NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-30-2023, 09:13 PM

Default Colgans Chips- Sepia variations

I was corresponding with a fellow collector of Colgans Chips. We both have a handful of these cards that appear to have a sepia tone instead of the usual black and white tint. Has anyone else noticed this and do you have a few in your collection?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Scan_20230325 (2).jpg (200.3 KB, 295 views)
Old 04-30-2023, 11:56 PM

From the scan I am not seeing a sepia tone, which I have always understood to mean that it would have a brownish tint to the image, like one of the more frequently encountered tint variations in the Batter-Up set, and the overlay on various areas of the 1922 Zeenut, as seen in the examples below.

The Colgan on the left does seem to have a different tone to it, but to my eyes it is just a slight variation of gray.

Brian
Attached Images
File Type: jpg batterupjohnson949.jpg (185.7 KB, 271 views)
File Type: jpg zeenut22sheehan076.jpg (106.0 KB, 272 views)
Old 05-01-2023, 01:15 AM
Rhett Yeakley

It is almost more of a Purple-ish tint and they are more apparent in hand than a scan shows. I have had several over the years, though they are not common.

ebay store: kryvintage-->https://www.ebay.com/sch/kryvintage/...p2047675.l2562
Old 05-01-2023, 11:50 AM
Ed Hans

Default Re: Colgans Chips- Sepia variations

Are both backs printed in black? There is a very scarce violet print type.
Old 05-01-2023, 04:00 PM

After Rhett's and Ed's posts, I checked my Colgan's, and I do have this White - Buffalo (the middle Colgan's card in both scans). I guess the front seems to have a slightly purple/bluish 'wash' look to it, and the back print is somewhat violet-esque. Though if I close my eyes I don't see these tints as well, in fact all I see is wall of darkness. The back does have a little damage and the print seems smeary, so perhaps there is some correlation...?

Brian
Attached Images
File Type: jpg e254colgansvioletwhite 001.jpg (196.1 KB, 211 views)
File Type: jpg e254colgansvioletwhitebacks 002.jpg (153.4 KB, 206 views)
Old 05-01-2023, 04:04 PM
Rhett Yeakley

You are exactly right (as is Ed) with the purple-ish tint to the card. The back in your scan is kinda clearly a little purple on the White card.

ebay store: kryvintage-->https://www.ebay.com/sch/kryvintage/...p2047675.l2562
Old 05-03-2023, 01:07 PM

Thanks Rhett/Richard/Ed, fun to know that these purplish variations exist and what to look for. Another tough variation are the cards with "208 in Present Series" line on the back bottom. I have never been able to snag one of these bad boys. Here is a scan of some that a member here posted a long time ago.

Brian
Attached Images
File Type: jpg e254series208.jpg (69.9 KB, 160 views)

Last edited by brianp-beme; 05-03-2023 at 01:07 PM.
Old 05-03-2023, 08:46 PM
Chad

Does anyone have a Clemons Louisville they would sell?
Old 05-03-2023, 09:51 PM
Frank Wakefield

I've exchanged emails with a fellow collector who mentioned these.

Random thoughts...

1- was there a print run or two with this different color (I'll go with sepia)??

2- are all subjects available with both sepia images and black and white images?

3- were the sepia cards actually a slight purple tint... violet! To be found in the Violet Chips tins back in the day (which further suggests that Mint Chips sold much better than Violet Chips)????

I had these out not long ago, I know where to find them. I'll get them out and get pictures up in a few days.
Old 05-11-2023, 09:55 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianp-beme View Post
Thanks Rhett/Richard/Ed, fun to know that these purplish variations exist and what to look for. Another tough variation are the cards with "208 in Present Series" line on the back bottom. I have never been able to snag one of these bad boys. Here is a scan of some that a member here posted a long time ago.

Brian
Those are cool. So hard to find. I have had, I think, 1 over the years.