NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-10-2019, 02:50 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Yes, thanks Peter, for posting that... It’s about as damning as evidence gets. I see no way that PWCC can survive this, assuming law enforcement is even somewhat monitoring this. The evidence looks irrefutable.

They ruined some truly great cards in that particular submission. And why the hell is PSA passing these cards, when over half of the submission is deemed altered? Even the most elementary system should’ve raised 15 red flags.
Old 07-10-2019, 02:56 PM
Peter Spaeth

Yeah separate and apart from Brent and PWCC, I have often wondered why at some point if they are seeing too many altered cards in a submission they don't just punt the whole submission back, note well who the submitter is, and ban the submitter or put future subs under special scrutiny. I don't know what goes on at that company.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 07-10-2019 at 02:56 PM.
Old 07-10-2019, 03:15 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Yeah separate and apart from Brent and PWCC, I have often wondered why at some point if they are seeing too many altered cards in a submission they don't just punt the whole submission back, note well who the submitter is, and ban the submitter or put future subs under special scrutiny. I don't know what goes on at that company.
Money, sonny. Everything is about money.

Arnold Rothstein: What's the secret of America? MONEY! Everything is MONEY, Charlie.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 07-10-2019, 05:16 PM
5t3v3...D4.w50n

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth

[QUOTE=Exhibitman;1897667]Money, sonny. Everything is about money.

Arnold Rothstein: What's the secret of America? MONEY! Everything is MONEY, Charlie.

So, they don't ban the person outright, but let them continue to submit. The TPG does however, put that person's submissions under extra special scrutiny (double-secret probation?). That way, the TPG still gets their money, even though they're sending the cards back to the person, ungraded/unslabbed.

Steve

Current Wantlist:
1909 Obak Howard (Los Angeles) (no frame on back)
1910 E90-2 Gibson, Hyatt, Maddox
Old 07-10-2019, 05:48 PM
Jay Cee

[QUOTE=Steve D;1897703]Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post

So, they don't ban the person outright, but let them continue to submit. The TPG does however, put that person's submissions under extra special scrutiny (double-secret probation?). That way, the TPG still gets their money, even though they're sending the cards back to the person, ungraded/unslabbed.

Steve
Private speculation or should I say what if they submit cards in holders which the graders can recognize. Then they get stuff passed/bumped and the graders gets a special thank you at a later date.

Last edited by BeanTown; 07-10-2019 at 07:37 PM. Reason: Better wording than Rumorville
Old 07-10-2019, 06:27 PM
John Wondowski

[QUOTE=BeanTown;1897712]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve D View Post
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth

Rumorville has it that they submit cards in holders which the graders can recognize. Then they get stuff passed/bumped and the graders gets a special thank you at a later date.
Wow - now we have hit bottom.
Old 07-10-2019, 06:37 PM
Ben North

[QUOTE=wondo;1897726]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeanTown View Post

Wow - now we have hit bottom.
How? not sure exactly what you are referring to so figured I would ask.
Old 07-10-2019, 06:52 PM
John Wondowski

My comment was a reaction to jay cee gossiping about totally corruption. “Rumorville”? Either there is some evidence of that activity or the post is irresponsible.
Old 07-10-2019, 06:59 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by wondo View Post
My comment was a reaction to jay cee gossiping about totally corruption. “Rumorville”? Either there is some evidence of that activity or the post is irresponsible.
That is what I though but figured I would ask. I somewhat agree with you at calling them out without proof. Could be a fact and he is not at liberty to give up his source.

My problem is could the graders really be that completely incompetent. If so how the hell does someone that worthless at their job keep it.
Old 07-10-2019, 07:08 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
If so how the hell does someone that worthless at their job keep it.
If they suspended or fired the graders that have graded all those submissions in the threads, they might not have anyone left? Are they researching which graders reviewed all of those submissions? I don't know.

They are unwilling to tell, so far, if they are Incompetent or Involved.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 07-10-2019, 07:34 PM
Jay Cee

A quick search shows PSA is currently seeking new graders. One of their bullets struck me as odd. "Sharing knowledge to help improve skill of PSA Grading Team" My first thought was they want new people to come in and help show them HOW to grade. You would think that PSA would have a training program and teach everyone how to be subjective and do it the same way everytime.

http://collectorsuniverse.com/Jobs/List/
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0141.jpg (69.9 KB, 616 views)
Old 07-10-2019, 07:45 PM
John Wondowski

It also says “Maintain quality of grading product” - not advance or improve. They must be confident in their current product.

