NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Hockey, Olympic, Auto Racing And All Other Cards

Old 12-03-2021, 06:16 PM
Tim Odeen

Default Bought My First Gretzky Card

I bought a Gretzky RC last weekend from a board member, Mark who sells as American Legends. Thanks Mark. It arrived today. I'm very pleased, it looks great in hand. This is like my tenth hockey card, all my others are of Andy Moog.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Successful deals with: Banksfan14, Brianp-beme, Bumpus Jones, Dacubfan (x5), Dstrawberryfan39, Ed_Hutchinson, Fballguy, fusorcruiser (x2), GoCalBears, Gorditadog, Luke, MikeKam, Moosedog, Nineunder71, Powdered H20, PSU, Ronniehatesjazz, Roarfrom34, Sebie43, Seven, and Wondo
Old 12-03-2021, 06:20 PM
Will.i.@m $t@dy

SGC slabs are the greatest for Gretzky rookies, in my opinion. The blue just pops hard against the black. Congrats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you want a card, you might not get a deal. If you want a deal, you might not get a card.
Old 12-03-2021, 07:47 PM
Tim Odeen

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardPadre View Post
SGC slabs are the greatest for Gretzky rookies, in my opinion. The blue just pops hard against the black. Congrats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks, I like SGC and the tux far better than PSA. And I agree that the card looks nice against the black. We live in WA, and got to see an exhibition game with the Kraken. My 8yo decided he wanted to learn to skate and play hockey. His grandma took him to the card shop and he brought home hockey cards. I thought I'd grab the Gretzky now and give it to him someday when he's older. Maybe we can work on a Gretzky PC together. Or, if he grows out of cards, I can trade it for pre-war baseball.

Successful deals with: Banksfan14, Brianp-beme, Bumpus Jones, Dacubfan (x5), Dstrawberryfan39, Ed_Hutchinson, Fballguy, fusorcruiser (x2), GoCalBears, Gorditadog, Luke, MikeKam, Moosedog, Nineunder71, Powdered H20, PSU, Ronniehatesjazz, Roarfrom34, Sebie43, Seven, and Wondo

Last edited by todeen; 12-03-2021 at 07:49 PM.
Old 12-04-2021, 06:23 AM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by todeen View Post
Thanks, I like SGC and the tux far better than PSA. And I agree that the card looks nice against the black. We live in WA, and got to see an exhibition game with the Kraken. My 8yo decided he wanted to learn to skate and play hockey. His grandma took him to the card shop and he brought home hockey cards. I thought I'd grab the Gretzky now and give it to him someday when he's older. Maybe we can work on a Gretzky PC together. Or, if he grows out of cards, I can trade it for pre-war baseball.

Good for him!
My son was also 8 when he decided to play himself. We had asked years prior and he had no interest but when he had no friends to hang around with, because they were all playing hockey, he decided to give it a go.

He is now 20 and hasn't played for a couple/few years and really misses it but the memories will definitely last a life time.

Nice card, btw.
Old 12-04-2021, 08:25 AM
Tim Odeen

Quote:
Originally Posted by irv View Post
Good for him!

My son was also 8 when he decided to play himself. We had asked years prior and he had no interest but when he had no friends to hang around with, because they were all playing hockey, he decided to give it a go.

He is now 20 and hasn't played for a couple/few years and really misses it but the memories will definitely last a life time.

Nice card, btw.
I grew up in Montana and all my friends played hockey. One had their birthday party on the ice rink. I hated it. That's when I decided that baseball was pretty much the best sport ever to play, and hockey was good to watch.

I took my boy to open skate last weekend to practice, and there were a a few young couples on the ice. I thought if nothing else I'm giving him an opportunity to take a girl on a cool date that other boys might be unable to copy.

Old 12-04-2021, 09:17 AM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
I grew up in Montana and all my friends played hockey. One had their birthday party on the ice rink. I hated it. That's when I decided that baseball was pretty much the best sport ever to play, and hockey was good to watch.

I took my boy to open skate last weekend to practice, and there were a a few young couples on the ice. I thought if nothing else I'm giving him an opportunity to take a girl on a cool date that other boys might be unable to copy.

Yep, and it's just like riding a bicycle. Once you learn you never forget.
My son, wanting to catch up skill and skating wise to his friends, never missed an opportunity for stick and puck, hockey camps and whatever else he could do to achieve that.
Luckily he was a natural, imo, as he was a quick learner and became a great hockey player making the select teams and making Rep A hockey his first tryout.
The social aspect like making new friends, learning team play and sportsmanship was unmeasurable, imo. Watching my son grow in all of these areas alone was well worth the cost as well.
What they learn, the spoils of victory and the agony of defeat, is carried over into adulthood too, which again, imo, is also immeasurable.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Walker with A Champs Cup.jpg (33.1 KB, 155 views)
Old 12-05-2021, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Good for him!

