NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 06-26-2021, 04:10 PM
Phil

Default 1972 Topps Baseball High Numbers Pricing

I'm working on completing my 1972 semi-high and high number series. Currently, there's an auction on eBay that I have multiple bids. I need the Bobby Murcer, but it's shot up to $65.00 and according to past auction results it may go over $100.00. There are several others that command high than normal prices as well on a consistent basis. Are these particular cards short-printed, or is there another reason?
Old 06-26-2021, 04:38 PM
Dave.Horn.ish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tere1071 View Post
I'm working on completing my 1972 semi-high and high number series. Currently, there's an auction on eBay that I have multiple bids. I need the Bobby Murcer, but it's shot up to $65.00 and according to past auction results it may go over $100.00. There are several others that command high than normal prices as well on a consistent basis. Are these particular cards short-printed, or is there another reason?
They've always been popular with collectors. When I set up at local shows in the late 80's you could never keep then in the showcase, even the commons. It's hard to compare with the 71's due to the edge issues on those but from 1968-73 they have always been the most sought after in my experience.
Old 06-26-2021, 05:10 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Definitely the most sought over series in the 70’s. I made a mistake by building a 72 Topps set instead of buying one complete, individual highs go for a lot. I still need most of them, and may not finish 72 because I’m not confident they are really worth the price for 70’s Topps cards. Not many bargains to be had with them, demand always seems consistently strong across the grading spectrum.
Old 06-26-2021, 05:39 PM
Mark Arzoumanian

Default Have a Plan

You don't make in clear, Phil, if it is graded or ungraded. I checked eBay just now and saw a 72 Murcer in NM-MT (and ungraded) going for $66. That could be the one you are talking about. As an aside, it looks real nice BUT personally I don't buy a card on eBay that has not been graded.
My quick advice? Buy it with a plan. By that I mean, set a price you will not go past (say, $90). Know your budget. If you win, great. If not, others will come along in just as nice condition, I assure you. Patience is key when you're buying. I'm 65 and waiting does pay off. Peace and good luck.
Old 06-26-2021, 06:06 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

None of the cards were short-printed, but there are a couple of other factors involved. A whole bunch of them are extremely tough to find centered, so centered versions sell for huge premiums. Problem is, other sellers see what similar-shaped cards have sold for (without taking into account the centering), and they list their OC cards for the same exorbitantly high prices (and/or auctions escalate to similar levels). Those prices aren't based on the real market, but they are what they are. There is also the New York factor, where the high numbered Yankees (including Bobby Murcer) and Mets (for instance, Koosman IA, who is hard to find centered) seemingly always do better than the usual commons or semi-stars, in my experience.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 06-27-2021, 11:26 PM
Phil

Thank you for the responses. Several things: I do plan out what I am attempting to purchase. Second, I am collecting the 1970-1972 sets unslabbed. They don't have to be perfectly centered as long as they're not miscut. For me, I want reasonably sharp corners with no creases.
Old 06-28-2021, 07:04 AM
Dave.Horn.ish

To Darren's point, the Koosman IA was considered, at least in the NY metro area, to be the hardest card in the 72 highs to find in what was once "high grade" raw (Ex-Mt or better essentially) back in the late 80's.

Last edited by toppcat; 06-28-2021 at 07:08 AM.
Old 06-29-2021, 01:47 PM
St3phen M@rchillo

I built the 72 set mostly over the last two years. Finished a couple months ago. I don’t remember the Murcer being difficult. In fact I don’t remember it at all. So I checked to make sure I had it. The Cey RC was a tough one although I think I have two of them now. The Carews are tough, that Koosman IA was also tough. I guess this is one of the toughest binder pages from the 70’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-29-2021, 06:01 PM
Patrick N.

Default Cey

Cey "The Penguin" def. pricey, Dempsey a small sleeper but nothing crazy. A couple other "triple rookie" high numbers a bit more. No technical short print/confusion unlike 71 which is sort of a roller coaster of prices within the high series.... The traded cards of HOFers (Maz, F. Rob. Morgan, Carlton, etc.) obviously more expensive. The 72 set is the ultimate "the price of the whole is not worth the sum of the parts" type of set which is why dealers like to buy these sets cheap and break it up.... There is a nice thread somewhere on this net54 universe that explains which vintage sets have best breakup value and 72 is high, '69 is not for example....As has been stated 72 centering is almost always off so one that is well centered both ways is quite desirable

Last edited by mintacular; 06-29-2021 at 06:03 PM.
Old 07-08-2021, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyElm View Post
None of the cards were short-printed, but there are a couple of other factors involved. A whole bunch of them are extremely tough to find centered, so centered versions sell for huge premiums. Problem is, other sellers see what similar-shaped cards have sold for (without taking into account the centering), and they list their OC cards for the same exorbitantly high prices (and/or auctions escalate to similar levels). Those prices aren't based on the real market, but they are what they are. There is also the New York factor, where the high numbered Yankees (including Bobby Murcer) and Mets (for instance, Koosman IA, who is hard to find centered) seemingly always do better than the usual commons or semi-stars, in my experience.
I wasn't alive when this set was issued, but I know people who were, and they have told me the 72 highs were very difficult (but not impossible) to find in Minnesota.
Old 02-20-2023, 11:32 AM
octavio ranzola

Im working on ex mint and graded 71/72/73 highs fun but insane too ,not easy great cards guys
Old 02-20-2023, 04:25 PM
octavio ranzola

Love this card
Attached Images
File Type: jpg C5EB4E00-0131-4B82-8A62-E77D911781F7.jpg (177.5 KB, 229 views)
Old 02-20-2023, 06:11 PM

Luckily In the mid 90’s I bought the complete series from Fritsch. Pretty sure they were put together via wax packs as some had stains on the back. Overall nm to nmmt with typical centering, some great some not. Looking at my registry set it looks like 3 graded mint as well.

