NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-24-2019, 04:37 PM
Ryan
Ryan McCla.nahan

Default Hobby Pioneer John D. Wagner

I was doing a little research on Hobby Pioneer John D. Wagner and came across this -

I seem to have a foggy memory that he was a Master Sgt. in the Army Air Corps/Air Force Recruiting Center in Harrisburg, PA and buried in Arlington National Cemetery around 1988 or 89 but I'm unsure.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg John D..jpg (90.6 KB, 359 views)
Old 10-27-2019, 08:55 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default Very Early Baseball Card Hobby Letters

Here is some fun reading on John Wagner......Not sure if you have seen this..

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthr...=207944&page=3

Old 10-28-2019, 10:37 AM
Ryan
Ryan McCla.nahan

Those are great! Right during the very beginning on the Hobby too. John D. Wagner is a difficult man to find anything on.He was born in Hegins, PA and tells a great story of how he acquired his first T206s. I know really nothing about his family so this is interesting. He has a draft card from WWI but it dosent look like he went into the service until 1926 -when he would've been 27 or 28? In the mid 30's his occupation says "painter" and he was on active duty in the Army Air Corps from 1941-1956, retiring as a Master Sgt. It looks like he spent most of his time at the Harrisburg Recruiting Center and was able to hop on a plane anywhere in the country and acquire cards. Looks like he was buried at Arlington National Cemetery around 1988-89. Of course I could be wrong on some of this and there are a lot of gaps and a lot as a collector. Was he writing in the Card Collector's Bulletin or known to have assisted Burdick with the Card Catalogs?
Old 10-28-2019, 12:51 PM
David Kathman

Quote:
Originally Posted by topcat61 View Post
Those are great! Right during the very beginning on the Hobby too. John D. Wagner is a difficult man to find anything on.He was born in Hegins, PA and tells a great story of how he acquired his first T206s. I know really nothing about his family so this is interesting. He has a draft card from WWI but it dosent look like he went into the service until 1926 -when he would've been 27 or 28? In the mid 30's his occupation says "painter" and he was on active duty in the Army Air Corps from 1941-1956, retiring as a Master Sgt. It looks like he spent most of his time at the Harrisburg Recruiting Center and was able to hop on a plane anywhere in the country and acquire cards. Looks like he was buried at Arlington National Cemetery around 1988-89. Of course I could be wrong on some of this and there are a lot of gaps and a lot as a collector. Was he writing in the Card Collector's Bulletin or known to have assisted Burdick with the Card Catalogs?
Below is an article about John D. Wagner that was published in the 1983 Sport Americana Baseball Card Price Guide (the annual Beckett Guide). It is primarily about his card collecting history, without much about his personal life. I originally posted it in this thread:

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=207915

As that article notes, Wagner met Jefferson Burdick in 1936 and did write for Card Collector's Bulletin and other early hobby publications. In the 1940s he often had half-page ads in CCB that were hand-drawn and listed cards and sets he needed. He also occasionally wrote articles for Burdick, such as this one from the October 1, 1941 CCB, recounting his meeting with Honus Wagner. I originally posted it in this post:

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=239973

Finally, this post includes some letters from Charles Bray to Wagner, and has links to other Wagner letters that Leon has posted:

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=242090
Old 10-31-2019, 08:43 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default Wags didn't like tobacco!!

Love the reason why Honus Wagner didn't want his picture on cards confirmation. Thanks for posting it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trdcrdkid View Post
Below is an article about John D. Wagner that was published in the 1983 Sport Americana Baseball Card Price Guide (the annual Beckett Guide). It is primarily about his card collecting history, without much about his personal life. I originally posted it in this thread:

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=207915

As that article notes, Wagner met Jefferson Burdick in 1936 and did write for Card Collector's Bulletin and other early hobby publications. In the 1940s he often had half-page ads in CCB that were hand-drawn and listed cards and sets he needed. He also occasionally wrote articles for Burdick, such as this one from the October 1, 1941 CCB, recounting his meeting with Honus Wagner. I originally posted it in this post:

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=239973

Finally, this post includes some letters from Charles Bray to Wagner, and has links to other Wagner letters that Leon has posted:

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=242090