NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-01-2020, 04:28 PM
S Vincent

For those that didn't make the switch but had some things still listed, has it been determined that those keep rolling over and you are able to sell whatever you had listed before the deadline arrived?

I have to switch by Dec. 31 but I'm thinking about listing as much as possible before that and then retiring from eBay.
Old 12-01-2020, 04:46 PM
Joe Jones

Default ebay managed payments - anyone using this future mandatory service yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baseball Fan View Post
For those that didn't make the switch but had some things still listed, has it been determined that those keep rolling over and you are able to sell whatever you had listed before the deadline arrived?

I have to switch by Dec. 31 but I'm thinking about listing as much as possible before that and then retiring from eBay.

All of my previous listings rolled into managed payments but they were all BIN style. Not sure about auction style. Joe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My collection here:https://imageevent.com/joejo20

Last edited by joejo20; 12-01-2020 at 04:47 PM.
Old 12-01-2020, 06:24 PM
L@nce Fit.tro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baseball Fan View Post

Any Good Til Cancelled listings you have active before your drop-dead date will remain active and available for purchase until sold or ended by you. Whether eBay continues to include them in search results or disadvantages them in some way is not clearly indicated, but it seems likely that, all else equal, they will promote listings that are in Managed Payments over listings for the same items that are not in Managed Payments.

Any store subscriptions you have remain active and charged at the full rate, regardless of whether you can actually add new listings, and the same early-termination penalties for cancelled or downgrading your Store prior to the end of the annual term will apply.

That said, I am not 100% certain whether / how eBay actually blocks sellers from adding listings. My own experience was that unrelated issues with adding listings cropped up at about the same time as my deadline for entering Managed Payments, leading me to believe that eBay was blocking me from adding new listings. I'm now certain that the issue was not related (still an eBay issue, but unrelated to Managed Payments), but the timing was such that I went ahead and made the move rather than risk being cut off.

I have heard from at least one other who was still able to add new listings after their drop-dead date, which makes me wonder if I actually had to transition after all, but there's no "undo button" or save points in life or Managed Payments that would allow me to go back and try things differently. So far, Managed Payments has been okay, but I much preferred the previous arrangement with Paypal as the processor. As it is, with the delay in transferring funds from my bank account to Paypal (mostly to cover recurring expenses previously set to draft from my Paypal balance), I find myself both not using Paypal for making purchases, and making fewer purchases in general. I haven't had any issues with receiving my payouts from Managed Payments, but the delays and friction that the change has introduced in receiving and using those funds have made me much less likely to spend them back on eBay than when Paypal was my payments processor.

In my case, quitting eBay altogether wasn't really an option, but if you're looking at quitting eBay as an ultimate outcome anyway, what you have suggested seems reasonable. There wouldn't be any kind of penalty for loading up on new listings at the last minute (other than the usual listing fees that would otherwise apply), so the only risk would be sunk cost from listing or subscription fees if eBay hides the items from search visibility, or possibly early-termination fees for a store subscription. Otherwise, if something sells, you would continue to receive the funds in your Paypal account as usual until you opt in to Managed Payments, and I would be curious to hear if you are actually cut off, or still able to add new listings after your deadline. Either way though, I have not heard of any instances of eBay holding the proceeds from realized sales hostage to try and force a transition to Managed Payments.
Old 12-02-2020, 08:50 AM
S Vincent

Thanks for taking the time to give so much great info.

I'm a casual seller on eBay - use it mostly as a way to "edit" my collection - and don't have a store. I'm going to list a bunch of stuff by the end of this month and see if it works.

Maybe I'll eventually have to sign up for the new way of doing things, since it doesn't sound like too much of a horror show for any people here yet. I'm a creature of habit so I hate the thought of having to do anything different than what I'm accustomed to on eBay.
Old 01-27-2021, 03:33 PM
S Vincent

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatspajamas View Post
Otherwise, if something sells, you would continue to receive the funds in your Paypal account as usual until you opt in to Managed Payments, and I would be curious to hear if you are actually cut off, or still able to add new listings after your deadline. Either way though, I have not heard of any instances of eBay holding the proceeds from realized sales hostage to try and force a transition to Managed Payments.
Just wanted to update you since you said you'd be interested in hearing how things went.

I was supposed to switch over on Jan. 1, but I had decided that I was going to "retire" from eBay and just list as many things as I could and maybe someday decide to sign up for their new way of doing things.

Any way, they then extended the warning until Jan. 15. Then Jan. 25. Then I was still able to list on Jan. 26.