Both Bulletpoint descriptions are fodder. To nitpick, dissect or assign meaning to either is silly.

Last edited by wondo; 07-10-2019 at 07:47 PM.
Old 07-10-2019, 07:46 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Remember, they are also having a "try your skills at grading" competition at the National. And according to their radio show this afternoon, you should expect there to be some counterfeits and/or altered cards within the cards you're supposed to grade.
Winner gets $1000, and maybe a callback?
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 07-10-2019, 08:01 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by wondo View Post
It also says “Maintain quality of grading product” - not advance or improve. They must be confident in their current product.

Both Bulletpoint descriptions are fodder. To nitpick, dissect or assign meaning to either is silly.
Other than how obsessed they are with "production goals" mentioning it twice.

Overall I'd be more concerned with getting things right over "production goals"
Old 07-10-2019, 08:01 PM
Jay Cee

And why do you need strong verbal communication skills? You are being hired because you have great eyes and know how to grade behind the curtain or closed doors which the public never sees. Not sure how having strong verbal skills helps grading other than them being popular among other graders in the back during break time.

Last edited by BeanTown; 07-10-2019 at 08:02 PM.
Old 07-10-2019, 08:20 PM
Kenny Cole

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarmee View Post
Remember, they are also having a "try your skills at grading" competition at the National. And according to their radio show this afternoon, you should expect there to be some counterfeits and/or altered cards within the cards you're supposed to grade.
Winner gets $1000, and maybe a callback?
Riiiight. Because PSA would obviously know. That has been proven beyond a doubt lately.
Old 07-10-2019, 08:24 PM
Peter Spaeth

The better gimmick would be to put the graders' skills on display.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 07-10-2019, 08:35 PM
Kenny Cole

Quote:
The better gimmick would be to put the graders' skills on display.
I would suggest that is absolutely what PSA doesn't want to do.
Old 07-10-2019, 08:36 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Cole View Post
I would suggest that is absolutely what PSA doesn't want to do.
I couldn't find the sarcasm font.

Old 07-10-2019, 08:59 PM
Scott Russell

Quote:

Yeah but a bad faith clause where they get to keep the money would solve that. To me it's incompetence from executive decision making, down to peon graders.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 07-10-2019, 09:43 PM

Hi everyone. There's a great scene in the movie Margin Call where Risk Analyst Peter Sullivan (played by Zachary Quinto) tells CEO John Tuld (played by Jeremy Irons) that if the company's assets of mortgage-backed securities were to drop by just 25% and remain on the books, that loss would be greater than the current market capitalization of the entire company.

With that in mind, I wonder if PSA were to pay out on their guarantee on every single altered card, if that payout would be greater than CLTC’s current market capitalization of $217M. Based on what I have read here and on Blowout Cards, I’m not confident it would not.
Old 07-11-2019, 09:00 AM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackwesq View Post
Hi everyone. There's a great scene in the movie Margin Call where Risk Analyst Peter Sullivan (played by Zachary Quinto) tells CEO John Tuld (played by Jeremy Irons) that if the company's assets of mortgage-backed securities were to drop by just 25% and remain on the books, that loss would be greater than the current market capitalization of the entire company.

With that in mind, I wonder if PSA were to pay out on their guarantee on every single altered card, if that payout would be greater than CLTC’s current market capitalization of $217M. Based on what I have read here and on Blowout Cards, I’m not confident it would not.
But they aren't paying on the guarantee. They've successfully deflected the responsibility back on the sellers, reducing their liability.

For example, card graded A =200 graded 5= 1000 graded 6= 2000

Instead of paying the owner 1800 for a card altered from a 5 to a 6, they have them return it, and maybe pay the scammer 800. Unless they have some excuse to not pay the seller, perhaps referring them back up the chain to whoever altered it who they probably don't have to pay.

Brilliant, but scummy.
Old 07-11-2019, 12:18 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
But they aren't paying on the guarantee. They've successfully deflected the responsibility back on the sellers, reducing their liability.

