NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk

Old 09-15-2022, 04:19 PM
Mike

Default Aaron Judge Batting First in the Order ?

With Aaron Judge batting first in the order, don't the Yankees lose a lot of runs when he hits Home Runs ? Seems like batting 3rd or 4th would create more RBI's and more wins. I don't believe Babe Ruth or Hank Aaron batted First, did they ????
Old 09-15-2022, 04:41 PM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by insidethewrapper View Post
With Aaron Judge batting first in the order, don't the Yankees lose a lot of runs when he hits Home Runs ? Seems like batting 3rd or 4th would create more RBI's and more wins. I don't believe Babe Ruth or Hank Aaron batted First, did they ????
Gets him more at bats. When LeMehieu is out or hurt, there really is nobody else on the team that consistently gets on base, and LeMehieu is incredibly streaky even when healthy. When he's on, he's at the top of the lineup, when he's off, Judge is the only option to get a body on base.
Old 09-16-2022, 04:44 AM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Quote:
you are right. He has actually batted first several times. They and other teams do it with their top hitters trying to get them more at bats per game and the season.
Its all in the analytics

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 09-16-2022, 07:23 AM
Dave

...and when he doesn't bat 1st, he normally bats 2nd. He's rarely a cleanup guy. Not many other OBP guys on that team. Still leading the majors in both RBI's and Runs.

Last edited by D. Bergin; 09-16-2022 at 07:25 AM.
Old 09-17-2022, 07:50 AM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Bergin View Post
...and when he doesn't bat 1st, he normally bats 2nd. He's rarely a cleanup guy. Not many other OBP guys on that team. Still leading the majors in both RBI's and Runs.
Yes he is and times are changing. Not the same as when Ricky Henderson was your prototype for a lead off player (and to me the greatest lead off player of all time)

Jeff Kuhr

Looking for
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Old 09-17-2022, 08:03 AM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrreality68 View Post
Yes he is and times are changing. Not the same as when Ricky Henderson was your prototype for a lead off player (and to me the greatest lead off player of all time)

I think Rickey's still the prototype, and would be the prototype in any era. Maybe not the Willie Wilson's and Vince Coleman's of the world anymore, but Rickey wasn't just a slap-hitter with speed. He was an OBP machine, with a little bit of pop.

Judge would have 150+ RBI's right now with a somewhat prime version of Rickey hitting ahead of him.
Old 09-17-2022, 10:43 AM

Yankees have a weak bottom third so if they do get on Judge can knock them all in.
Old 09-18-2022, 12:10 PM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Bergin View Post
I think Rickey's still the prototype, and would be the prototype in any era. Maybe not the Willie Wilson's and Vince Coleman's of the world anymore, but Rickey wasn't just a slap-hitter with speed. He was an OBP machine, with a little bit of pop.

Judge would have 150+ RBI's right now with a somewhat prime version of Rickey hitting ahead of him.
+1 agree Ricky can hit for power, get on base and steal a run

And if judge had some people getting on base more regularly in front of him judge would have a lot more RBI’s

Regardless where they play him in the lineup or in the outfield Judge is showing he can do it all

Jeff Kuhr

Looking for
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Old 09-29-2022, 10:00 AM
Mike

Alonzo has more RBI's with his 40 HRS than Judge with 61. Could you imagine Judge's RBI's if he was batting 3rd or 4th ? I still think the Yanks are leaving a lot of runs on the table.
Old 09-29-2022, 10:18 AM
Dave

Quote:
Alonzo has more RBI's with his 40 HRS than Judge with 61. Could you imagine Judge's RBI's if he was batting 3rd or 4th ? I still think the Yanks are leaving a lot of runs on the table.
He also has 38 more runs scored then Alonso. I think they need to get him as many at bats as possible with that lineup. Alonso has several more guys who get on base at a decent clip in front of him, then Judge has at his disposal on a day to day basis.
Old 09-29-2022, 10:44 AM

Alonso only has one more RBI than Judge does and his RBI stats come with a whole lot of down grades everywhere else compared to Judge.
Old 09-29-2022, 11:01 AM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
Alonso only has one more RBI than Judge does and his RBI stats come with a whole lot of down grades everywhere else compared to Judge.
I was wondering what I was missing. Judge has 130 RBI's on the year, even with his spot in the batting order.
Old 09-29-2022, 11:08 AM
Dave

I don't think he was comparing Alonso to Judge. Just RBI opportunities.

Would love to have Alonso batting behind Judge, and protecting him a lot more then he is right now.
Old 09-29-2022, 11:11 AM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Alonso has three hitters in front of him that have OBPs in the neighborhood of or over .350 and lead-off hitters only bat lead-off in the first inning...assuming the opposing pitcher isn't throwing a perfect game.

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente

Last edited by clydepepper; 09-29-2022 at 11:11 AM.
Old 09-29-2022, 12:32 PM

But it doesn't seem to me that Judge is hurting for RBI's or that the Yankees are hurting for runs.

Rizzo and Stanton have 75 RBI's each hitting behind Judge. Do you think they'd be on base in Judge's place were he not leading off? I don't think it can be assumed there would be more runners on base when the clean up spot came up just because Judge is good at getting on base himself.

Last edited by packs; 09-29-2022 at 04:01 PM.
Old 09-29-2022, 05:42 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
But it doesn't seem to me that Judge is hurting for RBI's or that the Yankees are hurting for runs.

Rizzo and Stanton have 75 RBI's each hitting behind Judge. Do you think they'd be on base in Judge's place were he not leading off? I don't think it can be assumed there would be more runners on base when the clean up spot came up just because Judge is good at getting on base himself.

Right. Judge's ability to get on base helps the team...he ALSO leads the league in runs scored...just as he did as a rookie! Oh, He's pretty good!!

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 09-30-2022, 05:30 AM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Quote:
+1 Agree

Jeff Kuhr

Looking for
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth