NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-06-2008, 11:46 AM
Administrator

Default border chipping vs paper loss

Posted By: ali_lapoint

ive been looking at some cards online and have had this topic on my mind for a while. how do you guys feel about border chipping vs paper loss? i see a ton of mayo's and t205's with horrible border chipping but they are still receiving PSA 3 or SGC 40 grades while cards with a tiny miniscule amount of paper loss on the front or back are automatically graded in the 1 to 2 range. to me, it seems like it should be the same standard, no? a border chip is paper loss isn't it? i'm just curious how you guys feel about it and reasons for why the defects should be viewed differently.

Old 05-06-2008, 11:54 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Matt

I think the difference is the most important rule of real estate.

Old 05-06-2008, 11:59 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Phil Garry

I think the examples you mentioned, especially the Mayos, are incorrectly looked at more leniently than other card issues by the majority of the gradiong companies. The solid gold/black borders easily lend themselves to chipping but should not be overlooked any more than other card issues. I also think the majority of the grading companies overkill the grades on cards with very minute paper loss, especially on blank back cards and otherwise empty white card borders.

Old 05-06-2008, 12:00 PM
Administrator

Posted By: JK

In theory, I agree that both are paper loss and could be treated equally. However, I believe the different standards stems from the fact that chipping occurs in the border area. The border area, as others have mentioned in the past, is intended to not only frame, but protect the image from damage. So to the extent that there is chipping to the border, it has done its job. Most paper loss that results in a downgrade to a 10, 20 or 30 is found on the image itself or on the reverse where there is writing present (caveat - I dont know why blank back cards are downgraded so heavily for minor paper loss).

Old 05-06-2008, 12:06 PM
Administrator

Posted By: ali_lapoint

here is an example:

this is an e107 in the last REA auction graded by SGC.

http://bid.robertedwardauctions.com/bidplace.aspx?itemid=9909

as you can see, there is a tiny spot of paper loss in the top border. doesn't affect the image and is pretty tiny. it received a 2.

here is a mayo:

http://bid.robertedwardauctions.com/bidplace.aspx?itemid=9831

as you can see, there is a pretty significant border chip on the bottom right hand corner that i feel like is way worse than the tiny spot of paper loss on the e107, and this card was given a 4.

thoughts?

Old 05-06-2008, 01:22 PM
Administrator

Posted By: James Gallo

The e107 appears to have a spot of paper loss on the back as well. Look at the s in players...

That Mayo seems over graded when compared to other later cards IMO.

James G

Looking for 1915 Cracker Jacks and 1909-11 American Caramel E90-1.

Old 05-06-2008, 01:26 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

Personally I don't feel a card should be downgraded as much for chipping on any blank area (without any writing or color) as much as one with chipping on areas of writing or color. Most of the times they do downgrade the same....which I disagree with.....regards

Old 05-06-2008, 02:40 PM
Administrator

Posted By: JK

Not only does the e107 have paper loss on the reverse, the paper loss on the front extends beyond the border and into the picture. The mayo is completely contained in the border area - plus, mayos are terrible examples to use as comparables because as mentioned above, the grading companies appear to be much more lenient when grading that particular issue than they are with white bordered cards.