Instead of paying the owner 1800 for a card altered from a 5 to a 6, they have them return it, and maybe pay the scammer 800. Unless they have some excuse to not pay the seller, perhaps referring them back up the chain to whoever altered it who they probably don't have to pay.

Brilliant, but scummy.
I think it is brilliant also. The problem is like we seen on here with the T3 Cobb and Dan McKee. If the sale wasn't through eBay and recent enough for eBay/PayPal to force a refund the cards owner is out of other options. With private sales and older sales the seller just tells the buyer to pound sand.
Old 07-11-2019, 01:06 PM
Don

Quote:
Unless they have some excuse to not pay the seller, perhaps referring them back up the chain to whoever altered it who they probably don't have to pay.

I think that's the strategy because it's a violation of their TOS to knowingly submit altered cards. So, if they can push the refunds back to the submitter, they won't have to pay anything.
Old 07-11-2019, 03:59 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Class action suit will follow...

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 07-11-2019, 05:51 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
We can only hope...
Old 07-12-2019, 04:51 PM
Peter Spaeth

Joe D turns over a new Leaf.

https://www.blowoutforums.com/showpo...postcount=4137

Old 07-12-2019, 08:14 PM
Peter Spaeth

Mercy another whitewashed Leaf Jackie graded by SGC.

https://www.blowoutforums.com/showpo...postcount=4141

Old 07-12-2019, 10:05 PM

Quote:

Brilliant, but scummy.
And there's a very simple solution - stop buying graded cards. Period. Full stop. Never buy another graded card in your life. And you will solve this problem.

But no one will do that.

So PSA, Moser and PWCC will win.
Old 07-13-2019, 12:10 AM
Dave_Berg

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMPEP View Post
And there's a very simple solution - stop buying graded cards. Period. Full stop. Never buy another graded card in your life. And you will solve this problem.

But no one will do that.

I understand the sentiment, but the statement that card alterations would disappear if we stopped buying graded cards- is wishful thinking at best.

Last edited by Stonepony; 07-13-2019 at 12:43 AM.
Old 07-13-2019, 02:55 AM
P. Sp.ec.tor

Quote:
You know what's really interesting (for me, anyway)? I like that card better as a 1 Poor. Has more character. The doctoring really sucked the life out of it.
Old 07-13-2019, 05:58 AM
Johnny MaZilli

Quote:

But no one will do that.

That’s correct and you and I both know this will never happen....people are gonna have to accept the fact the industry is loaded with fraud and manipulation or move on and find a new hobby to be passionate about it’s sad.....to many people are making money so they keep hush....
Old 07-13-2019, 06:49 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

Quote:
Oh a civil lawsuit?
Old 07-13-2019, 06:50 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonepony View Post
I understand the sentiment, but the statement that card alterations would disappear if we stopped buying graded cards- is wishful thinking at best.
It will go down drastically as the easy money incentive with disappear.
Old 07-13-2019, 06:53 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:
Mercy another whitewashed Leaf Jackie graded by SGC.

https://www.blowoutforums.com/showpo...postcount=4141
another on the 5k or more profit list.
Old 07-13-2019, 12:23 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonepony View Post
True- alterations will never disappear, but would definitely be lessened to a large degree. The risk/reward payoff for card doctors and corrupt dealers would take a giant hit. The reason that Moser and others are doing this in such huge volume, is attributed to the huge paybacks they receive for a single numerical bump. Without the grading insanity, their ROI would be a fraction of what they are currently getting by manipulating the TPGs.

In addition, collectors would pay a hell of a lot less for any mistakes made than they're paying now. The current situation is simply "minting" tons of money for Doctors, Dealers and the TPGs. Perhaps it's time that the balance of power shifted away from them, and back to the collector.
Old 07-13-2019, 05:27 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:

But no one will do that.

I've bought very few. probably under 20. I have sent some to SGC to be graded, but not for a while.
Old 07-13-2019, 05:45 PM
Peter Spaeth

Default Cleaned T206 SGC Young in current PWCC

Grade unchanged, but apparent stain removal, same National submission as cards previously identified as cleaned, a Leaf Jackie and a CJ Joe Jackson.

https://www.blowoutforums.com/showthread.php?t=1306000

Old 07-18-2019, 04:48 AM
Peter Spaeth

Default Leaf Ted Williams trimmed

https://www.blowoutforums.com/showpo...postcount=4277

Old 07-19-2019, 10:35 AM
Johnny MaZilli

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
True- alterations will never disappear, but would definitely be lessened to a large degree. The risk/reward payoff for card doctors and corrupt dealers would take a giant hit. The reason that Moser and others are doing this in such huge volume, is attributed to the huge paybacks they receive for a single numerical bump. Without the grading insanity, their ROI would be a fraction of what they are currently getting by manipulating the TPGs.

