NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-13-2007, 02:29 PM
Administrator

Default Grading at the National.

Posted By: Dave Haas

I want to get some cards graded athe Nat'l. I take it PSA charges more for onsite grading? Does anyone know how much? Also, is there usually a line at PSA? and how long do they take to grade the cards. Does GAI and SGC also grade onsite? Thanks for the help.

Old 07-13-2007, 02:34 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

I know SGC does on site grading. I believe it was $25 last year. Not sure if their are different tier levels.....I tend to get some of my rarer cards graded there as they don't have to take flight.....I know PSA does on site grading but I don't know the particulars and I imagine GAI does too...

Old 07-13-2007, 02:35 PM
Administrator

Posted By: P Spaeth

1-800-325-1121

Old 07-13-2007, 02:44 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Turner Engle

I heard PSA is charging $30 a card, but I am not totally sure.

The last time I went to the Cleveland national 3 years ago. I know that SGC, GAI, and PSA were all grading on site and the lines were pretty long for all of the companies.

I only had one card graded on-site, and it was by GAI. The turn around time was about 3 hours.

Old 07-13-2007, 03:31 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob

SGC took longer than GAI in Chicago, at least for me. As I recall, both offered a discount if there were a number of cards to be graded.

Old 07-13-2007, 04:51 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jack R.

Does everyone really feel comfortable with on site grading ?

The person, and hopefully second person/verifier, working there is under quite different circumstances than usual.
The lighting , external sounds, familiarity, reference items available, unusual distractions, Etc., are all much different from the home office and its comfortable surroundings. Not to mention the time pressure is far greater than in the "made-for-grading" home base location.

Are the best graders at the show, or are they manning the homefront ? Are there enough graders there who can properly evaluate a T-206 AND an atomic chrome refrator, the companies know there is a good possiblity of both types being walked in to a show.

I have to feel a more accurate grade might come from a regular submission, siiting in the old easy chair with no really ultra tight dealines in force, utilizing all additonal home-based resources and environmental comforts, than at a fast paced public event.

Old 07-13-2007, 05:26 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Paul S

Do you get to stand there and watch while they grade it? Do they tell you what the card will get and give you the option to decline?

Old 07-13-2007, 05:34 PM
Administrator

Posted By: peter chao

Paul,

Normally, they have a booth in the with a curtain on it for the actual grading.

They will tell you to leave the cards with them for a few hours and come back.

Peter

Old 07-13-2007, 10:12 PM
Administrator

Bummer

Old 07-14-2007, 06:46 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Dave F

So you can't stand to the side and heckle the graders?

Old 07-14-2007, 08:08 AM
Administrator

If the National is the Emerald City, than perhaps the grader(s) are like the Wizard. Some big-faced superimposition up on high, and a booming voice says: Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.
(insert tongue-in-cheek icon here)

Old 07-14-2007, 09:26 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Dave Haas

Being that the graders are going to be swamped with cards, it might be a good time for someone to submit less than perfect cards i.e. trimmed, altered etc figuring that they won't spend the same amount of time grading them as they would back at their home office. Maybe this is how altered cards get slabbed. It certainly isn't an ideal working atmosphere.