NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 03-17-2015, 10:00 AM
Michael

Default vintage card prices

Signed vintage cards even non rookies are going higher and higher. Do you think most of the buyers are us board members who bid against each other and drive them through the roof or are there alot of collectors not on net 54 with giant pockets? Even non rookies are going high. Do you think there is an end in site? Or once the few of us on here get our wants will the demand plummet?
Old 03-17-2015, 10:23 AM
Brent Niederman
Bre.nt Nieder.m@n

I honestly believe collectors are finally starting to recognize how scare a signed T205 is or how cool it is because of the age of the card and being signed.. Seems that once the T206's hit 100+ years old, the signed ones went up significantly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-17-2015, 11:14 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

I think the sheer nostalgia of a player actually touching their own card is the driving force. Also, the rarity of seeing a player and having the card with you in hand to have signed increases the rarity of many signed cards. The masses are realizing there are not many around.

"We" have built "america's toughest signed card want list" from many autographed card collectors who have been at this since the 50's. Most all are missing the same cards, and that tends to create a bidding war of all wars. However, I have been contacted by a few people, not on this site, who are interested in starting a signed set. There are also player and team set collectors venturing into the world of signed cards.

I think signed cards have still not reached their potential, and there are steals to be had on ebay and auction houses of signed rarities going unnoticed. The HOF rookie cards should lead the way with others being dragged slowly up with them.

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 03-17-2015, 01:00 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Decades ago in the hobby signed cards went begging. Many collectors thought of them as defaced. I recall purchasing lots of 1950s HOFer signed cards at auctions where no one even wanted to pay $2 each for them. I still have some of them. I also recall being looked at like I was nuts for getting old timers to sign their vintage cards at shows. That attitude persisted until relatively recently. I picked up quite a few signed HOFer cards at various Nationals over the last decade for less than the cost of the raw card in comparable condition. In some cases I was not only able to knock off a want list or type card but get an autograph to boot. That hasn't been the case for a few years now, though.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 03-17-2015 at 01:01 PM.
Old 03-17-2015, 02:15 PM
Sco.tt Mar.cus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
Decades ago in the hobby signed cards went begging. Many collectors thought of them as defaced. I recall purchasing lots of 1950s HOFer signed cards at auctions where no one even wanted to pay $2 each for them. I still have some of them. I also recall being looked at like I was nuts for getting old timers to sign their vintage cards at shows. That attitude persisted until relatively recently. I picked up quite a few signed HOFer cards at various Nationals over the last decade for less than the cost of the raw card in comparable condition. In some cases I was not only able to knock off a want list or type card but get an autograph to boot. That hasn't been the case for a few years now, though.
+1

I remember when I was in fifth grade (9-10 years ago) and I picked up Bobby Doerr's 1949 Bowman card from the local card store. I asked the owner if I should send the card to Doerr to sign, and before I'd even finished the question he was shaking his head no.
Old 03-17-2015, 03:21 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

I just don't see how anyone can believe signed vintage cards are authentic without making a huge leap of faith.

Autographs, in general, are a risk, but the older they are, the more vital indisputable providence becomes.
-
-

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente

Last edited by clydepepper; 03-18-2015 at 06:42 AM.
Old 03-17-2015, 10:47 PM
Mike Navarro

Quote:
Originally Posted by clydepepper View Post
Autographs, in general, are a risk, but the older they are, the more vital indisputable providence becomes.
-
-
Provenance doesn't make a difference to me, an autograph is either real or fake, no matter what provenance it has. Lack of provenance doesn't make a good graph bad, nor does stellar provenance make a bad graph good. Evaluate the item on it's own merits and don't put too much stock into provenance in my opinion.

Mike
Old 03-17-2015, 11:26 PM
M@rk V3l@rd3

Michael,
As with all areas of collecting that are newer I think it is tough to predict. As many have commented, in the past, getting cards signed was considered defacement by purists. In a sense that sentiment has limited the number of cards available, especially in older sets. It's because of the limited availability, along with the OCD of the collectors, that have pushed up prices.
I remember about 4yrs ago when Paul put out his offer to pay $1000 for any signed t206. Prior to that you could purchase signed t206s, when they showed up on ebay, for between $100-$300. His offer not only made people more interested because of his obvious passion, but also raised the prices as they could always sell to him.
I think there will be a plateau at some point. Most of the rarer cards will hold their value, while lesser one will probably drop a little.

Mike and Clyde,
I disagree with both of you to a degree. Provenance has a place in autograph collecting, but it is only one variable that one should consider. I have bought many an autograph with little or no provenance, because I was very comfortable with the specific form of the signature. I have also passed on things with supposed great provenance because I just didn't think it looked like it should.

best to all,
Mark

Other interests/sets/collectibles.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/96571220@N08/albums

My for sale or trade photobucket album
https://flic.kr/s/aHsk7c1SRL
Old 03-18-2015, 07:08 AM

I don't think provenance comes into play when dealing with say a 1956 Topps signed by Whitey Ford. I also subscribe to the "it's real or it's not real" philosophy.

Last edited by packs; 03-18-2015 at 07:08 AM.
Old 03-18-2015, 12:14 PM

I once had (9) signed T206 cards, the cheapest of which I bought for a whopping $65 on ebay in 2005-2006. I never spent more than $300 on any of them. Definitely sold out too early.
Old 03-21-2015, 12:09 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

The interesting aspect for me is the signed vintage card of the guy who lived into the signing era but who died before signing old cards caught on. So the signature may be plentiful but the signed card is not. For example, I used to have a Judy Johnson signed modern PC. I then found a signed Laughlin Negro League card. That is considered by many to be a RC. I have seen lots of Johnson signed items. No other Laughlin cards. Or a 1941 Goudey Hubbell I picked up at a National.

I also like cards that were signed in the old days even if the signer was active later. Lots of Satchel Paige signed stuff but I held out for a signed and mailed Browns PC postmarked 1953. My fave of this sort is a JD McCarthy PC of Don Drysdale in a Brooklyn cap signed and addressed in his hand and mailed from Brooklyn in 1957. I'd rather own that than a Drysdale RC.

I also like tougher types that are signed. I got a 1958 Bell Snider and an Exhibit Skowron White Sox at one National. Those are easy signatures but tough cards unsigned, so the combo is pretty special because not too many collectors decided to 'wreck' a three figure card with a signature.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 03-21-2015 at 12:24 PM.