NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-26-2021, 08:30 AM
Steve Woe.lfel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael B View Post
Has Walpole embraced the moral outrage and changed the name of the sports teams from the Rebels? I guess they long ago painted over the Confederate Battle Flag that was painted on the rock wall at the football field. I owned a house on Common St at the corner of Clapp (Dutch colonial) for most of the 1990's.
Nope, they are leaning into the outrage. The flag has been painted over. I know that house, really nice spot! We have friends that live on Common, just on the other side of the high school.
T206 SLers: 11/48
T206 Back Run: 28/39

Desiderata

You are a child of the universe,
no less than the trees and the stars;
you have a right to be here.
And whether or not it is clear to you,
no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.
With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams,
it is still a beautiful world.
Strive to be happy.
Old 07-26-2021, 08:42 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

I can recall a few short years ago where every major auction occasioned weeks of heated anticipation on the board. Now they just come and go without barely a comment. Last week Heritage had a three night major auction. Not one comment that I recall. As others have said, just so many auctions. Need a red Cobb? Or a Goudey Yellow Gehrig? Or a Jackie PSA 1 or 2. They'll seemingly be dozens and dozens more. Why get excited.

Most of the fresh blood in the hobby is for modern refractors and the like. My prediction is after the National prices will dip hard in most areas. People will see that there is a lot more excitement for Jasson Dominguez and Tua stained glass refractor cards than there is for Leafs and Goudeys. Not a bad thing for the hobby. It is what it is. I think people are throwing their money away but I thought Amazon was overpriced at $125.

Last edited by Snapolit1; 07-26-2021 at 08:43 AM.
Old 07-26-2021, 08:48 AM

I don't collect cards because they're valuable. If the modern market would explode and the pre-war market would bottom out I would be the happiest collector in the country.
Old 07-26-2021, 09:08 AM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
I don't collect cards because they're valuable. If the modern market would explode and the pre-war market would bottom out I would be the happiest collector in the country.
I understand your feeling.
But it is a double edge sword.
I am more a collector then an investor but I do flip some cards so I can either upgrade or add to my collection

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 07-26-2021, 09:09 AM

Imagine going back to a time when you didn't need to flip anything and could just collect.
Old 07-26-2021, 09:12 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Unless you figure out a way to take them with you when you depart this realm, someone somewhere is going to be selling your collection to someone. I enjoy my collection a great deal and certainly hope I or my heirs can sell it all someday and make a nice profit. Unless I want the cards loaded into my coffin I’m not sure what the alternative is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrreality68 View Post
I understand your feeling.
But it is a double edge sword.
I am more a collector then an investor but I do flip some cards so I can either upgrade or add to my collection

Last edited by Snapolit1; 07-26-2021 at 09:13 AM.
Old 07-26-2021, 09:35 AM
Mike

A great deal of material available. I thought the story was that mom threw out all the cards. I guess a lot of mom's did not !

I agree with sensory overlook. Can't look at all the auctions etc. Just missed a Wolverine Cobb on Heritage. Didn't even receive an email etc from them.

Last edited by insidethewrapper; 07-26-2021 at 09:42 AM. Reason: sp
Old 07-26-2021, 11:18 AM
Is Mudville so bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by insidethewrapper View Post
A great deal of material available. I thought the story was that mom threw out all the cards. I guess a lot of mom's did not !

I agree with sensory overlook. Can't look at all the auctions etc. Just missed a Wolverine Cobb on Heritage. Didn't even receive an email etc from them.
Have you seen the Red Cobb back run coming up in the August Heritage? Some fantastic cards.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-
Old 07-26-2021, 11:24 AM
James M.

Quote:
Wouldn't mind that either, at the end of the day, the closest I've gotten to selling would be flipping one of my cards to put the money towards another vintage card I want.

