NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-14-2003, 08:47 PM
Administrator

Default buyer beware

Posted By: leon

I have never had one of these although almost bid on one once. I think we have had this discussion before. It's a fake, I believe.
best regards

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2710700332&category=31719

Old 02-14-2003, 10:24 PM
Administrator

Default buyer beware

Posted By: RobertS

HERE'S A RE-POSTING OF PART OF THE LAST DISCUSSION:

According to Bob Lemke's book, "Sportscard Counterfeit Detector" Kendig never released baseball cards.

Lemke writes on page 35 of his 1994 book:

"These cards should more accurately be classified among the fantasies than true counterfeits bacause the company never issued cards. However, since Kendig's did issue trading cards, and since most collectors and dealers are not all that familiar with legitimate issues of the 1910s, it seems appropriate to include these cards within the body of the book.

"These fantasies/counterfeits were first reported in late 1989, having surfaced at East Coast flea markets. Two players were reported seen on the cards, Babe Ruth and Ray Chapman; others most certainly exist.

"Card fronts were apparently copied from the 1916 Collins-McCarthy 'Baseball's Hall of Fame issue of 200 cards, with the exception that the card number from the originals was not included on the fakes. This might account for the fantasy cards measuring only 3 1/8 inches in length, rather than the 3 1/4 inches of genuine E-135s.

"Backs of the phony baseball cards appear to have been rubber-stamped, reproducing the typography and layout found on Kendig's 'Flags of The World' cards which were roughly contemporary with the Collins-MCcarthy.

"Genuine E-135s have a semi-gloss surface on the front. The purpoted Kendig's baseball cards are printed on porous paper which has been artificially aged"

That said, a few years ago a lot of four fake Kendigs were floating around on eBay, with several winning bidders returning the cards to the seller after seeing them. They were way too thin (with images showing right through) and the ink appeared brand new on the front, although the paper was made to look old.

...[extra stuff removed]...

I just wanted to bring this to light, as Lemke's 1994 Sportscard Counterfeit Detector book is out of print, although it still is listed on Amazon. As such, I assume most of you don't have a copy -- especially since it concentrated mainly on post-war cards (although there is an excellent section on the Babe Ruth Fro-Joys).

Cheers!

Old 02-15-2003, 06:34 AM
Administrator

Default buyer beware

Posted By: leon

I emailed the guy last night when I posted here. He has since cancelled the auction. I believe this board is invaluable for these type of things. NO doubt someone would have bid on that auction and got screwed...best regards all

Old 02-15-2003, 06:35 AM
Administrator

Default buyer beware

Posted By: Jay Miller

Leon---Nice Job!