NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-08-2004, 05:16 PM
Administrator

Default Boston to win Series, say 27.8% of 413 SABR members polled.

Posted By: Julie

26.4 picked S.L.; 12.8 picked N.Y. Most thought 6 or 7 games.

These pick %ages were followed by Huston, Anneheim, Minnesota, Atlanta and L.A. in that order.

Hey, that would be so great!

Old 10-08-2004, 06:31 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Gary B.

For long term Sox fans like me, it was pretty harrowing as the Red Sox had a nice comfortable lead against the Angels 6-1, only to have it dissolve to a tie by a grand slam from Vlad. For Sox fans, it's not just a bad break, they see echoes of previous years, see the whole thing crumble before their eyes, envision them not just losing, but losing the next two games and once again have certain victory stolen from them at the last minute.

Alas, it was not to be, as David Ortiz pulled out a walk-off home run in the 10th to give the Sox the sweep.

Could this be the year? The miracle year we've been waiting for, for 86 years? Personally, I hope they don't have the face the Yankees, but regardless, it won't be an easy path, as I'd be surprised if they didn't end up facing St. Louis if they make it to the big series. That would be quite an exciting slugfest - Sox vs. Cards.

Go Red Sox! Embattled and embittered, we still believe...

Old 10-08-2004, 06:39 PM
Administrator

Old 10-08-2004, 06:44 PM
Administrator

Old 10-08-2004, 07:37 PM
Administrator

Posted By: tbob

No way the Sox beat the Cardinals. St. Louis has a true murderer's row and it overcomes its mediocre pitching. The Sox CAN beat Minnesota and New York, but not St. Louis. If by some fluke the Braves or Astros make it to the series, though, it will be a different story. The Redbirds have a stacked hand along with the most underrated manager in baseball, Tony LaRusso.

Old 10-08-2004, 07:57 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Pcelli60

The twinkies are toast, the angles have fallen..I wonder what twist these beloved red sox have in store? Enjoy the agony...

Old 10-08-2004, 08:12 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Kevin O

Unfortunately, Jayson Stark also picked the Sox. In case you're not paying attention, that's like having Don Corleone kiss you on the mouth.

Old 10-08-2004, 08:19 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Tim Mayer

I for one would not say a word if I were a sox fan,,lets win one before the celebration please...tweak, tweak

Old 10-08-2004, 08:22 PM
Administrator

not so boston....

Old 10-08-2004, 08:57 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

"I for one would not say a word if I were a sox fan,,lets win one before the celebration please..."

well, i have to enjoy the moment, because after being disappointed so many times before, i know it could easily be pulled away at any moment. for a sox fan, to have won the division series, and to be two series away from the ultimate goal, at least the goal is within sight, as opposed to game 1 in april after having blown it in october, where it's just a long hard road ahead. i have faith, but i'm also pragmatic. i would be shocked if they made it all the way, just because of history if nothing else. but this stupid curse has to end at some point, they have to make it all the way at SOME point, and right now we're in a position where it's possible, so i'm enjoying the moment, having faith and holding on for dear life.

Old 10-08-2004, 09:47 PM
Administrator

Posted By: qualitycards

Means that 72.2% says they won't!

Old 10-08-2004, 11:06 PM
Administrator

Posted By: tbob

With Santana pitching Saturday at home, the Twins are still hanging in there. Santana vs. Vasquez? Hmmm, I'll take my home boys to extend the series and go to Game 5 in the Big Apple. Radke vs. Mussina. Radke is sooo due. The problem is that Torre is the Napoleon of managing and Gardenslug is the Pvt. Gomer Pyle.
Still if the Twins make it to NY, anything could happen. I don't care what the Red Sox fans say, they definitely would rather play the Twins.

Old 10-08-2004, 11:06 PM
Administrator

together, the largest % chose Boston.

Well, one team down, two to go...

Old 10-08-2004, 11:28 PM
Administrator

Posted By: qualitycards

TBOB - keep in mind that Santana will be pitching on 3 days rest. he has not done this all year. And while he is a stud, that may work against him. Plus Vasquez is due for a good performance, he hasn't yet lived up to expectations.

Old 10-08-2004, 11:43 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bill Cornell

Also keep in mind that the Yankees pounded Santana the other night - swing at the first pitch and he's not dominant. If they didn't turn 5 DP's, the Twins lose that game, too.

I really hate the Metrodome.