I'll occasionally buy a couple of packs of modern, just to have something to rip, and the moment I do, I say to myself "could've just put it towards something vintage"

charlietheexterminator, todeen, tonyo, Santo10fan
Bocabirdman (5x), 8thEastVB, JCMTiger, Rjackson44
Republicaninmass, 73toppsmann, quinnsryche (2x),
Donscards.
Old 07-26-2021, 11:24 AM
Joh.n Spen.cer

Perhaps we have all gotten a bit spoiled by the multitude of blockbuster REA auctions over the years. The current auction looks great, initial bidding response strong and there should be something for all vintage junkies. Also, I suspect excitement about this week's National have some folks guarding their wallets in anticipation. Post Nat'l the 2nd week should see some serious action, as people are able to see the actual auction cards in REA's cases and may be disappointed in their luck in Chicago.
Old 07-26-2021, 11:30 AM
Ben
ben tay/lor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
I would love to understand where the flood of material is coming from. Is a whole generation of major collectors getting out, are card doctors stepping up their game/moving more of their accumulated inventory, some of each, something else?
If one concurs that a bull market peaked this past spring (which of course is debatable on another thread ) the consignment decisions from that time period would now be showing up at REA and Mile High, etc., no?
Old 07-26-2021, 11:42 AM
Chris
Chr.is Ta.bar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
Perhaps we have all gotten a bit spoiled by the multitude of blockbuster REA auctions over the years.
It's not just REA, it's all the big ones. I mean, even the fact that REA is headlined by a nice T206 Wagner isn't even a big deal. There have been several of those sold in recent months/years - it's just not unusual or exceptional anymore to see items like that offered.
Old 07-26-2021, 11:53 AM
Troy Rambo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengoughingForAwhile View Post
I can attest to that! The couple of times I ran through Newton and hit those hills at mile 20 or so it felt like there was no air in Newton, fresh or not!

And FWIW, Peter is one of the best things going on this forum.
Those hills were killer, that's for sure!! Congrats on your finishes, too! 08,10 and 11 for me (charity fundraiser all 3x). Can't speak to the air in Newton as I was just happy to be moving forward and able to breathe at that point...haha!
Old 07-26-2021, 12:11 PM
Joe M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjudge View Post
Don’t get me wrong, I think it is a solid auction even without the Wagner, especially for 19th century. I was just wondering why more people aren’t talking about it.
No Detroit though.

Collecting Detroit 19th Century N172, N173, N175.
N172 Detroit. Getzein, McGlone, Rooks, Wheelock, Gillligan, Kid Baldwin Error, Lady Baldwin, Conway, Deacon White

Positive transactions with Joe G, Jay Miller, CTANK80, BIGFISH, MGHPRO, k. DIXON, LEON, INSIDETHEWRAPPER, GOCUBSGO32, Steve Suckow, RAINIER2004, Ben Yourg, GNAZ01, yanksrnice09, cmiz5290, Kris Sweckard (Kris19),Angyal, Chuck Tapia,Belfast1933,bcbgcbrcb,fusorcruiser, tsp06, cobbcobb13
Old 07-26-2021, 12:16 PM
mªttHǝɯ h0uℊℌ

My excitement at seeing the offerings was immediately tempered by the sky-high bidding only hours into it.
Old 07-26-2021, 01:17 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

There's one thing in there I might chase a bit...

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 07-26-2021, 01:24 PM
Chase

Quote:
Look, there are people (see above) who prefer their hobby through rose-colored glasses, and I get that.
They have slab values to protect so please take a break from posting about all the scandals and hobby issues 24/7/365. You can come back when you can post something positive about the hobby. Didn't your mommy teach you to keep quiet if you have nothing nice to say?
Old 07-26-2021, 02:08 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorewalker View Post
They have slab values to protect so please take a break from posting about all the scandals and hobby issues 24/7/365. You can come back when you can post something positive about the hobby. Didn't your mommy teach you to keep quiet if you have nothing nice to say?
I'm headed to the corner for a time out, then to the blackboard to write "I love the hobby" 50 times.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 07-26-2021, 04:50 PM
J@son Per1

I’m kind of in the middle on this brew ha ha. I think the hobby is doing great and vintage is gonna cook these next few years. I don’t really agree with all the negativity around the TPGs but yeah there are definitely issues with cheats and card doctoring no doubt. Gonna be Switzerland on this one. Definitely an entertaining thread in any event.
Old 07-26-2021, 05:33 PM
Brian May
Bri.an M@y

Quote:
I'm headed to the corner for a time out, then to the blackboard to write "I love the hobby" 50 times.
Your opinion is highly informed. You have excellent, thorough, researched opinions. I respect that.

