NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present)

Old 09-24-2022, 02:36 PM
Al Richter

Default Topps 1985 Prototypes ?

Anyone else end up with any of these things ?

Old 09-24-2022, 11:30 PM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

I have a couple, one of each version both Fuch and Acme. Might have more but I can’t remember as it was a few years ago they dived into the boxes.

One of the members here won the auction and listed some on eBay. I wish I could remember off hand who.

I was trying to talk them into selling me the Jim Davenport manager card too as I recall.

Edit - I dug through my emails and it was TATSR

Player collecting - Lance Parrish, Jim Davenport, John Norlander.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.

Last edited by JustinD; 09-24-2022 at 11:46 PM.
Old 09-24-2022, 11:44 PM
Joe W.
J0seph Wi.er

Default Topps 1985 Prototypes ?

I have a couple of the Dodgers. I’m interested in any other Dodgers that might be out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by 4reals; 09-24-2022 at 11:45 PM.
Old 09-25-2022, 08:15 AM
Al Richter

I have the “checklist” that came with the article. Anyone want me to try to post copy ?
Old 09-26-2022, 08:38 AM
Steve Birmingham

I picked up a couple back then.
Old 09-27-2022, 02:40 AM
Joe W.
J0seph Wi.er

Here you go...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1985 Topps Traded Prototypes Checklist.jpg (191.8 KB, 310 views)
Old 09-27-2022, 06:39 AM
Mike Magee

Good morning,

I have an Alfredo Griffin as a type card for the prototypes but am looking for any Orioles card in the set.

Alfredo Griffin_front.jpg

Alfredo Griffin_back.jpg
Old 09-27-2022, 06:20 PM
Dar.ius Hou.seal

I love this set. 1985 Topps was a really neat year. All sorts of stuff going on like Supers, Tiffany, Mini and this cool prototype set. I jumped on an ebay auction back in 2016 and acquired what i think was all of the ACME cards and 44 of the Fuchs cards. I purchased them from a ebay user Timmermant. Here is the email exchange back then:

"New message from: timmermant Top Rated Seller(1,991Red Star)
Hi,
In the "Fuchs" variety I have these 42 plus two that are not listed on ebay: Don Sutton & Earl Weaver. Both of these have been encapsulated by PSA.
If you want all 44, I would create an ebay lot for you with a Buy it Now of $[] with free shipping. I'll have to pay about $[] of that in ebay/paypal fees/shipping.

I still have all of the "Acme" variety as well. My plan was to sell one group (Fuchs) so that I could keep the other group. I really think that one day these will be recognized along with 1961 Topps Dice, etc. as extremely rare issues. But if I got a really good offer, I might part with those as well. In the Acme group, there are 117 cards and these have been encapsulated by PSA:
#2 Bill Almon
#17 Gary Carter
#20 Rick Cerone
#22 Jack Clark
#24 Vince Coleman
#43 Ozzie Guillen
#49 Rickey Henderson
#64 Howard Johnson
#77 Fred Lynn
#78 Billy Martin
#115 Bruce Sutter
#116 Don Sutton
#126 Bobby Valentine
#129 Earl Weaver

I've sold a few of the other Fuchs, but I haven't sold any of the Acme. So you would own the entire known population of these."

There has to be more ACME cards out there in my opinion unless they were destroyed. You would think they would have produced the entire set.

I have acquired a few (5 or so) of the Fuchs since this initial purchase and would love to bring the entire set back together. You can tell the difference between the two, but really need to see them side by side or just spend a lot of time with them. When i purchased them, i also asked for the seller to include the original traded boxes they came in and i do have those as well -- not that it adds any value...just kind of wanted to have the whole package as they were initially found. Personally i think it's kind of cool to keep that way.

Anyhow, I feel this is a really neat set with the completely unique back. If you are selling or thinking about it, please keep me in mind.

Thanks,
Darius
Old 09-28-2022, 10:06 AM
Al Richter

Great pick up Darius.

For 85 Topps I have the regular base and traded sets, Tiffany base and traded sets, the Super set, and the Mini set in regular and blank back ( and about 1/2 in red back). Also have the 85 All Star Glossy sets of 40 and 22, the Gallery of Champions set in silver and bronze, The 85 Rub Downs, the 85 Stickers set, the 85 3D set, and the 85 Traded Pete Rose Bronze premium
Old 09-28-2022, 10:11 AM
β∪τ∁ℏ †∪RΩεΓ

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALR-bishop View Post
Great pick up Darius.

