NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 10-26-2015, 02:30 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387
Default When to know the hobby is DIEing!

There are canaries in the coalmines as it were to show me when prices are really falling

one example would be to see any 1952 Topps PSA 8 card sell for less than $100.00 on ebay auction.....if you see that..post it

any other types of things?

Last edited by 1952boyntoncollector; 10-26-2015 at 05:05 PM.
Old 10-26-2015, 04:20 PM
Al Richter

Default Dying

I plan to go before the hobby does so I do not meditate much on the subject.

There may be some clues to the signs of the end coming in Revelations

Last edited by ALR-bishop; 10-26-2015 at 04:22 PM.
Old 10-26-2015, 04:33 PM
M.att C H A R L T O N

Default Dying

Eyem knot shure. Maibee nevor.
Old 10-26-2015, 05:04 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laxcat View Post
Eyem knot shure. Maibee nevor.
Eyem knot shure eeether. Wow you are soooo witty! here is a cookie for you..i mean eiuu..
Old 10-26-2015, 05:25 PM
Ben North

Types of thing I would look for are the apocalypse, super volcano erupting, global war, or maybe a giant meteor hitting the planet.

Seriously I have been hearing the hobby is dying since the end of the junk era. I doubt it will go away totally but will change like it has for many decades.
The only thing I see changing is the magic plastic holders will no longer be magic and prices will be closer to raw. I believe the insane prices will burst like the .COM bubble otherwise just another day in paradise.
Old 10-26-2015, 05:34 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
Types of thing I would look for are the apocalypse, super volcano erupting, global war, or maybe a giant meteor hitting the planet.

Seriously I have been hearing the hobby is dying since the end of the junk era. I doubt it will go away totally but will change like it has for many decades.
The only thing I see changing is the magic plastic holders will no longer be magic and prices will be closer to raw. I believe the insane prices will burst like the .COM bubble otherwise just another day in paradise.
good points actually...so when we see Mike Schmidt 1974 PSA 10 not sell for $1000..that would be a start of it as it were
Old 10-27-2015, 01:38 AM
Larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALR-bishop View Post
I plan to go before the hobby does so I do not meditate much on the subject.

There may be some clues to the signs of the end coming in Revelations
+1, Al. Also, maybe when you see REA's auction catalogs go back to the 7 or 8 pages of newsprint form they were in the '90's.

Best regards,

Larry
Old 10-27-2015, 06:39 AM
M.att C H A R L T O N

Thanks for noticing how witty I am!

Question: why do you even visit this forum? Hobby is dying, card prices are going to fall, hitting for the cycle is no big deal,blah, blah, blah....

You are an old curmudgeon; a dinosaur. I'm glad you won't be around for the next 30 years. You are exactly the type of person that keeps people from joining our great hobby. So why don't you just give all your cards to kids? Or, if you are afraid the bottom is going to fall out, sell them now.
If you got rid of all of your cards then we wouldn't have to read the drivel you type everyday.
Old 10-27-2015, 06:47 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:

Question: why do you even visit this forum? Hobby is dying, card prices are going to fall, hitting for the cycle is no big deal,blah, blah, blah....

You are an old curmudgeon; a dinosaur. I'm glad you won't be around for the next 30 years. You are exactly the type of person that keeps people from joining our great hobby. So why don't you just give all your cards to kids? Or, if you are afraid the bottom is going to fall out, sell them now.
If you got rid of all of your cards then we wouldn't have to read the drivel you type everyday.

Ditto!
Old 10-27-2015, 06:52 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:

Mark thanks for the kindness.

Look yall. I lost my temper. Happens. I'm keeping it out of the threads from now on.

Cheers
Matt

---heck you posted this a few days ago....now your recent post on this thread....hmmm the cycle repeats ...off your medication?

I don't care if all the cards lose value ..its a hobby...but the topic of cards losing their value is obviously an issue of discussion on this forum..you cant deny that......and yeah hitting for the cycle is no bid deal...glad you remembered that from another thread..i don't remember anything you said that was discussed or would care to remember to bring up 4 months later.....peace..

Last edited by 1952boyntoncollector; 10-27-2015 at 07:01 AM.
Old 10-27-2015, 08:20 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1952boyntoncollector View Post
Mark thanks for the kindness.

Look yall. I lost my temper. Happens. I'm keeping it out of the threads from now on.

Cheers
Matt

---heck you posted this a few days ago....now your recent post on this thread....hmmm the cycle repeats ...off your medication?

I don't care if all the cards lose value ..its a hobby...but the topic of cards losing their value is obviously an issue of discussion on this forum..you cant deny that......and yeah hitting for the cycle is no bid deal...glad you remembered that from another thread..i don't remember anything you said that was discussed or would care to remember to bring up 4 months later.....peace..
Old 10-27-2015, 06:47 AM

Been hearing that for decades. Been hoping for it to come true for decades. When the hobby "dies," I'm goin shopping for NM 1953 Topps cards. Not gonna hold my breath waiting for it though.

Last edited by Gr8Beldini; 10-27-2015 at 06:47 AM.
Old 10-27-2015, 03:08 PM

Default hobby is dying??????