However.

In this thread, you posted 5 of the first 10 posts.

In this Jordan thread, you had 18 of the 77 posts.

https://www.net54baseball.com/showth...=305262&page=2

I get it - you found that there are cheaters. Bravo. Thank you. Thanks for the warning.

I just don't need to read the same material over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over.

.... and over and over and over.

Have a nice day.
Old 07-26-2021, 05:36 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

I can promise you not everyone feels the way you do. You have your right to your opinion just like everyone else. I appreciate all of Peter's (hi Peter) posts even when I disagree with what he said .

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutbum97 View Post
Your opinion is highly informed. You have excellent, thorough, researched opinions. I respect that.

However.

In this thread, you posted 5 of the first 10 posts.

In this Jordan thread, you had 18 of the 77 posts.

https://www.net54baseball.com/showth...=305262&page=2

I get it - you found that there are cheaters. Bravo. Thank you. Thanks for the warning.

I just don't need to read the same material over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over.

.... and over and over and over.

Have a nice day.
Old 07-26-2021, 05:36 PM
Peter Spaeth

Many of my posts are responding to people or specifically answering questions, there is still such a thing in life as dialogue, but in any event, just put me on ignore, it's easy enough to do. Problem solved. Have a nice day too.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 07-26-2021 at 05:38 PM.
Old 07-26-2021, 05:50 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Quote:
Many of my posts are responding to people or specifically answering questions, there is still such a thing in life as dialogue, but in any event, just put me on ignore, it's easy enough to do. Problem solved. Have a nice day too.
Many of your posts on BST are giving away cards to kids for free, your generosity as a collector on this forum gives you carty blanchy (sic) to post as much as you want IMHO.

-
Old 07-26-2021, 07:35 PM
Bill T.

I was talking to a client this morning. His company has been buying businesses like crazy this year (vacation rentals). He says many sellers are concerned about possible changes in capital gains taxes.

Bill
Old 07-26-2021, 09:03 PM
Joh.n Spen.cer

Small violin, please.
Old 07-27-2021, 04:48 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdman42 View Post
I was talking to a client this morning. His company has been buying businesses like crazy this year (vacation rentals). He says many sellers are concerned about possible changes in capital gains taxes.

Bill
?????
Old 07-27-2021, 05:15 PM
Johnny MaZilli

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdman42 View Post

Bill
Up up and away.
Old 07-27-2021, 05:42 PM
Mark Arzoumanian

Default 1952 Topps Jackie Robinson Question

I noticed that in this auction there's a PSA 8 1952 Topps Jackie Robinson (lot 5) that started at a minimum bid of $25,000 and an SGC 8 Topps 1952 Jackie Robinson (lot 6) that started at a minimum bid of $10,000.
My question: Why did REA start the bidding at such a WIDE disparity? The centering on the PSA card MIGHT be a tad better. Might.
Why do I ask? I have a SGC 7.5 1952 Topps Jackie Robinson and I'm wondering if I should break it out (when I am ready to sell) and roll the dice by submitting to PSA.
I am planning to go to the National and will ask REA this question BUT I thought the forum might have some insights. What am I missing? Thanks. Peace.
Old 07-27-2021, 05:51 PM
Johnny MaZilli

Quote:
Originally Posted by marzoumanian View Post
I noticed that in this auction there's a PSA 8 1952 Topps Jackie Robinson (lot 5) that started at a minimum bid of $25,000 and an SGC 8 Topps 1952 Jackie Robinson (lot 6) that started at a minimum bid of $10,000.
My question: Why did REA start the bidding at such a WIDE disparity? The centering on the PSA card MIGHT be a tad better. Might.
Why do I ask? I have a SGC 7.5 1952 Topps Jackie Robinson and I'm wondering if I should break it out (when I am ready to sell) and roll the dice by submitting to PSA.
I am planning to go to the National and will ask REA this question BUT I thought the forum might have some insights. What am I missing? Thanks. Peace.
Prob the consigned asked for that price as starting bid.

