NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-02-2023, 06:08 PM

Default Most Notorius interview of researcher of the 1932 shooting of Bill Jurges.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjUbc53YNOA

Includes discussion of Ruth's called shot after 31 minutes into the recording.

Last edited by Brian Van Horn; 02-02-2023 at 06:23 PM.
Old 02-03-2023, 11:11 AM

People will believe whatever they want on Ruth’s “called shot” but if Charlie Root or Gabby Hartnett had any impression that Ruth was pointing to centerfield predicting a home run on the next pitch then Ruth would have been eating dirt after that pitch from being brushed back by Root. It bothered Root until his dying breath that he was the fall guy of a myth.
Old 02-03-2023, 01:41 PM
J@mes In.gram

Kinda doubt Ruth would've eaten dirt, he was a big boy who could handle himself in situations, and by practically all accounts he did point, Root's or Hartnett's chagrin or otherwise. And it was against the famous wind, which only adds to the myth.

Successful net54 purchases from/trades with:
Tere1071, Bocabirdman, 8thEastVB, GoldenAge50s, IronHorse2130, Kris19, G1911, dacubfan, sflayank, Smanzari, bocca001, eliminator, ejstel, lampertb, rjackson44, Jason19th, Cmvorce, CobbSpikedMe, Harliduck, donmuth, HercDriver, Huck, theshleps

Completed 1962 Topps
Completed 1969 Topps deckle edge
Completed 1953 Bowman color & b/w
*** Raw cards only, daddyo! ***
Old 02-03-2023, 03:24 PM
Bob C.

Have heard this discussion for years, and can't believe it still continues.

Babe Ruth was one of the most over-the-top, bigger-than-life, and self-promoting athletes of all time. As an earlier poster said, he was also a big boy who knew how to handle himself. So why wouldn't Ruth have just initially come out and confirmed and admitted that he in fact did purposely point to center field, intending to hit the ball out of the park in that direction. It is simple, BECAUSE HE DID NOT DO IT!

Ruth initially said he was merely pointing at the Cubs dugout to remind their taunting players he still had one more strike. It was only after the reporter, Joe Williams, of the Scripps-Howard newspaper network put out the story about Ruth having called the shot to center field, and it took off and gained national attention, that Ruth started to change his story and when soon after was asked if he had called his shot, would respond, "It's in the papers, isn't it?". But again, that kind of response still didn't actually have him saying that yes, he did call his shot. And then as more time went by, the obviously media savvy Ruth quickly realized the value to his reputation and took and ran with the story as true, and eventually ended up making even more dramatic claims and embellishments to it as absolutely true after all as more and more time went by, as further boosts to his ego and reputation. What an effing joke! Had Ruth intentionally done it after all, he would have said so from the beginning. If there is one thing that Babe Ruth was definitely not, it was about being shy about himself and letting everyone else know how good he was.

And this is in no way meant to demean Ruth, nor downplay how great a player he was. And in fact, one can only admire him for the way he was able to work the media to his advantage and gain back in the day. What's the old joke still out there these days, "If it's on the internet it must be true!", right? Well just remember, back in Ruth's days the newspapers were what are the equivalent of today's internet! Think about it.
Old 02-03-2023, 03:27 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jingram058 View Post
Kinda doubt Ruth would've eaten dirt, he was a big boy who could handle himself in situations, and by practically all accounts he did point, Root's or Hartnett's chagrin or otherwise. And it was against the famous wind, which only adds to the myth.

That last statement is likely not true, as Ruth's shot was supposedly aided by a strong carrying wind that day according to accounts I had come across.