In addition, collectors would pay a hell of a lot less for any mistakes made than they're paying now. The current situation is simply "minting" tons of money for Doctors, Dealers and the TPGs. Perhaps it's time that the balance of power shifted away from them, and back to the collector.
Very very well said.....I’m in full agreement 😊
Old 07-19-2019, 11:14 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny630 View Post
Very very well said.....I’m in full agreement 😊

They are even doing it on cheap cards and making $50!

Maybe those were a swing and a miss, but doubtful any card that could be conserved wasnt

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 07-21-2019, 11:28 PM
K@t Alex@nder

Quote:

But no one will do that.

That's a naive take in my opinion. Everything isn't just black and white. There's an in-between. What about those of us who were new to collecting and paid the money to preserve and grade our legitimate cards only to get 1's and 2's because we had no clue this stuff was going on?

Personally, I was new to all of this in the last decade. Here's a bit of a glimpse to the other side. I'm sure we're not the only people with this experience. My dad and I had a growing collection and when trying to navigate what to do with our cards we saw "oh wow PWCC/Probstein/Novella have the same cards as us, they're crappy looking but got a 7 or 8 and sold for ridiculous amounts, surely our cards will get a better grade!" We learned the hard way, especially with PSA. It didn't matter what our cards looked like. Because we were submitting a mere 10 at a time no way in hell were we getting grades like those submitting 100 cards at a time. That's why we switched to SGC.

At the end of the day there are many people out there like me who had their unaltered cards graded completely unaware of what was going on behind the scenes. Some of us actually have legit graded cards. They're not all involved in this mess. Don't hate on those of us who have followed the rules and stayed true to our hobby.
Old 07-22-2019, 01:56 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

There's still a ton of information that has yet to come out before we know how deep this really goes. This is just the infancy stage. Some rather interesting new quotes, and damning implications pertaining to the TPGs on pages 177 and 178 of the Blowout Mantle/PWCC thread.

Link...

https://www.blowoutforums.com/showth...90614&page=177
Old 07-23-2019, 02:10 PM
Peter Spaeth

N300 Anson, from an A to a 5. Jeez.

https://www.blowoutforums.com/showth...90614&page=182

Old 07-23-2019, 02:12 PM
Johnny MaZilli

Quote:
N300 Anson, from an A to a 5. Jeez.

https://www.blowoutforums.com/showth...90614&page=182
Wow that’s bad real bad.....PSA is striking out big time.....
Old 07-23-2019, 02:20 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny630 View Post
Wow that’s bad real bad.....PSA is striking out big time.....
Add one to the refund line.

Old 07-23-2019, 03:22 PM
Peter Spaeth

Card looked trimmed to begin with not sure how it got into a holder the second time whether or not it was recolored or just cleaned.

Old 07-23-2019, 03:59 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:
Add one to the refund line.
Can wait 6 months or more, afterall what choice does he have...

doesnt even make the 5k or more list..
Old 07-23-2019, 04:09 PM
K@t Alex@nder

Wowzers. Thanks Mark for the specific pages. Also, I vividly remember that Anson (both times) and checking back here on N54 to see if anyone was calling it out. Something certainly seemed fishy to me at the time.
Old 07-23-2019, 06:15 PM
Johnny MaZilli

Yes
Quote:
Card looked trimmed to begin with not sure how it got into a holder the second time whether or not it was recolored or just cleaned.
Agree.....Peter.

So many bad bad cards in holders with grades.

I’m not giving PWCC or the Doctors a pass by any stretch however......

My question is will PSA lose it’s credibility in the industry ??

How can any auction houses Or dealer have confidence selling/auctioning cards in PSA holders that were not submitted by themselves??

I have a feeling this years national is gonna be scary for many dealers...idk

Last edited by Johnny630; 07-23-2019 at 06:16 PM.