I would absolutely not break it out and send to PSA. SGC 7.5 is Great :-)
Old 07-27-2021, 06:05 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Often the consignor has input regarding where they want the bidding to start. Perhaps that happened in this case. I know PSA slabs sell for more, but have found that 7-8 times out of ten, the SGC card will be superior to the PSA card with the same grade.
Old 07-27-2021, 06:12 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
PSA is CRUSHING cards these days. I am not believing the gorgeous 6s I am seeing that people are showing me. Probably a colossal failure of AI and failure of graders to override the AI grade. The problem is now that they are fingerprinting cards good luck ever getting them to change it.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 07-27-2021 at 06:13 PM.
Old 07-27-2021, 06:16 PM
Mark Arzoumanian

Default Thank You

Thank you, gentlemen, for your insights. Three veteran Net54ers sharing their knowledge. Isn't that what this forum is all about?!?
I didn't know I could exercise that kind of clout with an auction house. I remember REA's Calvin Arnold asking me what I was expecting price-wise when I turned over to him my Topps 1971 and 1972 baseball sets earlier this year. I told him, "Calvin, whatever the market is at this time is fine with me. Please, just keep the auction honest (no shill bidders)."
You learn something new every day, right? Peace.

Last edited by marzoumanian; 07-27-2021 at 06:17 PM.
Old 07-27-2021, 06:33 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Quote:
I sold my 52Jack at auction in the Spring head to head, my SGC4 against a PSA 4. Mine was the nicer card by a small margin. It sold for 3K less than the PSA. If you have a 6.5 it will sell well either way, especially if it has eye appeal. Take it to the National and ask PSA what grade they would put on it.

-
Old 07-27-2021, 08:33 PM

Default Charge ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey2296 View Post
I sold my 52Jack at auction in the Spring head to head, my SGC4 against a PSA 4. Mine was the nicer card by a small margin. It sold for 3K less than the PSA. If you have a 6.5 it will sell well either way, especially if it has eye appeal. Take it to the National and ask PSA what grade they would put on it.

..What would PSA charge to look at an SGC card and tell the owner what the crossed grade would be ?? Would they even be able to do that at an overwhelmed National set-up ?

Old 07-27-2021, 08:43 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeGarcia View Post
..What would PSA charge to look at an SGC card and tell the owner what the crossed grade would be ?? Would they even be able to do that at an overwhelmed National set-up ?

Maybe, might be best to have REA back door it for an opinion in exchange for a potential consignment.

-
Old 07-27-2021, 08:50 PM
Mark Arzoumanian

Default Quick Answer? No

Quick answer, Mike, is no. They wouldn't have the time.
My SGC 7.5 '52 Jackie Robinson is a real beauty that I am proud to own.
If I am BRUTALLY honest, my initial question on this subject reveals a bit of greed on my part, especially if you look at how the prices on the two '52 Robinsons in the current auction have gone over the past few days. I am still going to ask REA about the HUGE initial differential simply because it smells of preference, IMHO.
Old 07-27-2021, 09:07 PM
Ran-jodh Dh.ill0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
I can only speak for myself. The major consignments I've gotten in over the last year or so have all been either older collectors who are realizing that there is no interest in the collection from the next generation of their family.

or

The next generation of the family dealing with a collection that has been left behind.

Many of scenario #2 have been sitting on the cards for some time now but all the mainstream press about cards has hit the general public's radar and motivated them to act.