Last edited by BobC; 02-03-2023 at 03:29 PM.
Old 02-03-2023, 03:39 PM

Two days before he died Charlie Root told his daughter “I gave my life to baseball and I’ll only be remembered for something that never happened”.
Old 02-03-2023, 03:49 PM
Jeffrey Kuhr

The Myth, The Man, The Legend

The truth may never be know

But it is all amazing history and great conversation

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 02-05-2023, 12:24 PM
And.rew Whi.te

I had worked for the Cubs seven years in the 80's and one of the highlights of my time there was the ability to talk to the old timers who hung around the old ball park on a normal game day. I loved talking to guys like George Brace who had likely photographed every athlete that came through Wrigley or Comiskey since the Ruth/Gehrig era. There were several other old players and guys who worked around the old ball park since the 30's which loved to share any story they had if they were just asked. I was I had the thought to record or write down those stories as sadly, they are now gone.

The one thing I always asked of the old timers was about the called shot. SO many of them were there (and could prove it) and to a person, they all said Ruth never called his shot but rather held up his fingers towards the Cubs Dugout to indicate that it only took one pitch to hit the ball out. After the first pitch Ruth yelled "thats one" towards the Cubs dugout. After the second pitch I was told Ruth yelled "Thats two" towards the Cubs and then...well we all know what happened on the third pitch. These old timers all stated the same story to me and said that Ruth "laughed his ass off" as he rounded the bases.

This story, that was told to me by at least five separate guys who were eye witnesses to the event is the exact same story I have read over the years. While I want to believe Ruth called his shot, the people who were there that I know speak from direct knowledge tell this other story which I do believe.
Old 02-05-2023, 03:35 PM
M@rk S@tterstr0m

I've never understood why it makes such a big difference to some. Ruth indicating to the Cubs that he still had one strike left to hit one out, or Ruth pointing towards the fence indicating he wanted to hit one out. What's the big difference?

Either way, if Root strikes him out, he's going to look foolish, and if he does hit one out, he's got the last laugh.

Personally, I don't think he pointed to center field. But he definitely did put himself in a situation, in front of the entire Wrigley crowd, where he would've been laughed at and jeered mercilessly had he not hammered the next pitch to cross the plate.
Old 02-05-2023, 06:19 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitehse View Post
I had worked for the Cubs seven years in the 80's and one of the highlights of my time there was the ability to talk to the old timers who hung around the old ball park on a normal game day. I loved talking to guys like George Brace who had likely photographed every athlete that came through Wrigley or Comiskey since the Ruth/Gehrig era. There were several other old players and guys who worked around the old ball park since the 30's which loved to share any story they had if they were just asked. I was I had the thought to record or write down those stories as sadly, they are now gone.

The one thing I always asked of the old timers was about the called shot. SO many of them were there (and could prove it) and to a person, they all said Ruth never called his shot but rather held up his fingers towards the Cubs Dugout to indicate that it only took one pitch to hit the ball out. After the first pitch Ruth yelled "thats one" towards the Cubs dugout. After the second pitch I was told Ruth yelled "Thats two" towards the Cubs and then...well we all know what happened on the third pitch. These old timers all stated the same story to me and said that Ruth "laughed his ass off" as he rounded the bases.

This story, that was told to me by at least five separate guys who were eye witnesses to the event is the exact same story I have read over the years. While I want to believe Ruth called his shot, the people who were there that I know speak from direct knowledge tell this other story which I do believe.
Exactly what I was saying above Andrew. Per accounts Ruth initially said he was indicating to the Cubs players he still had another strike to go. It was only after others created the story that Ruth just took and went with it.

Last edited by BobC; 02-05-2023 at 06:24 PM.
Old 02-05-2023, 06:23 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark17 View Post
I've never understood why it makes such a big difference to some. Ruth indicating to the Cubs that he still had one strike left to hit one out, or Ruth pointing towards the fence indicating he wanted to hit one out. What's the big difference?

Either way, if Root strikes him out, he's going to look foolish, and if he does hit one out, he's got the last laugh.

Personally, I don't think he pointed to center field. But he definitely did put himself in a situation, in front of the entire Wrigley crowd, where he would've been laughed at and jeered mercilessly had he not hammered the next pitch to cross the plate.
Great points Mark. Back in that day the players interacted much more with the other team and its players during games than ever would likely be tolerated today. And just think, if Ruth had ended up getting merely a base hit in that at bat, we'd never all be talking about this today. LOL