NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Buy/Sell/Trade Section (must login, caveat emptor) > 19th Century Cards & ALL Baseball Postcards- B/S/T

Old 03-24-2018, 11:44 AM
David Seid.eman

Default Whitney w/ Dog Old Judge n172 (LOTG)

Closing tonight in Love of the Game Auctions.

http://loveofthegameauctions.com/188...-LOT14801.aspx

I wonder if the back is Whitney's signature, but it's impossible to tell.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg whitneyfront.jpg (38.7 KB, 403 views)
File Type: jpg whitneyback.jpg (37.3 KB, 403 views)
Old 03-24-2018, 06:16 PM
David Seid.eman

Default Story About Whitney w/ Dog (Love of the Game Auctions)

Excerpt from 3/21 Forbes story highlighting Whitney and Dog.

The Rich History of Dogs and Baseball Cards

“Like all dogs, they probably worshipped their human companion and didn’t know or care whether he was an all-star or a bench warmer,” wrote the late baseball card historian Bob Lemke about the many pooch-owning baseball players. “The dogs waited at home each night for the big guy to come home, sensing whether he’d gone 4-for-4 and would be up for a game of fetch.”

Images of dogs have been collectors’ and investors’ best friends since the beginning of baseball cards. And they fit any budget.

Let’s start out with one of the most popular baseball cards in history. In 1887 Old Judge cigarettes issued a tobacco card of a small dog named Midget putting his precious paw on the knee of iourneyman infielder Art Whitney.

This delightful card is believed to have been a commentary on Midget’s loyalty to his master versus Whitney’s to his teams. During the course of his career, from 1880 to 1891, Whitney bounced between ten clubs in six cities, though he may have simply been released due to his good-field, no-hit reputation.

The original owner of this Midget and Whitney, now for sale, was so proud that he wrote the date on the back when he acquired it. They sure don't write like that anymore.

Whatever the case, Midget and his master are pure cardboard gold. In 2016, an extremely rare oversized cabinet card version sold for a tail-wagging $18,000 in an Robert Edward auction. Last, September, a standard, smaller copy sold in a Mile High auction for $1,372, almost five times its historic average in an “Authentic” grade.

Whitney and Midget bring prices that dwarf all but the biggest stars among the Hall of Famers in the set. Although there are probably fewer than 100 copies in existence, as with other common poses from the set, you’re not too late to jump into the market. Heritage has one of the best copies, in excellent condition, up for auction starting March 28th. The pre-sale estimate is more than $4,000.

A more affordable alternative, about $1200 in good condition, is in a Love of the Game auction ending on March 24. The first owner of this very handsome example was so happy that he wrote the date of his acquisition—12/21/87— on the back. “Speculating about what the writing might be, and from where it may have originated, only adds to its appeal!” declares the auction house.
Old 03-26-2018, 10:58 PM
Hen.ry Mos.es

Default well

it's my only old judge baseball player card. I have it in my type collection as the idea of the pairing interested me. Hope you did well in the auction.
Old 03-26-2018, 11:32 PM
Banned

i thought someone got a bargain based on the popularity of that card and what they usually sell for (with apologies to the OP
Old 03-27-2018, 07:15 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedsFan1941 View Post
i thought someone got a bargain based on the popularity of that card and what they usually sell for (with apologies to the OP
I paid about that for mine (since sold) several years ago and it didn't look any better. I thought the price was spot on for that card.

Tags
old judge n172, whitney with dog