Old 10-08-2004, 11:43 PM
Administrator

I really hate reading this stuff,,, how do you argue against this logic?

Julie you are really cool, but it kills me to watch a smart person all excited that 26 percent of a group of baseball brains think the sox are gonna win it,,, This , is about as worthless as a Larry Frisch Ruth reprint,,,

Last I looked SABR doesn't hand out the world series trophy, do they?

The sox are good,,,no doubt, but the best team doesn't always win, and predictions mean nothing...

wouldn't it be all the sweeter to hold your breath for a few weeks,,,who knows, by then, you might have the bragging rights, but we are grasping at straws now,,,,

the division means nothing...no one remembers who loses in a world series half of the time, let alone who wins a division series,,,,

baseball playoffs are part skill, part management, and ugh hate to admit it, a little luck....

I don't count on the sox when luck is needed,,,,

bottomline to me,,,when Ortiz waddles up to the commisioner to get his mvp award I will be impressed,

when the Boston Globe reads...Sox WIn it All, I will be the first to say well done,,,but win something , please...

oh yeah...you should hope the Yanks win tomorrow, if you beat them, it will make it an even nicer victory,,,

you really need to send them home before all the trash talk goes away...

hey 25 or 26 more World Series and we will have a race,,,,

Old 10-08-2004, 11:53 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bill Cornell

We're going to need to limit Yankees fans to 5 word posts from here on, Tim. Papi Shrek does not waddle - he just moves slowly from side to side as he watches his majestic homeruns. You want Schilling & Pedro, you'll get 'em.

Can we please contract the entire AL Central?

Old 10-09-2004, 12:08 AM
Administrator

I live in CT, lots of Sox fans here, my Irish is up...

I know they are good,,,it will kill me if they do it,,

Old 10-09-2004, 12:11 AM
Administrator

oh yeah, schilling scares me, Pedro doen't we always hit him,,,remember , we are "his Daddy"

Old 10-09-2004, 12:14 AM
Administrator

have enough of soon, the Twins lost. Did get to see the end of Sox--Ammeheim. Or rather, kept screaming at Bob from the computer for the score, while I waited endlessly for paypal, because I've suddenly developed an "unconfirmed" address, and the guy who sold me an "Angel Heart" DVD wasn't taking kindly to it...

Think I'll go watch "The Barbarian Invasions" till 2:00 A.M. Haven't seen it in two weeks. Pas plus, pas moins. I think I'm learning French...even if nobody else does.

Old 10-09-2004, 06:55 AM
Administrator

Posted By: T206Monsta

“No way the Sox beat the Cardinals. St. Louis has a true murderer's row and it overcomes its mediocre pitching.”

It would be a great series to see the Sox and Cards (1967 rematch).

While Walker, Edmonds, Rolen, Pujols, and Renteria are an awesome heart of the order I wouldn't be so quick to throw the Sox in the hamper.

Good pitching beats good hitting and Shilling\Pedro will be as good as the Cards have faced. Likewise, the Cards have a great staff that matches up well to the Sox.

The Sox do play well as a team. To give the Sox some respect offensively they do have better numbers than the Cards in Batting Average, Hits, Doubles, Triples, Homeruns, Total Bases, RBI, BB, OBP (On-Base-Percentage), Slugging, and OPS (On-base-and Slugging Percentage). The Cardinals have better numbers than the Red Sox in two categories; Stolen bases and Strikeouts (thank you Mark Bellhorn – 177 a new record).

Actually, I like to hype the Cards "Murderer's Row" after all I can remember back to February 2002 when the "Greatest Show on Turf" from St. Louis gave that New England team a real fight in the championship.

Old 10-10-2004, 05:27 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

got shutout by mediocre Jose Lima. Can't do that too many times in the postseason. Good pitching stops good hitting.

Old 10-10-2004, 12:19 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Larry la la land

My prediction is that the 2 strongest teams will in fact meet in the World Series and it will go 6 games with Boston winning. I have $5000 on it. (Pray for me) Larry

Old 10-10-2004, 12:30 PM
Administrator

Old 10-10-2004, 03:02 PM
Administrator

With all due respect Larry...Your freakin nuts!!!!

Old 10-10-2004, 03:32 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Gary B.

I'm a big Red Sox fan and I wouldn't bet 5 bucks on them taking it all the way (then again, I'm not that much of a gambling man), but I do have faith that they can do it. I sure hope you can afford to lose five grand...