NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 06-19-2008, 11:38 AM
Administrator

Default ??? About Ruth Underwear Box-

Posted By: Brock G.

I got this box top in the mail today and was a little thrown off. Other boxes I have seen in photos dont have the white border on top that mine does. The top of the box is entirerly green. Is mine a fake or is it just a different variation? Also the graphic on the box feels applied and not printed on the box. Is that the case in other Ruth underwear boxes? Thanks for the help.

Old 06-19-2008, 12:40 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Bretta

Never seen one like that...I'm going to guess that it's fake. It would be easy for a scammer to make a box like the one in your picture. A lot harder to fake the entire box.

Old 06-19-2008, 01:04 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jon Canfield

Actually, I think you're ok and it's not a fake although I believe it is not quite period. I believe there were two styles of the Ruth box, the "all green" was period and then your style was produced later. The main one you see is this one (image borrowed from the 2007 REA auction):

Photobucket

There is also this style which, I believe, is the style you bought. Here is one that sold in auction in 2007:

http://www.antiquehelper.com/item.php?itemID=38082

Photobucket

Notice on the photos of Ruth opening the underwear box, he is holding the "all green" box which I believe is the period piece.

Old 06-19-2008, 01:30 PM
Administrator

Posted By: MikePugeda

Jon,

It looks like both are all green with a little bit of white border. The auction pic you posted that is similar to Brock's and has a fat white border appears to have been flattened out and the white borders are the side panels.

There were probably different products that sold in two or more diff. style boxes. One is more square and the other more rectangular. Perhaps they are both period.

Edited to add: It appears as though part of the side panels on Brock's were cut away at some point.

Mike

Old 06-19-2008, 05:35 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mike H

The thing that bothers me about Brock's piece is the poor centering on the box that differs from the Halper example. The color looks a little off perhaps. I know there are two different sizes, but I am not sure if date or the size of the contents determined the box. Here is mine.
[IMG][/IMG]

Old 06-19-2008, 07:53 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brock G.

Thanks for the help fellas. Mine came unfolded just like the one Jon posted. I have the corners paper clipped together on mine so its formed like a box in the photo.
I didn't even realize that the boxes are shaped slightly different. The ones without the wide white border are definetly more square. Keep the info coming!

Old 06-19-2008, 09:42 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Tom Russo

I have had both types of boxes and currently own one similar to Brock's with the size stamped on the end flap of the box. The top picture does appear to be glued on and not particularly neatly as the glue has turned brown and is clearly seen around the edges. I cannot post a scan as I have packed up my collection for a move but the size of the white border, the color of glue, the gloss on the picture are all very similar to mine. If you have the two types side by side, it is obvious that the white border box is much more cheaply made. Perhaps a cost cutting move? After all, how strong does a box need to be to hold underwear?