Today, they finally cut me off. So, you do have to eventually make the switch if you want to keep selling.
Old 01-27-2021, 04:36 PM
C0nor D0na.hue

I sell on ebay every once in a while and I switched over a couple weeks ago. It’s ludicrous. Instead of funds showing up instantly in your PP account, they go through a “processing”period and then a “payout” is made in the form of a bank transfer. Before, if I made a sale, as soon as payment was made I had access to the funds. Now it takes 4-5 days from time of payment to clearing my bank.

As far as fees go, I’m still not exactly sure how they are calculating. One sale was $529 minus $70.04 in fees = 13.24% and another was $330 minus $41.06=12.44%. Maybe they’re on a sliding scale now? IDK. All I do know is my eBay selling days are numbered.
Old 01-27-2021, 07:32 PM
Scott Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by conor912 View Post
I sell on ebay every once in a while and I switched over a couple weeks ago. It’s ludicrous. Instead of funds showing up instantly in your PP account, they go through a “processing”period and then a “payout” is made in the form of a bank transfer. Before, if I made a sale, as soon as payment was made I had access to the funds. Now it takes 4-5 days from time of payment to clearing my bank.

As far as fees go, I’m still not exactly sure how they are calculating. One sale was $529 minus $70.04 in fees = 13.24% and another was $330 minus $41.06=12.44%. Maybe they’re on a sliding scale now? IDK. All I do know is my eBay selling days are numbered.
One of the reasons your % of fees changes is the amount of sales tax being added to the payment based on the buyer's home state sales tax rate. You are paying EBAY fees on the sales tax that the buyer is paying, which EBAY is collecting and remitting to the state for you. I think I have said this correctly.

Last edited by mainemule; 01-27-2021 at 07:33 PM.
Old 01-28-2021, 11:25 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainemule View Post
One of the reasons your % of fees changes is the amount of sales tax being added to the payment based on the buyer's home state sales tax rate. You are paying EBAY fees on the sales tax that the buyer is paying, which EBAY is collecting and remitting to the state for you. I think I have said this correctly.
Which actually isn't a bad deal, since you might otherwise have to file and remit sales tax in up to 50 jurisdictions. Having them manage the sales tax for me takes huge headache out of my sales tax returns.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 01-28-2021, 12:00 PM
L@nce Fit.tro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
Which actually isn't a bad deal, since you might otherwise have to file and remit sales tax in up to 50 jurisdictions. Having them manage the sales tax for me takes huge headache out of my sales tax returns.
Ebay now collects and remits VAT (Value Added Tax) on sellers' behalf as well when shipping to the UK, regardless of the item's value or point of origin, only it doesn't appear on the seller's invoice like sales tax does. You have to look for it in the downloaded sales reports. Whooee, and I thought Tennessee sales tax was high!

Anyone had to deal with VAT for non-eBay shipments to the UK yet? Not sure it would be worth it for me to register for a VAT number and file quarterly reports (whether I actually have UK sales that quarter or not), so as Adam said for sales tax, I'm happy to let Ebay handle that.
Old 01-27-2021, 04:38 PM
M@rk S@tterstr0m

I set up a new account at my bank for ebay to connect to, and it works fine. Cash accumulates there instead of in my PayPal account. The ebay account is insulated from my other accounts, so in the event of a dispute or charge-back, only the ebay account can be impacted. When the balance gets high enough, I move money from the ebay account to my regular account, same as I used to do with PayPal.

I find the new process painless.
Old 01-27-2021, 04:54 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Thank God for BST - I have quit selling on ebay because of the 'managed payments' system.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I understood that I'd have to work with one of their banks...have an account at one of their banks?

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 01-27-2021, 05:49 PM
M@rk S@tterstr0m

Quote:
Originally Posted by clydepepper View Post
Thank God for BST - I have quit selling on ebay because of the 'managed payments' system.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I understood that I'd have to work with one of their banks...have an account at one of their banks?

No, you give them your bank routing info, same as you do with PayPal. So I set up a new account at my bank for that purpose, and I keep a small amount in it. The proceeds take a few days to be deposited into my account but otherwise it works fine.

Last edited by Mark17; 01-27-2021 at 05:51 PM.
Old 01-27-2021, 07:34 PM

I waited to the last minute to sign up, finally did on the 25th. I'm not sure how the fees compare yet....but I do know that it taking DAYS to get paid is a pain. I really miss the instant payout of Paypal.