Nice card, btw.
My son is 18 and just finished his last year of high school hockey. It's been rough lol. My daughter is still playing in college though, but she's out for the rest of the season with a torn labrum. Between that and the break from Covid I'm in hard core withdrawal.

Just noticed the Ontario location (I'm slow. ;-)

My daughter played for an U22-AA team outside of Toronto for a couple of years before college.

Last edited by TheAck; 12-05-2021 at 09:57 PM.
Old 12-05-2021, 09:50 PM

Great looking card. I really need one. ;-)
Old 12-06-2021, 03:03 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAck View Post
My son is 18 and just finished his last year of high school hockey. It's been rough lol. My daughter is still playing in college though, but she's out for the rest of the season with a torn labrum. Between that and the break from Covid I'm in hard core withdrawal.

My daughter played for an U22-AA team outside of Toronto for a couple of years before college.
Sorry to hear about your daughter. Hopefully she has a speedy recovery!

Speaking of withdrawal, it took me a couple years to get use to the fact my son was no longer playing either.
I was an assistant coach/trainer so I had some chores but I also miss that as well as being on the bench.
My son's currently in Durham College, Oshawa, but due to covid, there isn't much action there either, unfortunately.
Old 12-06-2021, 06:22 PM

Between this and Covid she might get an extra two years if she wants, lol. Got to always look on the bright side. There was a kid at the restaurant I was at last night from a local junior team.. I had to restrain myself from sitting down at the table and asking about his last game. ;-)
Old 12-07-2021, 05:01 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Between this and Covid she might get an extra two years if she wants, lol. Got to always look on the bright side. There was a kid at the restaurant I was at last night from a local junior team.. I had to restrain myself from sitting down at the table and asking about his last game. ;-)
LOL.

Prior to covid, as they are always looking for trainers it seems, I was seriously considering putting my name out there to see what would happen?
Truthfully, I was hoping for a younger team so I could lace them up again.
When my son was in Midget, there were no practices, unfortunately.
Old 12-07-2021, 09:08 PM
Tim Odeen

Quote:

Ice skating teacher told me my son needed another round of skate lessons before he could progress to hockey level 1. He asked Santa for skates for Christmas, so Santa better deliver. He also asked for a Krakens jersey. I told my son that Gretzky was a fantastic skater, so another round of lessons would be okay.

Old 12-09-2021, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Ice skating teacher told me my son needed another round of skate lessons before he could progress to hockey level 1. He asked Santa for skates for Christmas, so Santa better deliver. He also asked for a Krakens jersey. I told my son that Gretzky was a fantastic skater, so another round of lessons would be okay.

Skating lessons are huge. I spent almost as much on lessons as I did on team fees. There's always something to work on.
Old 12-09-2021, 11:46 AM

Quote:
LOL.

Prior to covid, as they are always looking for trainers it seems, I was seriously considering putting my name out there to see what would happen?
Truthfully, I was hoping for a younger team so I could lace them up again.
When my son was in Midget, there were no practices, unfortunately.

We were lucky here... a lot of teams don't practice at midget, but my son's organization had 1 a week. I can't even stand on skates so no issues there. ;-)
Old 12-17-2021, 08:04 PM
T!.m H.
Tim Hu,nt

Girls love skate dates and you always get to hold hands...lol
Successful B/S/T deals with asoriano, obcbobd, x2dRich2000, eyecollectvintage, RepublicaninMass, Kwikford, Oneofthree67, jfkheat, scottglevy, whitehse, GoldenAge50s, Peter Spaeth, Northviewcats, megalimey, BenitoMcNamara, Edwolf1963, mightyq, sidepocket, darwinbulldog, jasonc, jessejames, sb1, rjackson44, bobbyw8469, quinnsryche, Carter08, philliesfan and ALBB, Buythatcard and JimmyC so far.
Old 12-19-2021, 05:40 PM
Eric Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalupacollects View Post
It's true. Just ask Happy Gilmore.

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)
1956 Topps Baseball (189/342)

"You can observe a lot by just watching."
- Yogi Berra
Old 12-19-2021, 05:56 PM
Tim Odeen

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalupacollects View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric72 View Post
It's true. Just ask Happy Gilmore.
I told my wife I was thinking about taking lessons at the same time as my son, and then almost immediately she told me how attractive I was. Now I don't think I can back out. She already knows how to skate.