was he hanging out all alone, or did he have other 'friends' there?
Old 08-12-2022, 03:32 PM
Sam Dodero

Default CJ Bender

Went with my wife to the garage sale. Bought some really neat old tools and other vintage stuff from the early 1900's and some 1800's as well. Then I got to talking about hockey, because my sons play hockey. Then talked about old cars. Then I mentioned baseball cards. He walked away into the house and came out and handed me the card. I offered him a decent price and he accepted it. He was an older man, had the card forever. He does have a few other cards as well.
Old 08-12-2022, 04:22 PM
Eric Pugh

Default Cj in the wild

What’s his phone number? Thanks.

(Seriously tho - congrats! Killer card.)
Old 08-13-2022, 11:45 AM
Sam Dodero

Default Garage Sale find

Well went back to the garage sale today and bought a bunch of cool vintage items and one more baseball card.

Old 08-13-2022, 12:20 PM

Funny, I found one of those at a garage sale 30 years ago.
Old 08-13-2022, 12:47 PM
Bob C.

Fantastic pickups. That is the reason many people still go to garage sales and flea markets. You never know what you may find.

Have to ask, you mentioned this guy had tools from the 1800s. What kind of things did he have?
Old 08-13-2022, 01:27 PM
Sam Dodero

Default Garage Sale

Bob I bought a ton of stuff there to name a few things. 1980 Topps baseball Coin Set looks like a complete set. 1950 Two toy Pistols, 1880 rope hook, & something similar to the hook also turn of the century. 1940 music box player, 1800 candle cutter to put out candles, 1900 cookie cutter, Cool hand angle drill I can send you a picture if your interested?, 1800 pliers, 1906 tire gauge, a metal cleaner pot where you submarge tools to clean, vintage micrometer, Craftman flaring too in box from the 50's or 60's. vintage small ax, early 1900 device you hang a rope on to get a straight line in original leather case, early 1900's hand wood rasp for shaving down wood Beautiful wood handles on it, early air craft hand riveter, vintage adjustable drill bit, early 1900 ice spike tool, and a few other things along with the two baseball cards. If you are interested in seeing picture of them let me know will most likely sell everything I pick up there, except the Cj Bender.
Old 08-13-2022, 01:50 PM

Default Inquiring snarky minds want to know :

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordecaibrown1 View Post
Bob I bought a ton of stuff there to name a few things. 1980 Topps baseball Coin Set looks like a complete set. 1950 Two toy Pistols, 1880 rope hook, & something similar to the hook also turn of the century. 1940 music box player, 1800 candle cutter to put out candles, 1900 cookie cutter, Cool hand angle drill I can send you a picture if your interested?, 1800 pliers, 1906 tire gauge, a metal cleaner pot where you submarge tools to clean, vintage micrometer, Craftman flaring too in box from the 50's or 60's. vintage small ax, early 1900 device you hang a rope on to get a straight line in original leather case, early 1900's hand wood rasp for shaving down wood Beautiful wood handles on it, early air craft hand riveter, vintage adjustable drill bit, early 1900 ice spike tool, and a few other things along with the two baseball cards. If you are interested in seeing picture of them let me know will most likely sell everything I pick up there, except the Cj Bender.

... .....When was the last time you were actually able to fit a car into your garage ?
You remind me of a half dozen guys I know. Nice haul , though , wow.

Old 08-13-2022, 02:12 PM

Wow. What an awesome find!
Old 08-13-2022, 02:33 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

anthonyn.jpg

When you get it...

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 08-13-2022, 03:19 PM
Sam Dodero

Default Garage Fine

Mike I only have a three car garage and one spot for a classic Porsche but I have 7 cars in the family. Funny I went to the next garage sale and a older lady pull out a box of about 300 cards, mix sports she said she will call me later about them. Maybe in stead of battling each other in the auctions this is an easier way to obtain cards?
Old 08-13-2022, 03:22 PM
Sam Dodero

Default Garage Find

This the other baseball item from the first garage sale

Old 08-13-2022, 08:17 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Holy cow! Sounds like some great pickups Sam. That must have been one heck of a garage sale.