For 85 Topps I have the regular base and traded sets, Tiffany base and traded sets, the Super set, and the Mini set in regular and blank back ( and about 1/2 in red back). Also have the 85 All Star Glossy sets of 40 and 22, the Gallery of Champions set in silver and bronze, The 85 Rub Downs, the 85 Stickers set, the 85 3D set, and the 85 Traded Pete Rose Bronze premium
There are those that merely think about keeping pace with you Al, none will ever compete or pass.

Your collection must be beyond museum worthy. I'd love to see it one day.

Cheers!

B. T.

Completed: 1969 - 2000 Topps Baseball Sets and Traded Sets.

Senators and Frank Howard fan.

I collect Topps baseball variations -- I can quit anytime I want to.....I DON'T WANT TO.
Old 09-28-2022, 02:18 PM
Dave L.

What is the difference between "Acme" and "Fuchs"?
Old 09-28-2022, 05:04 PM
Al Richter

It is described in article posted above but may be too small to read. I might be able to send you a scan in an email or pm if you want one. it involves the finish on the card
Old 09-28-2022, 05:56 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by butchie_t View Post
There are those that merely think about keeping pace with you Al, none will ever compete or pass.

Your collection must be beyond museum worthy. I'd love to see it one day.

Cheers!

B. T.
It would take days to look at. On a kinda strange note I have been getting tased with a very strong taser daily hoping to be invited to his funeral in the very distant future.
Old 09-28-2022, 10:44 PM
Joe W.
J0seph Wi.er

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALR-bishop View Post
It is described in article posted above but may be too small to read. I might be able to send you a scan in an email or pm if you want one. it involves the finish on the card
Here's a digital pic of the article for anyone who wants to save it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1985 Topps Traded Prototypes SCD Article.jpg (210.7 KB, 231 views)
Old 09-29-2022, 07:21 AM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

Quote:
Originally Posted by dariushou View Post
I love this set. 1985 Topps was a really neat year. All sorts of stuff going on like Supers, Tiffany, Mini and this cool prototype set. I jumped on an ebay auction back in 2016 and acquired what i think was all of the ACME cards and 44 of the Fuchs cards. I purchased them from a ebay user Timmermant.
I am going to have to go through the boxes and look for my copies as now I am completely questioning my memory as I was positive I had both versions, but hell that was 6 years ago. 1985 is my personal favorite set as well because of the variations with the minis at the top of the heap as they have so many versions to collect.

I am certainly not in the market to sell mine but you go to the top of my list if I ever do.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.
Old 09-29-2022, 09:35 AM
Ke.vin G.ray

I'm sure folks have seen this, but one of the Rickey Henderson cards is on ebay presently.
kevin

https://www.ebay.com/itm/18558355715...Bk9SR_ziip7xYA
Old 09-29-2022, 08:44 PM
Curt

I won a couple off ebay a while back, I don't recall if they were advertised as 1/1s or not at the time. Al Oliver and Mariano Duncan, both Dodgers.
Old 09-30-2022, 08:55 AM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulsaboy View Post
I'm sure folks have seen this, but one of the Rickey Henderson cards is on ebay presently.
kevin

https://www.ebay.com/itm/18558355715...Bk9SR_ziip7xYA
Pretty strong ask, lol.

Sold first for 113.

https://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=225756

Old 09-30-2022, 09:56 AM
Al Richter

We need to have bobc have a talk with leema about basis and taxes and such

The seller may be reaching a tad on price but I think he got what may be the rarest Topps Henderson card at a great price....if he can just get people to believe him.

I wonder if there would be a copyright issue if he included the SCD article in the listing
Old 10-01-2022, 08:24 PM
Shane

I had no idea these existed until I found out from Al. Just more rare Cardinals to add to the want list! Nice cards, Al!
Old 11-25-2022, 04:26 PM
Joe W.
J0seph Wi.er

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmopar View Post
I won a couple off ebay a while back, I don't recall if they were advertised as 1/1s or not at the time. Al Oliver and Mariano Duncan, both Dodgers.

You know who to holler at when you’re ready…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-27-2022, 01:57 PM
Shane

If anyone has any Cardinals in this set for sale please let me know.