NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-29-2011, 12:12 PM
Jeff Gross

Default Insurance vs. monster safe

Is there any reason to spend $1500+ on a decent safe when you can get, according to collectinsure.com, a $50,000 policy for $216/year? Perhaps a safe would be cheaper in the long run?

Any reason to have both (a high-end safe and insurance)?

Thoughts? Opinions for personal experience?
Old 06-29-2011, 12:14 PM
J@son M1ller

Safe deposit boxes work well, too.

If the cards are easily replaceable, the insurance is fine. But if you've got cards that aren't so easy to come by, the loss is much more painful. Cash only makes up for so much. I'd rather have the cards.

TO think about having to replace the ones that were missing makes my heart hurt.
Old 06-29-2011, 12:26 PM
David Pierson
Banned

Default 2 safes are better than ins. or deposit boxes!

Safe deposit boxes are not safe! During the great depression, when banks locked the doors.....no one could gain access to boxes...also they are not covered by fdic. The best way to go is to have two safes..one filled with cheesy reprints and another secret hidden one filled with your treasures.
I say two safes because if threatened with harm, most would open their safe.
Old 06-29-2011, 12:31 PM
Steve F
St.eve F@llet.ti

"Listen up pal, The combination, or we kidnap your wife."
Old 06-29-2011, 01:18 PM
Scott Mt. Joy

I have both a safe and insurance. I like the safe and so wish I had gotten a bigger one but its really just protection from a basic break in and/or a contractor or guest from stealing the low hanging fruit. The insurance covers my collection in case they are destroyed and need to be replaced, its bad enough to lose the cards but I at least want the value back on it. The insurance also covers mail, transport and other losses. I had cards stolen out of my truck 1.5 years ago and it was well worth it to get back the money for the stolen cards. I use CIS Insurance and have been very happy and I have done one claim.
Old 06-29-2011, 01:40 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default 1200lb safe and...

I own a 1200 lb, monitored alarm safe and in addition keep my most valuable cards in a safe deposit box at the bank. For that $100 a yr I have a good peace of mind. It works for me....
Old 06-29-2011, 01:41 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default uh, ok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladder7 View Post
Her name is Sue and she is hiding over there >
Old 06-29-2011, 01:44 PM
edward broeth

i need a more valueble collection for this to matter, although when i leave town i give my most valueble cards to a friend who keeps them in his safe for me.

looking for 1952 topps high series commons

Last edited by benderbroeth; 06-29-2011 at 01:45 PM.
Old 06-29-2011, 01:45 PM
edward broeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
lol funny

looking for 1952 topps high series commons
Old 06-29-2011, 01:53 PM
Brandon Bailey

I would go with the safe. If you are willing to pay that for a safe, I would assume your collection is worth more than the 216 per 50,000, and in the long run the safe is a more reasonable option. Also some cards are irreplaceable even if you have the monies to purchase them.
Old 06-29-2011, 03:52 PM
Steve Birmingham

It's probably best to have both. If someone really wants something and has enough time they will find a way to get at it.

Am I the only one who has used a big pile of "junk" cards as security? At one time I had a cheap collection plus like 30 monster boxes of late 1980's - early 90's cards. I'd heard theives were looking for quickly findable valuable stuff, so when I went away for the weekend or longer I'd put the good stuff at the bottom of the pile. Plus my beater box was labeled "rare/better cards" and was always on top. Fortunately the system was never put to the test.
(And I gave away the 5000 + vg or worse 88 Donruss etc when the box got full)

Steve B
Old 06-29-2011, 04:10 PM
Justin Cur.ze

In regards to the safe, while they are a nice deterrent against theft, even a "fire-proof" safe can still reach somewhere between 150F-350F inside it, depending on the length of time all your other stuff outside of it is aflame. Also, the melting point of plastic is (generally) actually lower than what it takes to make cardboard catch fire. I'm assuming you have your cards slabbed if we're talking 50K of value.

With that said, I'm sure for six bucks a pop, PSA and SGC aren't exactly putting our stuff in the most melt-resistant plastic. That would be a neat experiment, actually. Call the dudes at Myth Busters.

It would be a shame for you to have the foresight to buy a safe, and then have a bunch of Shrinky-Dinks style cards after a fire. That makes me wonder, how much is a shrinky-dink PSA 6 1933 Goudey Lajoie worth? Hahahaha. Don't think I'd want to "crack that out" and resubmit.

To me, that's just another nod to have the stuff stored off-site.

Last edited by grundle20; 06-29-2011 at 04:30 PM.
Old 06-29-2011, 04:20 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladder7 View Post
I'm thinking...

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 06-29-2011, 06:10 PM
I. "Iggy" G0nz@lez
"rich"

Hmmmm, interesting topic. You just never know which direction a thread might end-up here on old Net54. I sure hope I'm never put to the test......................whether to keep my cards or keep my wife (?).

By the way, there is a third option that is not being discuss as to where to place your valuables. It was working for Whitey Bulger.

Lovely Day...
Old 06-29-2011, 06:12 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jg8422 View Post
Is there any reason to spend $1500+ on a decent safe when you can get, according to collectinsure.com, a $50,000 policy for $216/year? Perhaps a safe would be cheaper in the long run?

Any reason to have both (a high-end safe and insurance)?