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1952boyntoncollector View Post
There are canaries in the coalmines as it were to show me when prices are really falling

one example would be to see any 1952 Topps PSA 8 card sell for less than $100.00 on ebay auction.....if you see that..post it

any other types of things?
I guess you would need to define what the "hobby" is first of all. There are definitely two camps on this matter. The monetary camp and the nostalgia camp.

If you are talking about the value or perceived value of your collection you would be sitting around the fire at the monetary camp. In my humble opinion this camp worries far to much about money to really enjoy the "hobby". I believe that the monetary camp suffers from a form of malaise that can only be cured when you "score or make a monetary killing" That in itself leads me to believe the "hobby" in general is sick but not dead. I can go on to explain my beliefs for several reasons. I will go into that later if anyone would like to debate that

Now over on nostalgia camp the s'mores are being passed around, the fire is crackling and the beers are sliding down just fine. As the population in general ages (yep I'm an old guy) the hobby is thriving. We baby boomers are getting back into the hobby because we all would like to have a piece of our childhood, we enjoy speaking about little known players that we watched a s a kid, or we have had a lifelong interest in whatever sport floats your boat (hockey then baseball for me). We also have some spare pocket change and the wisdom to spend it on items that we like within reason. We buy sell or trade with a different goal in mind. For me it is to complete sets I started as a kid, to rekindle the memories of Tim Horton and the powerful player he was, to remember Bobby Orr as one of the greatest. On the baseball side I enjoy listening to my brother talk about the greats he grew up watching or listening to, Bob Feller Willie Mays, Enos Slaughter, Berra and the Mick, Jackie Robinson as well as all the lesser known players. He sat around the radio and listen to anything baseball for decades, we were poor and didn't have a tv until the late 60's. Baseball for me was all about the the Pirates and the start of the Jays who I now follow intently. Yep I am a Canadian.

So in closing it depends on which camp you are going to this summer or winter. As we all know not all camps are the same!!!!!

Last edited by Billwinkle; 10-27-2015 at 03:13 PM.
Old 10-27-2015, 03:26 PM
Don

This thread killed the hobby.
Old 10-27-2015, 04:10 PM
Al Richter

Default Hobby

Good post Bill....at least for an old guy
Old 10-27-2015, 04:59 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billwinkle View Post
I guess you would need to define what the "hobby" is first of all. There are definitely two camps on this matter. The monetary camp and the nostalgia camp.

If you are talking about the value or perceived value of your collection you would be sitting around the fire at the monetary camp. In my humble opinion this camp worries far to much about money to really enjoy the "hobby". I believe that the monetary camp suffers from a form of malaise that can only be cured when you "score or make a monetary killing" That in itself leads me to believe the "hobby" in general is sick but not dead. I can go on to explain my beliefs for several reasons. I will go into that later if anyone would like to debate that

Now over on nostalgia camp the s'mores are being passed around, the fire is crackling and the beers are sliding down just fine. As the population in general ages (yep I'm an old guy) the hobby is thriving. We baby boomers are getting back into the hobby because we all would like to have a piece of our childhood, we enjoy speaking about little known players that we watched a s a kid, or we have had a lifelong interest in whatever sport floats your boat (hockey then baseball for me). We also have some spare pocket change and the wisdom to spend it on items that we like within reason. We buy sell or trade with a different goal in mind. For me it is to complete sets I started as a kid, to rekindle the memories of Tim Horton and the powerful player he was, to remember Bobby Orr as one of the greatest. On the baseball side I enjoy listening to my brother talk about the greats he grew up watching or listening to, Bob Feller Willie Mays, Enos Slaughter, Berra and the Mick, Jackie Robinson as well as all the lesser known players. He sat around the radio and listen to anything baseball for decades, we were poor and didn't have a tv until the late 60's. Baseball for me was all about the the Pirates and the start of the Jays who I now follow intently. Yep I am a Canadian.

So in closing it depends on which camp you are going to this summer or winter. As we all know not all camps are the same!!!!!
that was another well thought out post....all I can say is you being Canadian..is there any truth that tim hortons' could of been called wayne gretskys but he passed on the franchise? I haven't googled it
Old 10-27-2015, 05:20 PM

Default nope

No truth to that rumour (canadian spelling). Tim Horton started his first doughnut shop before Gretzky was even born I believe. Gretzky did have one or two restaurants called Gretzkys as well. I know Getzky's was in Toronto. Wayne was around when Tim's wife sold the chain of restaurants but they were sold to Tims' business partner. Gretzky does have a sports complex and a parkway named after him in his home town of Brantford.
Old 10-27-2015, 05:59 PM
Bob Ev@ns
Banned

hortons was the inspiration behind "stan mikita's donut shop" in wayne's world.

worth a google.
Old 10-27-2015, 06:41 PM
Rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by begsu1013 View Post
hortons was the inspiration behind "stan mikita's donut shop" in wayne's world.

worth a google.
Old 10-27-2015, 06:03 PM
Al Richter

Default Parkway

Bill--Do people park on parkways in Canada or do they drive on parkways and park on driveways like here
Old 10-27-2015, 06:10 PM
Bob Ev@ns
Banned

why does hawaii have interstates? waffle houses have locks?

"how exactly is a rainbow made? how exactly does the sun set?
how exactly does the posi-trac rear end on a plymouth work!? it just does!"

Last edited by begsu1013; 10-27-2015 at 07:03 PM.