NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 05-19-2012, 09:44 PM

Default 24x36 Inch Oil Painting for the Negro League Baseball Museum

I am doing a 24x36 inch painting for the Negro League Baseball Museum (NLBM) of the 20 Negro League players who played in a MLB ASG including Hall of Famers Willie Mays, Hank Aaron, Satchel Paige, Jackie Robinson, Roy Campanella, Frank Robinson and Ernie Banks. The painting is going to be made into prints that are sold with proceeds benefitting both the NLBM and us.
With a print at 16x20 inches that is signed by the 7 still living members of this group including Willie Mays, Hank Aaron, Frank Robinson and Ernie Banks, what is a cost you would be willing to pay?

EDIT:

Here is the completed piece!

The picture is pretty bad, but it is better than nothing!

Last edited by AbsolonMoreau; 06-27-2012 at 06:57 PM.
Old 05-19-2012, 11:30 PM

Part of this depends on how limited the print is (and whether or not Willie Mays signs his name over another players' face ).

Personally, I don't collect either Negro League memorabilia or autographs, but my price point would realistically be $200 for a signed print.

$499 would not be out of the question, though, if this were intended to raise funds and it was signed by the mentioned HOFers.

Good luck with the project and please post any images of the painting you might have!
Old 05-19-2012, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CW View Post
Part of this depends on how limited the print is (and whether or not Willie Mays signs his name over another players' face ).

Personally, I don't collect either Negro League memorabilia or autographs, but my price point would realistically be $200 for a signed print.

$499 would not be out of the question, though, if this were intended to raise funds and it was signed by the mentioned HOFers.

Good luck with the project and please post any images of the painting you might have!
Mays would end up signing it over his own body haha, he wouldn't be a d-bag for the NLBM. This would be to raise funds for the NLBM and it is going to be signed by those HOFers, just have to figure out a full price point.

Thanks a lot! I will post up images once I get some!
Old 05-20-2012, 07:57 AM
Chris Wood

Interesting and career building project for a young up and coming artist to be aligned with. Can't help you with price question and wouldnt want a print like this myself, but i thought i would offer a bit of unsoliticited advice - you may want to think twice about putting on the web comments that label a member and participant of your client's in the project as a "d bag".

Mays very well be just that, I have no idea, but if you are "working" with him or working with an organization that is working with him it isn't great PR for yourself to be throwing around disparaging remarks about his personality. Easy for the org to throw you off the project and find another artist.

Just my two cents. Good luck.
Old 05-20-2012, 01:34 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

He actually said Mays "wouldn't be a d-bag for the NLBM".

He never said he was one, or even inferred that he is one. He further said Mays would sign over his own body. I thought it was fine, and was worded ok... I don't think it crossed the line or contained anything incriminating... it made me smile.

Looking forward to seeing the subject work from this promising young artist!
Old 05-20-2012, 03:51 PM
Chris Wood

I wish him well as do I the organization and heck, Mays too.

Not a big deal, but I read that the OP was inferring that Mays would in this instance not be a d-bag (perhaps in deference to his reputation as a signer). I'll drop it. Good luck to the project!
Old 05-21-2012, 08:30 AM
James Graham
James Gra.ham

I think a $200-$300 price point would be fine. $199 if the print isn't truly limited.
"What I have done after my baseball career -- being able to help people with their lives and getting their lives back on track so they become productive human beings again -- that means more to me than all the things I did in baseball" - Don Newcombe

https://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/jgmp123
Old 06-27-2012, 07:00 PM

The painting has been put in the original post!
Old 06-27-2012, 09:44 PM

Very nice!
Old 06-27-2012, 09:57 PM
M@rk V3l@rd3

Nice job.
First, I think signed nicely I think they'll fetch in the $400 range. COuld be more or less depending on how limited the run is and how nice they sign.
Second, I have a question. Why did you paint Doby in an Oriole uniform. Considering that as a Cleveland Indian, he was the first African American in the American League, I think that would've been the obvious choice.

Best,
Mark

Other interests/sets/collectibles.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/96571220@N08/albums

My for sale or trade photobucket album
https://flic.kr/s/aHsk7c1SRL