John
Old 02-20-2023, 09:48 PM
Al Stein

Quote:
Originally Posted by marzoumanian View Post
You don't make in clear, Phil, if it is graded or ungraded. I checked eBay just now and saw a 72 Murcer in NM-MT (and ungraded) going for $66. That could be the one you are talking about. As an aside, it looks real nice BUT personally I don't buy a card on eBay that has not been graded.

My quick advice? Buy it with a plan. By that I mean, set a price you will not go past (say, $90). Know your budget. If you win, great. If not, others will come along in just as nice condition, I assure you. Patience is key when you're buying. I'm 65 and waiting does pay off. Peace and good luck.
I think Phil got the answers he wanted, so I hope he won't mind if I take this thread off-course.

I think if you want to buy a card, you should be prepared to pay the market price for it. If you set a budget of $60 for a $90 card, you are going to end up with either a crappy card or no card. And while you are waiting patiently for a magic deal, the card you passed up at $90 is going up, getting farther out of range.

Shaking your fist at the market is not going to make prices come down. Certain cards are expensive for a reason. You just need to accept that and spend your money.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
Old 02-20-2023, 10:08 PM
Phil

Since the first post in this discussion, I have finished the 1972 set, mostly in ex-mint condition. I have some upgrading to do, but I don't have any cards that are less than very good to excellent, so I can live with what I have. I have now turned my attention to the 1971 set; mostly upgrading with better-centered cards- 99 needed in total. Yes, Al, I agree with you and please continue with your shift from the initial discussion.

Phil aka Tere1071

Complete 1953 Bowman Color, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1974, and 1975 Topps Baseball sets under revision as the budget and wife allows

Under construction:
1970 Topps Baseball - missing over 100 cards, mostly after #450 and the three insert sets

1971 Topps Coins- 107/153

1974 Topps Baseball Washington variations
Old 02-21-2023, 11:35 AM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorditadogg View Post
I think Phil got the answers he wanted, so I hope he won't mind if I take this thread off-course.

I think if you want to buy a card, you should be prepared to pay the market price for it. If you set a budget of $60 for a $90 card, you are going to end up with either a crappy card or no card. And while you are waiting patiently for a magic deal, the card you passed up at $90 is going up, getting farther out of range.

Shaking your fist at the market is not going to make prices come down. Certain cards are expensive for a reason. You just need to accept that and spend your money.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
Either that or decide it's not worth it, and move on to something else.

Dealer's choice!

1963 Post complete panel
1968 American Oil left side
1971 Bazooka numbered complete panel
Old 02-22-2023, 12:32 PM
J0hn Collin$

They are definitely more expensive than they used to be. I started a '72 set about 3-4 years ago, and am about halfway done. Nice high numbers on eBay used to could be had in the $10 range if I remember, not so much anymore. I just paid $20 for a minty Rick Dempsey RC, which was probably too much - but the card caught my eye the other day and I was rendered helpless.
Old 02-22-2023, 04:38 PM

I was fortunate to complete my set back in 1992 or so and I think most of the NM Hi's were between $2 and $3 each for commons. The Dempsey was one of the last 2 or 3 I needed (last one was Pagan IA) and I think the guy charged me maybe 6 or 7 bucks THEN. Right now I'm starting a 1966 set, so it more than evens out in the long-run...
Old 02-23-2023, 07:24 AM
J0hn Collin$

Quote:
Originally Posted by deweyinthehall View Post
I was fortunate to complete my set back in 1992 or so and I think most of the NM Hi's were between $2 and $3 each for commons. The Dempsey was one of the last 2 or 3 I needed (last one was Pagan IA) and I think the guy charged me maybe 6 or 7 bucks THEN. Right now I'm starting a 1966 set, so it more than evens out in the long-run...
Even if '72 highs feel expensive, I have a feeling they will never touch the level of insanity that '67 now has achieved. Those high number cards might be the end of me. $100 and up for VG copies of players in some cases you have never heard of. Oh, and then there are those two very popular horizontal rookie cards...

Last edited by jchcollins; 02-23-2023 at 07:38 AM.
Old 02-23-2023, 08:08 AM
octavio ranzola

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchcollins View Post
Even if '72 highs feel expensive, I have a feeling they will never touch the level of insanity that '67 now has achieved. Those high number cards might be the end of me. $100 and up for VG copies of players in some cases you have never heard of. Oh, and then there are those two very popular horizontal rookie cards...
hi john omg agree