NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 11-29-2013, 03:45 PM
Mike Navarro

Default The most talented "team" in basketball history project, EWING signed, down to 1 to go

I consider the USA Men's Olympic Basketball Team AKA The Dream Team, to be the most talented grouping of players ever on one squad. I've wanted to get a team signed piece for some time, but almost every one of them I've seen over the years has been bogus. However, I saw a partial signed Dream Team piece at Heritage earlier this year that I felt was real, and I picked it up as a project piece in the hope that I could finish it off. It was already signed by Bird, Magic, Laettner, Barkley, Drexler, Mullin, Pippen and Robinson but was missing the "tough" ones. Has some of those holograms from those players signings on the back (thankfully not on the front ) Since then, I've added Jordan through Upper Deck Authenticated (however UDA put their hologram on the front, but at least it's kinda see through and doesn't really detract, my own fault as I just assumed they'd throw it on the back with the others) and was able to add Stockton (who up until his book tour from the last couple of months, was a VERY tough graph) from his recent signing at Deseret Books in Salt Lake City, Utah. It will be on it's way tomorrow to Steiner, for their upcoming signing with the very difficult Patrick Ewing, and then I will send it to a friend that works in the NBA to finish it off for me with Malone.

Will be a stellar piece once I get it complete, and a lot tougher than most people realize due to the large number of fakes on the market.

Last edited by thenavarro; 12-24-2013 at 11:34 AM.
Old 11-29-2013, 04:55 PM
J0n@th@n P@rker

Wow Awesome piece. You can barley notice the UD sticker.
Old 11-30-2013, 08:48 PM

Very nice!
Old 12-03-2013, 09:35 AM
M@tt Schw@de

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenavarro View Post
I consider the USA Men's Olympic Basketball Team AKA The Dream Team, to be the most talented grouping of players ever on one squad. I've wanted to get a team signed piece for some time, but almost every one of them I've seen over the years has been bogus. However, I saw a partial signed Dream Team piece at Heritage earlier this year that I felt was real, and I picked it up as a project piece in the hope that I could finish it off. It was already signed by Bird, Magic, Laettner, Barkley, Drexler, Mullin, Pippen and Robinson but was missing the "tough" ones. Has some of those holograms from those players signings on the back (thankfully not on the front ) Since then, I've added Jordan through Upper Deck Authenticated (however UDA put their hologram on the front, but at least it's kinda see through and doesn't really detract, my own fault as I just assumed they'd throw it on the back with the others) and was able to add Stockton (who up until his book tour from the last couple of months, was a VERY tough graph) from his recent signing at Deseret Books in Salt Lake City, Utah. It will be on it's way tomorrow to Steiner, for their upcoming signing with the very difficult Patrick Ewing, and then I will send it to a friend that works in the NBA to finish it off for me with Malone.

Will be a stellar piece once I get it complete, and a lot tougher than most people realize due to the large number of fakes on the market.

It's going to probably pain Patrick Ewing to sign that as he doesn't like to sign team-signed Dream Team items.
Old 12-03-2013, 11:19 AM
Is@ac Le.vin

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschwade View Post
It's going to probably pain Patrick Ewing to sign that as he doesn't like to sign team-signed Dream Team items.
I was thinking this. I think he even says during the Dream Team 30 for 30 ESPN documentary that he DOES NOT sign Dream Team stuff.

I have heard similar for Karl Malone
Old 12-03-2013, 11:50 AM
Mike Navarro

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaac2004 View Post
I was thinking this. I think he even says during the Dream Team 30 for 30 ESPN documentary that he DOES NOT sign Dream Team stuff.

I have heard similar for Karl Malone
We will find out shortly
Old 12-03-2013, 12:33 PM
And.rew Mil.ler

Why are they so against signing Dream Team stuff? Honestly, what do they care? Seems petty to me...am I missing something?
Old 12-03-2013, 12:56 PM
Mike Navarro

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7nohitter View Post
Why are they so against signing Dream Team stuff? Honestly, what do they care? Seems petty to me...am I missing something?
I don't know what their "stated" reason is, but I think a lot of superstar athletes:

1) have their ass kissed for so long that they just get detached from the basic reality that they put their pants on just like the rest of us, and they are used to be treated in a prima donna fashion, so they act like it

2) some of them are probably advised by their agents who are driven by the almighty dollar and who are used to sucking everyone else dry

3) because they can

4) some might want to have something unique for family members and/or close friends, so they'll only sign those items for them

Mike
Old 12-03-2013, 04:23 PM
And.rew Mil.ler

Quote:
I don't know what their "stated" reason is, but I think a lot of superstar athletes:

1) have their ass kissed for so long that they just get detached from the basic reality that they put their pants on just like the rest of us, and they are used to be treated in a prima donna fashion, so they act like it

2) some of them are probably advised by their agents who are driven by the almighty dollar and who are used to sucking everyone else dry

3) because they can

4) some might want to have something unique for family members and/or close friends, so they'll only sign those items for them

Mike
Makes sense Mike...especially #1...I really hope Ewing signs for you.
Old 12-04-2013, 07:43 AM

I think they would refuse to sign because they're under the impression it's not fair that you're making money off them. Because they always assume you'll sell it.

