NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-12-2022, 02:55 PM
Daniel R.

Default PSA 2 with the Heart of a PSA 5

Long story short, I bought the below card for $63 on ebay this afternoon. When I saw my winning price, it seemed like a steal to me. although my collection normally adheres to pretty strict PSA 3-4 guidelines, in my eyes, this card was a PSA 5 if not for subtle (albeit somewhat large) crease in the middle. I tend to avoid creases at all costs, but to me the overall quality of the card totally trumped the somewhat visible crease (particularly for a 2 grade).

This got me thinking, is 2 a crazy grade for this card (or others like it)? Or is it really a pretty cut and dry rule of PSA that any creased t206 cannot get higher than a 2? I have seen so many PSA 3's who's overall condition and appeal seem worse than other 2's with a slight crease in them. Maybe I have my rose colored glasses on, but I feel this card deserves alot better grade.

I was wondering what everyone's thoughts were about how good of a deal I did/did not get, and a more general question on how you view creases in terms of grading and overall card appeal?

Cheers!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg conroy t206.jpg (171.3 KB, 451 views)
File Type: jpg conroy t206 2.jpg (176.9 KB, 452 views)

T206 HOF'ers: 3/76

Instagram: @TheRasmussenCollection

Last edited by drazz5; 08-12-2022 at 02:58 PM.
Old 08-12-2022, 03:27 PM
Robert Williams

I think that is a solid '2'. Let Sonny show you HIS '2' though. We subbed one in the group sub!

Old 08-12-2022, 03:35 PM
Daniel R.

Ha! that 2 grade seems criminal...even worse than mine. Did they potentially give a 2 instead of an A for trimming? Obviously hard to tell from a scan, but the card seems a bit short for the holder. Confusing since the card looks pretty flawless.

Old 08-12-2022, 06:14 PM
Lucio Barbarino
Lu.cio Barb.arino

I always think these kinds of threads are a little insane, no offense. There's only so much a 2D scan can show! Either of these card could have indentations we can't see.
Old 08-12-2022, 06:18 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by drazz5 View Post
Ha! that 2 grade seems criminal...even worse than mine. Did they potentially give a 2 instead of an A for trimming? Obviously hard to tell from a scan, but the card seems a bit short for the holder. Confusing since the card looks pretty flawless.
It looks awfully short and likely trimmed to my eyes too. But I am not seeing what got it 2, there must be a wrinkle or crease I can’t see.
Old 08-12-2022, 07:01 PM

Default PSA 2 with heart of a 5

Some of these comments are a perfect example of what has gone wrong with
grading (in my opinion, anyway). If people "can't see" flaw "x", how in the
*@$#* is it a devastating flaw in the first place? If the grader has to look
THAT hard, how does the barely detectable flaw cripple the grade? Reminds
me of Seinfeld episodes in which Jerry had to hunt for the most absurd reason
to fault a new love interest. In our cases, we are now going out of our way to
find "flaws" we can't see, then questioning why the card hasn't been roto
rooted by some dude with an xray machine and an electron microscope!
Some of us are asking the wrong questions.

Trent King
Old 08-12-2022, 07:55 PM
Ron Rice

Default Psa 2

That Conroy is a great card, and you got a good deal on it. I like the centering and the corners.

Regarding the Thebo, I've noticed that PSA will downgrade a T206 to a PSA 2 if there is any evidence of glue residue from scrapbook removal. You can feel the residue with your fingers but often can't see it in a scan. I've seen a few where I was able to soak off the residue and send it back in for a higher grade. If you can't see any wrinkles and can't feel any residue or indentations after you crack it out of the case, then submit it again to PSA for better results. I had one PSA 2 that turned into a PSA 6.
Old 08-12-2022, 07:55 PM
Ron Rice

Default Psa 2

That Conroy is a great card, and you got a good deal on it. I like the centering and the corners.

Regarding the Thebo, I've noticed that PSA will downgrade a T206 to a PSA 2 if there is any evidence of glue residue from scrapbook removal. You can feel the residue with your fingers but often can't see it in a scan. I've seen a few where I was able to soak off the residue and send it back in for a higher grade. If you can't see any wrinkles and can't feel any residue or indentations after you crack it out of the case, then submit it again to PSA for better results. I had one PSA 2 that turned into a PSA 6.

Last edited by Bridwell; 08-12-2022 at 07:56 PM. Reason: duplicate
Old 08-13-2022, 12:11 AM
Daniel R.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridwell View Post

Thanks! Appreciate the input. That’s great advice regarding the glue. I have another McIntyre that looks flawless but got a 1.5 because of major glue on the back. Been trying to get up the courage to crack and soak it (I’ve never done it before), but hopeful it’ll get me a way better grade.

Old 08-13-2022, 12:14 AM
Daniel R.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClementeFanOh View Post

Trent King
Couldn’t agree more, and I think you articulated the entire point of my post better than me. The fact that I was scrolling through the endless rough looking raw cards on eBay and immediately stopped and thought “wow that one looks way better than everything else”, should be an indicator that a 2 is a tough grade to the naked eye. Seems that sometimes we’re so focused on the minutia that the grading scale can miss the mark in the common sense department. Just glad im not the only one with that sentiment!

Last edited by drazz5; 08-13-2022 at 12:21 AM.
Old 08-13-2022, 04:32 AM
Scott Russell

I've gotten grades as high as 6 with subtle surface wrinkles and 3's and 4's with light creases used to be fairly common
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 08-13-2022, 06:29 AM
Glyn Parson

Quote:
Originally Posted by drazz5 View Post
Couldn’t agree more, and I think you articulated the entire point of my post better than me. The fact that I was scrolling through the endless rough looking raw cards on eBay and immediately stopped and thought “wow that one looks way better than everything else”, should be an indicator that a 2 is a tough grade to the naked eye. Seems that sometimes we’re so focused on the minutia that the grading scale can miss the mark in the common sense department. Just glad im not the only one with that sentiment!
I can’t disagree more technical grade and eye appeal should be two different things and have little effect on each other. The difference should be in price not grade. A two that looks like an 8 should sell at a premium but technical grade shouldn’t be improved. They aren’t the same thing.
Old 08-13-2022, 07:07 AM
octavio ranzola

These get bought up very fast great thread
Old 08-13-2022, 07:47 AM
Danny Gr|mes

Here’s one of mine. Only issue I see is the small staining at the top. I have a lot of these type cards in my collection. Usually at somewhat of a discount because of the grade (some one else’s opinion), I would pick these type of cards up all day long.

Danny

Last edited by refz; 03-09-2023 at 06:53 PM.
Old 08-13-2022, 12:10 PM

I've submitted a lot of Polar Bears, and unless there's something else, that would very likely come back with a 3/3.5. I can pick out some very minor chipping (I think) and of course registry misalignment, but those are allowed, especially when the everything else is strong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by refz View Post
Here’s one of mine. Only issue I see is the small staining at the top. I have a lot of these type cards in my collection. Usually at somewhat of a discount because of the grade (some one else’s opinion), I would pick these type of cards up all day long.

Danny
Old 08-13-2022, 06:47 PM
@ndrew woo.dfin

Crease and paper loss on back cause the grade. Looks like a nice card for the $$ though.

Member since 2009
Old 08-13-2022, 06:54 PM
Rob
Rob.ert We.ekes

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClementeFanOh View Post

Trent King
++1