NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 03-16-2013, 07:48 PM

Default MB Memories

Neat story, Randy. We were Braves fans and I got three Aarons in the first game I ever got. Thanks, Dad!

Still have all the cards from my original game but don't have that particular game board.

Hope this picture brings back some good memories for you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Three game boards.jpg (69.6 KB, 130 views)
Old 03-16-2013, 07:54 PM

Here's my favorite 1968 Topps card. I wish I could find one that had all the colors applied to it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Seaver1968Proof.JPG (70.0 KB, 129 views)
Old 03-16-2013, 08:30 PM
Randy Trierweiler

Great card Paul, here's mine, from the same sheet
Attached Images
File Type: jpg scan0003.jpg (74.5 KB, 130 views)
Old 03-16-2013, 08:49 PM

Default 6 Brinkman cards

Six Eddie Brinkman 1968 cards in chronological order:

1. Regular Brinkman, gold back, white letters, Jan-Feb 1968
2. O pee chee Brinkman, brown back, white letters, Jan-Feb 1968
3. Topps Milton Bradley Brinkman, yellow back, yellow letters, Apr 1968

The card is a beauty, looks flawless

4. Topps Milton Bradley Brinkman, yellow back, yellow letters, Apr 1968

Eddie was great with autographs before his untimely death in 2008. Had a smile as wide as the Mississippi when he signed this.

5. Topps Milton Bradley Brinkman/Winston Hill miscut, yellow back, yellow letters, Apr 1968.

One of my favorite MB cards. I call it the "missing link".

6. Topps Venezuelan Brinkman, brown mustard back, yellow letters, ? in 1968.

Note also the yellow letters!

Between Jan/Feb 1968 and the production of the MB cards in April, Topps corrected a huge mistake they made with the white letter Brinkman and Cox. Unlike all the other 1968 Washington Senators cards, those were the only two that did not have yellow letters. In the first series, the Ed Stroud #31 and Senators rookies #96 are always found with the proper yellow letters.

They continued to get it right with the Venezuelan issue. I am not an expert on that series but I assume they were produced around mid Spring.

In 1968 there were 10 different color schemes for the position/team circle on the front. The Giants also had the green circle/yellow letter scheme. Perhaps the same person who didn't tint in the Cox and Brinkman in series 1 decided to reprise his error in the 5th series with the #400 McCormick card.

I have looked a long time for 1968 Senators and Giants cards with white letters and haven't found any. I noticed the yellow letters on the Cox/Brinkman cards in the first MB game I got. It always bothered me that they were different from the regular 68s in my collection.

That would be a pretty good clinical definition of obsessive compulsive disorder.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3 Brinkman fronts, part 1.jpg (70.4 KB, 132 views)
File Type: jpg 3 Brinkman backs, part 1.jpg (74.7 KB, 132 views)
File Type: jpg 3 Brinkman fronts, part 2.jpg (66.6 KB, 132 views)
File Type: jpg 3 Brinkman backs, part 2.jpg (74.9 KB, 131 views)
Old 03-17-2013, 08:32 AM
Al Richter

Default Missing Link

Really a neat item Carlton.

And you certainly do have a disorder, but it is one shared by several folks around these parts
Old 03-17-2013, 09:21 AM
Larry More.y

Speaking of 1968 Topps, any ideas on why Topps did not include a team card for all of the teams for this year? Leaving out two popular teams from the north east area, and one popular team from the mid west does not make a lot of sense as these two areas were (are) two of the stronger regional areas of collectors. I can understand why the Astros were not included as there were apparently licensing issues with the team name (and logo). But why were the others excluded?

Last edited by savedfrommyspokes; 03-17-2013 at 09:21 AM.
Old 03-17-2013, 09:46 AM
Randy Trierweiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALR-bishop View Post
Really a neat item Carlton.

And you certainly do have a disorder, but it is one shared by several folks around these parts
What is this disorder you speak of? He seems perfectly normal to me
Old 03-17-2013, 11:45 AM

Default 43 years and counting

The lack of yellow tint in these two circles has bothered me since 1970.

I tell my patients the difference between obsessive compulsive personality and disorder is that the latter affects relationships and might include too much spending.

So yes, Al, most people on this board and diehard variation collectors could use 20 mg of paroxetine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1970 Kilkenny Martinez.jpg (78.5 KB, 112 views)
Old 03-19-2013, 12:19 AM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

My scan comes across very dark orangey, but in person both of these cards jump out for their yellowness as compared to the other cards on the page. The Colavito has the same miscut as the example in this thread. I believe these both may be Milton Bradley cards, but I am brand new to this game. Carlton and Al, what do you guys think?

After further thought, the scan really hides the true color features, so I added this new scan. For the sake of comparison, here are the same 2 cards bookending a non-Milton Bradley Seaver card:

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 03-16-2013, 08:34 PM
Randy Trierweiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by goheels View Post
Neat story, Randy. We were Braves fans and I got three Aarons in the first game I ever got. Thanks, Dad!

Still have all the cards from my original game but don't have that particular game board.

Hope this picture brings back some good memories for you.
Great pic Carlton, thanks. That Cardinal on the box front always reminded me of Mike Shannon and/or Phil Gagliano. I'm sure its just a generic Cardinal though.