Thoughts? Opinions for personal experience?
Insurance companies are businesses created to make money. Don't think it's always going to be so easy to get them to pay up.
Old 07-06-2011, 02:06 AM
Larry

Jeff's got that one exactly right. Working generally with Plaintiff's with large personal injury type claims at both the trial and appellate levels, it is apparent that most insurance companies' business model includes taking in premiums, investing them to make more money, and perhaps distributing the income. Paying legitimate claims is seen as something to do reluctanctly, at best, and if paid, to minimize the amount paid out as much as possible, in any manner possible, with ethics of no concern. In Michigan, under the No-Fault law, insurance carriers are technically on the hook for payment of things like attendant care and medical expenses claims arising out of catastrophic injuries sustained in the course of a motor vehicle accident, such as a traumatic brain injury or quadriplegia, for the life of the claimant. And boy, you should see the dirty tricks they pull to try and avoid paying these kinds of claims as the dollar value rises, and the claims persist, year after year, as the injured person never regains function. There are a great number of insurance companies, who if they really were your "neighbors," would prompt you by their close proximity to build a moat around your house, buy all the fortifications you could afford, and invest in automatic weapons with a large stockpile of ammo on hand!

Some insurance companies process claims in good faith, but unless you're a litigation lawyer with a broad, active practice, it can be difficult to pick a good one. Caveat Emptor, in this area. I'll take a good, heavy safe with high temperature resistance. After all, how many house fires have you actually seen in your life?

Best wishes for "safe" collecting,

Larry

Last edited by ls7plus; 07-06-2011 at 02:14 AM.
Old 07-06-2011, 10:21 AM
Vincent Hecksel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post

. . . just don't take my dog !!!
Old 07-06-2011, 11:24 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvindog View Post
Insurance companies are businesses created to make money. Don't think it's always going to be so easy to get them to pay up.
Name a business that isn't.

I've had insured claims in the past--including a big one with the 1994 Northridge Earthquake--and very little trouble getting paid. Of course, that could also have to do with the letterhead...

My take on insurers is that they are the only business that exists solely to cheat the counterparty to a contract out of the benefits of the contract. When I realized that the best day I could ever have as an insurance defense attorney was to cheat an injured person out of their just compensation I switched sides. I haven't worked for insurers in over 15 years and haven't missed it at all.

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 07-06-2011 at 11:26 AM.
Old 07-07-2011, 11:21 AM
Bill Humphrey

Default Safe

Any recommendations for a make and model?

www.theoriginal16.com

Successful Transactions:
Dave Foster - BH3443 - BCBGCBRCD - Dave George - HRBaker
Old 07-09-2011, 06:40 AM
Larry

Default As we say in the trade, "back from the dark side"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post

My take on insurers is that they are the only business that exists solely to cheat the counterparty to a contract out of the benefits of the contract. When I realized that the best day I could ever have as an insurance defense attorney was to cheat an injured person out of their just compensation I switched sides. I haven't worked for insurers in over 15 years and haven't missed it at all.
Ah, Adam, how it absolutely warms my heart to hear that! I always wandered how the defense lawyers for the insurers who obviously had a lot of good in them were able to sleep at night. It's no small exaggeration to say that at times I feared for their very souls, as they'd clearly sold them for material wealth and/or success. A hearty, belated welcome back from the dark side!

Sincerely,

Larry

Last edited by ls7plus; 07-09-2011 at 06:42 AM.
Old 07-09-2011, 06:58 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

"Wealth"? What wealth? Insurers' pay rates suck.

Or not...
Old 07-09-2011, 07:13 AM
Larry

Default Wealth?

My bad, Adam, my bad, although these days, a lot of lawyers I know here in Michigan are hurting, and just having income coming in as consistently as the bills is becoming enough to constitute "wealth" for them.

My hat is off to you still, as now I not only have your vast knowledge of Exhibits and other cards to respect, but true class and character too! A lot of these lay members have no idea what some carriers will do to minimize amounts paid out on even perfectly legitimate claims (my sometimes partner in personal injury actions, Michael Golding, and I accept no other kind). The higher the amount at stake in the litigation, the dirtier the tricks that one can expect to be pulled, and what goes on regularly in the seven to eight figure range is really mucky!

Glad to have you back in God's sunlight.

Larry
Old 07-09-2011, 09:59 AM
David Pierson
Banned

Default howzabout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railroad Bill View Post
Any recommendations for a make and model?
A Remington Model 870 12 ga. pump with extended magazine and pistol grip plus a few cases of 000 buck! ......aloha, dave.
Old 07-09-2011, 10:15 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls7plus View Post
My bad, Adam, my bad, although these days, a lot of lawyers I know here in Michigan are hurting, and just having income coming in as consistently as the bills is becoming enough to constitute "wealth" for them.

My hat is off to you still, as now I not only have your vast knowledge of Exhibits and other cards to respect, but true class and character too! A lot of these lay members have no idea what some carriers will do to minimize amounts paid out on even perfectly legitimate claims (my sometimes partner in personal injury actions, Michael Golding, and I accept no other kind). The higher the amount at stake in the litigation, the dirtier the tricks that one can expect to be pulled, and what goes on regularly in the seven to eight figure range is really mucky!

Glad to have you back in God's sunlight.

Larry
It wasn't easy...If you only knew the power of the Dark Side.

Or not...
Old 07-09-2011, 11:00 AM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardboard Junkie View Post
A Remington Model 870 12 ga. pump with extended magazine and pistol grip plus a few cases of 000 buck! ......aloha, dave.
That is a good choice. Mine is a Super Magnum (shoots the longer shells). I removed the wood stocks and put the Remington RealTree camo stocks on.

However, if you want the pistol grip and extended magazine, you should go with the police model and trick it out with all the tactical accessories. Those are pretty cool.