Meanwhile they've made their entire living making money off the fans who then ask them for their autograph.
Old 12-24-2013, 11:33 AM
Mike Navarro

Just got a text photo of my pieces from the Patrick Ewing Steiner signing. WOOHOO!!!!! 11 down, 1 to go. I should have this back in hand by early next week and will post a better pic at that time, but right now I'm pretty stoked. This piece is going to be INSANE and my best autograph project piece yet.

and here is it's little brother that I'm also working on (always good to have a backup )

Old 12-24-2013, 01:15 PM
Fra.nk Rein.stein

Congrats, got my Steiner piece back yesterday. Happy with my piece, but I see why he doesn't like to sign autographs-he can barely spell.
Old 12-28-2013, 01:44 PM
Mike Navarro

Got it back today

Old 12-28-2013, 02:42 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

That is a hell of a piece, Mike. I hope you get Malone. I cannot imagine he'd refuse a request through a personal contact for an actual fan, but you never can tell with celebrities.

It's funny what an about-face he did: Malone used to be a great TTM signer. I sent in a Hoops card for TTM signing many years ago. He signed it after several months but it came back with a typed note stating [ironically] that the Mailman was going to stop signing items through the mail due to overwhelming demand.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 01-03-2014, 10:34 AM
Is@ac Le.vin

Just curious, but can you give me an idea of how much you have put into it at this point? I am interested in picking up a partial piece and want to know what I am getting myself into.
Old 01-03-2014, 01:25 PM
Mike Navarro

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaac2004 View Post
Just curious, but can you give me an idea of how much you have put into it at this point? I am interested in picking up a partial piece and want to know what I am getting myself into.

Isaac,

Right now, I have approximately $1800.00 into it, but if you have a way of getting Jordan without going through Upper Deck Authenticated, that could be a huge savings as I had to basically pay $1,000 plus shipping just for Jordan.

A word of warning though if you are planning on going through Upper Deck Authenticated- Jordan will NOT sign everything, so you need to have your item pre-approved prior to sending it. I've got a feeling that if your item is not on his standard list (IE, if it's a multi signed, non Upper Deck piece), that you might not be able to get him to do it.

Also, Stockton, Malone, and Ewing are VERY tough to get. Ewing just finished and is doing another Steiner signing in January, but until then, he was dang near impossible, and Stockton just wrapped up a small book tour in which it was possible to get him, but other than that, he doesn't generally sign either. Malone is tough as well as he doesn't do shows either.

If you don't have those 3 on your initial piece already, you are going to have a tough time completing it unless you have connections somewhere.

Mike
Old 01-03-2014, 01:47 PM
Is@ac Le.vin

Quote:
Isaac,

Right now, I have approximately $1800.00 into it, but if you have a way of getting Jordan without going through Upper Deck Authenticated, that could be a huge savings as I had to basically pay $1,000 plus shipping just for Jordan.

A word of warning though if you are planning on going through Upper Deck Authenticated- Jordan will NOT sign everything, so you need to have your item pre-approved prior to sending it. I've got a feeling that if your item is not on his standard list (IE, if it's a multi signed, non Upper Deck piece), that you might not be able to get him to do it.

Also, Stockton, Malone, and Ewing are VERY tough to get. Ewing just finished and is doing another Steiner signing in January, but until then, he was dang near impossible, and Stockton just wrapped up a small book tour in which it was possible to get him, but other than that, he doesn't generally sign either. Malone is tough as well as he doesn't do shows either.

If you don't have those 3 on your initial piece already, you are going to have a tough time completing it unless you have connections somewhere.

Mike

Thats good to know, I was looking at an item that had Malone and Stockton on it, but hardly anyone else. Thinking it might be not that bad if I can luck into a Ewing. Shame on the Jordan though, $1K is insane
Old 01-04-2014, 07:29 AM

Awesome piece.

Funny how those 3 players are the 3 tuffest, but Magic, Bird, Jordan (for a price) are totally willing to sign.

The Dream Team elevated all of these guys to an even more elite status, you'd think they'd all sign happily.

On a tangent, i went to Temple Univ. in the mid-90's and lived in the same dorm as the basketball team and was friendly with many of the players. i had each player (Jones, McKee, Brunson, etc) and coach Chaney sign a similar poster for me. next time i goto my parents house i'll take a picture of it. was a fun (yet slightly stressful) project having them all the sign, but ALL of them were more than happy to do it for me, especially Coach Chaney, who as you all know is a tuff guy (but a heart of gold).

Last edited by MVSNYC; 01-04-2014 at 07:34 AM.