Great to hear you have some interest in old tools. I grew up in a house that my great, great grandfather had originally built, and was then added on to and modernized somewhat over the years. His tool chest (and I do mean chest, as it was a literally a wooden chest about '6 to '7 long, by about '3 tall, and about 3' deep) with all his tools in it was in my attic growing up. He ran a drydock and maintained and repaired canal boats on the Ohio Canal back in the early to mid-1800s, in what is now part of the Cuyahoga Valley National Park. There is a marker on the towpath in the park showing where the dry dock was located at, just a little ways down the street from where my childhood home was, right across from the 11-mile lock that is still in place. The tools were oversized wood and metal, and especially made for working on the canal boats. Unbelievable shape for their age. Unfortunately, when my grandparents, who lived next door, and my parents all moved out back in the 70s, because the National Park Service wanted to take over and remove the residents and houses from the newly created National Park, my family donated the tools and tool chest to the National Park Service, who was supposed to then use it for display in a sort of historical village they were going to erect in another part of the new National Park. Typical government though, lied about it, never did the development, and years later when I went to various offices/locations in the park and asked park personnel what ever happened to the tools, nobody knew anything. My government tax dollars at work.

And especially glad to hear you may have rescued some old tools that otherwise could have just been discarded. Who knows what historical importance they may have had. The only thing left from my old house was a pair of metal ice skates that you would clip onto your shoes/boots to then go ice skating with. They were probably from the late 1800s/very early 1900s, and I used to play with and try to use them on a local pond or two when I was young. For whatever reason, the park service did, and still does, have them displayed at the Canal Visitor Center in Valley View, on a part of the still existing Ohio Canal. The only things apparently still left from the old tools and items my family had donated. What a waste. I doubt there would have been many, if any, complete surviving tools sets from people who worked on the Erie or Ohio Canal canal boats from back in the day. No one in the family ever thought to take pictures of the tools and the chest because we believed the government, and expected everything donated to end up on display one day. Like I said, so much for trusting and believing a branch of our federal government!!!
Old 08-13-2022, 10:24 PM
Sam Dodero

Default Bob great Story

Bob thanks for sharing that story! Yes too bad about the vintage tools, but at least they still have the ice skates. As far as the tools, I had many vintage tools handed down from my dad who had them from his dad. I still use many of them today in my business. So I am always on the hunt for tools. The person I bought the tools from at the garage sale had tools and other neat items all the way back to the Civil war handed down through his family all these years, including that 1914 CJ Bender.
Old 08-13-2022, 11:05 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Bob thanks for sharing that story! Yes too bad about the vintage tools, but at least they still have the ice skates. As far as the tools, I had many vintage tools handed down from my dad who had them from his dad. I still use many of them today in my business. So I am always on the hunt for tools. The person I bought the tools from at the garage sale had tools and other neat items all /the way back to the Civil war /handed down through his family all these years, including that 1914 CJ Bender.
That is fantastic to hear. And also great to hear that you can keep and use such old tools They clearly do not make things like they used to.

In my case, had I known then what I know now, I would have squirreled away some of the tools and items from the house for myself, and made sure to at least get pictures of everything. Oh well, I can still reminisce at least.

And again, great pickups for you. I'd love to run across a garage sale like that. Last good deal I came across was at a flea market this past Memorial Day weekend. Got a complete, nice condition 9/1/41 Life Magazine with Ted Willams on the cover, along with a 1969, Jim Beam commemorative baseball whiskey decanter, for a combined $25. Nowhere near as great what you came across, but was cool for me.
Old 08-14-2022, 07:45 AM

Default Care to share

how negotiations went down for the '14 CJ? Unless I missed it in the thread. Or the backstory of how the owner came int possession of the card.
Old 08-14-2022, 09:47 AM
pete ullman

What part of the country?
Old 08-14-2022, 09:48 AM
Sam Dodero

Default CJ bender

Pete, see above in this thread as to how it happened.
He was an older man who had many things passed down from grandfather to his Dad and finally to him.
Some things were passed down from his Great grandfather going back
to the Civil War that he showed me.
From what he told me the CJ Bender was in his family pretty much from
back around 1914.
Old 08-14-2022, 01:16 PM
Sam Dodero

Default Part of County

Pete Midwest
Old 09-09-2022, 05:35 AM
Sam Dodero

Default A little Pub!

A little Pub!

https://www.sportscollectorsdaily.co...d-garage-sale/
Old 09-09-2022, 08:17 AM
John Hanssen

Nice pickup!
Love it when your daydreams of rare baseball card fines really true.