Sad side note, even some of these legacy collections that have been in one set of hands for decades are not free from the insidious card doctors. Collections that were still being added to more recently are RIDDLED with problem cards. It's astonishing. I've got trimmed 1952 Topps Mantle, Trimmed 1933 Goudey Ruth Red, Altered 1934 Goudey Gehrig, a stunning 1949 Duke Snider rookie that is probably trimmed, it goes on and on.

Oh and almost all of these collections are raw.

Just my personal observation I can't speak for every auction.
These cards could have been trimmed back in the disco days for all we know. The Rosen book I recently read pointed out that cards have been getting altered for a long time.
Old 07-27-2021, 09:10 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Quote:
Quick answer, Mike, is no. They wouldn't have the time.
My SGC 7.5 '52 Jackie Robinson is a real beauty that I am proud to own.
If I am BRUTALLY honest, my initial question on this subject reveals a bit of greed on my part, especially if you look at how the prices on the two '52 Robinsons in the current auction have gone over the past few days. I am still going to ask REA about the HUGE initial differential simply because it smells of preference, IMHO.
Ask Brian if he can get a pre grade opinion from PSA, if it crosses at 7.5 or even a 7 PSA you're in business and will be very happy. The more interesting question to me is what card you're going to buy with the money.

-
Old 07-28-2021, 04:27 AM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by samosa4u View Post
These cards could have been trimmed back in the disco days for all we know. The Rosen book I recently read pointed out that cards have been getting altered for a long time.
No doubt. Doesn't change anything I said though.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 07-28-2021, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutbum97 View Post
You're on here 24/7/365, bitching about the card industry.

Everything is a fake, a fraud or a scam. And you continually post over & over & over. *OCD* You have 5 posts already on this fresh thread.

This REA auction is fantastic. I'm loving it. I'm hoping to pick up a few cards that I have been searching for over a year, and they've turned up here.
A few other mixed lots I hope to snag, too. I'm excited. Thrilled. Hopeful.

But, you keep being you, bitching & posting 24/7/365. You saturate these threads with constant negativity.
Your constant negativity has even carried over into the Robert Edwards arena.

Maybe you should log off and take a walk in the fresh air. The world is not so dark & grim away from your keyboard.

Brian May

I'll defend Peter. He is one of the most valuable and prolific resources on this Board, in particular for exposing fraud in the hobby.
Old 07-28-2021, 07:40 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Peter is a solid member here. I don't always agree with his posts but they are always on-point and interesting.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 07-28-2021, 07:43 AM

Anyone else having an issue logging into REA? Every time I do it says I need to update my password. But every time I update my password the site doesn't recognize the new password when I go to log in. I have to enter the old password again and am prompted endlessly to update it.
Old 07-28-2021, 09:27 AM
Jay Shumsky

Quote:
Anyone else having an issue logging into REA? Every time I do it says I need to update my password. But every time I update my password the site doesn't recognize the new password when I go to log in. I have to enter the old password again and am prompted endlessly to update it.
I had to update my password a few days ago and also confirm my account information, but since I did the update, I have logged in with my new password with no issues.
Old 07-28-2021, 09:30 AM

I finally got it to work.
Old 07-28-2021, 12:32 PM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny630 View Post
Peter I think it’s coming from guys who are long time collectors that think these numbers are to good to be true and they think he’ll why not time some stuff. Most prob never thought in the 90’s stuff would be selling like this.

That’s just my theory...take some risk off the table.
This is my philosophy of late, I have switched to obscure issues and errors as I refuse to bury myself in losses when this returns to the norm. It has been a fight to not clear the drawers with all this new blood in the water when these new collectors are buying like this is 2007 real estate and completely bought into the "investment". I'll be back buying the good pieces in a few years that are soaking in the tears of these noobs.

...also Peter is amazing and needed on this forum for his knowledge and honesty. He'll also still be here in years unlike the rotating cast of characters, lol.

Player collecting - Lance Parrish, Jim Davenport, John Norlander.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.